• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Big Bang Mini - DS Touch Shmup Thread [Caution: Big Bang Mini may create happiness.]

Linkup

Just as the title says, looks cool and it's $20 so I'm thinking of grabbing it. Hits Jan 20th.

c&p PR said:
Big Bang Mini is a fast paced shoot’em up designed specifically for the Nintendo DS TM that puts a new spin on classic arcade style gameplay - wrapped up in an explosive fireworks theme. Navigate your ‘ship’ through the brilliant array of locations and levels, dodging intense streams of debris as it rains down on you, while defeating wave after wave of challenging enemies by deploying fireworks and performing combo attacks.

Boxart - It's a lenticular(animated) boxart

bbmtehawesome.gif

Screens

big-bang-mini4.jpg
big-bang-mini3.jpg

big-bang-mini2.jpg
big-bang-mini1.jpg

more IGN screens

Videos

Big Bang Mini trailer

Someone fighting the Kamakura Boss !

http://www.bigbangmini.com./

arkedo website "Another proof that arkedo cannot be held responsible for recession in Japan"...?

Interview

The Big Bang Mini interview with Arkedo's Camille Guermonprez

Interview: Arkedo Talks Big Bang Mini on Nintendo DS

Reviews

who cares, may add some later though

Should be a demo on the Nintendo Channel soon!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Saw a trailer on GT. Looked interesting but I dont know if I like the way the shooting was presented

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Hrm, looks like you move the ship with the stylus, which I like and had been hoping a shmup would do for a long time, buuut flicking the stylus for shooting is worrysome. I do like the 360 degrees of firing angle, but there goes shooting and moving at the same time.

zigg

Hey, attention for BBM!

I did this interview early this month. As I noted in this thread... where I also noted that it got the second-best score in Jan's NP (8.5) next to Rock Band 2 (9.0).

Been looking forward to this one since E3 pretty much exclusively on the strength of Nervous Brickdown, which was a lot of fun.

zigg

We've got a pretty complete screenshot gallery, just updated today to include the latest world, New York, with a new powerup that lets you steal weapons off enemies that fly down to the touch screen by tapping them. (P.S. you will want to rehost if you want to put any shots in this thread, we have hotlink protection) ;)

http://www.n-sider.com/gameview.php?gameid=6248&view=screens

Last I heard, the game is releasing on the 20th of this month. I have yet to play it, I'll be getting it about the same time as the rest of you!

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
i'm officially interested now.

There is an article in the January Edition of Edge where they interview the Developer (Arkedo - who also made Nervous Brickdown).

Looks good though i don't have a DS anymore.

zigg

Demo's coming "soon", I'm told. Elebits' demo expires this weekend, so I'd not be surprised to see BBM show up after that.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
jesusraz said:
20th Feb, I believe.

EDIT: I see some sources saying 13th Feb, so perhaps I completely imagined that 20th date...

awesome..any informations on price-point ?

fushi

jesusraz said:
20th Feb, I believe.

EDIT: I see some sources saying 13th Feb, so perhaps I completely imagined that 20th date...
20th January seems to be the new US date, it seems...

Linkup said:
Demo is up on the Nintendo channel.
thanks!

edit: Holy shit this game is awesome. The control feels spot on, and i like how they handled firing the blasts. My ears are currently being spammed with orgasms from the music and sound effects.

This game should be 49.99

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Demo's up?! Downloading now. Been very curious about this game, but wasn't sure if it'd be worth it. Will post back with some demo impressions shortly.

Mejilan

Holy shit-fuck! SOLD!

The graphics are GORGEOUS. It's like this crazy (occasionally) bullet-hell shooter but where your ship and the origin of your shots are totally disconnected! One that penalizes you for missing! Well, during the regular stages, not so much during the bullet-hell bosses!

I quickly ran through the tutorial (don't skip it) and the 3 or 4 multi-phase stages they seem to show off here. Fucking great stuff!! Sold.

Mejilan

Since evening GAF is apparently ignoring this gem of a free demo, I'm going to DL and play through it... AGAIN!

WOW! Absolutely great game. Hard as hell, but never unfairly so.

Combines the gameplay of Asteroids with Space Invaders/Galaga to create its own utterly unique style.

Fantastic graphics too.

A must-have.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I wish I could get the demo without a Wii. :[

I really want this game.

Mejilan

Sooooooo good! And only $20! I knew there was a reason I eschewed that zombie/shooter/Red Ridin' Hood game. This is the reason!

Mejilan said:
Sooooooo good! And only $20! I knew there was a reason I eschewed that zombie/shooter/Red Ridin' Hood game. This is the reason!

That Red Riding Hood game didn't look very good. How was it? But Big Bang Mini, man, it's amazing. One of the huge surprises of the year. Who saw this coming? Sure, it looked cool, but I figured it'd be a Fantavision clone. Remember that dull, glorified tech demo turkey on PS2?

Mejilan

I didn't get the Red Ridin' Hood shooter. This was the game I was waiting for, without really knowing it.

Every once in a while a new game hits a system that helps to define and/or perfectly demonstrate that system's capabilities. Big Bang Mini, I think, will be this year's Soul Bubbles. I literally can't wait for the game to hit stores. The demo is leaving me ravenous!

Mejilan said:
I didn't get the Red Ridin' Hood shooter. This was the game I was waiting for, without really knowing it.

Every once in a while a new game hits a system that helps to define and/or perfectly demonstrate that system's capabilities. Big Bang Mini, I think, will be this year's Soul Bubbles. I literally can't wait for the game to hit stores. The demo is leaving me ravenous!

It hits tomorrow. Man, if my Gamestop wasn't so useless, I'd be flying there to get it. Looks like I'll have to order it online instead.

Mejilan

I'm hoping for tomorrow (as I'm going to my local GS to pick up Star Ocean 2 for the PSP, in any event), but my store indicated that it won't hit until Wednesday, or perhaps even Thursday. The GS website seems to suggest the same. :/

zigg

I had high expectations—maybe more than was healthy—but yeah, that demo proved they were justified and then some. I mean, I watched the videos, but playing the game is a real experience, visually, aurally, and most importantly, the gameplay itself.

Mejilan, re Soul Bubbles, thankfully there's no weird exclusivity deals stuck to this one. Nervous Brickdown did well, too, hopefully the success will stick.

(poor Soul Bubbles... at least I sent out a couple more copies of you to friends this past week)

DaBargainHunta said:
Who saw this coming?

*raises hand sheepishly*

Not to draw a comparison gameplay wise, but this gem reminds me of soul bubbles in how cohesively everything runs together. Its such a complete package in which one quality seems to smoothly transition to the next, like a great piece of art.

Its like saying,
Graphic + Sound + Control + Animation

But this game is like,
Graphicsoundcontrolanimationsex

This demo is so damn impressive.

Demo? Hooray! Been waiting for this; I loved Nervous Brickdown! If Arkedo's website is to be believed, Big Bang is their last DS project. Damn shame... Their site is quite tongue-in-cheek, though, so who knows.

Posting from my iPhone or else I'd include a link; google Arkedo and poke around. There isn't much content, it won't be hard to find.

Top Bottom