• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Big publishers and developers are worried about services like Gamepass

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
EA is one of the biggest (or biggest) dev/publisher out there. They even made their own EA Access service.

If it's so bad, why would they bother doing it?
Because they can still charge microtransactions and build their games around them the further gaming goes the service route

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Exactly and this worries me a lot since these are the games that personally i find more interesting than anything in this industry. If mid-tier games disappear then all that we'll be left with will be safe, AAA blockbusters and hundrends small indie games to fill subscription services like Gamepass and whatever Sony makes.
This will be a terrible future for me.
Yup.

For me, I'm fine. I skew to the big name games and then an assortment of indie style games I get for $15 or less. Some I even bought for like $3-5.

Mid-tier quality games I don't care about.

But for you gamers that like games such as...... Just Cause, Darksiders, The Hunt: Showdown, Red Faction, Homefront etc..... these are the kinds of games I see dinged the most.

Gamers will either wait for sub plans. And if they don't come and eventually cave in to buying it, it'll already be on some 67% off digital sale.

You can buy physical. Every game on GamePass that has a physical release, still has a physical release after GamePass.

Artists are making more and more money through streaming and still make money off records. They make the most money from touring, as they always have. Television and movie studios make more money than ever selling rights to all of these streaming services. Plus they still make tons of money selling BR and DVD discs. Hell they mention the woman who created Scandal getting a $150,000,000 check from Netflix and say “the money doesn’t last forever!!” uh fucking what?

If a publisher gets a kings ransom for content and blows the money, that’s the fault of Gamepass? I mean, when you look at the money TV and movies make now thanks to streaming, this article doesn’t make any sense.

Bryank75

Banned
You can buy physical. Every game on GamePass that has a physical release, still has a physical release after GamePass.

Artists are making more and more money through streaming and still make money off records. They make the most money from touring, as they always have. Television and movie studios make more money than ever selling rights to all of these streaming services. Plus they still make tons of money selling BR and DVD discs. Hell they mention the woman who created Scandal getting a $150,000,000 check from Netflix and say “the money doesn’t last forever!!” uh fucking what?

If a publisher gets a kings ransom for content and blows the money, that’s the fault of Gamepass? I mean, when you look at the money TV and movies make now thanks to streaming, this article doesn’t make any sense.
Facts are that artists make WAY less money now than years ago and have to tour almost annually to make the money that is expected.

We are not talking about millionaire artists here either... You want to offer less money to people who do highly skilled work and that barely earn a decent living in many cases.

So all that comparison you made is nonsense.

I cannot believe people would shill so hard for one of the most abusive and shityy corporations in the world, at the expense of the real people who sacrifice to make games for us.

Facts are that artists make WAY less money now than years ago and have to tour almost annually to make the money that is expected.

We are not talking about millionaire artists here either... You want to offer less money to people who do highly skilled work and that barely earn a decent living in many cases.

So all that comparison you made is nonsense.

I cannot believe people would shill so hard for one of the most abusive and shityy corporations in the world, at the expense of the real people who sacrifice to make games for us.

If game developers “barely earn a decent living” from these publishers then why do we care that these publishers are supposedly upset about the potential of GamePass? Why aren’t you up in arms about devs not earning a decent living 😆

I’m shilling for myself, a consumer.

ethomaz

Banned
I did. He is saying they just need to adapt and adjust their profit model. The sky isn't falling, things just change.
That basically means they need to adjust the budget that goes to make the games.

Gamepass supports cheap game as service development but that I said in 2018 with the announce of services like Gamepass... the quality of games will drop.

Last edited:

bigdawg69

Banned
That basically means they need to adjust the budget that goes to make the games.

Gamepass supports cheap game as service development but that I said in 2018 with the announce of services like Gamepass... the quality of games will drop.
what happens when the next spiderman releases on sonys gamepass rip off?

Bryank75

Banned
If game developers “barely earn a decent living” from these publishers then why do we care that these publishers are supposedly upset about the potential of GamePass? Why aren’t you up in arms about devs not earning a decent living 😆

I’m shilling for myself, a consumer.
An Xbox consumer to be precise!

bigdawg69

Banned
Same as any Gamepass like service lol
You will have a small and low quality Spider-man title focused in game as service...
Dumb question.

