• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BIll Maher goes non-PC on obesity in "The Fudge Report"

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Bill Maher didn't get the message. First coming out against BDS now this.

Hasn't he learned that obesity can only be solved by the government and people have no personal responsibility.

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014
Maher is one of the few beacons left of the sane left. He and I have very similar stances on issues.

Nymphae

Gold Member
Jun 3, 2013
Canada
Every now and then Bill talks some sense. Great point about the "fat man in the circus" from 100 years ago, the women they have on some magazine covers today are twice the size of that guy.

Miku Miku

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2018
He's not wrong on that, but he's really only talking about 10% of the solution. We didn't simply shame people into smoking less and wearing seatbelts. We also passed multiple aggressive laws that heavily taxed cigarettes, launched multiple education campaigns on TV and in school, banned most advertisement for cigarettes, and made it illegal to not wear a seat belt in addition to making most cars aggressively alarm if you don't put it on, and also banned smoking in almost all buildings while putting on mandatory warning labels and increasingly steep taxes.

Personal responsibility has a place. But when a trend like this is large enough that it affects millions and millions of people in a dramatic way, changing how society looks in a matter of decades, then there are also much broader trends occurring. People can also look at corn subsidy, advertisements aimed at kids, and more. It's a whole host of factors that could be tackled aggressively beyond just fat shaming. But make no mistake, that is part of it. Smokers literally are demonized in educational advertisements showing people talk with a robotic voicebox, talking about their life of regret. It was done to combat the "cool" image of smoking. Fat people don't so much have that "cool" image, but there should be a national conversation that everyone is always aware of that points out how incredibly unhealthy it is. It can even be tied into advertisements pointing out that they are a financial burden on the health care system and are not doing their part. Unhealthy food creators can also be demonized. If you can't figure out how to make a product without a ton of corn syrup and empty calories, then maybe some negative advertising can focus on businesses too. Supersize me, an indie documentary film, literally caused McDonald's to abandon the whole supersize option. If negative ads were government funded, I think a lot of businesses wound change pretty quickly.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
He's not wrong on that, but he's really only talking about 10% of the solution. We didn't simply shame people into smoking less and wearing seatbelts. We also passed multiple aggressive laws that heavily taxed cigarettes, launched multiple education campaigns on TV and in school, banned most advertisement for cigarettes, and made it illegal to not wear a seat belt in addition to making most cars aggressively alarm if you don't put it on, and also banned smoking in almost all buildings while putting on mandatory warning labels and increasingly steep taxes.

Personal responsibility has a place. But when a trend like this is large enough that it affects millions and millions of people in a dramatic way, changing how society looks in a matter of decades, then there are also much broader trends occurring. People can also look at corn subsidy, advertisements aimed at kids, and more. It's a whole host of factors that could be tackled aggressively beyond just fat shaming. But make no mistake, that is part of it. Smokers literally are demonized in educational advertisements showing people talk with a robotic voicebox, talking about their life of regret. It was done to combat the "cool" image of smoking. Fat people don't so much have that "cool" image, but there should be a national conversation that everyone is always aware of that points out how incredibly unhealthy it is. It can even be tied into advertisements pointing out that they are a financial burden on the health care system and are not doing their part. Unhealthy food creators can also be demonized. If you can't figure out how to make a product without a ton of corn syrup and empty calories, then maybe some negative advertising can focus on businesses too. Supersize me, an indie documentary film, literally caused McDonald's to abandon the whole supersize option. If negative ads were government funded, I think a lot of businesses wound change pretty quickly.
everything you say is true, but the obese would also consider that fat shaming. Any steps taken to say being fat is not good is considered fat shaming.

thats the problem we are at. The conversation can't even get started because somehow fat people have gotten it in their head they are a protected class and being against obesity is equal to being a racist.

If an add played on TV showing someone overweight and then they are in the hospital and listed all the diseases obesity causes, you bet your tight little ass that the fat patrol would be up in arms on twitter crying about how they are being bullied and that just because someone is fat you can't know if they are healthy.

Kingwingin

Gold Member
Aug 12, 2014
I heard somewhere that obese people aren't that big of a burden on health care since they die younger and faster. It's the elderly that really drag out death that cost a lot

Teletraan1

May 17, 2012
Canada
This whole body positivity shit is a total fraud. Instead of pushing these morbidly obese people they should just push normal thicc girls. Every time you see a girl in a piece of media that have a decent amount of thickness 95% of the comments are from thirsty dudes wanting a piece of that. Seems like most people are pretty positive towards normal healthy people. The dial doesn't have to be rail thin or landwhale. Stop somewhere in between.

