• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Big Interview with Eshiro (Ace Attorney 5 Producer): Thoughts on difficulty + more

Frolow

Banned
http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/000/914/914785/
Apparently Motohide Eshiro did an interview with Dengeki recently where he talked about the series in general and the future of it. Interview's in Japanese, but someone on Court Records translated the bulk of it:
- A lot of fans reacted positive to Apollo's role in the game
- Some people thought the game was too easy and they'll keep that in mind for future games
- Eshiro as overwhelmed when Apollo ranked first in the NicoNico GS character election (dates from August 2013). Also glad that characters like Blackquill and Fulbright ranked in high.
- GS5 was originally planned to be a 3DS-only release, but because apps were becoming more important, they wanted to know whether it would be possible to have an app version. They made one scene, which was a bit troublesome, but they decided that this could work. While 3DS and (touch screen) smartphones are relatively 'alike', they had to rethink the user interface completely because the 3DS has two screens.
- Asked by the interviewer whether the character models were redone for iOS because they looked better, Eshiro said no. 3DS/iPhone all have different screens with their own characteristics, so they come out differently.
- The complete first chapter of iOS DD is free, because they did the same with iOS GS123. It's a lot of gameplay, but the precedent had already been set and the ending of that chapter does work as a hook for the rest of the game.
- Prices were based on regular App Store prices and internal discussion.
- Eshiro likes case 2 (he likes the creepy and mysterious atmosphere) and case 3.
- Yamazaki likes the last case
- Eshiro knows a lot of fans want an anime, but such a project costs a lot of time, and they just never managed to get the timing right for something like that. And just an anime would be boring, so he would like to do something special with it if they were to produce one.
- Personally, Eshiro would want to do a late night TV drama series, because he thinks the format fits GS well.

- The interviewer suggests a GS concert, to which Eshiro said he would think about it (laugh)
- Yamazaki would like to do something like a real-life game (i.e. escape the room games).
- GS5 is not the end of the GS series, DGS is coming and they'll want to do even more after that.

Frolow

Banned
Oh yeah, anyone who knows Japanese want to go through the interview and see if he clarifies if his team is working on DGS? From the initial translation it sounds like it, but I'm not entirely sure that's the case.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
- Eshiro knows a lot of fans want an anime, but such a project costs a lot of time, and they just never managed to get the timing right for something like that. And just an anime would be boring, so he would like to do something special with it if they were to produce one.
- Personally, Eshiro would want to do a late night TV drama series, because he thinks the format fits GS well.

I think they got what would be boring mixed up.

Arondight

I hope they get rid of the animated scenes. I didn't like them at all because of style differences and voice acting. The in game animation would have been just as good. Wouldn't mind if an anime was a separate thing.

Felt the game was much shorter than the previous ones. the reveal in the last chapter was surprisingly easy as well as short too. I kind of remember Trials and tribulations, AJ and Miles Edgworth being way longer.

I also liked how they added the 3 dimensional investigation but there just wasn't enough exploring,examination or evidence to collect.

I hope the IOS version took off and the next games are coming to IOS too. DD was a very good deal IMO.

Case 2 was the worst part of the game though.

tumblr_n3plfemORj1sd0d7go1_500.gif

I liked case 2. More so than Case 3. Means was terrible and his first appearance had my BS sensors ringing.

Asbear

Banned
What? If anything I was disappointed with the games final case and the overhyped third case. Case 2 was so unique and awesome.

Steel

Banned
So long as they stop with the "Dark Age of the Law" line and almost anything associated with it, I'll be happy.

Asbear

Banned
So long as they stop with the "Dark Age of the Law" line and almost anything associated with it, I'll be happy.

As long as Yamazaki let's another guy write I'm happy. The only good plot he did was AAI2 but even so character interactions were bland and lifeless in that game. Not saying Takumi is the only solution, but that guy is a much better script-writer.

Korigama

I think they got what would be boring mixed up.
Going to have to agree with this.

