• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bill Burr: Paper Tiger … OR how long until Burr is #cancelled?

MoFuzz

Is this why he called it Paper Tigers?

Like is that his take on the left? They like to sound scary but are actually made of fragile paper?
That's definitely one interpretation that popped into my mind.

Bill is constantly self-deprecating though, so I could see another interpretation that applies to himself as well. Talking tough and making a stance on stage, but for what should be seen as harmless, since they are just words at the end of the day. Watch people be offended by it though.

Last edited:
I need complete details on these comedy special names (sticks and stones, paper tigers etc.) because they make no sense.

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me."

It's a phrase I grew up hearing. It's mostly said by children, after another child has said something mean about them, as a way of showing that they were not harmed by the insult.

Of course, words CAN hurt people. It's just deciding exactly where to draw those lines is very subjective. But that's the meaning behind it.

highrider

Banned
I hope Bill has like a defining moment in his stand up at some point. His material is almost all great which is so rare for comedy, probably the best stand up today along with Chapelle. But he needs to kind of have that moment where he gains more mass appeal by just having the ultimate set.

SaniOYOYOY

Nah, Bill Burr has some worse shit before but he's known to be a provocateur. Him and Chappelle are cancel-proof.
the dude survived after saying hilary was in some part of some Bilderberg meeting on tv

doesnt get any more cancelproof than that lolol.

but real talk, I have a massive respect to the guy, and after stick and stones, I cant waiit

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 762073

Unconfirmed Member
They can't Cancel people without the power of consequenceless of sexual twitter accusation.

Their weapon is strong, but it's limited. Since Bill and Dave are descent people they can get fucked with their cancellation attempt

-Arcadia-

Banned
I’ve never watched Bill Burr before, but after the Chappelle special, I’m down for more actual comedy that pokes fun at the absurdities of today. Count me in.

The 2010s have been the largest untapped comedic well, for so long, and honestly, it’s just kind of nice seeing sanity on the TV again. I missed that.

Eiknarf

I’ve never watched Bill Burr before, but after the Chappelle special, I’m down for more actual comedy that pokes fun at the absurdities of today. Count me in.

The 2010s have been the largest untapped comedic well, for so long, and honestly, it’s just kind of nice seeing sanity on the TV again. I missed that.

Did anyone watch the MTV music awards last week?
The host/comedian actually made fun of ALL OF THEM TO THEIR FACES! Host/comedian Sebastian Maniscalco did a monologue about the silliness of millennials and their newfangled scooters, influencers, safe spaces, triggers, support animals and general wokeness.

D

Deleted member 762073

Unconfirmed Member
Did anyone watch the MTV music awards last week?
The host/comedian actually made fun of ALL OF THEM TO THEIR FACES! Host/comedian Sebastian Maniscalco did a monologue about the silliness of millennials and their newfangled scooters, influencers, safe spaces, triggers, support animals and general wokeness.
I mean the audience is as usual shit, but those jokes were weak. He would have bombed even with a normal audience

highrider

Banned

You’re in for a treat if you’ve never watched him.

dan76

Should be good. All his specials have been great so far. I think Chapelle edges it but Burr is a close second. He's in The Mandalorian as well (even though he doesn't like Star Wars).

You don't have to wait for a new special to do something about that.

Eiknarf

I mean the audience is as usual shit, but those jokes were weak. He would have bombed even with a normal audience
I agree that the jokes were weak and had the potential to be awesome (like if Bill Burr worked with that saMe material), but what’s more important is that the host at least had the balls to go there in front of that liberal SJW woke Crowd. So he deserves points for trying even though they could have been much better

Love ole billy freckle tits, but his last special was pretty meh. Hoping he knocks it out of the park, I think the current climate + becoming a father should give him some good material.

bitbydeath

South Park still packs a punch.
Last season they had Santa offhandedly call twitter users cunts for getting offended over everything.

Papa

Banned
South Park still packs a punch.
Last season they had Santa offhandedly call twitter users cunts for getting offended over everything.

South Park has been pretty consistent in its quality imo. Problem is the world has gotten so difficult to satirise.

Re: Paper Tiger, the TL;DR is that Billy is still based on gender issues but fully cucked on race issues. The shoutout to Colin Kaepernick made me roll my eyes. It’s obvious his wife has browbeaten him into submission over the years.

Eiknarf

9zlc8AF.jpg

s45UcJn.jpg

Shrap

Just finished it; well worth watching. He hasn't pulled any punches so it's still classic Bill with the anger dialed up to 11.

Expect a "critic" meltdown like the one Dave Chappelle received last week.

Drake

Just watched it. Fucking hilarious. I liked it better than Chapelle's special which I also thought was amazing. Lefties are gonna HATE IT. he comes at them right from the beginning.

Nymphae

Banned
I hope Bill has like a defining moment in his stand up at some point.

For me the defining moment of Bill Burr's career was him relentlessly attacking a hostile crowd for over 10 minutes

We cannot, in good conscience, embed Burr's entire rant here, but here is the YouTube link. The man tore into Philadelphia for 11+ minutes of pure vitriol and hatred, viciously attacking a crowd of 10,000.

"I hope you all f****** die and I hope the Eagles never win the Super Bowl," Burr tamely began.

"Let's talk about heart disease, something you're all gonna f****** die of, and I'm gonna laugh at your f****** funerals," Burr continued.

We pretty much can't print any of the rest of it.

Last edited:
Will watch for sure, after that performance he did, where the crowd was booing everyone before him so he just went up and started insulting them and their town so much they began to cheer, i will watch any set of his

TrainedRage

Banned
That was great. Those opening 20 min were the best IMO.
When he was just like, "Ya know what's funny about sexual assault"? And the crowd just lost it.
Great special! Great comedian.

Teletraan1

Banned
This was pretty good. Didn't really like his last special but this was mostly a return to form. Other than the Kaepernick commentary he didn't really base the jokes on anything I don't really agree or at least see where he is coming from with the premise. That bit was pretty short and otherwise the special had me laughing.

Top Bottom