DragoonKain

Nov 13, 2013
Paraphrasing here, but Bill said something like "change always starts with some kind of shaming" I agree with his overall point, but don't agree with that line. Any type of a movement or change starts with education, not shaming. Too many people are uneducated in this country about shit. People didn't quit smoking because they were shamed, people quit smoking because they were educated on cancer rates, and had first-hand education because everyone on this planet knows or has known someone in their lives who was always coughing up a long, or worse, being a smoker.

I think there's too much shaming in this country, but not enough education on health and nutrition. Shit, I didn't even look at a nutrition label until I was like in my early 20's. Not once, didn't care, didn't think it mattered. I bet many Americans don't either. I bet many Americans don't know the affects of how specific foods impact the body.

We can get people healthier without shaming them, if anything sometimes shaming has the opposite effect and people double down because they don't like being told what to do or how to live.

The problem is, enjoying a meal is one of life's pleasures and we're learning more and more about nutrition everyday, where as smoking and seatbelts(two examples he used) we already know all there is to know about it.

Last edited:

ViceUniverse

Mar 12, 2019
No lies detected.

I don't believe in shaming because it doesn't work, we're only getting fatter.

There's a lot riding against us in having a good BMI but what can you do, these are times of extreme luxury. It's harder, but also better (except for your general health, but you're not hungry).

Last edited:

Riven326

Mar 25, 2019
United States
No lies detected.

I don't believe in shaming because it doesn't work, we're only getting fatter.

There's a lot riding against us in having a good BMI but what can you do, these are times of extreme luxury. It's harder, but also better (except for your general health, but you're not hungry).
It's the sugar that's killing us. Corn syrup and stuff. That shit is more addictive than cocaine, and most of the country's an addict.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Crushed by Thanos
Dec 7, 2008
if you are guzzling corn syrup soda please god switch to cane sugar soda and coffee

Reactions: mayl3

Kreios

Oct 5, 2010
U.S.
Sugar is a big part, for sure. Another reason is that it’s literally a growing problem. People who are overweight are much more likely to have overweight kids. Whether it’s from genetics, or just passing down their poor food and life choices.

Reactions: hariseldon

Riven326

Mar 25, 2019
United States
if you are guzzling corn syrup soda please god switch to cane sugar soda and coffee
Black coffee is the way to go. You get used to it after a few days. It's the other sweets and shit that make it difficult. Addiction is hard no matter what. But like I said, sugar is more addictive than cocaine, studies show. If I were an authoritarian concerned about public safety and was willing to forego popularity, I would ban it.

Reactions: Tesseract

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
It's the sugar that's killing us. Corn syrup and stuff. That shit is more addictive than cocaine, and most of the country's an addict.
It feeds similar receptors that opiates do.

Ultra high amount of sodium contribute to obesity as well (in processed and fast foods), since you retain more water and pack of fat easier when unable to flush your body from it.

Empty processed carbs as well.

MrRogers

Feb 25, 2018
Shaming works, case in point basically the entire west 40 plus years ago. Also case in point, present day Eastern Europe, ive lost count of the amount of times EE friends grandparents, parents and even close friends went to town on the shaming right to their faces if they gained even 10 pounds. Result (ok, ok EEs non-poisoned food supply is also a huge part) a land of fit lasses, and lean gentlemen, with nary a lardass to be found.

triplestation

Dec 23, 2008
NYC
haha

that was a fun bit and imo a great way to talk about health issues

the problem i think is that some people, many actually, sadly don't have the capacity for resolve

they just won't see the humor or encouragement in this, and that's it

so although i found bill's bit could be encouraging to some, others will need an alternative means of encouragement (this is overall the most important thing)

there's not a lot of humor about obesity itself, some people are just way off the radar

delicious things that are terrible for you are dirt cheap

Last edited:

Greedings

May 23, 2016
I heard somewhere that obese people aren't that big of a burden on health care since they die younger and faster. It's the elderly that really drag out death that cost a lot
You heard wrong. Obesity and related diseases - T2D, heart disease, cancer, fatty liver disease, depression among others - cost health care and tax payers billions.

I work on this stuff and seeing the numbers it costs is astounding.
Confounding the issue, old people are more likely to be obese and have all the diseases that come along with it.

It’s an uphill struggle, but it seems to be working in the west. The number of obese people isn’t growing as much as it was. But in the middle and far east it is. Especially the Middle East. They’re set to overtake the west in the obesity crisis very soon.

