• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bill Cosby Conviction Overturned

BeardGawd

Banned
It's not a good look for the forum when you have people cheering this on and literally jumping to defend his actions. Only a few posters have acknowledged that's he's still guilty of the crime but in this instance he goes free on a technicality. Which side do you fall on?
Get off your high horse. None of us were there. You believe what you want and others can do the same.

YCoCg

“Won’t someone think of era’s feeling”

So you attached your lib persona to this, and now you are crying, and pretending “people” (not one poster) are saying something they aren’t? Gotcha

Well, back in the real world…
Oh come off it, when you're defending a rapist and his actions to spite some woke people then that's fucked up no matter how you slice it. You can be happy the law was upheld (like some posters have said) but don't be trying to defend a rapists actions. And please oagboghi, I don't want to associate you defending a rapist because of politics, even you know that's stupid.

199736772_1402021990179010_6924901762120546028_n.jpg
Damn this one was funny. I actually laughed out loud

oagboghi2

Oh come off it, when you're defending a rapist and his actions to spite some woke people then that's fucked up no matter how you slice it. You can be happy the law was upheld (like some posters have said) but don't be trying to defend a rapists actions. And please oagboghi, I don't want to associate you defending a rapist because of politics, even you know that's stupid.
Jesus Christ.

No one is celebrating this to spite "woke people". No one is celebrating rape. What is wrong with you?

Pointing out that an injustice is corrected, or that mob justice political campaigns(#MeToo) might lead to overzealous DA's fucking up prosecution cases is not defending a rapist. You made up this fantasy in your head when it's been explained multiple times by multiple posters why this was overturned, and why it was right to be overturned.

YCoCg

Jesus Christ.

No one is celebrating this to spite "woke people". No one is celebrating rape. What is wrong with you?

Pointing out that an injustice is corrected, or that mob justice political campaigns(#MeToo) might lead to overzealous DA's fucking up prosecution cases is not defending a rapist. You made up this fantasy in your head when it's been explained multiple times by multiple posters why this was overturned, and why it was right to be overturned.
Yeah I see you're ignoring the ones batting for Crosby being innocent.

The point is that you don't know if he was a rapist, yet you act like it's an objective truth because you crave the social points too much.
Such as.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Cosby: "saywhatifyoupromisenottoprosecuteme"
DA: "What?"
Cosby: "Check and mate."

He was convicted, and now its over-turned... because someone else not involved in the case made a pinky-promise that "Nah man, we won't prosecute you" and now someone else who is involved with the case has to keep that promise after he's convicted? Fucking wild. Am I missing something specific here that's not getting covered? 'cause this feels like bullshit to me. Sounds like I need to get future-prospect DAs on tape making promises to me now so I've got a get-out-of-jail-free-card for use in the future. Shit, I might let them convict me and then play that card just to rub it in as I walk free.

Cosby: "saywhatifyoupromisenottoprosecuteme"
DA: "What?"
Cosby: "Check and mate."

He was convicted, and now its over-turned... because someone else not involved in the case made a pinky-promise that "Nah man, we won't prosecute you" and now someone else who is involved with the case has to keep that promise after he's convicted? Fucking wild. Am I missing something specific here that's not getting covered? 'cause this feels like bullshit to me. Sounds like I need to get future-prospect DAs on tape making promises to me now so I've got a get-out-of-jail-free-card for use in the future. Shit, I might let them convict me and then play that card just to rub it in as I walk free.
Here, let me explain:
The previous prosecutor didn't have a case and knew it. So, in his mind, he felt the best course for the woman was to seek a civil case victory. Problem there is so long as a potential criminal case is around, Cosby could still use the 5th. So, to neutralize that, the prosecutor publicly declared, and fully intended to keep to, never seeking criminal prosecution of the matter, so Cosby could be forced to testify in the civil case.
Along comes the new prosecutor and they don't keep to the promise, and further use that testimony in the criminal case. The appeals court just smacked that down, and in my mind rightly so. You can't game the rules to violate someone's 5th amendment protections.

So the important aspects are here 1. that the previous applicable prosecutor make the public declaration to not proceed with a case with the intent to strip someone of 5th amendment protection in a civil case.
2. the new applicable prosecutor broke that promise. So both prosecutors were, at their respective times, in control of the case in question. This wasn't a matter of some random prosecutor giving the promise, and it was known exactly what they were doing.
3. the 5th protected testimony ended up contaminating the criminal case and the court decided hopelessly so, so no retrial, just release.

