• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BF1 Beta Stats: <900k peak concurrent (2X+ SW:BF), platform splits, would be #3 Steam

RoKKeR

It seems the BF1 Beta is doing pretty well for itself. Here are few stats thanks to the folks over at the P-Stats Network:

• Almost 900k peak concurrent players (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMfdz9mbTrA &#8211; mentioned by Jackfrags at the start of this video)
  • Platform split &#8211; PS4: 43%, XBO: 34%, PC: 23%
  • SW Battlefront and BF Hardline open betas peaked at <400k concurrents, less than half as much as BF1
nAZb.png

Current player counts: http://bf1stats.com/
PC: 88,686 (24h peak: 143,105)
XBOXONE: 189,126 (24h peak: 224,732)
PS4: 251,050 (24h peak: 279,927)
Total: 528,862
I'm sure we'll get a more detailed breakdown from DICE after the Beta has finished.

On PC it would be the third most successful game on Steam today as well by almost a 2x margin:

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

PEAK TODAY | GAME

1,070,644 Dota 2
573,348 Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
143,105 Battlefield 1
73,858 Team Fortress 2
54,133 Sid Meier's Civilization V
54,859 ARK: Survival Evolved
53,570 Garry's Mod
45,108 Fallout 4
50,997 Rust
56,515 Football Manager 2016
43,243 Rocket League

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
What I thought BF had the biggest audience on PC?

Origin strikes again

etta

my hard graphic balls
Goddamn, only 1 million?!?!
Didn't the Gears 4 beta have like 1.3 million? And people said that was low (though I think it was those that tried to shit up the thread if I recall correctly).

Didn't the Gears 4 beta have like 1.3 million? And people said that was low (though I think it was those that tried to shit up the thread if I recall correctly).

Concurrent dude. I imagine the total is much higher.

~900k concurrent players. Gears 4 beta had 1.6M players download it and turn it on.

Man these numbers were completely different last gen. PS4's success is pretty nuts

Battlefield has been more prelevant on Playstation since BF3. I know it's not really useful now but BF3 still has a higher player count on PS3 than PC or the 360.

Nzyme32

CONCURRENT users.

This is insanely high

That is across all platforms. I'm not sure that is actually "insanely high". Not only that, but this is a free beta for people to try on all platforms.

An actual paid product is likely to have a different outcome, more so when you then look at concurrent numbers over time.

Its always been PS4.

*edit* beaten

Well if looking at the larger picture, BF used to be one of the most popular PC games in its days of 1942 / 2 / 2142. Now there are so many better PC shooters out there. There are also folks with their own grievances with the pricing and style of BF now rather than in the past, as well as Origin as a service

That is across all platforms. I'm not sure that is actually "insanely high". Not only that, but this is a free beta for people to try on all platforms.

An actual paid product is likely to have a different outcome, more so when you then look at concurrent numbers over time.

Yes. It is insanely high. Battlefront which had 9.5 million total players peaked at 400k.

This is over double that.

ViciousDS

Banned
1 million concurrent is quite a bit. I can assume downloads are around the 5 million+ mark. Seems like sales are going to be pretty damn good.

I hope the story is halfway decent....its one thing the series has always been really meh on. I would rather play call of duty's worst single player than battlefields best.

Either way if any of this translates to sales, should be a strong year for battlefield.

BigEmil

Well if looking at the larger picture, BF used to be one of the most popular PC games in its days of 1942 / 2 / 2142. Now there are so many better PC shooters out there. There are also folks with their own grievances with the pricing and style of BF now rather than in the past, as well as Origin as a service
BF1 is one of the best shooters on PC hardly any other shooters on PC can beat it at its level so that doesn't make sense just like BF4 for its time.

ShutterMunster

BF1 is one of the best shooters on PC hardly any other shooters on PC can beat it at its level so that doesn't make sense just like BF4 for its time.

This isn't much of a surprise. PC isn't the platform for those kind of experiences anymore. A game like BF doing bigger numbers on PC than console would be bizarre today.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Pretty high numbers.

The Xbone marketing deal is probably very wise as historically DICE game have been most popular on PlayStation. Good shit by EA from that perspective.