The opposite.
look forward to hearing your response in a few years when sony copies ms's gamepass and shits out all their games on a service just like how ms has been doing.

ethomaz

Banned
look forward to hearing your response in a few years when sony copies ms's gamepass and shits out all their games on a service just like how ms has been doing.
I don’t change my instance in things I think is bad for gamers and/or industry lol

How something bad today become good in the future? That is bullshit level of thinking.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
And game design will only get worse

It would be a sign that the worst era of gaming is coming
It is where gaming is going. At the end of the day, the good content will still come because these services will be competing with each other. I actually think game quality will only get better.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.

Facts. He says the profit margin would be built into the game, meaning more monetization, and less funding into projects

Why the personal insults guys. We all here to discuss the hobby we love. Lets just all get along ok.

As for this particular topic. I don't know really. I don't mind paying for games any price. As long as i am getting a great experience. Its all that matters to me and what should matter in the end.

I don’t get the logic that game design is going to suddenly get worse, either. The most similar market to GamePass is the video streaming market and that constantly produces some of the best stuff we can consume. It’s a common theory the haters throw out, that MS will just poop out games to fill GamePass but how exactly does that help them sell the service?

And how will it affect game design as a whole? Big publishers can just make their games as they always have. I mean, can game design and monetization really get any worse? There is a thread on page one right now about a remake of a three generation old game that is timed exclusive, so the publisher got a big check there. They’re maximizing returns on the project by splitting it up into multiple parts, there’s preorder DLC, and the thread is regarding how you can buy candy bars and upload receipts to unlock more DLC. But oh no, fucking GamePass is the problem 😆

Why should I care what publishers think when studios are making a choice to put their games in game pass? Why should I care that an incredible deal for myself and other gamers scares them? They should be scared. Maybe that will spur them to do better or match it. We are still going to get big AAA games no matter what, and no amount of fear mongering about an incredible gaming service is going to change that.

Its not like new games gets released on game pass the same day as launch. I actually bought lots of games thanks to the game pass. SURPRISEEEEE!

Enough with the drama already
On another note I've been more likely to purchase dlc/season pass because of game pass. I bought shadow of the tomb raider dlc (which is great) because I saved the money from buying a game I wanted anyway.

How is it a few don't see how subscription based content leads to even more garbage than what already exist? All of our favorite streaming services offer a majority shit-tier level of content with woefully few modest to great content. All this does is create an even bigger straight to video type racket for games.

Kumomeme

the bussiness model good for consumer..they need to pay less to play game..but for developers is different..they need lot of money to make game

for smaller devs might be ok..but for triple A game it would be different...game nowdays cost very high with years of development period..they surely want recover back their initial budget

After all its up for money resource to determine the scale and quality of the game..to do all this need technology,manpower and time which is fall to money resources

there concern that devs might end up get low pay another concern of developers need to put microtransaction to cover the cost and there concern it might affected game quality infuture due to lower budget...thats developers site

on consumer site there concern of you dont own the game, what happened when service shutdown blahblahblah..

talk about netflix, thats probably why ms goes acquire studio..not just because to compete with sony but also for their first party content, like how netflix does where they no need to depend on third party content, incase those company decided to pull out their game. But i heard company like netflix spend tons of money to make quality content though..not sure how it would cope up the budget...for film and music, they still had different platform like cinema and concert. I am not suprise if they increase the price or do whatever need to makesure money keep flowing in future. Basically, enjoy what we have today while it still 'cheap'.

but i believe this model wont replace what we use todays...this just add additional option to the existing model and this things still new...here lot of things need to be ironed out.

HolyTruth

Banned
Ah, „ Disclosure: Mathias Döpfner, CEO of Business Insider's parent company, Axel Springer“

This guy has the same paper in Germany as the British „the Sun“. Just to show you how reputable it is.

I wouldn’t trust a Wort he says. Or are you trusting „the sun“?

Keep fighting the good fight

tenor.gif
Yeah... I don't see it as much as some others do. Who cares when they've gotten their money? The subscriptions turn into large sums of money toward the developers.

Sony can't release their version of Game Pass soon enough, these threads man....

PS Now is sort of their competition. PS4 and PS2 games are downloadable (PS4 only). In fact, one could argue that it has better content, but it's more expensive.

Last edited:
Yep, Game Pass is basically the Coronavirus, terrorism, and the death of the West all wrapped up in one, innit /s

Non-Nintendo AAA games are overrated anyway. 60 euros/pounds/bucks for fancy graphics and button mashing? You could buy 10 Blu-rays for that price, and a few beers too.