There was also the issue of using testimony the court felt was inadmissible, but the real thing that kill it was this attempted bypass of the 5th amendment protections.

Konnor

He literally admitted to drugging women with quaaludes that he wanted to have sex with. Have we reached such a new low that revising history for an admitted rapist is just a thing now?

Since people seem to insert their modern views about quaaludes and misconstruing what he said again and again let me bold this so everyone can read it. Sorry but it needs to be done.

Quaaludes were considered the hip drug back then like cocaine is now. Cosby only admitted that he did drugs WITH them.

This was intentionally misinterpreted by the media hacks to fool people like you, Cosby never admitted to any wrong doing. It's like you admitting you bought cocaine to do it with a chick you want to fuck. Having said that the sheer volume of women that have spoken against him makes me think he probably was a rapist, but this is a personal opinion I'd never demand from other people to agree with or present it as fact especially since the justice system seems to think otherwise.

Last edited:
People are cheering on the fact that the court system works. If you are screwed in court, which he was, you can still find justice.

How did you miss that?
Jesus Christ.

Breh, literally 3 posts above Y YCoCg 's original post, a guy was posting this:

Can’t rape the willing in this case. Did anyone read the testimony of most of these Women? A lot and I mean A LOT of them worked for “Agencies” and knew what they were getting into. Regretting your hoedom is not a reason to put a dude with some really weird fetishes in jail.
Well whoredom is what I meant. I didn’t say it didn’t happen, I’m saying as someone that read these testimonies that it really comes off as regret on their part and not actual “rape” it happened, but they knew he was down to party

Keep in mind, he's calling 58 accusers whores. Including 6 underage girls. Six underage girls are just whores regretting their hoedom.

Last edited:

Konnor

Keep in mind, he's calling 58 accusers whores. Including 6 underage girls. Six underage girls are just whores regretting their hoedom.

He was specifically calling the women who worked for these agencies whores which although rude doesn't seem inaccurate because they were pretty much call girls from what I understand (someone correct me if I'm wrong). You're intentionally misinterpreting what he said.

Last edited:
He was specifically calling the women who worked for these agencies whores which although rude doesn't seem inaccurate because they were pretty much call girls from what I understand (someone correct me if I'm wrong). You're intentionally misinterpreting what he said.

He said this is a case of not being able to rape the willing. As in, Cosby isn't a rapist because his alleged victims were all willing. He said he's not denying that it happened - not saying they're liars. If even one woman wasn't willing, he'd be a rapist. So saying he's not a rapist means every single one was willing. Including the children. He said "Regretting your hoedom is not a reason to put a dude with some really weird fetishes in jail" like the entire case against him is just based on hoes regretting it.

I quoted him so he can come and elaborate on whether he wants to say that (A) the children are whores, (B) the children are liars, (C) Cosby is actually a rapist.

I have no idea what this "agency" shit is, but his main accuser that this case was based on worked for a university so uh, what.

EDIT: I've tried looking back through it. I think both you and him are conflating modeling agencies with prostitution. So uh, perhaps yet another example of what Y YCoCg was saying.

Last edited:

Konnor

He said this is a case of not being able to rape the willing. As in, Cosby isn't a rapist because his alleged victims were all willing. He said he's not denying that it happened - not saying they're liars. If even one woman wasn't willing, he'd be a rapist. So saying he's not a rapist means every single one was willing. Including the children.

I quoted him so he can come and elaborate on whether he wants to say that (A) the children are whores, (B) the children are liars, (C) Cosby is actually a rapist.

I have no idea what this "agency" shit is, but his main accuser that this case was based on worked for a university so uh, what.

He was punching holes at the claim that there were plenty of women who opened up against him but when he was saying that they were just "regretting their hoedom" he was clearly talking about the testimonies of these specific call girls that are many according to him.

I have no idea how accurate that is though since the media would never talk about that and I'm certainly not willing to go through all these testimonies. Blond Blond could you elaborate?

He was punching holes at the claim that there were plenty of women who opened up against him but when he was saying that they were just "regretting their hoedom" he was clearly talking about the testimonies of these specific call girls that are many according to him.

I have no idea how accurate that is though since the media would never talk about that and I'm certainly not willing to go through all these testimonies. Blond Blond could you elaborate?

Fair enough if you don't wish to claim it yourself.

But you can see that Y YCoCg was justified in claiming that people were going to bat for Cosby, and O oagboghi2 missed this when he said that people were just glad that the system worked in protecting the 5th amendment and not defending Cosby.

