• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Binary Domain |OT| BUYING THIS GAME IS Not up for Nagoshiation

duckroll

I've been thinking about replaying this, but a question before I do. Is there really any point in most of the weaponry you pick up? Seems like upgrading Dan's rifle makes most other things you pick up effectively obsolete.

Depends a lot on the situation imo. In most regular encounters there really isn't much point in picking up a weapon that you wouldn't really need, but since you can see what weapon it is before picking it up, you can make a decision based on that. If you kill an enemy with a shotgun for example, and you feel that it would be helpful to swap for that as your secondary so you can run the rest of the enemies, it can help a lot in a narrow area. Or if you see a sniper rifle and you're in a good position, that can help too.

Thrakier

I just played the demo and I'M really surprised by the positive impressions in this thread. It seems to be average at best. The voice commands (I'm using the BT playstation headset) aren't working for me at all besides easy onesl ike "yes" and "no". Also I mapped "space" to my mouse4 button and it seems pretty random if it works or not. The space button still works better. o_O

So I just got this game on PC, finally, and had a few questions.
What do people recommend for the FoV settings now that they are tweakable?
Is it possible to force ssaa with an ATI card? So far I don't seem to have any luck.
I don't suppose there is a way to tweak the distance of polygon/detail streaming, or whatever that is called; it's pretty jarring on the PC.

Danj

Who else is planning to pick this up on PC when it pops up on the Amazon.com download sale? I was on the fence about getting it when it came out but at the price Amazon will be selling it I think I'll jump on it.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Who else is planning to pick this up on PC when it pops up on the Amazon.com download sale? I was on the fence about getting it when it came out but at the price Amazon will be selling it I think I'll jump on it.

I don't know much about this game at all, but I'm definitely picking it up because the buzz has been generally positive.

RedSwirl

I got the demo on my system right now.

To those who've played it, controller or keyboard?

-Mikey-

Never payed attention to this title to be honest but after watching the Hollow Child video I'm excited to see how the story plays out. Waiting for the PC sale from amazon.

mbmonk

There's no supposedly about it, GAF has its own Amazon Digital Downloads games rep and he has confirmed it, Binary Domain PC download $9.99 starting tomorrow.

Thanks for the info. I can't wait for tomorrow. Hopefully it will run well on my PC :p

Yikes, I couldn't get into this at all, even as a Yakuza fan. Story or characters were nothing noteworthy and personally had the worst bosses I've experienced in a game of recent memory due to the absolutely horrid AI. I ended up just focusing all upgrades on Dan because squad mates are completely inept and constantly run into the line of fire, if they ever decide to do anything at all.

SxP

I ended up just focusing all upgrades on Dan because squad mates are completely inept and constantly run into the line of fire, if they ever decide to do anything at all.

Yeah, squadmates running into the line of fire was pretty annoying the entire game. There was one section where Cain would just patrol move between two points, exactly where I wanted to shoot. Extremely annoying.

Thrakier

I just played the demo and I'M really surprised by the positive impressions in this thread. It seems to be average at best. The voice commands (I'm using the BT playstation headset) aren't working for me at all besides easy onesl ike "yes" and "no". Also I mapped "space" to my mouse4 button and it seems pretty random if it works or not. The space button still works better. o_O

Any1? Should the voice commands work better?

Yeah, squadmates running into the line of fire was pretty annoying the entire game. There was one section where Cain would just patrol move between two points, exactly where I wanted to shoot. Extremely annoying.
That carrier boss with all the flying enemies getting in the way of laser missile fire–because my squad was just standing there looking at them–had me the angriest I've been in a while. The fucking boss battles in general are just bad in this game, really drawn out to say the least. I think the Ape/Gorilla (second encounter) was the worst for that.

SxP

That carrier boss with all the flying enemies getting in the way of laser missile fire–because my squad was just standing there looking at them–had me the angriest I've been in a while. .

Oh man, I forgot all about that. I must have been downed 5+ times from trying to shoot the boss and then suddenly those flying pests got in my face. That boss was extremely frustrating, every time I got a good view on the boss, those enemies were in my face by the time I locked on.

