• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Binary Domain |OT| BUYING THIS GAME IS Not up for Nagoshiation

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I did not mind that, but hated the car chase sequence a bit later on. Pretty annoying on-rails segment, but other than that it's great for me so far.

Ooooh, excite! I hope it's Bladerunner-esque in style! (Please don't spoil it for me Gaf!)

Only reason why I didn't like the Jetski stage was the controls on the DS3 were so twitchy, just the tiniest movement seems to move me too far in that direction. Bouncing off stuff and coming to a complete stop from a minor scrape was another issue.

Gen X

Completed the car sequence, wasn't too bad, just a little hard to aim sometimes thanks to Cains wobbly driving. Took a couple of goes, was soon over once I realised I had some nanos for extra health and faster recovery.

Really impressed with the polish of the game so far. Only part I was disappointed with....

End of Sewer Plant Level...
Going up the lift I had to save Bo by shooting the robots off him. When I failed I kinda hoped that was going to be a consequence and let me carry on playing after losing a squad mate. Little bummed it wouldn't let you continue without succeeding.

This game is the reason that i didn't enjoy Mass Effect 3. Normally i would put Mass Effect's shooting mechanics just below the Vanquish/Uncharted/RDR and i played ME3 just after this game and it kinda felt that it sucked. BD is the one of the most underrated games of this generation IMO. I hope the sales are good.

Zen

Banned
I doubt it, unfortunately. I was really shocked when the Japan numbers came in, as I was expecting it to do 150-200k opening week (being a TPS it wasn't going to do as well as Yakuza,, but still the cred was there). We'll probably be lucky if Sega lets the team continue to experiment like this.

I bet sub 100k in the NPD.

But I'll be doing my part when the PC version comes out.

This game is the reason that i didn't enjoy Mass Effect 3. Normally i would put Mass Effect's shooting mechanics just below the Vanquish/Uncharted/RDR and i played ME3 just after this game and it kinda felt that it sucked. BD is the one of the most underrated games of this generation IMO. I hope the sales are good.

Funny how you bring up ME, since they end up at the same point, ME becoming less and less of a RPG in favour of being a shooter and BD adding some RPG elements onto a strong shooter base.

Big spoilers.
At the end of my game Bo fought with us then took the hit for Faye, leading to the funniest moments in the whole of games. When Dan looked at his best friends body and repeated his catchphrase "Shout if you're dead." I went light-headed from laughing so much.

Feindflug

Finished the game at No Mercy yesterday in two sittings, even though this was my third playthrough it was also the most fun, shooting the arms and legs of the robots or making a successful headshot (zing!) never gets old and rushing to helpless enemies with the overpowered-awesome shotgun is pure TPS joy....also the Type G special ability of the weapon that you got as DLC with the Limited Edition of the game is freakin' awesome.

No Mercy was challenging but never got cheap with the only negative the sometimes very high HP of the bosses -
Tsar Runner took an eternity to die :p
...still though I never died by cheaply and shitty designed encounters which is another great thing about the game.

Now I gotta try the Invasion mode since the competitive MP from what I've played is a laggy mess, hopefully I'll find some people to play as none of my friends got the game. :(

Get this game people, if you love TPS games you won't regret it.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
This game is awesome. I love a good Japanese boss. Character models are very impressive too.

Japanese tight design and narrative works really well in a scripted shooter.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
This game is awesome. I love a good Japanese boss. Character models are very impressive too.

Japanese tight design and narrative works really well in a scripted shooter.

I felt the same way. Every time I fought a boss, I realized why I love Japanese games so much. Every boss is well done, exciting, and intimidating.

The jetski was fucking terrible. I enjoyed the car sequences a lot though.

The jetski sections seemed really good to me. They acted like jetskis.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
That was SWEEEEET /chapter 3

You know what I really like about this game? It takes place in a modern city and you actually see civilians :eek:

How many war sho00trz do you have with no civilians in it?

Shaneus

WHAT ABOUT SPIKEOUT.

PS3 Pros:
--free online
--probably a bigger online community (though who knows if this will even apply in a year, when they're both dead)
--awesome installation sequence
--HAVE ALL YOUR NAGOSHI GAMES TOGETHER ON THE SHELF

360 Pros:
--better framerate
--better IQ (PS3 AA might look better to some, but it looks slightly blurrier than the 360 version)

All in all, you should buy the PC version.

That loading screen is BADASS. Shame you won't see that sort of stuff when it's downloading/installing the Steam version :(
Glad to see that someone FINALLY worked out how to get around Namco's crappy game-on-a-load-screen trademark b/s.

Gen X

That was SWEEEEET /chapter 3

You know what I really like about this game? It takes place in a modern city and you actually see civilians :eek:

How many war sho00trz do you have with no civilians in it?

Is chapter 3 the one after the sewer plant? I'm a little way through that now, glad the architecture has changed as I started to wonder how long we'd be walking around the ground level.

ironcreed

Banned
Beat it last night and loved the hell out of the surprise ending. Boss battles galore, great gameplay, interesting characters and a story that just gets better all the way until the end. Only downside is some of the visuals, drab environments and bland looking weapons. I give it a solid 8.5, which means it is great.

I was actually expecting Dan to discover that he was a Hollow Child, but the twist with Faye being offspring of one was quite welcome. I was thinking I was going to have to kill her, but the game just left me feeling really satisfied in how it all panned out with the final boss battle. There better be a sequel as well, as that is clearly the intent from the post-credits cutscene.

