• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bill Gates: "If MSFT CEO Nadella wants 2 spin off @XBox biz I'm absolutely for it."

Darksol

xbox.jpg

Source: Liz Claman's Twitter

More Context:

"Gates, the founder and former CEO of Microsoft, said he’s been helping new CEO Satya Nadella transition into his new leadership role and that he would support Nadella if the new CEO proposed a spinoff of one of Microsoft’s units. But Gates said he didn’t foresee either Bing, the company’s search engine division, or Xbox, its gaming division, as potential stand-alone companies because they are part of Microsoft’s long-term strategy."

Zapages

interesting… So who would get it? Amazon's Xbox? I don't know I am guessing.

I think it would be better to make Xbox still part of Microsoft, but make it semi-independent.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I'm all for it. If it was spun off before we might not have got such a gimped machine.

Meier

I think it would be better to make Xbox still part of Microsoft, but make it semi-independent.

Spinning off doesn't necessarily mean selling to another group. It really means the exact opposite of that -- bringing it out from the overall umbrella of MS and making it its own company.

Spin-off doesn't imply or necessitate another company acquiring it.
If it does occur it would probably be more as your latter comment, spinning out the division as an independent company.

Jomjom

Banned
If guys, if. That's a big if since Nadella just recently said he wouldn't spin it off.

Don't see how this is breaking. What's he supposed to say? "Screw that Nadella guy! I still call the shots here. I wouldn't support any decisions he wants to make!"

Well it´s a rational consideration for any MS shareholder because of the low profits compared to their other divisions but sad for us. Having him say it will even put more shareholders on that path.

Hyperton. He and Ballmer have always been seen as the biggest force behind the xbox division, and the biggest impediment to spinning off or selling it. If he's changing his stance, it pretty much leaves Nadella free to do whatever he wants.

So he's saying that if nadella wants to spin it off he supports him. Nadella said he did support it though so I don't think this means anything.

Does spin off mean make something new using what they leanred from Xbox or throw it away like a frizbee with $$$$$$$$$$ on the other side to catch it?

I don't think we need to read too much into this. Satya is the CEO of the organization now, and Bill Gates helped select him. With hiring him Bill Gates has agreed to his vision of the company and his ability to bet on the right "horses", if Satya says he's not in favor of spinning off the xbox division, then I believe Bill Gates would agree with him aswell.

I don't believe Satya is wanting to spin off the xbox division. But then again this is just my opinion.

Minions

I'm so confused. Does Microsoft love or hate Xbox? Would they decide already.

Microsoft loves it; Investors hate it. I can see the confusion. Investors don't like things that don't profit. In the grand scheme of things even when Xbox profits its so small in comparison to all the other Microsoft offerings that some think they should just skip it entirely and focus on the business side.

Selling isn't the same as spinning-off. In the latter, they'd still control it and reap the profits (and suffer the losses), but they'd be given more autonomy within the company.

But the real point here is that Bill Gates isn't going to publicly say "Man, fuck what Nadella wants, I have my own ideas."

Top Bottom