BeardGawd

Banned
Since people seem to insert their modern views about quaaludes and misconstruing what he said again and again let me bold this so everyone can read it. Sorry but it needs to be done.

Quaaludes were considered the hip drug back then like cocaine is now. Cosby only admitted that he did drugs WITH them.

This was intentionally misinterpreted by the media hacks to fool people like you, Cosby never admitted to any wrong doing. It's like you admitting you bought cocaine to do it with a chick you want to fuck. Having said that the sheer volume of women that have spoken against him makes me think he probably was a rapist, but this is a personal opinion I'd never demand from other people to agree with or present it as fact especially since the justice system seems to think otherwise.
Just like weed, alcohol, ecstasy, etc... it was a party drug. It's crazy how the media can reframe a narrative and people swallow it as the truth hook line and sinker without an ounce of critical thought. Cosby may be guilty in some of these instances but to say he admitted it is a lie spread far and wide by the media.

Last edited:

Blond

Banned

Keep in mind, he's calling 58 accusers whores. Including 6 underage girls. Six underage girls are just whores regretting their hoedom
Because I read what they said and it sounded like bullshit. Now, if we’re talking the underage accusers the only two that I remember are:

The accuser who was at the playboy mansion, for some reason she’s suing Cosby but not playboy 40 years after the fact. If a 15 year old was an the infamous sex parties at the mansion why singled out Cosby? Why did this accusation not take down Playboy single handedly? Why is this major detail overlooked that a fifteen year old somehow got access to the Playboy mansion and was passed around and Cosby the ONLY one she remembered? Not you know, Hugh Hefner, the man who singlehandedly destroyed the image of Women in western society but you go after Bill because he was the one to remember but not the man who pimped you out?

The second accuser who was fifteen years old, somehow able to travel around the world to see Bill Cosby by herself without parents in foreign countries and no one raised an eyebrow?

Last edited:
Because I read what they said and it sounded like bullshit. Now, if we’re talking the underage accusers the only two that I remember are:

The accuser who was at the playboy mansion, for some reason she’s suing Cosby but not playboy 40 years after the fact. If a 15 year old was an the infamous sex parties at the mansion why singled out Cosby? Why did this accusation not take down Playboy single handedly? Why is this major detail overlooked that a fifteen year old somehow got access to the Playboy mansion and was passed around and Cosby the ONLY one she remembered? Not you know, Hugh Hefner, the man who singlehandedly destroyed the image of Women in western society but you go after Bill because he was the one to remember but not the man who pimped you out?

The second accuser who was fifteen years old, somehow able to travel around the world to see Bill Cosby by herself without parents in foreign countries and no one raised an eyebrow?

1a) She was at the Playboy mansion because Cosby took her there, after plying her with alcohol when he learned she was 15 and her friend was 16. He originally met them in a public park.

1b) She never alleged she was passed around - only that Cosby assaulted her in his suite at the Playboy mansion.

1c) You may be confusing her for Goins, who was 18 and at a Playboy mansion party. She didn't allege she was passed around but she DID file a lawsuit against both Cosby AND Hefner before his death. So she did do exactly as you ask - do you believe her then?

2) The 2nd 15 year old was in the modelling business. A modeling career tops out in at 40 if you're lucky and many models are underage while flying around the country for runway shows or shoots. That's quite common. She said her parents thought it was a "father-like mentorship". He was known as "America's dad" at the time. I agree her family was negligent at best.

3) There was also 4 17 year olds.

So to be clear, are you saying these underage girls consented and then regretted it (whoredom as you call it)? Or what?

Also, could you name which women worked in prostitution if that's your claim? When you said "A lot and I mean A LOT of them worked for “Agencies” and knew what they were getting into", so if it's a lot of them, it should be easy to name a few who were in prostitution. Or is that not what you are claiming?

Last edited:

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
But the Pennsylvania Supreme Court said Wednesday that District Attorney Kevin Steele, who made the decision to arrest Cosby, was obligated to stand by his predecessor’s promise not to charge Cosby, though there was no evidence that agreement was ever put in writing.

