• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Biden Goes Against Dem Governors Promising No National Shut Down, Calling it 'Counterproductive'

ManaByte

Jun 10, 2004
California
manabyte.com

The president-elect also reaffirmed, “I am not going to shut down the economy. Period. I’m going to shut down the virus. That’s what I’m going to shut down. I’ll say it again - no national shutdown. No national shutdown.” He added that shutting down the economy “would be counterproductive."

LordCBH

Jun 4, 2020
Well yeah. He doesn’t have the authority to shut down the country. If he did then we’d be shut down exactly five minutes after he takes office.

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
He doesnt have the Authority? But its trumps fault he didnt shut down.
Yep. Now you see why the media is such a problem.

A good article on the differences in media behavior with regard to narratives and actually asking questions:

Last edited:
Reactions: DeepEnigma

ZippyTheOtter

Aug 29, 2020
Like the drinking age? There's ways around it. Holding federal funding over states heads until they do as you say, is a legal way of doing it.
Being raised in Michigan, I'm aware of that tactic. The federal government threatened funding for roads unless they lowered the drunk driving level from .1 to .08 (they caved and michigan's roads are still a joke).

So far the Biden campaign has not threatened "red states" like the current executive cabinet has threatened federal funding to "blue states"

It's Jeff

Aug 28, 2015
"After consulting the shamans, the chicken bones say I'm the only one that can shut down the virus without shutting down the economy."

-Some asshole that nearly 80 million people voted for

Reactions: HeresJohnny

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
Being raised in Michigan, I'm aware of that tactic. The federal government threatened funding for roads unless they lowered the drunk driving level from .1 to .08 (they caved and michigan's roads are still a joke).

So far the Biden campaign has not threatened "red states" like the current executive cabinet has threatened federal funding to "blue states"
Exactly right. With regard to the 2nd Amendment, he's threatening us all equally. During a pandemic, while his party has maligned and called for defunding the police, while his party has encouraged riots and lawlessness, Biden now wants to take away guns or tax the shit out of them. What a guy! What makes anyone think he'll be any more fair on anything else I have no idea.

Last edited:

ZippyTheOtter

Aug 29, 2020
Exactly right. With regard to the 2nd Amendment, he's threatening us all equally. During a pandemic, while his party has maligned and called for defunding the police, Biden now wants to take away guns or tax the shit out of them. What a guy! What makes anyone think he'll be any more fair on anything else I have no idea.
Biden will take your guns just like Obama did. Go buy more guns to stick it to him, and validate the scare mongering gun lobby's money.

2nd amendment is there, although we've already limited the definition (we can't arm ourselves legally with military grade weapons), and it ain't going nowhere.

Fun tangent!

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
Biden will take your guns just like Obama did. Go buy more guns to stick it to him, and validate the scare mongering gun lobby's money.

2nd amendment is there, although we've already limited the definition (we can't arm ourselves legally with military grade weapons), and it ain't going nowhere.

Fun tangent!
You obviously are ignorant of the fact that Obama never vowed to take away people's guns, while Biden has. That's for starters.
Second, you already acknowledged that the power of the purse can be used to force compliance when it would otherwise be impossible. Same with the power to tax, which is exactly what Biden intends to do. He's going to require $200 tax stamps on any magazine that holds over 10 rounds (that's most pistols in the country) and also a $200 tax stamp on most semi-auto firearms.

Go read up on Biden's plan and then come back and let's talk about it.

ZippyTheOtter

Aug 29, 2020
You obviously are ignorant of the fact that Obama never vowed to take away people's guns, while Biden has. That's for starters.
Second, you already acknowledged that the power of the purse can be used to force compliance when it would otherwise be impossible. Same with the power to tax, which is exactly what Biden intends to do. He's going to require $200 tax stamps on any magazine that holds over 10 rounds (that's most pistols in the country) and also a $200 tax stamp on most semi-auto firearms.

Go read up on Biden's plan and then come back and let's talk about it.
Sure, it's lip service like the student loan relief. Will never happen. Especially once the GOP wins the Georgia Run-offs and maintains the Senate.

The dems are currently trying to "appeal" to the left while governing moderately. It's going to backfire, and I expect a red wave in 2022 and 2024.

and 3 others

Gold Member
Feb 27, 2020
So, go ahead and lie to us, since you probably can't inact those lies anyway. So, if true, what is the actual platform they're running on? Beat out darkness with light, and OMB?

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
Sure, it's lip service like the student loan relief. Will never happen. Especially once the GOP wins the Georgia Run-offs and maintains the Senate.

The dems are currently trying to "appeal" to the left while governing moderately. It's going to backfire, and I expect a red wave in 2022 and 2024.
He has not even been pledged in and already we are running from his own platform. 😂

People have every right to judge Biden on the shit he explicitly ran on, such as his stupid attempt at gun control

Reactions: DeepEnigma

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018

Well, that's certainly a good way to do it. Especially seeing as many Democrats in deep blue states consider the right to bear arms essential.

Yoda

Jun 17, 2011
I mean, he could offer guidelines, but he doesn't have the authority to do a national lockdown anyway.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
He don't need no national lockdown, his power hungry dems are more than happy to do them for him.

While Gavin institutes a curfew he is out partying with a 300$ meal.

While Bowser and Lightfoot want you to stay home during the holidays they are partying it up for Biden.

Dirk Benedict

May 31, 2013
Fetid, rotted, cursed Isz
The president can't shutdown the country, that's all up to state and local government. If his track record on H1N1 is anything to go by he can't shutdown covid either.
That is exactly why I kept laughing at these clowns when they blamed Trump. It's up to them to lead their respective States, Cities.
The President should only have to step in if shit truly hits the fan. Such as the riots, but, then again, you can't have troops shutting these riots down, or he would have been seen as a fascist. *rolling eyes*