• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Big Brother 19 |OT| Fake Apples, Real Snakes

DonShula

Whoa hold up......never say definitite's in life because there's always a chance you could be wrong. Danielle was a GREAT player in her season and basically it's her and Will that I think of when I think Big Brother US. Marcellies (sp) got a lot of exposure in his season too )don't know if he was a good player or not) but the show focused alot on him in and around that season. So sure I agree with you, it hasn't been that way in a long time but it's also a "never, ever" thing either.

And my first post deliberately didn't bring up race. You can kind of tell from the replies now who the house is targeting this week it doesn't need to be spoiler tagged (and things change daily in the house so who knows what they say now will actually stick).

I probably could have phrased that better. But I do think they're motivated by anything but diversity, especially when it comes to race. For as long as the show's been on the air, how could they defend the consistently white cast? It seems like an accident when more than one black person makes it on to the show.

kirblar

If you compare BB and Survivor's approach re: racial casting, the difference is night and day.

Survivor's been aware of the issue and actively working to help address it (with mixed results)

BB just doesn't care.

JettDash

Jess and Dom are on the block. They will probably evict whoever Paul tells them to, and it appears he wants Dom out.

JettDash

Paul------
really needs to go. Like go. Now.

Most of the houseguests completely trust and like Paul. I doubt anyone will target him till jury if that.

If they continue to trust him and let him run the house, that just means he's playing well.

sammex

Christmas isn't being smart. Her career is in fitness - she'll miss out on significant rehab if she stays in the house that could have long lasting consequences for her recovery.

It's so dumb that Christmas is still in this game, inside and outside the house. I can't wait for things to settle down and for them finally evict her.

They'll probably let her get to jury just to be nice. Then her clocks starts ticking. Shame because I actually liked her and Paul as a combo.

Dom is the target. Once again a black contestant is blamed for something they didn't do and is being targeted by their so called alliance. Black people need to stop going on this show because it's not for us. It's been years since a black person has placed in the single digits, now and days it's hard for them to make jury. I'm gonna see how this week plays out then I'm going to cancel my feeds.

I like you.

NYR

Christmas has zero business being on the show. She isn't a target because of the injury, she can't compete because of the injury - watch that she will last long.

MisterHero

She gets paid for just being on the show, so it makes sense she stays ti help her recovery, provided she doesn't try to push herself.

Jasper

I swear we live in a fucked up social media world today, where as long as enough people are spewing the same lie – that lie suddenly transforms into being ”true".

So it's obvious that it's looking likely that Dominique will be going home this week. Since her nomination, twitter users (primarily from what I have seen – African Americans twitter users) have been up in arms about how a poor black woman is being evicted because of a white man's doing.

Note they are referring to Paul, as he orchestrated Dominique's downfall, ever since he found out that fellow alliance member Dominique has been throwing him under the bus and calling him a ”snake". Dominique has also been telling others in the house that God has spoken to her 3 times during her stay in the house, with God warning her about Paul. From what I have seen, she is VERY passive-aggressive and likes to use God as a weapon.

Fast forward to yesterday, and Paul decides he wants to dress up as a snake at the VETO ceremony. So he's running around the house looking for something to make him look like a snake, and Christmas offers her dress which has a black and white snake print design. To go along with the black and white snake print dress, Paul also wants to wear his clay mask to try and look as much like a snake as possible.

Now it's exploded all over the internet that Paul is a racist. There is a video all over twitter that has been heavily edited with the supposed story being him dressing up as a black woman to torment an actual black woman (Dominique), when the fucking truth is he's dressing up to look like a snake because Dominique has called him a snake.

I swear we live in a fucked up social media world today, where as long as enough people are spewing the same lie – that lie suddenly transforms into being “true”.

So it’s obvious that it’s looking likely that Dominique will be going home this week. Since her nomination, twitter users (primarily from what I have seen – African Americans twitter users) have been up in arms about how a poor black woman is being evicted because of a white man’s doing.

Note they are referring to Paul, as he orchestrated Dominique’s downfall, ever since he found out that Dominique has been throwing him under the bus and calling him a “snake”. Dominique has also been telling other house-guests that God has spoken to her 3 times during her stay in the house, with God warning her about Paul.

Fast forward to yesterday, and Paul decides he wants to dress up as a snake at the VETO ceremony. So he’s running around the house looking for something to make him look like a snake, and Christmas offers him her dress which has a black and white snake print design. To go along with the black and white snake print dress, Paul also wants to wear his clay mask to try and look as much like a snake as possible.

