• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bill Murray’s performance in Ghostbusters: Afterlife said to be just “one of the joys” of the film

ManaByte

Gold Member

When asked about the daunting task of bringing back such iconic characters and having the likes of Bill Murray, Ernie Hudson, and Dan Aykroyd on set, Jason Reitman said:

“I don’t think I was prepared for what it would feel like when the original guys walk on set in their flight suits. It’s like seeing superheroes. And it feels very special. It’s also very intimidating. And it is an immediate reminder of what we were so presumptuous to attempt, which is to make another film that is a chapter in this larger story. It’s one thing to direct all new characters, because at that point, you can almost say that you’re making fan fiction. When Bill (Murray) and Ernie (Hudson) and Dan (Aykroyd) walk in wearing flight suits, it becomes very real, very quickly. This is a Ghostbusters movie.

Producer Ivan Reitman added:

“When certain people started showing up from the world of the ’84 film, it was startling for me. Just to see everybody older but still be there. Seeing them step on set in character was really thrilling. And to hear Venkman speak as Venkman, in a way that we haven’t heard in such a long time, that’s going to be one of the joys of the movie.
Jason Reitman also mentioned Murray’s notorious history of ad-libbing, which was certainly felt on set of Afterlife.

“I’d heard all the stories about Bill improvising lines of dialogue. And when Bill improvised a line, I remember everyone around me going “He did the thing!”

French Yes GIF by Groundhog Day

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
This is Ghostbusters 3
But the problem is that not all the original members are there, several years have passed and the original script looked good.

They could barely make the movie ... But what would it have cost him to have made it when they were at their peak? 80's, 90's?

Tschumi

can't say I'm interested in this, but I'm glad Bill Murray is still cognisant. I'm gonna go watch groundhog day or something...

All of the surviving cast members (except Moranis) are in it, and the whole movie is about Egon since his family is the focus.
I'd rather have Egon than his family and Murray is the main reason why it took this long. I really hope this new one is decent but the kids are really giving me doubts, I have a feeling this movie will be pretty tame compared to the first.

Last edited:

Ionian

I'd rather have Egon than his family and Murray is the main reason why it took this long. I really hope this new one is decent but the kids are really giving me doubts, I have a feeling this movie will be pretty tame compared to the first.

Let's face it, the first was lightning in a bottle. Watched the second in a cinema as a kid, enjoyed it but it was awful. Got some great laughs when watching it. And the video games that followed ... was there a single good one on any system?

Last edited:
Let's face it, the first was lightning in a bottle. Watched the second in a cinema as a kid, enjoyed it but it was awful. Got some great laughs when watching it. And the video games that followed ... was there a single good one on any system?
Yeah the Ghostbusters game on X360 and PS3 was really good and it had all 4 original cast doing the voices. Also Aykroyd and Ramis both helped write the script for it. In a lot of ways it really is the 3rd movie alot of us had hoped for so maybe you should check that out. On a side note, I like GB2. Sure its a rehash of 1 but I don't understand the hate it seems to be getting. I think people like to pile on the hatred because Murray seems to not like it but I'll say it since not many will....Bill Murray is a self-centered prick.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Yeah the Ghostbusters game on X360 and PS3 was really good and it had all 4 original cast doing the voices.
If you consider Murray half asleep and recording lines over a phone doing the voice.
Also Aykroyd and Ramis both helped write the script for it.
Not entirely accurate. The game used elements from the failed Ghostbusters: Hellbent movie script, which they did write. But when the game was being made the two were busy writing a different Ghostbusters 3 script that ended up never being made due to Ramis’ death.

If you consider Murray half asleep and recording lines over a phone doing the voice.

Not entirely accurate. The game used elements from the failed Ghostbusters: Hellbent movie script, which they did write. But when the game was being made the two were busy writing a different Ghostbusters 3 script that ended up never being made due to Ramis’ death.

Regardless of how much you wanna nitpick my comments, it was a solid game and felt like a good successor to the movies. The general consensus of it was very positive even with Murray phoning in his lines at least it was actually him and not some imitation.

Ionian

Yeah the Ghostbusters game on X360 and PS3 was really good and it had all 4 original cast doing the voices. Also Aykroyd and Ramis both helped write the script for it. In a lot of ways it really is the 3rd movie alot of us had hoped for so maybe you should check that out. On a side note, I like GB2. Sure its a rehash of 1 but I don't understand the hate it seems to be getting. I think people like to pile on the hatred because Murray seems to not like it but I'll say it since not many will....Bill Murray is a self-centered prick.

Oh I meant for that film. I enjoyed the ones after. By after after I mean I stopped at the PC one, life got in the way so never finished it.

Was really impressive though. They nailed it.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Murray refused to do a third in the 90s because he felt tricked into making Ghostbusters 2:

“I thought that the only reason anyone would want another one was just to make money,” Murray said. “And I was probably the most reluctant. Someone outfoxed me anyway. I don’t know if Ivan set it up, but they got us all back together in a room, and really, we hadn’t been together in a room since the movie came out and it was just really, really fun to be together. We were really funny together. Those are some really wonderful, really funny guys and girls. Sigourney [Weaver] and Annie Potts are some really spectacular women and funny as hell. They got us all together and they pitched a story idea that was really great. I thought, ‘Holy cow, we could make that work.””