Hm, I didn't dislike any particular case this time. I should really hope that attempts to address the difficulty don't translate to making solutions more obtuse.

EDIT: Crap, I meant "agree" the first time (think I'll just get some sleep already).

Gestahl

Case 2 kind of just crumbled under the weight of Japanifornia. There are some text boxes in there that are 90% obscure Japanese trickster god/monster names and the localization team had no answer for it

What? If anything I was disappointed with the games final case and the overhyped third case. Case 2 was so unique and awesome.

Wat. I thought case 2 was the only lackluster case. DLC, 3, 4, and 5 were all great in my opinion, though case 3's culprit was too easy to guess it was still fun.

ZeroX03

Banned
Case 2 and DLC were fun, case 3 was the best. Obvious killer, but sold it on the character interactions. The overarching narrative in case 1, 4 and 5 on the other hand...

We talking hour long format? If so, I agree. Lots of video game to anime adaptations suffer from a half hour running length and short episode count meaning heaps of meaningful character and story points are missed. Ace Attorney also proved itself in the live action arena too.

Nibel

After finishing AA:I2, I just have on request to make:

For the love of everything, please don't include so much filler dialogue.

Steel

Banned
That probably ended with AA5, fortunately? Seems that it could have been a cool thing when set up in AA4, but AA5 botched it.

Well, I agree that it seemed interesting in 4 when it was set up as corruption. It was still a bit cringeworthy, imo.

I'm not sure it's ended though. I mean the
black pysche locks on Kristoph Gavin
were never opened, and AA5 shows how they can be opened by the ending. I... just hope if it's brought up again it's not quite as hamfisted as it was in 5...

As long as Yamazaki let's another guy write I'm happy. The only good plot he did was AAI2 but even so character interactions were bland and lifeless in that game. Not saying Takumi is the only solution, but that guy is a much better script-writer.

Haven't actually played the investigations games. How good are they anyway?

Frolow

Banned
Well, I agree that it seemed interesting in 4 when it was set up as corruption. It was still a bit cringeworthy, imo.

I'm not sure it's ended though. I mean the
black pysche locks on Kristoph Gavin
were never opened, and AA5 shows how they can be opened by the ending. I... just hope if it's brought up again it's not quite as hamfisted as it was in 5...

Haven't actually played the investigations games. How good are they anyway?

Popular belief is that
Apollo broke Kristoph's locks in court, hence his breakdown.

And the Investigation games are really good, Investigations 2 moreso than the first one.

Make the game as hard as you want, but you need to steal hint coins from layton. That way you get the best of both worlds, without being forced to have the assistant character virtually tell you the answer, if you don't want them to (which they had a terrible habit of doing in DD).

Frolow

Banned
Make the game as hard as you want, but you need to steal hint coins from layton. That way you get the best of both worlds, without being forced to have the assistant character virtually tell you the answer, if you don't want them to (which they had a terrible habit of doing in DD).

They already had a hint system in place in AA5. If you screwed up multiple times, the game could tell you what specific testimony you're supposed to present evidence at. Although it's not surprising you didn't encounter it. I played through the entire game without the mechanic ever popping up and only during the DLC case did I finally see it in action.

If this just kept this feature and just removed the unnecessary hinting, they would strike a good balance.

Bravocado

- GS5 is not the end of the GS series, DGS is coming and they'll want to do even more after that.

I literally just threw my fist in air and shouted "YES!" when I read that. So happy to hear it.

Case 2 is easily the worst case in the series.

I am super happy to see that they are considering expanding the franchise into different mediums. I would love both an anime and a crime drama. I think I might prefer an anime if it was maybe an hour or had continuous multi episode arcs. I would like new material that would fit into the games mytho's without being a complete retelling of the game's story.

I'm just glad to see that AA is getting some love at Capcom. It seems to be one of the healthiest franchises they have right now in terms of internal and fan support. Such a weird turn of events for the company.

Top Bottom