• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Big changes to Humble Choice starting Feb 2022

Pejo

From what I gathered:

• They're removing the "pick x # of games for the price, you just get them all (reminds me of OG Humble Bundle).
  • Price is now $11.99
  • No guarantee on how many games will be in the bundle
  • "Expertly curated" 🤔🤔🤔🤔
  • Access to "Humble Games Collection", essentially a launcher with a gamepass type model that you can play any of the games as long as you're subbed to Humble Choice. Right now it only has the following blockbusters:
    • Forager
    • Wizard of Legend
    • Dodgeball Academia
    • Unsighted
    • Void Bastards
  • Can pause/cancel at anytime. Unsure if the pause allows you to keep playing the Collection games.
  • All Humble Choice members receive a selection of hand-picked games redeemable via a key for select platforms, when available (Steam, Epic, Origin, GOG, etc.) (Thanks jshackles jshackles ) So they won't all be Steam keys.
Personal thoughts:

Sounds to me like they're trying to push out their sub model and launcher all in one under the guise of "increased value". I feel that the last few months have been pretty poor and they are probably having a hard time securing 1-2 bigger titles that made the bundles seem worth it. I'll give it a month or two, but it's going to depend on the quality and selection of games they get. If I don't see some bigger titles in the bundle, I think I've finally had enough. I have so much useless crap in my library now from being subbed to this for years. That said, if they can get start getting 1-2 big games per month again, I can ignore the rest of it.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I've only done PC gaming lately the past year, but if HB were still available in that "I'll pay $1 and get everything offer" I'd do it. But no way I'd do the current model.

In the old model, I have no idea how devs even made money the old way or why do it. Most gamers were probably paying $1-2, and that gets split across the charity and devs. Each dev probably got 25 cents per copy sold.

Last edited:

FrozenFlame

- I bet next month will have heavy hitters just to appease subscribers for this new model.

- I also bet we'll see more epic, gog, ea, etc, keys in order to keep the "expertly curated" games.

- I don't see the point of the new app but then again, I never use the trove section.

- I honestly think the changes to the discount is terrible. People will still pause the subscription if they're not interested and if the discount is lower in Humble store, then those people will purchase somewhere else.

It makes a lot of sense for them to offer keys to other storefronts than Steam. Humble won’t have to fight Valve over keys. And the other stores will gladly take the customers. I assume GOG keys will be easiest to accept for bundle buyers, but they will definitely lose a lot of subs if they stop giving out Steam keys.

Soodanim

Gold Member
The monthly service at one point sounded like it might have been worth it for the right person, but Humble Bundle has fallen waaaay off in recent years. They do some good niche non-gaming bundles at times, but mostly it’s a disappointment. I think the last things I bought were individual games on sale a few years back.

Well done, IGN. Humble’s shit.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Since I'm on the old subscription they didn't take away my choices, its always been that I get 10 games out of 10, they also have to give me two extra games because the origenal subscription was for 12 games, however these extras have ALWAYS been shit.

So as a classic tier essentially the price ain't changing for me but the amount of games I get a month will be. The 20% store discount will make up for it though, as long as it still stacks with the sale prices like the old discount did.

Ml41fFC_d.webp

It seems the discounts do stack for some but others only until a maximum of 20%, however God of War seems to be the one item that won't apply the full discount.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I loved humble bundle before choice. After that it turned to garbage.

If its random how many games there are, and they are now hidden like the old times, then the change is we still get shit games just less and you are playing jeopardy with your money to see which turds you will be granted.

Give me old Humble Bundle back instead of a wack steam key seller with horrific bundles in the mix.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The 20% store discount will make up for it though, as long as it still stacks with the sale prices like the old discount did.
Looks like they're changing how the discounts work too:

Exclusive discounts

When you join Humble Choice, you’ll save more on the Humble Store the longer you’re an active member, with discounts reaching up to 20% on eligible purchases. (Discount resets if you skip or cancel.) If you’re already an active Choice member when February Choice arrives, you’ll start off right away at that maximum 20% discount, and stay there as long as your membership remains active.

