• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Biden disses Clinton: ‘I never thought she was a great candidate. I thought I was...'

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...was-a-great-candidate/?utm_term=.2367be58d8c0

Former vice president Joe Biden stirred the Democratic pot a little bit on Thursday night.

Appearing at the SALT hedge fund conference in Las Vegas, the possible 2020 presidential candidate weighed in on Hillary Clinton's 2016 candidacy in a way that Clinton supporters sure won't like.

“I never thought she was a great candidate,” Biden said, according to reports. “I thought I was a great candidate.”

Biden clarified, according to CNN, that “Hillary would have been a really good president.” But that isn't likely to make Clinton supporters feel much better.

Continue to pour salt in wound if old.

Briarios

Also, knowing Joe Biden, I wouldn't be surprised if this was said in a humorous way. I'd need a bit more context before jumping to conclusions.

Ridley327

I don't think he's wrong, especially with his clarification about her potentially being a good president. Being a good candidate and a good president don't necessarily go hand in hand.

Glass Rebel

The fact that a woman of her pedigree and expertise isn't a great candidate is just a sad reality of modern American politics.

He has no room to talk since he didn't do it

In could have been a great hitter in the mlb as well.

But even if I don't like hillary it also doesn't matter, she would have been better than trump for me at least.

He's not wrong, although I don't think he would have been a great candidate in the primaries. He would have been ripped apart and it would be ugly. Mix in personal gaffes and things would get worse.

Hillary Clinton has never won a contested, competitive primary in her life. She's not a good politician and has been handed opportunities due to her last name.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
The fact that a woman of her pedigree and expertise isn't a great candidate is just a sad reality of modern American politics.

She's too heavy on the patronizing, and simply generally unlikable, to me. He clarified and said she'd be a good president, but not a good candidate. I agree 1000%.

Hilary was character assassinated for some 20 years. Whether she was on paper good or not is hard to really say, but I honestly felt she had more plans formulated than fucking Trump. I would've taken four more years of Obama lite over half ass Homunculus Nixon.

DonShula

Not sure what's to be gained by saying this, other than currying favor of disenfranchised swing voters who went Trump and regret it now. And it seems pretty damn early to be doing that. Surely he won't run anyway.

Imm0rt4l

How does that follow?

If this comment is a small volley towards announcing his candidacy for 2020, I don't see it as a huge downside to downplay his similarities to Hillary.
People just reflexively say that shit whenever theres even an inkling of disagreement on the left. It really doesn't follow.

Bums me out because despite not being 100% on the same page as Joe, he has always seemed to genuinely give a shit beyond his bank account and ego which is hard to find in any national politician.

MrGerbils

Diamond Joe is right

Totally.

She was obviously a terrible candidate. She lost probably the easiest election in history to the biggest idiot in the country. Defend her as a politician or as a potential president all you want, but she was demonstrably a fucking awful candidate.

gcubed

He's not wrong, although I don't think he would have been a great candidate in the primaries. He would have been ripped apart and it would be ugly. Mix in personal gaffes and things would get worse.

Hillary Clinton has never won a contested, competitive primary in her life. She's not a good politician and has been handed opportunities due to her last name.

this is just dumb

She's too heavy on the patronizing, and simply generally unlikable, to me. He clarified and said she'd be a good president, but not a good candidate. I agree 1000%.

i agree completely with him. She doesn't connect well at all while campaigning

Fox318

She was an uncharismatic horrible communicator that couldn't run a campaign and had a nack for hanging around scandalous figures like her husband and her top aid's husband.

No email scandal. And he would have appealed better to working class white voters. Those things decided the election and he would have likely won as a result. Plus, while Biden is full of gaffes, most of his as harmless, unlike the deplorables comment. That was about as bad as Romney's 47 percent comments in terms of rallying the other side.

Top Bottom