• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Big Tech Is Going to Decide What You Can See, digital civil war

NickFire

Mar 12, 2014
If anyone thought journalism still existed outside of Fox, I have one question:

INSTEAD OF IGNORING A BLATANT EXAMPLE OF CORPORATE FASCISM, why aren't every single media outlet demanding to know why a social media platform is calling this stolen or hacked information, and then following up on what the information shows?

If its hacked then its true, right? And if its true then we are going into an election without anyone (who he will talk to) challenging the prior lies and profiteering from public office.

Last edited:

autoduelist

Gold Member
Aug 30, 2014
I find the actions of Twitter and such untenable - absolutely incongruent with the precepts and principles of America. So much so they they put the foundations of our country at imminent and real risk.

Big tech have dabbled in election interference for years, but this is absolutely aggregious, beyond the pale. Long to mid term, it should result in a massive crackdown on censorship, possibly even breaking up big tech somehow...

In short, this is a battle many have seen coming for decades - the multinationals directly at war with a nationstate for power. Or, perhaps better put, a major strike by multinationals while our nationstate is effectively asleep at the wheel during a power struggle.

But this is too big to settle before the election. Too complicated. So, I am ready for the nuclear option. Ban twitter from operating in the States until the election is over for election interference, or mass arrests of Twitter execs for election interference. Perhaps that is too dramatic, but something dramatic must be done. Perhaps some arrests would be enough? I do not know what we can do, but I know stern words won't be enough.

I know that sounds absurd. I recognize that the idea of shutting down twitter sounds laughable. I don't even know if it could be done - perhaps some WWII era communication laws. But this will continue unless something is done. Our government has gone after big companies like Ma Bell before. It is time for us to reclaim our communications for the people and it is far too late to let it simmer in the courts or Congress for years. Big tech is weaponizing their power during this election, moreso than ever before [media always has, to some degree].

I normally research any applicable laws to see how possible an idea is. I don't know where to start here, because like I said, some obscure law might be the one that matters. Nationwide election interference, the silencing of elected officials, government agencies, their appointed officials, and major news organizations can not stand. We can not allow unelected, unappointed multinational executives to interfere in our elections to this degree.

If any nation attempted to do this to us, we would be at the brink of war. We should not hold back simply because it is an apparent oligarchy of corporations attempting to secure power.

Maybe I just need more coffee today, but I think we are at a precipice.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Sep 4, 2018
If its hacked then its true, right? And if its true then we are going into an election without anyone (who he will talk to) challenging the prior lies and profiteering from public office.
thinking back to 2016, what made me the most mad was that they acted like the public had no right to see the info. it was "hacked" and thus, we shouldn't see it. it doesn't matter that we are literally paying these people to supposedly work for us, because WE the people are what makes up this country.

the saddest thing is, i think the media gets away with it because so many partisan hacks are willing to go along with it and excuse it. they are willing to put power ahead of country, party ahead of the people.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
the saddest thing is, i think the media gets away with it because so many partisan hacks are willing to go along with it and excuse it. they are willing to put power ahead of country, party ahead of the people.
They convinced people that supporting career politicians, corrupt letter agencies, and media companies makes them #resistance

Preorder the Deluxe Edition and get 10 virtue points and a Verified Blue Checkmark.

decisions

Jun 16, 2015
Yeah we need legislation on this sort of thing fast. If you're communication platform is biased, you must say so. If the 1st amendment stands in your platform, then you cannot censor information that is not obviously obscene.

The most dangerous thing in tech is not Apple's 30% tax that is actively upheld by developers choosing to pay it and Apple continuing to develop products that keep people interested in iOS - it's information control.

vpance

Jun 20, 2005
I find the actions of Twitter and such untenable - absolutely incongruent with the precepts and principles of America. So much so they they put the foundations of our country at imminent and real risk.

Big tech have dabbled in election interference for years, but this is absolutely aggregious, beyond the pale. Long to mid term, it should result in a massive crackdown on censorship, possibly even breaking up big tech somehow...

In short, this is a battle many have seen coming for decades - the multinationals directly at war with a nationstate for power. Or, perhaps better put, a major strike by multinationals while our nationstate is effectively asleep at the wheel during a power struggle.

