• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Big Tech Is Going to Decide What You Can See, digital civil war

Feb 25, 2013
Crap like this and big techs search algorithms destroyed our wellness business (a homemade all natural body care shop and a healthy living blog.). The blog traffic dropped over 97% overnight when the new Google policies hit... Only the most popular and most successful natural health blogs that have lots of established branding and strong word of mouth survived. Even they took a huge hit and saw a 70-90% decrease in traffic. We're talking about articles written or reviewed by doctors and healthcare professionals. Thank God my wife is still being hired to write for some of them as a research writer/food photographer and recipe developer... For now.

Trying to reboot and relaunch the shop right now off of Etsy. After they allowed made in China and factory made items and jacked up fees for sellers the small handmade market there took a big hit. Got lots of demand from former customers on Facebook at least... The goal is to break away from it though. Gonna be really slow going since Google now buries any quality natural health info.

DeepBreath87

Jun 15, 2019
Yeah fuck right off Twitter and Facebook. Anonymous sources of third hand conversations are fine but this isn’t?

whitehawk

leeches are the best bait when attempting to land bass
Jan 27, 2008
Canada
Looking more into this, Twitter made th
It's almost as if all of you should stop using the services of companies like Facebook and Twitter.
I found a really good job through Facebook in January. I work in TV so I'm always looking for work. Leaving Facebook isn't as easy as it sounds when your livelyhood depends on it.

joe_zazen

May 2, 2017
Another one that was literally killed by big tech: Unity2020

We the people draft two candidates: one from the left, one from the right.

Once elected, they agree to govern as a team. All decisions and appointments will be made jointly in the interests of the American public. Only when they cannot reach agreement, or when a decision does not allow for consultation, does the President decide independently. A coin flip determines which candidate runs at the top of the ticket.
impractical? Sure? Goofy? You bet. But they weren’t allowed to even try because you cannot organise a new movement without access to social media in 2020. Free speech is pointless if all it means is being able to stand on a street corner.

edit: and they never got a response on why they were banned.

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
Either Trump wins and we figure out a way out of this, or we are fucked.

Insurmountable big tech censorship on all major issues will become commonplace and no notable criticism of big tech will make it through their censors.
We are China, this is shit the Communists in China do. The difference is, we have a chance to kill it, whereas they’re too far gone. I pray to God we are not too late.

DJT123

Aug 27, 2020
South Africa
In all likelihood we are just a few months away from the death of America as we know it and the ushering in of some new totalitarian CCP-esque regime. It will take a long time to fully show up but it's coming.
It's better to assume that outcome and mentally prepare for it right now, at least, while doing everything possible to help avoid it.

Bernd Lauert

Apr 15, 2018
If polls are right (or Dems just steal it) and Dems hold all three chambers from January on, and they have their own ministry of truth with Facebook and Twitter, a certain way of life will be literally over. There's no more going back from that. And if you think the supreme court will save you, good luck with that. They could easily pack the court with the aforementioned power.

diffusionx

Feb 25, 2006
Twitter's "policy" that they will only allow "authorized" content is nonsensical considering they are applying this to an actual news article written by a news organization. Did they censor stories about Trump's tax return? That was not "authorized" to be leaked to the NYT and they said flat out they are keeping their sources private. So why does one piece of journalism, written using "documents obtained", get censored by Twitter and the other, also written using "documents obtained", does not? Did Jack Dorsey address this (lol)?

Again social media has been conspiring with left-wing media outlets and activist groups since late 2016 to censor those they don't support with the stated purpose of winning the 2020 election. Even with a decrepit senile old man the plan has not changed. Dorsey is just throwing out bullshit here to run out the clock, and I doubt he will get punished for it.

Last edited:

Croatoan

Jun 24, 2014
Ted Cruz is a goddamned legend. Man he has really turned it around after 2016 and almost losing to Beto the Beta. I really hope he runs again in 2024...and wins!

That said, we have likely already lost. If trump isn't president in 2021 then only our guns will get us out of this mess.