WTF? They promised to not do their job and this is legally binding?

ryan13ts

Going with the "Buuuuut technically..." argument, I see? Sorry, but common fucking sense should tell you it's very doubtful he's the innocent victim you're angling him to be. He clearly expressed that he used quaaludes for women he wanted to have sex with, which is already shady given the type of drug quaaludes are and the fact they've been used for sexual assault before (Just look at Roman Polanski, unless you're going to tell me he's innocent too). They're also nowhere in same category as cocaine like you're portraying; One is a stimulant, which makes sense for sex, while the other is a depressant that can possibly render someone unconscious, which seems like quite an odd drug to use for consensual casual sexual encounters. I have an older cousin that used them regularly back in the day, and he's told me numerous times he thought they sucked for sex and were more for chilling and relaxing, similar to what people use benzo's and opioids for now, though granted that's just his experience with them.

Considering everything surrounding him, you'll forgive me if I'm calling complete bullshit on the "It was just for fun! They all knew!" angle. Now to be fair, I don't doubt maybe SOME women might have known and consented, since I'm not unreasonable enough to think he drugged and raped every women he was with. However, far too many women, for far too long (some making these claims LONG before there was an inkling of a problem and back when his reputation was sterling) have made some pretty compelling testimony regarding Cosby and being assaulted, so I highly doubt ALL of these women are just making it all up. He was almost certainly where he deserved to be.

Maybe you should consider this age old saying; "If it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck... It's probably a fucking rapist".

Last edited:

highrider

Banned
These things happen when prosecutors get caught up in the cultural zeitgeist. Imagining the tax payer money spent already on this conviction. Way to go dumb fucks 👍

Also if you have any kind of brains you know that these very technicalities are important and a conviction without observation of due process is meaningless. The crime itself is irrelevant.

Last edited:

Moneal

WTF? They promised to not do their job and this is legally binding?
No, they were trying to do their job and get any form of justice for the women they could. They had no case in a criminal trial. They decided that the best justice possible for the women was a civil case and to win that they needed Cosby to talk. The only way he was gonna talk was to remove criminal trial as a possibility. So they offered publicly as an officer of the state to not prosecute to remove the 5th as a tactic for Cosby in the civil case and force him to answer questions. It was the right move.

Konnor

Going with the "Buuuuut technically..." argument, I see? Sorry, but common fucking sense should tell you it's very doubtful he's the innocent victim you're angling him to be. He clearly expressed that he used quaaludes for women he wanted to have sex with, which is already shady given the type of drug quaaludes are and the fact they've been used for sexual assault before (Just look at Roman Polanski, unless you're going to tell me he's innocent too). They're also nowhere in same category as cocaine like you're portraying; One is a stimulant, which makes sense for sex, while the other is a depressant that can possibly render someone unconscious, which seems like quite an odd drug to use for consensual casual sexual encounters. I have an older cousin that used them regularly back in the day, and he's told me numerous times he thought they sucked for sex and were more for chilling and relaxing, similar to what people use benzo's and opioids for now, though granted that's just his experience with them.

Considering everything surrounding him, you'll forgive me if I'm calling complete bullshit on the "It was just for fun! They all knew!" angle. Now to be fair, I don't doubt maybe SOME women might have known and consented, since I'm not unreasonable enough to think he drugged and raped every women he was with. However, far too many women, for far too long (some making these claims LONG before there was an inkling of a problem and back when his reputation was sterling) have made some pretty compelling testimony regarding Cosby and being assaulted, so I highly doubt ALL of these women are just making it all up. He was almost certainly where he deserved to be.

Maybe you should consider this age old saying; "If it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck... It's probably a fucking rapist".

Are... are you dumb or something? You seem to have serious comprehension problems, this isn't about a technicality, admitting you had recreational drugs with someone you wanted to have sex with is not admission of rape. Again, quaaludes were considered "fun" drugs back then and a crapload of people in the entertainment business were taking them to party which is what Cosby was saying he did. Can you comprehend this simple fact for starters without inserting your modern standards about quaaludes in the discussion?

Last edited:

Kev Kev

so what does bill cosby do when he gets home tonite? watch a movie? eat some ice cream? do some drugs? hire a prostitute?

cant imagine what hes feeling right now suddenly being released from jail after the prospect of thinking he was gong to die in there. dude must be walking on clouds today

ryan13ts

Are... are you dumb or something? You seem to have serious comprehension problems, this isn't about a technicality, admitting you had recreational drugs with someone you wanted to have sex with is not admission of rape. Again, quaaludes were considered "fun" drugs back then and a crapload of people in the entertainment business were taking them to party which is what Cosby was saying he did. Can you comprehend this simple fact for starters without inserting your modern standards about quaaludes in the discussion?
My comprehension is great, I comprehend that you're bending over backwards to minimize what he did and reason why it's not reaaaaaallly rape despite evidence and common sense saying otherwise. Excuses like "Oh everyone gave quaaludes to people they wanted to fuck back then" are weak and as irrelevant as they come, since you know the real offenses are the women that didn't consent or know what he gave them and/or weren't aware when he took advantage of them. I could entertain that maybe he was innocent if was just 1 or 2 people that had accused him, but over almost 60? I'd think that when over 50+ unconnected women accuse 1 person of sexual assault independently over the course of over 40 fucking years, that common sense would dictate that maaaaybe, just maybe, there's some truth to even just 1 of them, much less more than that. But what do I know, that's just common fucking sense after all.