DemonNite

I was actually expecting Dan to discover that he was a Hollow Child, but the twist with Faye being offspring of one was quite welcome. I was thinking I was going to have to kill her, but the game just left me feeling really satisfied in how it all panned out with the final boss battle. There better be a sequel as well, as that is clearly the intent from the post-credits cutscene.

If they do a sequel, it will be interesting to see how they handle the possible variants in save games and remaining characters.

Will they do a better job than bioware? :p

ironcreed

Banned
If they do a sequel, it will be interesting to see how they handle the possible variants in save games and remaining characters.

Will they do a better job than bioware? :p

Would not be hard, in my view. The game has huge potential for a new IP. I just hope we get to see it.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
There, I updated the title. Why are people skipping this game? WHAT IS UP WITH Y'ALL

I did as you told me. I do not regret it.

I'm about 4 hours in, and the characters are a delight. Reasonably tight controls (i.e. not shit) and great dialogue peppered with humor, as well as a nice relation system that I really dig. This game is great, but we'll see how the rest of it plays out.

Thanks for pushing me, Kev.

I really like Dan's line in the dumpster
to Shindo and the cop, where they are implying he might be a hollow child because he's really good at fighting. 'I just work out'

The scene in question, from 3.00. Chapter 5-3 spoilers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RutLWSow8Hw

Teknoman

Yeah, it's bringing back terrible memories of how Sega handled the PC port of Renegade Ops...

After seeing how well Sonic Generations performs on PC, and that Phantasy Star Online 2 lead platform is PC, I have faith this will be a good port...even though its two different teams.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Man, looking back, I really wish they'd made all party members (with perhaps a few variations) available throughout the game. I really would have liked to see how the story unfolded based on who I trusted and took with me.

I like the game a lot, but I hope they make a second one and go batshit insane with the trust/party stuff.

Hell, I want Binary Domain 2 to be a Japanese Mass Effect (relationship-wise)

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
After seeing how well Sonic Generations performs on PC, and that Phantasy Star Online 2 lead platform is PC, I have faith this will be a good port...even though its two different teams.

Oh I'm not worried about the quality of the port, I was just referring to the constant, unexpected delays of Renegade Ops for PC and the lack of communication from Sega. No rush, though, I've got enough to play for now.

see5harp

Man this Jetski sequence... doing its best to sour the experience for me. Love the game so far though. The story stuff is much better than vanquish. I think some of the cover mechanics are a little clunky compared to gears but the feedback for shooting robots is super satisfying. How's the MP?

Ill Saint

The jetski part is tricky, but try letting go of the accelerator when you're manouvering. Once you've pointed the thing where you want to go, then hit the throttle. Best not to hold the button down constantly or you'll be all over the place.

Sonic Generations port for PC was also done by Devil's Details.. or are you referring to this being done by a separate team within that development house?

I had never heard of them before.. but given how awesome the sonic generations port is, I have a high level of confidence that Binary Domain will also be an excellent port.

Will buy on day one.

duckroll

Man, looking back, I really wish they'd made all party members (with perhaps a few variations) available throughout the game. I really would have liked to see how the story unfolded based on who I trusted and took with me.

Definitely. IMO this is the game's #1 flaw. If they had it fleshed out better in terms of squad management, and gave the player full control over the direction of the story based on which squad members taken on each mission and the trust level affecting all the major beats of the story, the game would have gone from very good/great to FUCKING AMAZING.

The jetski part is tricky, but try letting go of the accelerator when you're manouvering. Once you've pointed the thing where you want to go, then hit the throttle. Best not to hold the button down constantly or you'll be all over the place.

Yeah and use the control very carefully, small motions only. Otherwise you keep spinning and hitting walls :D

Definitely. IMO this is the game's #1 flaw. If they had it fleshed out better in terms of squad management, and gave the player full control over the direction of the story based on which squad members taken on each mission and the trust level affecting all the major beats of the story, the game would have gone from very good/great to FUCKING AMAZING.

I was really hoping for some
hard decisions on who lives/who dies at some point and more betrayals and/or who is a hollow child based on trust levels.
but i guess those will have to go in the sequels! :D /hope

one of the most criminally underrated this year.

ive finished it three times already and i'm not tired of it yet.

the music during installation and inside the Amada building in Chapter 5 is fucking kick ass. tell me im not alone here.

the music during installation and inside the Amada building in Chapter 5 is fucking kick ass. tell me im not alone here.

Installation and the UI are S tier, for sure, as if they hired every bit of talent SE had left. Just got to the building last night, can't wait.

I took a break to play ME3, and coming back was really refreshing. The train stage was far better than I remember it being in the demo, and maxing Faye's trust really paid off. If only
Cain
could stop walking in front of me during a firefight...

TBH part of me really prefers the Binary Domain progress system. I get my crazy setpiece shooting, but I know when the gun is put away I can just go and talk to people / buy stuff / answer questions like in an RPG.

I agree that some more discrete branching based on who you choose would have probably put the game over the top; while the experience feels customized to me at the moment I'm sure some of that will fall away if I ever play through again.

My only real gameplay beef right now is that Yakuza style system where you can be hit while you're down. Nothing is worse than getting juggled into a death state...

I'll tell ya my first run was on Survivor, and from Chapter 4 all the way to the beginning of Chapter 5 I felt like the knuckle on my pointer finger was going to melt away. The barrage of bosses that are thrown at you, while thrilling, literally had me in some physical pain.

Awesome, awesome game.

Top Bottom