Last edited:

CloudNull

Oct 14, 2019
Fuck man. I was getting to the point of thinking we were going to be alright if Biden wins. Worse off but okay as a country. Now I am back to being scared shitless. If Trump does not win the internet and pursuit of knowledge will forever be changed.

and 3 others

Gold Member
Feb 27, 2020
Fuck man. I was getting to the point of thinking we were going to be alright if Biden wins. Worse off but okay as a country. Now I am back to being scared shitless. If Trump does not win the internet and pursuit of knowledge will forever be changed.
I don't think it's that bleak. But, it just means the next Pendulum swing back right with be even harder the next time if Trump doesn't win.

diffusionx

Feb 25, 2006
I don't think it's that bleak. But, it just means the next Pendulum swing back right with be even harder the next time if Trump doesn't win.
There’s not gonna be a pendulum if Trump doesn't win.

I mean in actual real life we were all forced inside and our businesses closed by the government while they supported mass left-wing riots. They prosecuted people who defended themselves and got people fired for disagreeing. What do you think is going to happen when they have total control of the federal government?

Last edited:

psorcerer

May 1, 2012
Its pretty bleak man. I mean, its like these people think 1984 was a freaking instruction manual, and not a fictional warning.

I don't want to live in the world of 1984.
You will. People long for USSR 2.0, they like being told what to do and what to think.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Devilich

draw4wild

Sep 23, 2011
Kind of a tangent, but I went to leave a review on Cuomo's new book on Amazon and found out my account is banned from reviewing.

The only other items I ever reviewed was a bad tasting protein powder and Hilary's Clinton book that I said made terrific toilet paper.

vpance

Jun 20, 2005
Either Trump wins and we figure out a way out of this, or we are fucked.

Insurmountable big tech censorship on all major issues will become commonplace and no notable criticism of big tech will make it through their censors.
Hope 4 years is enough time. It should’ve been ended already though.

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: autoduelist

and 3 others

Gold Member
Feb 27, 2020
There’s not gonna be a pendulum if Trump doesn't win.

I mean in actual real life we were all forced inside and our businesses closed by the government while they supported mass left-wing riots. They prosecuted people who defended themselves and got people fired for disagreeing. What do you think is going to happen when they have total control of the federal government?
Yeah, I guess I've jettisoned most shit from my brain thats happened lately.

diffusionx

Feb 25, 2006
Yeah, I guess I've jettisoned most shit from my brain thats happened lately.
If all this stuff gets them to where they need it to be, which is beating Trump, they are going to make sure they institutionalize it going forward, similar to how Obama made W's illegal wars and spying bipartisan.

Democrats are not going to get rid of the corporate mobs they've cultivated (the ones that show up at somebody's house after CNN prints some news), social media isn't going to unban boomer conservatives, Soros DAs aren't going to start prosecuting rioters. They're all going to make sure this stuff stays constant so nobody who opposes them ever gets a chance to get in power.

Last edited:

Mihos

Gold Member
May 10, 2009
steamcommunity.com

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013

#Phonepunk#

Sep 4, 2018
meet the new boss, same as the old boss

the media has always retained control over what the public is allowed to see. back in medieval Europe they would burn books for not being written in the correct languages. both the church and the secular law enacted strict IP punishments. it was an early method of deplatforming that they did out in public. a burning of a book in the public square didn't just suppress information, it proved an example to the rest of the people to be wary of those in power.

we like to think we are so much more evolved than them, but really, are we that much closer to the reigns of power than a medieval peasant? our physical level of comfort is at the level of kings but control and information wise we are still peasants. the Catholic church was one of the first worldwide intellectual properties and joined in on the oppression. but the difference is their reach was limited by technology and geography of the time. these media companies are FAR WORSE. they are keeping literally billions of people in the dark.

peasants were considered "illiterate" solely because they did not know the official legal and regal languages of Latin and French. you could read and write and speak in German and live in Germany and be considered illiterate to the elites who conducted official public in Latin. Latin is still the basis of much legal speak, and it is quite incomprehensible to anyone who has ever tried to get through a Terms of Service. to even understand the law requires years and years of dedicated study, affordable only to the wealthy. Pelosi herself mocked Wolf Blitzer, a professional political reporter, for "not having a clue what he is talking about". the modern elite is so scornful and protective that they will even lash out at their paid servants. indeed they see us little people as "not deserving to know what they are voting for" (Joe Biden) and think of us the same as medieval kings looked at peasants. rabble to be tolerated and taxed but not included in the process of government.

Last edited: