• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Big publishers and developers are worried about services like Gamepass

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
AAA games have nothing to worry about. People buy them in the millions. If it's a hot game, people will buy it. I don't see FIFA gamers waiting 9 months to get it on EA Access.

The biggest worry are b-tier devs. Those kind of b-quality games for $30-40, or they actually want to sell them for $60.

These are the kinds of games I think gamers will roll the dice waiting it out for Game Pass or PS Now. I don't see gamers itching to buy Just Cause by the millions of units for $60. But as a sub plan download 6-12 months later? Sure. Why not give it a try.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
I'll take the words of the people that are making the games

Cheap services delavue big budget $60 titles
Keep fighting the good fight

tenor.gif

Mista

Banned
I will ;)

AAA gaming FTW
Yes they’re FTW and they’re selling very well. You’re just stupid and want to create discussions out of nothing as usual. All AAA games sells MILLIONS yet you’re still creating an issue out of nothing. Typical you though, never stopped amusing me in being dumb.

Bryank75

Banned
Typical... Microsoft didn't win so they want to throw their toys out of the cott!

Muscle down the developers... Like they did to Remedy. Say that all these games will be there soon after launch and destroy day one sales across Xbox, PlayStation and PC so they can try and steal a few users from the competition.
I suppose making good games might bee asking too much of them. Or fighting fair...

Mista

Banned
Typical... Microsoft didn't win so they want to throw their toys out of the cott!

Muscle down the developers... Like they did to Remedy. Say that all these games will be there soon after launch and destroy day one sales across Xbox, PlayStation and PC so they can try and steal a few users from the competition.
I suppose making good games might bee asking too much of them. Or fighting fair...
What the fuck are you even saying?! You people are really out of your minds...

Do you know how dumb you’re sounding right now?

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

Yes they’re FTW and they’re selling very well. You’re just stupid and want to create discussions out of nothing as usual. All AAA games sells MILLIONS yet you’re still creating an issue out of nothing. Typical you though, never stopped amusing me in being dumb.
If it was nothing, this article wouldn't exist now would it and developers wouldn't be worried 🤷‍♂️

Bryank75

Banned
What the fuck are you even saying?! You people are really out of your minds...

Do you know how dumb you’re sounding right now?
If you remember back a few months ago Phil said in an interview that Control was coming to games pass.... This was not meant to be announced and destroyed any possibility of good sales in the lead up to Christmas.

By promising plenty of free games and most of them new or semi-new... You absolutely satiate the demand for games and undermine new games sales.

They just don't give a shit about the health of the industry as long as they win.

yurinka

I love how people like the one who wrote the article act as if PS Now doesn't exist when it's the market leader.

Right now they are something relatively small, but if they grow these subscription services will damage badly the gaming industry as happened with cinema or music before.

I think it can benefit devs if it continues as a tiny portion of the total gaming market where you can put your game to get an extra revenue when it doesn't sell anymore in the stores after a year or so of being discounted and price cutted, so to get some extra revenue from it it's better than zero revenue. But to put there your brand new game is a suicide because if right now publishers cut+platform holder 30% revenue cut+taxes and transaction fees+refunds & chargebacks already keep a small revenue for the dev in digital games (and way less in retail), in this case if even worse when you're getting paid a tiny amount of money depending on downloads or hours played, which in a shop of hundreds/thousands of games means that only a tiny portion of games may do good business.

As of now Microsoft pays the dev a fair certain amount of money on advance to the devs, but they do this with only some few cool guys. But they do this now because they want to grow userbase and to build catalog. But once they build a decently big enough userbase, and they stop charging $1 for it, I assume they will pay less to put a game there or will switch to the other toxic payment related to hours or downloads,

In any case, subscriptions are also a place where only a few games are added each month. Which means most devs aren't allowed to put their game there even if they want. So if in a future these subscripition systems dominate the market and continues being the same, means that that the game revenue is going to be almost zero.

"Executives" yeah sorry I'm not going to worry that Bobby kotick made 27 million this year when he made 28 million last year. Or andrew Wilson only made a mear 35 last year.
Kotick is the boss if the top 1 console publisher, they make a lot of money elsewhere. But it isn't the case of other dozens thousands of gaming companies. Top AAA publishers are less than 0.1% of all the game developer or publishers companies.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

I did. He is saying they just need to adapt and adjust their profit model. The sky isn't falling, things just change.
Sorry, I meant read the other quotes like this one

"It's an offer you can't refuse," another studio executive told Business Insider. "If you destroy the system of purchasing and replace it with a subscription model, then the subscription model is all that's left. It's just Netflix and Blockbuster; instead of renting per video, you're paying for subscription services."

nikolino840

Do you not see that it's basically the same thing? A big push towards all digital, no physical, drm up the ass.