Firebrand

I got the demo on my system right now.

To those who've played it, controller or keyboard?

I preferred the gamepad because of the feel, I'm having trouble aiming quickly enough on Very Hard though.

If you do play with the mouse I'd suggest you start the game on Hard or it'll be much too easy.

And oh, a note on DLC to people who are buying the game now:
- Multiplayer Pack: Hardly anyone is playing the versus mode, you need to be at least 6 people just to start a game of free for all. On the other hand, if you don't have the exclusive map it'll probably be even harder to get into the game!
- Dan Marshall Pack: Basically a paid cheat. You get some free nanomachines and you can pick up a DLC-exclusive charge attack upgrade for free that seems slightly overpowered from what I've seen. (Maybe someone who actually has the DLC can offer their opinion on it.)

For those playing on the PC with a pad, is there anyway to change the icons to make them match the 360 buttons?

i was just going to ask this and ask how the fuck i communicate voice commands. i push LB on the 360 pad and it brings up the menu but how do i move the cursor to select yes or no, etc?

Firebrand

For those playing on the PC with a pad, is there anyway to change the icons to make them match the 360 buttons?
In the control panel outside of the game there's an "Input Display Icons" dropdown box. It used to default to 360 but people couldn't find the option for it (it should be auto-detecting that stuff, honestly) so they switched it to default to KB&M prompts.

i was just going to ask this and ask how the fuck i communicate voice commands. i push LB on the 360 pad and it brings up the menu but how do i move the cursor to select yes or no, etc?
Turn off the mic input to enable the 360 face button prompts in the menu. No idea why they couldn't be there regardless.

Kerrinck

In the control panel outside of the game there's an "Input Display Icons" dropdown box. It used to default to 360 but people couldn't find the option for it (it should be auto-detecting that stuff, honestly) so they switched it to default to KB&M prompts.

Turn off the mic input to enable the 360 face button prompts in the menu. No idea why they couldn't be there regardless.

Thanks man! Working perfectly now.

thanks broham!

Edgeward

Beat it! Holy shit, Nagoshi. In true form, the story goes completely crazy near the end.

At the games this year I've played this is definitely my favorite. The action was terrific, shooting off limbs of robots never gets old. Even more fun and tactical is shooting the heads off and watching the enemies turn on each other because of it. When you can get a headshot on a heavy gunner and watch him take down all the other enemies. So good.

I had no idea trust actually had an effect on the story! I was just expecting a good 3rd person with no frills but it went a little extra with it's systems to make it really good. I'll need to go back and do it again as I got the somewhat good ending only.
Poor Bo died and Cain turned on me never to be seen again ;_;

Sad there isn't a new game plus. I would've at least liked to keep all my upgrades.

Edit: Also, this game has some terrific boss fights. I've pretty much hated all boss fights in shooters but these were done pretty well. Although sometimes it's hard to know if you are really damaging it at times when it isn't the obvious shoot the glowing bit.

nel e nel

Any1? Should the voice commands work better?

Honestly, while I give them credit for trying something, I'd say forget the voice commands. I ended up having too many issues with not recognizing what I was saying coupled with my mic picking up background noise, it was much easier to just use the controller.

This was on 360 so it was fairly simple, don't know how it works on PC.

I played this game once and put it down after that annoying spider robot boss killed me. I'm reluctant to pick it back up because I have a fear of robots and I already had some nightmares associated with this game.

I'm having a good time so far. Just finished chapter 1.

I just wish Big Bo (and I assume other teammates will be like this) wouldn't constantly run into my line of fire. I mean, I'm trying to keep you on my good side, so why do you run into my bullets and get mad at me for it? I thought this was something we mostly got rid of this generation?

The voice command stuff is hilarious, but it wasn't working well for me, so I turned it off.

The conversation about
the Chinese agent (well, really the entire meet up conversation) had me laughing.
I think I'm going to enjoy this game.

I played this game once and put it down after that annoying spider robot boss killed me. I'm reluctant to pick it back up because I have a fear of robots and I already had some nightmares associated with this game.
If that one annoyed you don't bother picking it back up, they get progressively more frustrating.
Outside of that, why did you buy a game surrounding the concept of robots when you have an acute fear of them?