Anyway, AAA games always make profit, that's why they are AAA.

AA games, Gaf is saying, will suffer most. But they will probably be supported by the players or abandoned for sucking.

Game Pass is a great demo service, which prompts players to purchase the full game for the best experience. It will fuel the industry and cut down on the chaff.

How it works with me is, Snake Pass is leaving this week, and I beat 1 or 2 levels, but the game isn't that great (the player's fault for not understanding the genius controls) so it won't be getting any more of my money. But Mad Max left a while ago and that was awesome, but I didn't beat it, so will probably get it at a later date.

Game Pass is win-win for players and devs, it legitimizes DLC, and will DESTROY Sony in the next gen, basically.

Last edited:

Aion002

Yep, Game Pass is basically the Coronavirus, terrorism, and the death of the West all wrapped up in one, innit /s

Non-Nintendo AAA games are overrated anyway. 60 euros/pounds/bucks for fancy graphics and button mashing? You could buy 10 Blu-rays for that price, and a few beers too.

Anyway, AAA games always make profit, that's why they are AAA.

AA games, Gaf is saying, will suffer most. But they will probably be supported by the players or abandoned for sucking.

Game Pass is a great demo service, which prompts players to purchase the full game for the best experience. It will fuel the industry and cut down on the chaff.

How it works with me is, Snake Pass is leaving this week, and I beat 1 or 2 levels, but the game isn't that great (the player's fault for not understanding the genius controls) so it won't be getting any more of my money. But Mad Max left a while ago and that was awesome, but I didn't beat it, so will probably get it at a later date.

Game Pass is win-win for players and devs, it legitimizes DLC, and will DESTROY Sony in the next gen, basically.

But Sony already got DESTROYED on Ps2 gen, because MS has infinite money.....

Then she got DESTROYED again, cause the ps3 was too expensive and the blu ray was a piece of shit. The MS format was the best, hddvd or something...

Also she just got DESTROYED for the third time, since Kinect + always on + TV powaaa.

Yeah... every single beginning of gen... same old shit.

You guys never learn.... Eh?

Even Ms gave up on that shit.... They will probably start releasing games on Playstation and Nintendo (which they already do) soon...

But Sony already got DESTROYED on Ps2 gen, because MS has infinite money.....

Then she got DESTROYED again, cause the ps3 was too expensive and the blu ray was a piece of shit. The MS format was the best, hddvd or something...

Also she just got DESTROYED for the third time, since Kinect + always on + TV powaaa.

Yeah... every single beginning of gen... same old shit.

You guys never learn.... Eh?

Even Ms gave up on that shit.... They will probably start releasing games on Playstation and Nintendo (which they already do) soon...

There's room for two, I guess. I was just overdoing it lol. I'm excited for the start of next-gen, and I think fans of both bases will be greatly pleased at the results of the constant one-upping the companies engage in. I wonder if Sony will do a Game Pass model of their own?

Last edited:

Aion002

There's room for two, I guess. I was just overdoing it lol. I'm excited for the start of next-gen, and I think fans of both bases will be greatly pleased at the results of the constant one-upping the companies engage in. I wonder if Sony will do a Game Pass model of their own?
They already have, its called Ps now.

Just a hot take:

Sony will never adopt the whole MS model they want to sell consoles, Ms gave up on that, they want to sell services.

MS said that they don't see Sony and Nintendo as a competition anymore, all this console war is becoming more and more silly... I believe we are long pass the Halo and God of War killers console war times.

As soon as the Ps5 starts having a reasonable user base, MS as services seller, will want to sell stuff there.... Because they want money.

In the end of day, Sony will sell more consoles than MS and MS will, probably, profit more with services, everybody wins... Minus some third party studios that will be under Epic, Steam, Sony, Nintendo and MS thumbs... Depending on how things proceeds... Which is kinda of scary for them...

mcjmetroid

More proof that Gamepass could hurt the AAA gaming landscape.

I'm fine with paying $60 to own my games.

Please think about yourself and your own money rather than worrying about "big publishers and developers".
They'll adapt and survive, they'll have to.

EVERYTHING is going to go to a "netflix" style service eventually ( Except Stadia lol)

Last edited:
Top Bottom