Good marketing though.. Fooled you guys.
Hemmm...no...drm Is something that all publishers wants and used discs dosen't help them to earn the money... If you want to stay to the part of the devs like in the article....say that they have fear to not reach the proper Money
-
Platforms like Microsoft's Xbox Game Pass need that content to draw in subscribers, but the long-term effect could be dire for the industry: People stop buying games directly, and start paying for subscription services instead.
-

Like used discs problem (for the devs,and thats Is why i think you agree with Microsoft intention in the beggining of the gen)

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Sorry, I meant read the other quotes like this one

"It's an offer you can't refuse," another studio executive told Business Insider. "If you destroy the system of purchasing and replace it with a subscription model, then the subscription model is all that's left. It's just Netflix and Blockbuster; instead of renting per video, you're paying for subscription services."
That was the same guy I quoted. He is saying it is just what it is. Change or get left behind. He in no way is speaking doom and gloom. The article is clickbait and misleading.

Bryank75

Banned
Hemmm...no...drm Is something that all publishers wants and used discs dosen't help them to earn the money... If you want to stay to the part of the devs like in the article....say that they have fear to not reach the proper Money
-
Platforms like Microsoft's Xbox Game Pass need that content to draw in subscribers, but the long-term effect could be dire for the industry: People stop buying games directly, and start paying for subscription services instead.
-

Like used discs problem (for the devs,and thats Is why i think you agree with Microsoft intention in the beggining of the gen)
I want something tangible when I spend money... Games are a product, not a service and that is the way I want them to stay.

Only a fool would argue that paying for something intangible, that will never have value for them is a good thing.
It's hilarious how people fall for companies plans to disenfranchise customers.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I want something tangible when I spend money... Games are a product, not a service and that is the way I want them to stay.

Only a fool would argue that paying for something intangible, that will never have value for them is a good thing.
Every time you pay money to watch TV, sub to Netflix, Spotify, or Sirius, you are paying money without owning it either both in principle or as a physical copy.

Now if you really want to support media companies like you say, skip paying for any of this and buy as much tv, movie and music content in disc form.

nikolino840

The article Say also how the market are changed with movies and album
And i don't think Is changed in a so bad way imho,i can have all in my pocket with a smartphone

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Big publishers are worried, are well in that case. Good. But I highly doubt that, it's not like new games are on these services anyway. Or they are not properly paid, like DMC5.

Also if you think that for 60 bucks you actual own anything, that's laughable.... You own licence, which could be revoked for whatever reason. No the mention if you buy those game digitally.

This thread = Sony, Nintendo do not do it, so it's bad. And PS Now does not count, because PS does not even have it available in here. Would love to know how The Outer Wilds would fare without GamePass....

But that CONCERN is comedy gold.

Hobbygaming

That was the same guy I quoted. He is saying it is just what it is. Change or get left behind. He in no way is speaking doom and gloom. The article is clickbait and misleading.
"Change or get left behind" in this case would mean less AAA games and games that fit the subscription model instead

onQ123

More proof that Gamepass could hurt the AAA gaming landscape.

I'm fine with paying $60 to own my games.

Hobbygaming

Big publishers are worried, are well in that case. Good. But I highly doubt that, it's not like new games are on these services anyway. Or they are not properly paid, like DMC5.

Also if you think that for 60 bucks you actual own anything, that's laughable.... You own licence, which could be revoked for whatever reason. No the mention if you buy those game digitally.

This thread = Sony, Nintendo do not do it, so it's bad. And PS Now does not count, because PS does not even have it available in here. Would love to know how The Outer Wilds would fare without GamePass....

But that CONCERN is comedy gold.
You're not seeing the bigger picture

It's an offer you can't refuse," another studio executive told Business Insider. "If you destroy the system of purchasing and replace it with a subscription model, then the subscription model is all that's left. It's just Netflix and Blockbuster; instead of renting per video, you're paying for subscription services."

Also, I absolutely own my game if I can insert the physical disk into my PS4 and play it whenever I want. You're just arguing semantics

Hobbygaming

No the only people who think it will hurt the industry are Sony fanboys. I even read an interview where one dev said they benefitted from it, so obviously there can be no problems with the concept.
This is about big publishers/developers, not the smaller indie studio who would get more exposure sometimes from these services

Bryank75

Banned
The article Say also how the market are changed with movies and album
And i don't think Is changed in a so bad way imho,i can have all in my pocket with a smartphone
It's shit, I hate smart phones. Ironically the most stupid people spend the most time on their phones...

Music is the only real exception but then people don't really build a good connection to music as much as they did. It's turned into disposable shit rather than appreciating valuable art.

So if you view games as disposable shit.... Sure, that's the way to go.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This is about big publishers/developers, not the smaller indie studio who would get more exposure sometimes from these services
EA is one of the biggest (or biggest) dev/publisher out there. They even made their own EA Access service.

If it's so bad, why would they bother doing it?

sublimit

Banned
The biggest worry are b-tier devs. Those kind of b-quality games for $30-40, or they actually want to sell them for $60.

These are the kinds of games I think gamers will roll the dice waiting it out for Game Pass or PS Now. I don't see gamers itching to buy Just Cause by the millions of units for $60. But as a sub plan download 6-12 months later? Sure. Why not give it a try.

Exactly and this worries me a lot since these are the games that personally i find more interesting than anything in this industry. If mid-tier games disappear then all that we'll be left with will be safe, AAA blockbusters and hundrends small indie games to fill subscription services like Gamepass and whatever Sony makes.
This will be a terrible future for me.

Top Bottom