Alucrid

Banned
I love this game. The fact that Japanese cutscenes are in Japanese, the gameplay, the cutscenes themselves, it's all golden.

I miss the wet suit now though. :(

Olli

Banned
Wow this game is really good. I knew I could trust Nagoshi in terms of story. I am in Chapter 4 or 5 and I love it so far. All the characters are great and while you certainly can hate their personality they are all well developed character.

While japanese developer often could take a hint from western games in terms of gameplay and design many western developer really need to take lessons in terms of storytelling.

Ken

Just bought it off Amazon for $10 and installed on Steam but when I try to play it gives me a critical error and tells me the configuration file is not found? Any help?

Edit: Nevermind, just hit Save and Quit and it worked.

Olli

Banned
Ok 9 hours later and done. It was really a great game The shooting felt great the robot design was fantastic and the story was interesting until the end.

Too bad that we probably will never see a Sequel....

Alucrid

Banned
So...question about a character mid way through the game.
Does that other french guy who was in the van with the robot die? I guess I missed what happened to him.

LiK

Ok 9 hours later and done. It was really a great game The shooting felt great the robot design was fantastic and the story was interesting until the end.

Too bad that we probably will never see a Sequel....

thankfully, the epilogue was satisfying.

Zat

Neo Member
You guys were not shitting; I'm 6 hours in and the game is really fun. Crazy good value for $10. Never knew shooting robots could be this entertaining.

Everybody on the fence, I say plunge.

Game is so good. I've almost beaten it.

I would love to see a flowchart though of what happens and what's different depending on who you bring with you or who trusts you. It just seems like simple insert different model in cutscene here during the beginnings but later on...

Basically I'm just assuming
you can't do what you did to Faye to Big Bo

About to buy the steam version since its so damn cheap

How does it fare compared to the console versions?

Is the multiplayer active at all?

I wish there was a way to turn off subtitles while still having them on for the japanese speaking cutscenes.

This is my only complaint with the game too. I absolutely hate having subtitles for the English parts, which means I am missing out an entire subplot of the game that is going on in Japanese. Would someone mind posting what it is in a spoiler?
What is that cop after and what does keep saying to his sidekick? For reference, I've just reached the Amada corporation so no endgame spoilers please :)

Edgeward

This is my only complaint with the game too. I absolutely hate having subtitles for the English parts, which means I am missing out an entire subplot of the game that is going on in Japanese. Would someone mind posting what it is in a spoiler?
What is that cop after and what does keep saying to his sidekick? For reference, I've just reached the Amada corporation so no endgame spoilers please :)

You mean in the helicopter? He wanted to chase them into the building but the higher ups told him to stand down. His partner then pretended not to hear the order and they decided to enter the building anyway.

About to buy the steam version since its so damn cheap

How does it fare compared to the console versions?

Is the multiplayer active at all?

PC is the definitive version. Runs way smooth and looks great. May need to remap keys if playing on kb/m or just play on a pad.

No.

IISANDERII

Completed it and enjoyed far more than I thought I would.
Does anybody still play multiplayer Invasion? On PS3? If so, my PSN ID is Sander1887.

Beat the game tonight, and it was fantastic.

The characters/writing were extremely entertaining. I was really surprised at how much I found myself chuckling at the interaction between everyone. The combat was also very enjoyable, despite being repetitive. I never really cared because it was so fun. Also, your gun gets crazy good the more you upgrade it. I was impressing my teammates constantly!

Story was actually pretty good, too. Not the best story of the year or anything, but definitely much better than I ever expected out of the game.

Kind of sad I waited to support it until it hit $10, but I'm really glad I played through this.

edit: The only thing that I found lacking was the proper resolution
for Cain. : (
I liked him, and it was sad to see him completely removed from the game after that moment...

edit: The only thing that I found lacking was the proper resolution
for Cain. : (
I liked him, and it was sad to see him completely removed from the game after that moment...

If every team member is
at maximum trust, Cain should show up before the last fight, and take the hit that would normally kill Bo. Every team member lives as a result.

Top Bottom