Now it’s exploded all over the internet that Paul is a racist. There is a video all over twitter that has been heavily edited with the supposed story being him dressing up as a black woman to torment an actual black woman (Dominique), when the fucking truth is he’s dressing up to look like a snake because Dominique has called him a snake.

Either way, it's a dumb and shitty idea. He is so far up his own ass.

And I've seen the videos. He did himself no favors by literally saying he wants a "black face" with his costume.

Jasper

Either way, it's a dumb and shitty idea. He is so far up his own ass.

And I've seen the videos. He did himself no favors by literally saying he wants a "black face" with his costume.

He didn't say he wants a black face the way you just tried to imply.

He said he wants to look like a snake (because he was called a snake), and because the dress he was given by Christmas was a black snake print design, he toyed with the idea for a few minutes of using a clay mask to try and look as much like a snake that he possibly can.

He's not even doing it anymore, as apparently he is instead going to wear a panty hose over his head (OMG...OMG...will it be a black panty hose?!?!?...THAT RACIST SCUM!!!)

He's a fucking clown...but not racist, and I find it disgusting that we live in a social media world where things can be twisted so much to turn a falsehood into being true.

He didn't say he wants a black face the way you just tried to imply.

He said he wants to look like a snake (because he was called a snake), and because the dress he was given by Christmas was a black snake print design, he toyed with the idea for a few minutes of using a clay mask to try and look as much like a snake that he possibly can.

He's not even doing it anymore, as apparently he is instead going to wear a panty hose over his head.

He's a fucking clown...but not racist, and I find it disgusting that we live in a social media world where things can be twisted so much to turn a falsehood into being true.

I didn't try to imply anything.

He literally says he wants to have a "black face." That's why people are going nuts and running off with this. He used the term "black face."

DonShula

Here's the video for people to make their own judgement as to whether Paul is a racist...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Us6dRwpqPc

Definitely poor judgment. I honestly can't tell the intent. I know he's young (24?) and maybe the history of blackface isn't something he's aware of. And I can't tell if Christmas in that clip was trying to steer him away from doing it because she knew it would go poorly. At her age she should know better. The rest of them clearly had no idea of the connotation.

He's guilty of ignorance at very least.

Koomaster

2/16 (or 12.5%) of the houseguests are black. That's about exactly the same as the US population.
And? It's still not fair because they are still a racial minority in a competitive game show. As I said it's a numbers game; you fill a house with mostly white people and chances are one of them is going to win because there are more of them.

Here's the video for people to make their own judgement as to whether Paul is a racist...

I'm not ready to call him a racist over this, but he clearly doesn't understand the implications of what he's doing. And by that I mean he doesn't even stop and think for a second that what he's doing is offensive; which is racially insensitive at the very least. He's not too young to not know about blackface. People keep showing their asses over this and keep getting called out for it. So I won't buy being young as an excuse to not know that black face is wrong.

This is made all the worse because he was planning on doing this to target a black house member. I'm not 100% convinced he doesn't have racist motivations here just because if he wanted to dress as a snake, the first color I think of when I think of snakes is green, not black. Anyway he's dropped the idea by now so I'm figuring production got to him since at least they know better than to have a white man go in black face on tv.

Edit to add: Aside from this I personally believe Dominique has done enough to earn a nomination at the very least. She has people she's aligned with who are against the HOH and her alliance, has a good social game, and is good at getting info out of people. So I don't feel she's being unfairly targeted this week by the HOH.

Yeah, I'm around where you guys are at. I wouldn't go as far as to say racism, but I can't help but sigh and shake my head over the fact that he's going around saying things like "I want to have a black face" when brainstorming a costume meant to mock a black woman. I am not surprised at all that people are pissed.

Paul needs to like....relax, calm down, think about the things he says (not the first time he's said dumb, derogatory shit), and realize he doesn't have to be the center of attention all the time.

And get evicted asap.

Pretty amazing that no one in the house has been like "hey dude, this a bad idea and possibly racist" especially in today's political climate.

As far as his intention. I don't give a fuck. It's cruel and unnecessary. They should all know better and someone should speak up.

JettDash

Pretty amazing that no one in the house has been like "hey dude, this a bad idea and possibly racist" especially in today's political climate.

As far as his intention. I don't give a fuck. It's cruel and unnecessary. They should all know better and someone should speak up.