I've unfortunately have lost my historical data for DICE games, but I have a few images still up that show that this isn't super unusual. (PS4 lost share vs. BFH SWBF though.)

Lister

Banned
I don't think I'll buy this on PC. SW Battlefront is fucking dead and it seems BF1 will follow the same path. :(

The battlefields have always had healthy populations on PC. BAttlefront was a horribly lacking, extremly thin game. Not going to appeal to PC gamers whit a lot of more options in the genre.

Origin is definitely a barrier though. Not that these numbers aren't healthy for PC, in fact they seem pretty nice to me. It's not like you're going to be hurting for other players to play with simply because the PS4 has more.

If it was on Steam numbers would be doubled for PC at least.

I know I plan on picking up the game, but too lazy to load up Origin to try the beta :p

Oscar

Blizzard timed the Overwatch Ranked Season 2 to coincide with the open beta release, it definitely affected those PC figures.

Arulan

As someone who used to play Battlefield 1942 and Battlefield 2, and has tried the betas for some of their modern releases, such as Battlefield 1, I have to strongly disagree. DICE appears to be continuing to cater their franchise for the console and mainstream audience, and as such, I expect the PC audience will continue to diminish.

Some of the problems I experienced in the beta were: That of spawning planes and the repercussions that brings. The extremely fast death-to-back-into-the-action time, where you can within a handful of seconds be back in the same area (Squad spawn) or next-door (Point spawn). Death becomes meaningless resulting in the diminished value of Medics and Support roles. You no longer have to walk back from a base and push forward. Front-lines and the accompanying strategies of having one show up infrequently due to the chaos the aforementioned problems bring. The poor map in the beta certainly contributes to this as well. Tanks can repair within the tank itself by holding a button, without class restriction. Character progression is heavily emphasized. Visual and audio design are top-notch, but that's the AAA industry today, prioritizing production values above all else. This is hardly Battlefield, and if this is considered one of the best shooters on PC I can only help but laugh.

PS4 is a juggernaut when it comes to user base, wow.

PC being that low is a bit surprising to me, but I often forget how well the PS4 has sold, and I can't help but wonder if the constant upgrading -- especially with performance leaps as high as that seen with the new generation of GPUs -- is starting to slow adoption for some people who see the constant increase in performance too expensive to keep up with.

I know Origin generally is not liked on PC, but I kind of feel like it hasn't been negative enough to slow other Origin-exclusive games down... I'm personally thinking it's more attributable to BF4's negative reception at launch, Hardline's very mixed reception, and Battlefront's (while not exactly a Battlefield game, it is highly known to be from the same devs and seemed largely expected to) mixed reception... I think it's a bit more Battlefield fatigue than it is Origin fatigue (though a combination of both probably doesn't help). As far as I know (vague off-the-head idea), Origin exclusive titles tend to still sell decently well if they actually have excitement surrounding their releases. I know the core BF base is excited for BF1, but I wonder if many of the casual types are kind of dropping off now?

I personally think it's a fine game given my limited beta experience so far on PS4, but not one that's really grabbing my day 1 purchase levels of excitement.

eifer

Odd. I came away from it with no desire to play it after a few sessions. BF4 feels way better than this.

Swarna

BF4 numbers launch - August 2014.

Code:
[URL="https://www.facebook.com/PStats/photos/a.223697651017388.62799.166560266731127/696104410443374/?type=3&theater"][IMG]https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/10600473_696104410443374_1084473801651729435_n.png?oh=16182e5627be1257cd1c6defadd6257f&oe=583B35DE[/IMG][/URL]

But beta usually has more activity than release iirc. PC players gradually leaving the franchise I think.

Wow that's cool to see these numbers, this game is absolutely incredible!

The gameplay, the visuals, the sound, just amazing!

Man, PC even lagging behind PS3.

Yeah it's usually higher than that, the concurrent players number probably dropped as a result of the the Battlefield 1 Beta being available, IIRC it's usually above the Xbox 360 and PS3 numbers, and somewhere in-between Xbox One and PS4.

PS4 is a juggernaut when it comes to user base, wow.

PC being that low is a bit surprising to me, but I often forget how well the PS4 has sold, and I can't help but wonder if the constant upgrading -- especially with performance leaps as high as that seen with the new generation of GPUs -- is starting to slow adoption for some people who see the constant increase in performance too expensive to keep up with.

