• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Big Ten votes to cancel season. CFB season most likely cancelled.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Source: https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ootball-season-due-coivd-concerns/3332196001/

The Big Ten presidents have voted against conducting a season in the fall, three people with knowledge of the decision confirmed to the Detroit Free Press.

The people requested anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly on the decision. A formal announcement is expected on Tuesday, the people said.

Pac-12 is expected to follow. This likely means no CFB season at all. ACC and Big 12 are reportedly on the fence. Can't see SEC being the only ones to try.

Pagusas

Elden Member
NFL is next, and its for the best. Just one player getting sick will knock out an entire team unless they do what the NBA did (which I cant imagine happening, no place with enough football fields for a full sunday schedule)

Pagusas

Elden Member
Really dumb, but maybe it will finally destroy college athletics once and for all.

Curious why its dumb? I mean yeah this thing might not kill any of them, but whole teams getting sick and then getting other teams sick, and having to cancel games? Thats worse then just not playing for a season.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
NFL is next, and its for the best. Just one player getting sick will knock out an entire team unless they do what the NBA did (which I cant imagine happening, no place with enough football fields for a full sunday schedule)

Also 52 players per team and 32 teams with gigantic coaching staffs.

Like good fucking luck managing all of that.

College football was even worse and a far more amateur operation by comparison. Easiest decision ever.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
So does this mean these "student atheletes" have to actually be students for a full semester?

I bet the schools ask for their scholarship money back LOL.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Curious why its dumb? I mean yeah this thing might not kill any of them, but whole teams getting sick and then getting other teams sick, and having to cancel games? Thats worse then just not playing for a season.

Because we aren't talking about ebola here, exactly. If they're going to cancel seasons because illnesses can sweep through locker rooms then just cancel sports period. The flu runs through teams every year and there's no evidence it is any more dangerous than that for the cohort we are talking about (in fact, it might be less dangerous).

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
So does this mean these "student atheletes" have to actually be students for a full semester?

I bet the schools ask for their scholarship money back LOL.
I hate that they cry because they aren't paid. They get a 4 year scholarship, full room and food for 4 years. That can be over 100k at many schools. They care more about the 1% chance they make it in the pros than getting a free education. Problem is, is that once they bolt after 2 years, thinking they can make it in the pros, they then don't. They piss away the education, with no job or a way to finish their education.

cryptoadam

Banned
Have any athelets died of the CV? This whole thing got started because that NBA guy got it. How many NBA stars have died from CV since March?

Didn't a whole slew of em test positive in Croatia or somewhere after a tennis tournament? Also I know some Baseball players also got it.

There must be an athelete who was in his/her prime that got the virus and passed.

HoodWinked

ya i dunno the most young and fit people in our society being shielded from this is just completely against the science. however due to the hysterics around this if the student athletes were adamantly against playing then i'd be fine with it.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
hqdefault.jpg

Top Bottom