So reason away with whatever excuse you like, call me dumb or whatever insult you like, but anyway you like to play it, at the end of the day you're making excuses for a rapist. Good luck with that.

Last edited:

Konnor

My comprehension is great, I comprehend that you're bending over backwards to minimize what he did and reason why it's not reaaaaaallly rape despite evidence and common sense saying otherwise. Excuses like "Oh everyone gave quaaludes to people they wanted to fuck back then" are weak and as irrelevant as they come, since you know the real offenses are the women that didn't consent or know what he gave them and/or weren't aware when he took advantage of them. I could entertain that maybe he was innocent if was just 1 or 2 people that had accused him, but over almost 60? I'd think that when over 50+ unconnected women accuse 1 person of sexual assault independently over the course of over 40 fucking years, that common sense would dictate that maaaaybe, just maybe, there's some truth to even just 1 of them, much less more than that. But what do I know, that's just common fucking sense after all.

So reason away with whatever excuse you like, call me dumb or whatever insult you like, but anyway you like to play it, at the end of the day you're making excuses for a rapist. Good luck with that.

I'm surprised you even know what common sense is, good job man. Your rant as per usual is irrelevant to the subject, my point was that Cosby never admitted that he drugged women, he admitted that he did quaaludes with them because that was the party drug at the time. This isn't mental gymnastics or bending over backwards or anything like that, this is literally what Cosby said, he never intended to confess and never did.

Do. you. understand?

Last edited:
so what does bill cosby do when he gets home tonite? watch a movie? eat some ice cream? do some drugs? hire a prostitute?

cant imagine what hes feeling right now suddenly being released from jail after the prospect of thinking he was gong to die in there. dude must be walking on clouds today

He's supposedly blind and senile anyway, so I don't think he's thinking much.

Is it wrong that I don’t care too much about this? In the grand scheme of things, an extremely elderly man getting to spend his last days outside prison doesn’t get me too worked up.

That whole thing with Cosby bothered me from the beginning. Not that he wasn’t a creep and didn’t do most or all of things he’s accused of. I have no idea. The sheer volume of accusations makes it hard to doubt. But I have a difficult time with sending anyone to prison based solely on the idea that a bunch of people said a guy did something 30 years ago or whatever.

It’s not like I have a strong disagreement with him going to jail. I get that it’s complicated as to why these woman didn’t or couldn’t come forward around the time this was all happening. But it sucks to have to try and piece together what are already difficult to prove cases decades after the fact. Date rape stuff is really hard to prove like a week later unless you can get a drug test to prove what happened. So I really feel for the women involved here. It’s just tough to be like “yeah, put that guy in jail because enough people have accused him of something so it must be true”, which is essentially what I feel like happened.

I could be misinformed about the particulars of the case though.

Edit: so I decided to go and listen to the LA Times Chasing Cosby podcast to see if I can have an informed opinion about this.

Last edited:

CloudNull

Banned
Anyone that openly admits to putting stuff in someones drinks to sleep with them without their knowledge is scum.

Dude is a rapist and sick as fuck. The DA fucked up and the overturn is the right call. It is not fair but the current system is one of the best in the worlds. There is tons of places for improvement and I wish he could be tried again for his crimes. Kind of shit we can’t but I understand the reasoning.

Anyone that openly admits to putting stuff in someones drinks to sleep with them without their knowledge is scum.

Dude is a rapist and sick as fuck. The DA fucked up and the overturn is the right call. It is not fair but the current system is one of the best in the worlds. There is tons of places for improvement and I wish he could be tried again for his crimes. Kind of shit we can’t but I understand the reasoning.

See these are things I don’t know because I haven’t really looked into it. So he admitted to slipping these women drugs without their knowledge? Seems like he admitted to the crimes then. I don’t understand why they even had a trial at that point if he confessed.

Top Bottom