But this is too big to settle before the election. Too complicated. So, I am ready for the nuclear option. Ban twitter from operating in the States until the election is over for election interference, or mass arrests of Twitter execs for election interference. Perhaps that is too dramatic, but something dramatic must be done. Perhaps some arrests would be enough? I do not know what we can do, but I know stern words won't be enough.

I know that sounds absurd. I recognize that the idea of shutting down twitter sounds laughable. I don't even know if it could be done - perhaps some WWII era communication laws. But this will continue unless something is done. Our government has gone after big companies like Ma Bell before. It is time for us to reclaim our communications for the people and it is far too late to let it simmer in the courts or Congress for years. Big tech is weaponizing their power during this election, moreso than ever before [media always has, to some degree].

I normally research any applicable laws to see how possible an idea is. I don't know where to start here, because like I said, some obscure law might be the one that matters. Nationwide election interference, the silencing of elected officials, government agencies, their appointed officials, and major news organizations can not stand. We can not allow unelected, unappointed multinational executives to interfere in our elections to this degree.

If any nation attempted to do this to us, we would be at the brink of war. We should not hold back simply because it is an apparent oligarchy of corporations attempting to secure power.

Maybe I just need more coffee today, but I think we are at a precipice.
Trump is calling for section 230 to be repealed. I think that's as far as they can go right now.

It's going to be a long drawn out process no matter what. Of course if he's not reelected it's GG. They're having a senate hearing on this and Twitter, FB, Google will be there to testify on the 23rd.

Reactions: hariseldon

Zefah

Gold Member
Jan 7, 2007
It's hilarious how that Washington Post article is basically a "pinned thread" at the top of the Trending list on Twitter.

Reactions: cryptoadam

jason10mm

Feb 3, 2009
So if the Trump admin rolls into Twitter's offices, drags the execs off in chains, and shuts down their servers or whatever they use, would that be the equivalent of a banana republic dictator shutting down a radio or tv station?

And if it is the equivalent, does this mean Twitter is a national communication service like radio and tv and thus should be regulated and overseen by the FCC?

Reactions: Hari Seldon

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
So if the Trump admin rolls into Twitter's offices, drags the execs off in chains, and shuts down their servers or whatever they use, would that be the equivalent of a banana republic dictator shutting down a radio or tv station?

And if it is the equivalent, does this mean Twitter is a national communication service like radio and tv and thus should be regulated and overseen by the FCC?
People will tie themselves in knots, as they have been doing.

Twitter has to supply a list of every link that the site has blocked since January of 2019. ....

Oof.gif
Very nice.

I hope Congress puts its big boy panties on and actually fights this, because if they don't it's only going to come back and get worse and worse.

Thankfully EviLore EviLore has kept NeoGAF as a safe haven for bipartisan conversation so far! Hope it stays that way for a long time!

makaveli60

Jan 7, 2018
Its pretty bleak man. I mean, its like these people think 1984 was a freaking instruction manual, and not a fictional warning.

I don't want to live in the world of 1984.
And what is even crazier is how many people are cheering for it. I knew that generally people are simple-minded and stupid without the ability to critically think but I didn't expect them to be this stupid. Pray to God, that's all I can say at this point.

fatty

Sep 6, 2004
users.ign.com

A top policy executive at Twitter announced policy changes at the social media giant late Thursday after the company faced its toughest allegations yet of censorship in order to protect Democratic candidates.

Vijaya Gadde, the legal, policy and trust & safety lead at the company, announced that some of the changes will include its approach to “hacked content” and how it shares links on its platform.

“All other Twitter Rules will still apply to the posting of or linking to hack materials, such as our rules against posting private information, synthetic and manipulated media, and non-consensual nudity,” she posted.

The social media giant became the story when it reportedly decided to block a story.

joe_zazen

May 2, 2017
And what is even crazier is how many people are cheering for it. I knew that generally people are simple-minded and stupid without the ability to critically think but I didn't expect them to be this stupid. Pray to God, that's all I can say at this point.
25% of millennials and younger did not think free elections were important, 46% would prefer to be ruled by experts and scientists, and only 19% agreed with the statment “it is illegitimate for a military to overthrow a democarcy.’ https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/democracy-essential-millennials-increasingly-aren-t-sure-should-concern-us-ncna847476

weird.

