• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Billionaire Ross Perot, who ran twice for president, dead at 89

#Phonepunk#

Sep 4, 2018
RIP to an inspiration. the 1992 presidential election was the first one i was aware of. Perot had an amazing take no shit attitude people found endearing.

recently i went back and looked at his '92 run. he had a lot of really cool ideas. he was actually trying to get direct electronic democracy going before the internet was even up. we could use someone like him.

it's kind of shocking how close he came to winning, he was beating both Bush and Clinton at one point. apparently his campaign was done in by establishment pressure and threats from the powerful Bush family.

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
Jul 7, 2018
Sorry to hear it, leukemia is a bad disease which I would not wish upon even the worst enemy of mine, may he RIP and may we live up to reach his age.

Reactions: DeafTourette

Tesseract

Crushed by Thanos
Dec 7, 2008
rip that buy time he slotted on late night tv to talk about various sectors of the government, that was some gangster rich dude shit

Last edited:

merlinevo

Apr 28, 2019
He warned us back in the 90's about the dangers of NAFTA and globalism but America was blinded by Bill Clinton's charm and smooth talk.

We have got to stop sending jobs overseas. It's pretty simple: If you're paying $12, $13, $14 an hour for factory workers and you can move your factory South of the border, pay a dollar an hour for labor, ... have no health care—that's the most expensive single element in making a car— have no environmental controls, no pollution controls and no retirement, and you don't care about anything but making money, there will be a giant sucking sound going south.
... when [Mexico's] jobs come up from a dollar an hour to six dollars an hour, and ours go down to six dollars an hour, and then it's leveled again. But in the meantime, you've wrecked the country with these kinds of deals.

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
He warned us back in the 90's about the dangers of NAFTA and globalism but America was blinded by Bill Clinton's charm and smooth talk.
And there we have it. The left still falls for this. Extreme environmental regulations, forced wage increases, and the rest often just push factories to countries without any of that and we see even more pollution and worker abuse than we ever had with the same factories in the US. Plus more joblessness and homelessness in the US as a result.

DeafTourette

Apr 23, 2018
deaftourette.com
That's the globalism threat we should all fight ... I don't mind large corporations having satellite warehouses or such in SOME countries but don't move the majority of your jobs to others and pay them pennies on the dollar because it'll make you rich!

That's what a lot of people mean by runaway capitalism.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Jun 26, 2007
Best Coast
RIP.

The debate between him and Al Gore about trade and outsourcing takes on a whole new light when viewed now. The dude was right.

pennythots

Gold Member
May 14, 2019
And there we have it. The left still falls for this. Extreme environmental regulations, forced wage increases, and the rest often just push factories to countries without any of that and we see even more pollution and worker abuse than we ever had with the same factories in the US. Plus more joblessness and homelessness in the US as a result.
If only it was as simple and as effortless to simply blame things on the left or right and leave it at that.

Oct 26, 2018
Ross was a successful businessman. I'd trust him over any politician with a law degree or political science degree. People have to get away from baby kissing politics and look deep into the details. I know it can be boring as fuck as a lot of things are numbers based, or endless pages of policies, but don't assume boring material is meaningless.

I remember seeing him on I think a self paid 30 or 60 minute spot where he'd hold up charts on cardboard.

Jim Carrey did a hilarious bit on him on In Living Color too.

Last edited:

pimentel1

Midas Member
Jul 22, 2018
Most don’t realize this, but at one point he destroyed both Bush and Clinton on the debate floor and was ranking high in the polls until he suddenly dropped out. Ross Perot could have been our president.

RIP Ross.

AaronB

May 5, 2013
Tucker Carlson did a nice little retrospective of Ross Perot on his show yesterday. He says he'd criticized Perot at the time, but he turned out to be right to reject the big trade deals, address the border issues, and stop being the world's policeman.

I could say the same; I wasn't following very closely back then, but I wanted him to go away because he'd swing the election between the two "real" candidates. It would be the same today if someone tried to start a third party.