So, looks like you'll keep the 20% discount, but it will reset if you skip a month or cancel your sub. My guess is back down to 5% then up another 5% per month for every month you subscribe.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Looks like they're changing how the discounts work too:

So, looks like you'll keep the 20% discount, but it will reset if you skip a month or cancel your sub. My guess is back down to 5% then up another 5% per month for every month you subscribe.

Back to 10% if the FAQ is to be believed.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
Since I'm on the old subscription they didn't take away my choices, its always been that I get 10 games out of 10, they also have to give me two extra games because the origenal subscription was for 12 games, however these extras have ALWAYS been shit.

So as a classic tier essentially the price ain't changing for me but the amount of games I get a month will be. The 20% store discount will make up for it though, as long as it still stacks with the sale prices like the old discount did.

Ml41fFC_d.webp

It seems the discounts do stack for some but others only until a maximum of 20%, however God of War seems to be the one item that won't apply the full discount.
Their promotional materials say "Save up to 20%," so I wouldn't expect it to work across the board. Especially since they sell Nintendo keys, too.

Graciaus

I've bought every monthly for years. Always found something to play in each one. The discount itself in the store saves a lot of money. Your changes list looks to only really benefit people not on the old sub.

Droxcy

I alaways purchase their software or book packs when there's decent releases haven't subbed in awhile after the last change they did.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I wonder how long they'll continue calling it "Humble Choice", considering they've removed the aspect of choice from the bundle.

Also their FAQs mention this several times

All Humble Choice members receive a selection of hand-picked games redeemable via a key for select platforms, when available (Steam, Epic, Origin, GOG, etc.)
So it sounds like another big change is that not every game will be a Steam key.

Last edited:

jshackles

So the "big change" and "expertly curated" games just meant one less overall game (down from 10 to 9) and Borderlands 3 (twice).

The Borderlands 3 Director's Cut is actually DLC for the game... Not that it helps, the rest of what's on offer is Fantatical bundle level...

Pejo

The Borderlands 3 Director's Cut is actually DLC for the game... Not that it helps, the rest of what's on offer is Fantatical bundle level...
Boy this is the second time in a month that I've been confused about Gearbox's product naming. Randy must be deciding these himself. First I thought the PS+ game was the new Tiny Tiny standalone, but it was the old DLC, now this.

Graciaus

Wish I hadn't bought BL3 when it came out on Steam. If you own it ready this might be the worst bundle I can think of.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
They finally found a way to stop me from pausing my subscription. I can't log in anymore :lollipop_grinning_smiling_eyes:

Kilau

Gold Member
Yeah another bad month for me and this "big" change does not help. I got BL3 Ultimate Edition on a price error from Humble anyway lol.

sainraja

I've only done PC gaming lately the past year, but if HB were still available in that "I'll pay $1 and get everything offer" I'd do it. But no way I'd do the current model.

In the old model, I have no idea how devs even made money the old way or why do it. Most gamers were probably paying $1-2, and that gets split across the charity and devs. Each dev probably got 25 cents per copy sold.
It's probably for promotional purposes.

Stuart360

Its pretty crazy how crap the quality games have become over the last 18 months or so. I dont know if thats down to a reduced budget, or its simply thet they are starting to run out of gettable games.
Also going from all Steam keys to different launchers could be the final nail in the coffin.

Its pretty crazy how crap the quality games have become over the last 18 months or so. I dont know if thats down to a reduced budget, or its simply thet they are starting to run out of gettable games.
Also going from all Steam keys to different launchers could be the final nail in the coffin.
IGN

Another "nice" one... When you have a year long subscription on classic (mine started anew in December), they refund you the 2,24 € "onto your original payment method"...

Soooo... my original method was Paypal, but the money went into the shop wallet and has an expiration timer of 6 months... curious, what the support will tell me to deflect this shit.:messenger_neutral:

Top Bottom