I know Origin generally is not liked on PC, but I kind of feel like it hasn't been negative enough to slow other Origin-exclusive games down... I'm personally thinking it's more attributable to BF4's negative reception at launch, Hardline's very mixed reception, and Battlefront's (while not exactly a Battlefield game, it is highly known to be from the same devs and seemed largely expected to) mixed reception... I think it's a bit more Battlefield fatigue than it is Origin fatigue (though a combination of both probably doesn't help). As far as I know (vague off-the-head idea), Origin exclusive titles tend to still sell decently well if they actually have excitement surrounding their releases. I know the core BF base is excited for BF1, but I wonder if many of the casual types are kind of dropping off now?

I personally think it's a fine game given my limited beta experience so far on PS4, but not one that's really grabbing my day 1 purchase levels of excitement.

Constant upgrading? There's no need to constantly upgrade just because faster hardware is available, the minimum system requirements also haven't moved much from since the release of Battlefront.

We don't really know how well Origin games sell compared to Steam games, some PC Gamers aren't too fond of Origin or EA but there's always going to be people who don't like something and those who do.

hesido

Well this game deserves it. The atmosphere is amazeballs. It also doesn't play at all like a BF4 DLC btw like some shit poster I saw in some thread. Running well on PS4 although steady 60fps is rarely hit on the gazillion players conquest, which I exclusively played. Maybe it holds better on the low player count modes. Frostbite is surely paying for itself, the graphics are so good yet the battlefield is so big.

I know Origin generally is not liked on PC, but I kind of feel like it hasn't been negative enough to slow other Origin-exclusive games down...

Not liked is probably an understatement. I bought BF4, DA:I and Battlefront all on sale (some huge ones, if I might add) for my PS4 even though my PC could probably run the games multiple times better. I ain't installing Origin here again, not for a long time. I have all the Mass Effect collectors but I'm skipping Andromeda, one of the reasons being Origin.

Dysun

Battlefield 4 has been super healthy population wise throughout the entire cycle on PC.

Mainline Battlefield games don't die on any platform until the successor is out for awhile.
Im thinking that BF4 is going to stay relevant even after this comes out. The games are very different.

The battlefields have always had healthy populations on PC. BAttlefront was a horribly lacking, extremly thin game. Not going to appeal to PC gamers whit a lot of more options in the genre.

Origin is definitely a barrier though. Not that these numbers aren't healthy for PC, in fact they seem pretty nice to me. It's not like you're going to be hurting for other players to play with simply because the PS4 has more.

If it was on Steam numbers would be doubled for PC at least.

I know I plan on picking up the game, but too lazy to load up Origin to try the beta :p

If this was some random indie game probably but for BF1 I really don't think it matters. Everyone and their dad knows about Battlefield 1 (biggest hype machine I have seen in a while) and Origin is free software. Everyone who wants to try can.

JJD

What I thought BF had the biggest audience on PC?

Origin strikes again

Consoles have been the main audience for Battlefield since Bad Company 2 (Bad Company 1 didn't even release on PC if I'm not mistaken), Origin has nothing to do with it.

And ever since Bad Company it has been more popular on sony consoles than MS consoles.

That said, all BF games had a very healthy community on all platforms.

PC figures are hardly shocking to me. I have played the beta on both, and while I'll admit the ability to play a prettier game at a higher frame rate is compelling it just can't offset the insane skill window. I feel like the classes are much more balanced on consoles due to a controller, whereas you are pretty much dominated by snipers on PC with the more responsive controls. I feel dirty for saying I want a game with gimped controls, but fuck man, being sniped by the battlefield elite isn't fun.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
BF on PC is for people who don't want a competitive team based FPS with a high skill ceiling, a punishing and immersive historical FPS, or a team based military simulator.

it's for people that sort of want all of those, but with a hollywood budget and without the depth of mechanics to give them any definition or nuance. the sort of people who migrated to consoles and never came back.

PC BF4 sits between Xbox One and PS4 platforms but the peak hours are different. Look at the peak for 24 hours and you will see. It's had a very healthy population since launch.

Top Bottom