She plans to try to blow up his (and Elena's) game at the veto ceremony or live eviction by calling him a snake and whatnot. One of his minions told him, which is why he decided to do this. It isn't like he decided to fuck with her for no reason or something.

I am at a loss as to how wearing a snake costum while she tries to convince everyone in the house that he is a snake is cruel. And it clearly has a purpose, to deflect from that fact that he actually is a snake. For whatever reason, almost everyone in the House likes and trusts him. Obviously he would like that to continue for as a long as possible.

lenovox1

She plans to try to blow up his (and Elena's) game at the veto ceremony or live eviction by calling him a snake and whatnot. One of his minions told him, which is why he decided to do this. It isn't like he decided to fuck with her for no reason or something.

I am at a loss as to how wearing a snake costum while she tries to convince everyone in the house that he is a snake is cruel. And it clearly has a purpose, to deflect from that fact that he actually is a snake. For whatever reason, almost everyone in the House likes and trusts him. Obviously he would like that to continue for as a long as possible.

The blackface, baby. The blackface is the offensive part.

JettDash

The blackface, baby. The blackface is the offensive part.

Sure. But being unintentionally offensive because you're an ignorant isn't cruel. Being cruel requires intent.

If it is intentionally racist, then yes it is cruel, obviously,.

The snake thing could be cruel for reasons not related to racism/blackface (though it isn't, as I explained) which is what I thought he meant.

Well here is the definition of cruel:

willfully causing pain or suffering to others, or feeling no concern about it.

So if you want me to break it down for you, by doing this, he is attempting to bully, intimidate and humiliate her. A couple of apt synonyms would be fiendish or diabolical. There are other ways for a grown man to defend himself without resorting to these types of antics.

I guess it does serve a purpose, but it still doesn't make it right or necessary and further reinforces the cruelty aspect of it.

DonShula

TMZ reporting about it now.

This blew up, didn't it.

They mention at the end that they've reached out to CBS to comment on the situation.

Yeah this could get interesting real fast.

The last time this happened, BB and CBS distanced themselves out of one side of the mouth while playing it up out of the other. The disclaimers at the beginning of the Aaryn shows were more like "check out this racist chick" flags. They were happy to keep her in the game, draw more gawking eyeballs to the show, and then let Julie roast her when she came out.

Paul is an obvious production favorite, but he would also make excellent cannon fodder.

Let's see which way CBS decides to go...

NYR

TMZ reporting about it now.

This blew up, didn't it.

They mention at the end that they've reached out to CBS to comment on the situation.

Ow9zb_s-200x150.gif

Well then....let's see if the show avoids it now.

JettDash

Well here is the definition of cruel:

So if you want me to break it down for you, by doing this, he is attempting to bully, intimidate and humiliate her. A couple of apt synonyms would be fiendish or diabolical. There are other ways for a grown man to defend himself without resorting to these types of antics.

I guess it does serve a purpose, but it still doesn't make it right or necessary and further reinforces the cruelty aspect of it.

You just assume that he is trying to bully, intimidate, and humiliate her. Dom is pretty crazy but I fail to see how she could possibly feel bullied, intimidated, and humiliated by Paul because he is in a snake costume.

He isn't trying to hurt Dom, he is trying to manipulate everyone else into disregarding what she says. He knows he actually is a snake, and doesn't want the others to. So he wears a snake costume and pretends that he doesn't take what she is saying seriously. It will help that she is probably incapable of saying what she wants without it sounding like nonsense.

They will all probably believe that Paul wouldn't wear a snake costume if he is actually a snake. Most of them aren't that smart.

MisterHero

I'm more discouraged that there were people that went along with him.

Fuck all of them if Paul goes through with it

I don't even care if it's racist, going out of your way to (and getting people to join in) humiliate someone is just sad.

You just assume that he is trying to bully, intimidate, and humiliate her. Dom is pretty crazy but I fail to see how she could possibly feel bullied, intimidated, and humiliated by Paul because he is in a snake costume.

He isn't trying to hurt Dom, he is trying to manipulate everyone else into disregarding what she says. He knows he actually is a snake, and doesn't want the others to. So he wears a snake costume and pretends that he doesn't take what she is saying seriously. It will help that she is probably incapable of saying what she wants without it sounding like nonsense.

They will all probably believe that Paul wouldn't wear a snake costume if he is actually a snake. Most of them aren't that smart.

Well I think that is your problem right there and why you are not understanding or can't wrap your head around the concept.