Reactions: dolabla

makaveli60

Jan 7, 2018
25% of millennials and younger did not think free elections were important, 46% would prefer to be ruled by experts and scientists, and only 19% agreed with the statment “it is illegitimate for a military to overthrow a democarcy.’ https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/democracy-essential-millennials-increasingly-aren-t-sure-should-concern-us-ncna847476

weird.
To be honest, I expected much bigger numbers. Still, it's damn sad. No matter what one thinks about religion, destroying Christianity (which was western society based on) is perhaps the biggest reason for this decay.

Zefah

Gold Member
Jan 7, 2007

Mohonky

Jan 19, 2007
This is why I don't like the idea of censorship on these platforms. There's a metric shit tonne of misinformation on these platforms, but when you give the platform the power to decide what is factual; you open up a whole other can of worms.

Dec 15, 2011
I think they made it worse.
They always make it worse.

All these knee-jerk moves to insist not only is there NOTHING TO SEE HERE but to control the information regular people can see or share is testament to the value of that information.

As the rhetoric for that side so often enjoys preaching "You have nothing to fear of you have nothing to hide".

cormack12

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2013
The problem is the one you see to a certain extent as a brand becomes moer influential. Its become apparent now that the platform should be seperated from the data. The conversations should be happening in an open forum that services plug into. Then these services can do what they want on their platforms. If you leave the platform, then you can still access the same conversations - that's the problem. It's becoming mroe apparent though that content generated by users shouldn't be used to create a captive audience (at least in my opinion). This is what is creating extremist bubbles with conversations/opinions being censored from being expressed. Those expressions should still be able to be aired (except obvious exmeptions due to illegality) but filtered to content moderation by each platform holder. That's the problem, but now you have monoliths in place that need breaking apart like Twitter/Facebook etc.

Marlenus

Jul 29, 2013
UK
Either Trump wins and we figure out a way out of this, or we are fucked.

Insurmountable big tech censorship on all major issues will become commonplace and no notable criticism of big tech will make it through their censors.
Just build a competing platform and boycott Twitter / Facebook. Let the free market do its job and let the best platform(s) win.

infinitys_7th

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2006
Just build a competing platform and boycott Twitter / Facebook. Let the free market do its job and let the best platform(s) win.
Yeah, we can all get the infinite spook money that these companies got to stay afloat the first decade they were losing money :rolleyes:

Even now none of these companies are successful - even Facebook barely has an actual business model. They just get flooded with mystery money.

Last edited:

Marlenus

Jul 29, 2013
UK
Yeah, we can all get the infinite spook money that these companies got to stay afloat the first decade they were losing money :rolleyes:

Even now none of these companies are successful - even Facebook barely has an actual business model. They just get flooded with mystery money.
So then surely it is a lucrative market for someone to come in and disrupt.

I don't see how people can say that the free market is great and there should be as little regulation as possible and then say that facebook/twitter etc should have more regulation applied to them. Surely more regulation would increase the barrier to entry into the market stifling competition.

Maybe a better strategy would have been to prevent Facebook from buying whatsapp, instagram, Snapchat etc so there would be more competition in the social media space.

infinitys_7th

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2006
So then surely it is a lucrative market for someone to come in and disrupt.

I don't see how people can say that the free market is great and there should be as little regulation as possible and then say that facebook/twitter etc should have more regulation applied to them. Surely more regulation would increase the barrier to entry into the market stifling competition.

Maybe a better strategy would have been to prevent Facebook from buying whatsapp, instagram, Snapchat etc so there would be more competition in the social media space.
It's not a free market when the government can pour as much money as possible into their favored actors. This is basic economics lol

00_Zer0

Nov 20, 2018
I'm tired of Republican politicians being outraged about big tech censorship and nothing ever being done. They can whine and grandstand all they want, but scolding the tech giants in front of a committee does nothing. How many times have they dragged Zuckerberg and Dorsey over to Congress to answer questions only for it to fizzle out and nothing changes?

Democrats want the tech giants to sensor more and Republicans want less and so these tech giants are just going to keep doing what they are doing to keep their heads above water to survive.

Nothing will ever happen until actual laws are changed or these companies are broken up for having too much power. That will take both Democrats and Republicans to work together to repeal section 230 and that will never happen. In power hungry Washington where partisan politics reigns supreme even common sense is being left by the wayside.

Last edited:
Reactions: hariseldon