• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Binary Domain |OT| BUYING THIS GAME IS Not up for Nagoshiation

JB1981

Very nice OP. Sad to hear that the MP isn't so hot. 8/10 from Eurogamer is encouraging but the review didn't really read like an 8/10 to me. I will probably wait until the game goes on sale.

glaurung

Finished it last night.

The campaign is short, and yet it does not feel short. Quite MGS-like cinematography, solid shooting mechanics and a delightful set of weapons. I even liked the story, though it felt restricted in terms of choice (and there are about four QTEs that are too easy to fail). Cain the French gaybot is a new favorite.

Highly recommended.

As for MP - could not get it to work yet.

putarorex

I finished this last week. Pretty solid game with decent shooting and an interesting story. I bought the game in Japan but played it in English and the localization was better than expected (I actually laughed a couple of times at the jokes). It might be that I am just comparing it to Biohazard Revelation, which had cringeworthy English dialogue.

I could see playing chapters over again to try out missions with different team members, but I think I will sell the game before the buyback price drops. I played about one hour of the multiplayer (both horde mode and pvp), which was about enough for me. It wasn't bad, but it didn't grab me.

Everything about this thread feels right.

Im very pleased with the reviews and sales so far. See you all in the binary domain.

eshwaaz

Finished it last night.

The campaign is short, and yet it does not feel short.

About how long did it take you? Reviews are all saying it's 8 - 10 hours, which is great for a straight-up shooter. It's so damn aggravating to me that 5 - 6 hour campaigns have not only become common, but have also gained acceptance as a satisfactory length for an action game.

Yamibito

Played through Chapter 1 on PS3 last night- having lots of fun and the frame rate is much improved over the demo for those worried about this version.

Love the OP, I'm looking forward to picking up my copy on Tuesday (damn you Amazon for not offering release date shipping with this).

Also, I'm still hoping SEGA releases the Yakuza skins outside of Japan.

Love the OP, I'm looking forward to picking up my copy on Tuesday (damn you Amazon for not offering release date shipping with this).

Also, I'm still hoping SEGA releases the Yakuza skins outside of Japan.

Oh wow i didn't even know this.

AkiyamaBinaryDomain.jpg

Akiyama needs to be in every game ever.

It's disappointing to hear that the PS3 version is worse, as I was hoping to buy that version for the sake of finally getting some trophies and to teach myself how to aim with a Dual Shock.

glaurung

About how long did it take you? Reviews are all saying it's 8 - 10 hours, which is great for a straight-up shooter. It's so damn aggravating to me that 5 - 6 hour campaigns have not only become common, but have also gained acceptance as a satisfactory length for an action game.
Did not bother to look it up on a save file or in the system, but 9h sounds about right. Mind you, a cool third of that is made up of cutscenes.
How's the PS3 framerate guys, is it much better than the demo version?
No complaints from me, PS3 version. It might have dipped a few times during heavier cutscenes.

mujun

Yeah, I'm not sure why glaurang said that it's short. It took me 8.5 hours (went average speed I would say) which is quite long for a shooter.

Like that Robots go off like a car alarm when youre detected. Nice touch.

I have to hand it Nagoshi. Making robots your enemy is a flexible idea. Love the fact, that even though you blast their leg/legs off they still go on. Or that their armor bursts in smithereens when shot. The fact they act as bullet sponges is justified and challenging.

The variety of robot designs is really cool.

Its unlike most TPS cover based games, like uncharted where a couple of shots to the leg will kill a foe. Which doesnt make sense.

EDIT: I really hope this game sells, because it deserves the sales. Judging by what Ive seen, its more polished and put together than most TPS this generation. That and the story is quite enjoyable.

EDIT 2: Voice casting deserves some praise too. Love that the characters have accents. Havent heard something quite like it since the MGS 1 days. Major thumbs up.

deim0s

Did not bother to look it up on a save file or in the system, but 9h sounds about right. Mind you, a cool third of that is made up of cutscenes.No complaints from me, PS3 version. It might have dipped a few times during heavier cutscenes.

It's pretty fine for me. Dipped during the spider boss with all the dust around.

Am surprised the MP is smooth on a shitty connection.

dreamfall

So excited! My love for Nagoshi knows no bounds! Still trying to decide which console to get it on- my Yakuza PS3 experiences swear Sony, but that demo seems to say otherwise. What are most getting it for?!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Hmm, wasn't even on my radar, but all of a sudden I'm very tempted to preorder.
I'm sure that I'm just now wrapping up Vanquish for the first time has absolutely nothing to do with that. :)

Any consensus on platform features/performance? I tend to skew PS3 for controller preferences, but will switch to 360 if necessary (Bayonetta)...

Does anyone have the full 360 retail version?
Thats the one i have on reserve. So the frame rate is
smoother on the 360 right? I know the 360 looks a little
sharper with a few more jaggies than the PS3.

deim0s

How are you liking the multiplayer so far? Is it something you could see yourself investing considerable time in or just a nice diversion?

Quick match surprised me, I just blinked and instantly on a TDM session. Still a lot to discover tho and I haven't tried buying any additional equipment for each class yet, keep on picking the guns they leave around. Those shotguns deals massive damage.

I think it will stick with this much longer than *ahem* Uncharted's MP.

Nagoshi have something in here man. That man never fails.

Holy shit the highway-gigantic-motorcycle boss is fucking awesome!

Seriously. The robot designs in this game are rocking it

Metalmarc

Didn't even know much about the game till last night

downloaded the demo this morn and completed it.
at last a 3rd person shooter on the ps3 in the vein of gears that's good imo

will pick up a copy soon

Finished the game a few hours ago and enjoyed every single minute of it. The game offers a great campaign, some very cool characters like the french robot and great boss battles. Third person shooter fans should play it.

Does anyone have the full 360 retail version?
Thats the one i have on reserve. So the frame rate is
smoother on the 360 right? I know the 360 looks a little
sharper with a few more jaggies than the PS3.

I played the demos on PS3 and 360 as well as the full version on 360. The framerate is smooth most of the time in the retail version and framerate drops are rare.

Quick match surprised me, I just blinked and instantly on a TDM session. Still a lot to discover tho and I haven't tried buying any additional equipment for each class yet, keep on picking the guns they leave around. Those shotguns deals massive damage.

I think it will stick with this much longer than *ahem* Uncharted's MP.

Nagoshi have something in here man. That man never fails.

OK you got me all excited now! I loved Uncharted 2 mp but U3's mp really did not impress.
I think it had to do with the maps and the fact that the shooting did feel as good as U2's.

Really looking forward to playing now, is the hardest difficulty available from the start or do you need to unlock it?

One more question, are there any unlockables?

I am very torn. I know I will want to play this game. I want to support it. But I also feel that it's likely to bomb pretty hard, dropping to 30 or something soonish. So do i want to buy it at high price just to support the dev, or should i just play my own interest and buy it when it inevitably drops shortly..

mhayze

Was planning on ordering this for the PS3, unless there is something significantly worse about it compared to the 360 version?

Top Bottom