• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Big E3 ad for PS4 exclusive 'God of W' going up [Up: Holy crap, it's God of War!]

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I'll be happy to talk to a mod about how i know things, but you guys are getting agead of yourselves. E3 is just around the corner and you'll see what im talking about.

Just so we're clear, the thing that we will see, specifically, is that the release date is going to be significantly later than Jan 2018? Or are we going to see evidence of your other claim that the demo was only a proof of concept and the game was barely started as of E3 2016? e.g. the game being substantially different than what was originally revealed?

Corpsepyre

Banned
It's obvious the game's going to be at E3 in a big way, given that poster. Lets wait and see what they show, and if they even announce some date. I doubt they will right now.

Watch it again. The kid straight up calls him father.

Oh.

Well, I am pretty ready for Kratos to retire and for his son to become the man.

He seems more soft natured too, and I think there is a lot of potential to create a character unlike that of Kratos' personality.

I like the idea of a more reluctant hero.

Look, you guys are ganging up on me because you want me to be wrong about the release date. Fine. Wait 2 weeks or whatever we have left first? Gang up on me after E3, OK?

What release date? Nobody has announced a release date and nobody believes the game will be out in January.
And people are "ganging up on you" because you said the E3 demo was fake with absolutely no proof.

Why would Sony green light the title, let them put so much work (VO, Soundtrack, "Fake Demo"), and then fucking SHOW IT AT E3, if there was a possibility they'd scrap all of that because of audience response to the demo?

Drencrom

If you're wrong, you'll do more than not be allowed to post in gaming! But you're being sort of evasive anyway, right? Like it just doesn't have to release in January? What does "many months" mean?

More importantly, do you really want it to be your word vs. Cory Barlog's when you haven't let us know what the source of your information is?

You can PM me.

0hQyd5L.gif

Tonky

Why would Sony green light the title, let them put so much work (VO, Soundtrack, "Fake Demo"), and then fucking SHOW IT AT E3, if there was a possibility they'd scrap all of that because of audience response to the demo?
Remember, we're talking about the studio that Sony sunk $100 million into for a new IP that was ultimately cancelled after 3 years of development.

Luminaire

Look, you guys are ganging up on me because you want me to be wrong about the release date. Fine. Wait 2 weeks or whatever we have left first? Gang up on me after E3, OK?

It's not about the release date, it's about you claiming an entire build and demo of a game was fake yet you have no proof other than "trust me I know, guys".

_Ryo_

Sure. And that leads to a question i have for you guys. When are you expecting the release date to be? Do you guys as a group have a consensus or what?

I dont understand the revelence of this question or how it supports your assertion that the E3 demo wasnt actually a concrete demo or that the studio was unsure as to which direction to take the game before gausing fan and audience reaction.

Release dates are irelevant to your position. Be it 2019, or 2020. Either they had a direction and it was a real demo, or it was not. Try not changing goal posts again pls.

You're getting perma-banned if you're wrong, but the problem is, you're not going to be wrong because nobody expects this to be out by January 2018 and we have no real way to prove that your claim of a faked demo is false despite evidence going against you, there's still no real way to prove otherwise.

Why would someone be perma-banned for being wrong about a release date ?

Drencrom

Remember, we're talking about the studio that Sony sunk $100 million into for a new IP that was ultimately cancelled after 3 years of development.

You just proved his point, they never actually announced or showed that IP in the first place because it wasn't ready to be shown.

Sony wouldn't show some faked "concept demo" of GoW if they hadn't even started on the game and wasn't sure what direction they would take it.

Why would someone be perma-banned for being wrong about a release date ?

This is more about asserting inside information regarding something. This "information" flies in the face of everything that has been revealed about the game by Cory and Sony. That's why a permanent ban could be coming

Yeah I'm just playing devil's advocate here, because the E3 demo did look pretty scripted to me. But that's the only thing that I agree with.

A scripted E3 demo? Well I never...

Just so we're clear, the thing that we will see, specifically, is that the release date is going to be significantly later than Jan 2018? Or are we going to see evidence of your other claim that the demo was only a proof of concept and the game was barely started as of E3 2016? e.g. the game being substantially different than what was originally revealed?
Release date.

Yeah I'm just playing devil's advocate here, because the E3 demo did look pretty scripted to me. But that's the only thing that I agree with.
They are always scripted because a lot of times nothing works outside of that or if you do something outside the script it can break the game. That's why these demos are scripted.

Simo

Of course, did you not see that Shogmaster lives in LA! Why would you not believe him???

Well he could add something actually beneficial to the thread and head down to where the mural is going up and get us some updated photos! Lol

Well he could add something actually beneficial to the thread and head down to where the mural is going up and get us some updated photos! Lol
I guess I can at least do that for you guys. Today is no good but ill try and do that tomorrow.

Drencrom

People seem to completely forget that the press actually played an extended demo....

Also, didn't Cory say that what we saw wasn't actually a part of the game?

Lots of games have setpieces and demos that actually don't play out like they do in the final game. Him saying the demo won't be in the game just means that deer scene might not play out exactly the same, not that "the game was just scripted animation and they haven't even started on the game."

vivekTO

Also, didn't Cory say that what we saw wasn't actually a part of the game?

Nope. you are making a different argument here now, a verticle slice is different than a "scripted proof of concept". verticle slice could be in the final release or improved upon its earlier showing , this is nothing new in the industry.

Also For a developer who sunk 100 million and three years, creating that type of demo which has high buzz among all E3 Demos and trailer is still very impressive and shows there capability, so the earlier argument is still not making any sense.

The thing is.Last year you claimed there was no game and you kinda have here, too. People want answers to that, not the freaking release date which hasn't even been announced yet.

Plus, Cory said the game is fully playable from start to finish, mocap is probably done too, iirc.

Arnie

If the release date isn't shown, or it's implied that it will launch 12 months on from this holiday, there's a very good chance that the demo - which looked polished - was actually a smoke and mirrors concept of what the game would be, rather than a slice from an actual existing product.

I'd say there's as much chance that we'll get a release date and a comprehensive overview of the game.

In general it's my opinion that it isn't good for games to have more than two E3 conference showings. Then it just becomes a bit of a mess.

Pennywise

The thing is.Last year you claimed there was no game and you kinda have here, too. People want answers to that, not the freaking release date which hasn't even been announced yet.

Plus, Cory said the game is fully playable from start to finish, mocap is probably done too, iirc.

This.
Either present some evidence or keep quiet.

Drencrom

http://in.ign.com/god-of-war-project/95415/preview/e3-2016-god-of-war-hands-on-impressions

But after its stunning reveal at Sony's E3 2016 conference, I got a chance to see an extended version of that demo, and speak with Cory Barlog

During my extended demo, we wandered off the beaten path and discovered a number of crafting resources, pieces of armor, and idols. God of War will feature larger, much more in-depth RPG systems, something Sony will discuss further down the road.

Doesn't sound like they have "no idea what direction to take the game" and that the E3 demo was all "smoke and mirrors". At least to me.

Top Bottom