He has to belittle and degrade her for his manipulation to succeed, thus this stunt.

Swass

This seems blown way out of proportion, even in the video it was someone else who suggested putting the goop on his face..

Why does Paul targeting Dom have to be about her race.. I mean her being a jesus freak stands out more than anything.. not to mention her shady show with Cody and throwing Paul under the bus..

I swear this is going to be the downfall of the show, CBS having to weather this every single season..

If fuck shit like this continues on this show I'm gonna have to stop watching it...

You can't be a grown ass man and not understand the history of blackface....and expect me or anyone else who is a person of color to have sympathy when someone calls you a racist.

So, further messiness...[spoilers on a fight that just happened/is currently happening]

Mark and Josh had an argument about who won their game of pool, ending in Mark throwing a mixture of pickle juice/hot sauce in Josh's face.

Josh is PISSED. Calling Mark out. Saying he isn't a man. Saying he just made it personal between them. Calling him pathetic for trying to get Paul/Christmas out week 1 and is now all buddy with them. Saying Mark can't do anything by himself, how he always needs Elena at his side. Saying he has zero respect for Mark and never wants to speak to him again and wants him evicted.

update:
He is now going off on Jessica for ignoring the "outsiders" until she needed their help.

beasty

One of the best seasons is getting ruined by BB bringing back a shitty Vet. What a great cast. A bunch of lunatics.

NYR

So, further messiness...[spoilers on a fight that just happened/is currently happening]

Mark and Josh had an argument about who won their game of pool, ending in Mark throwing a mixture of pickle juice/hot sauce in Josh's face.

Josh is PISSED. Calling Mark out. Saying he isn't a man. Saying he just made it personal between them. Calling him pathetic for trying to get Paul/Christmas out week 1 and is now all buddy with them. Saying Mark can't do anything by himself, how he always needs Elena at his side. Saying he has zero respect for Mark and never wants to speak to him again and wants him evicted.

update:
He is now going off on Jessica for ignoring the "outsiders" until she needed their help.
Both of these idiots are meatheads so no surprise that they lack the intelligence to solve their issues by talking.

mreddie

So I was gone while the season started but watched since the premiere, did Paul turn this cast into a cult?

And jebbus, XMas staying. Yet had that happened in Survivor, that person would be gone.

DonShula

So I was gone while the season started but watched since the premiere, did Paul turn this cast into a cult?

And jebbus, XMas staying. Yet had that happened in Survivor, that person would be gone.

I honestly think most of these people are dumb enough to trust him because they watched him on TV and think they know him already. There's like zero consideration that he's playing the game WITH them.

netguy503

update:

Thanks for that. I think that paid for my live feed subscription by itself.

Yeah this cast did not need Paul at all.

They finally got a good cast, but in a season they already fixed to work in Paul's favor.

Fight update:
Josh was going back and forth between Mark and Jess. Telling Mark that everyone told him Mark can't be trusted, which he feels is now confirmed to be true. Shutting Jess down for always involving herself in his arguments with others.

Now another argument....
Christmas vs Dominique now. Dominique asking Christmas why she turned on her. Christmas saying Dom has shunned her and was throwing Christmas's name around.
Dom says she trusted Christmas. Christmas asked why Dom hasn't been speaking to her then. Dom says she hasn't been speaking to anyone. Christmas doesn't understand why Dom's confused about Christmas feeling shunned by Dom if that's the case. They then say bye to each other.

UberTag

I honestly think most of these people are dumb enough to trust him because they watched him on TV and think they know him already. There's like zero consideration that he's playing the game WITH them.
That's the main problem with bringing in a bunch of recruits, showing them a run of the preceding season where Paul was a fixture with a favorable TV edit and then throwing them into a house with him. They don't even understand they were seeing a skewed representation of his dynamics within the house.

JettDash

Well I think that is your problem right there and why you are not understanding or can't wrap your head around the concept.

You have to be crazy to wrap your head around some concepts.

He has to belittle and degrade her for his manipulation to succeed, thus this stunt.

So cruel, obviously he should just allow her to fuck him over

JettDash

I'm more discouraged that there were people that went along with him.

Fuck all of them if Paul goes through with it

I don't even care if it's racist, going out of your way to (and getting people to join in) humiliate someone is just sad.

He found out she was going to use the veto ceremony to try to convince everyone he's a snake.

I'm kinda baffled as to why people think that showing up in a snake costume was some crazy overreaction to that.

btw, he did do the snake costume no blackface

Top Bottom