Murray agreed to star in “Ghostbusters II” based on the pitch, but that pitch never materialized into what would become the sequel’s screenplay. As the comedian explained, “It ended up not being the story they wrote. They got us in the sequel under false pretenses. Harold had this great idea, but by the time we got to shooting it, I showed up on set and went, ‘What the hell is this? What is this thing?’ But we were already shooting it, so we had to figure out how to make it work.”

Raven117

Gold Member
Will probably see this and im sure I’ll like it.

When will people realize however that some movies are simply too specific to “re-make” as they were a very specific product of a certain cast AND a certain time?

ghostbusters 1 is absolutely that. The movie is absolutely awesome…. But to try and capture those personalities of those actors at those times in their careers…plus the 80s…. Plus Rami/akroyd script? Come on. that’s just lightening in a bottle.

Why am I not surprised to see you shitting on the film? What is it this time? Is the main character too woke for you? Not enough chauvinism to keep you happy?

You never learn do you? Stop following me around only to try to pick fights with me for no reason at all.
I strongly suggest to make use of the ignore button if you can't deal with my movie tastes. I'm getting real bored of your childish provocations that add absolutely nothing at all to the discussion at hand.

Last edited:

MacReady13

Watched the second in a cinema as a kid, enjoyed it but it was awful.
Really? Awful!? I mean yes, I don't think it is as good as the original but damn, awful! In what way may I ask? I really enjoy the 2nd and cannot fathom how anyone could not at least think it's OK at the bare minimum.

Ionian

Really? Awful!? I mean yes, I don't think it is as good as the original but damn, awful! In what way may I ask? I really enjoy the 2nd and cannot fathom how anyone could not at least think it's OK at the bare minimum.

Just the villian and the slime stuff. Did nothing for me but I did laugh a lot. Cinema was empty as well.

EDIT: had to ask permission as well to go from my parents as it was unheard of then they'd let me out that late on a dark night.

Last edited:

I feel the same way. Is it a rehash of the original? Yeah somewhat, but its got a villain in Vigo who is more sinister and intimidating than Gozer. I didn't mind the river of slime. I will say though I'm not a big fan of how the ghostbusters are hated at the beginning but I do understand what they were going for, just didn't like the reason they came up with why they are split up and doing bday parties now, I didn't buy it. Court room scene is amazing and is on par with anything from the original though, I can say this much. Yanosh is also great in it, the parts where he snatches Oscar off the building and also when his eyes light up in the dark hallway were legitimately creepy.

Last edited:

MacReady13

I feel the same way. Is it a rehash of the original? Yeah somewhat, but its got a villain in Vigo who is more sinister and intimidating than Gozer. I didn't mind the river of slime. I will say though I'm not a big fan of how the ghostbusters are hated at the beginning but I do understand what they were going for, just didn't like the reason they came up with why they are split up and doing bday parties now, I didn't buy it. Court room scene is amazing and is on par with anything from the original though, I can say this much.
I know this is sacrilege but I actually prefer the Bobby Brown theme song to the original Ghostbusters song! I'm a fan of the sequel and it wasn't until the past few years I saw the hate it received online. I always thought it was a really good sequel to one of the all time greats. Even hearing Bill Murray's complaints never made any sense to me.

I know this is sacrilege but I actually prefer the Bobby Brown theme song to the original Ghostbusters song! I'm a fan of the sequel and it wasn't until the past few years I saw the hate it received online. I always thought it was a really good sequel to one of the all time greats. Even hearing Bill Murray's complaints never made any sense to me.

I really like the Bobby Brown theme, I wouldn't quite say its better than Ray Parker Jr but its very solid. Another small issue I have with GB2 is that Venkman always feels like the 4th wheel in it. Half the scenes it feels like he's not suited up or with the other 3 and just doing his own thing. It's almost like he wasn't a ghostbuster for a chunk of the movie, always rubbed me the wrong way. I wouldn't be surprised if that's something Murray requested since dressing and being a ghostbuster by that point was probably "beneath" him.

Last edited:

MacReady13

I really like the Bobby Brown theme, I wouldn't quite say its better than Ray Parker Jr but its very solid. Another small issue I have with GB2 is that Venkman always feels like the 4th wheel in it. Half the scenes it feels like he's not suited up or with the other 3 and just doing his own thing. It's almost like he wasn't a ghostbuster for a chunk of the movie, always rubbed me the wrong way. I wouldn't be surprised if that's something Murray requested since dressing and being a ghostbuster by that point was probably "beneath" him.
I didn't see it as much of a problem. He was trying to get back with Weaver in the film so he was off doing his own thing and the other 3 were off finding out what was happening in NYC.

Kenpachii

It was a a product of its time that was great because of the chemistry between them.

The 2016 version was so trash i couldn't watch it to the end.

No faith in this one.

The Skull

I think he needs to let it go. Ghostbusters 2 is a fine sequel to a classic.
Agreed. 2 has some absolutely comedy moments. I understand the criticism of it that it just follows the original beat for beat but there's some great scenes and jokes in it.

Last edited:

Davey Cakes

On Our Own is the song that singlehandedly got me into the New Jack Swing genre.

Top Bottom