I’m not sure how I feel about taxes and punishments. I don’t like restrictions on people’s freedom, and if you look at alcohol taxes don’t really work. Something does need to be done, but getting people to take charge of themselves is hard, especially as we live in an obesogenic environment.

I also have trouble with weight despite working on obesity, and there are undeniably genetic factors which contribute to weight gain and associated diseases, but genetics aren’t the be all end all.

Maybe a bit rambley but people with obesity do die earlier...just not that much. They also take tons of treatments and require surgery in extreme cases.

finowns

May 10, 2009
Holy crap at the twitter comments: Good food is expensive, bad food is cheap! WTF have these people been to McDonald's recently it's like 25 bucks to feed three people, also they recently got rid of their two apple pies for a dollar so f you McDonald's. And then they bring up the sugar lobby... these people are 10 year olds with excuses. DRINK SOME WATER YOU FREAKS!! Or try diet-Cran grape juice it's delicious.

Last edited:

gunslikewhoa

Mar 3, 2014
Well, good luck with that as the government is completely fucking clueless when it comes to diet and nutrition. They've been giving horrible advice for decades and are a major reason we got here in the first place.

No thanks.

TheExorzist

Jun 17, 2006
Hot take incoming: Obesity is just a side effect of a much bigger issue - and that is a massive shift of our social structure due to social media, lack of true social connections and the likes.

Obesity will not go away until we solve the social issues. For that you have to understand what is happening in your body when you eat delicious food. As dopamine is released it makes you feel good - and if you boil it down that is what people are craving for. To feel good. Noone eats this much because he or she is hungry. Taking people their food away or making it insanely expensive would just leave you with hordes of seriously depressed people - and it's not like we don't have enough of those already.

People always seem to forget about this fact. It's what I constantly caution people when I talk to them about my diet. Anyone can do it. They will not be hungy. They won't even loose much weight if they eat enough. What they will get however is severly depressed very soon if they're not really happy with their life.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: hariseldon

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
Holy crap at the twitter comments: Good food is expensive, bad food is cheap! WTF have these people been to McDonald's recently it's like 25 bucks to feed three people, also they recently got rid of their two apple pies for a dollar so f you McDonald's. And then they bring up the sugar lobby... these people are 10 year olds with excuses. DRINK SOME WATER YOU FREAKS!! Or try diet-Cran grape juice it's delicious.
It’s more people making excuses who lack self control.

Reactions: cryptoadam

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Apr 9, 2009
Tax sugar nationwide.

Don't give me the nanny state bullshit either, thanks.

Riven326

Mar 25, 2019
United States
It’s more people making excuses who lack self control.
Would you say that about a coke addict? Studies show that sugar addiction is much greater than even the most addictive street drugs.

Most people in the country are addicted to sugar or high fructose corn syrup. Mostly the latter since it's in just about everything we consume. Don't dismiss the powerful effect addiction is having on the population.

Reactions: ConnorDuffy1977

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
Would you say that about a coke addict? Studies show that sugar addiction is much greater than even the most addictive street drugs.

Most people in the country are addicted to sugar or high fructose corn syrup. Mostly the latter since it's in just about everything we consume. Don't dismiss the powerful effect addiction is having on the population.
I agree with you.

Reactions: Riven326

ViceUniverse

Mar 12, 2019
Yeah, eat tons of veggies especially throughout the day. You can do Greek yogurt with frozen fruit and some splenda or something if you have sugar cravings at night.

You can drink alcoholic seltzer for 100 calories.

That's pretty cheap and easy to do (minus the beer). But you don't enjoy life as much because you gotta cut back, but it's good on the budget.

Learn to cook Chicken! Relax on the salt.

Last edited:
Reactions: cryptoadam

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018

And this is in a developing non free country. If a dictator can't even call out his fatties what chance is there in a democracy. I bet if Xi called everyone in China fat you would finally get revolts and Taiwan and HK would probably become free countries LOL.

Losing and keeping weight off is not easy, and food does taste really good. But you make a choice be a fatty and deal with all that comes with it, or put in a tiny bit of effort and stay away from crap foods, eat less, and move a bit.

Slap a piece of chicken in the over for 30 mins with some vegies and boil some rice.

But for many its just more fun to get a double big mac with a 2 l coke and side of nuggets with fries and 2 apple pies and a Mc Flurry, for breakfast! but hey sugar and government and corporations.