• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Binary Domain |OT| BUYING THIS GAME IS Not up for Nagoshiation

Tomasooie

ibewRCaGcIcnTm.png

i8cIV0ut715zV.png

ONLY ON:

XDUDE 360, PRAYSTATION 3, and PEE-CEE

WHICH VERSION TO BUY:

PC for best framerate and image quality; 360 for next-best framerate and image quality; PS3 for free console online and an awesome installation sequence.

DEVELOPED BY:

SEGA CS1 (Headed by Toshihiro Nagoshi of Daytona USA, SCUD Race/Sega Super GT, SpikeOut, Super Monkey Ball, F-Zero GX, and Yakuza fame)

GENRE:

Third-Person Cover Shooter (controls like Gears of War)

YOU WILL PURCHASE IT ON:

JAPAN -- February 16, 2012 (GO BUY IT NOW)

AUSTRALIA -- February 23, 2012 (GO BUY IT NOW at a store near you)

EUROPE -- February 24, 2012 (GO BUY IT NOW)

NORTH AMERICA -- February 28, 2012 (GO BUY IT NOW)

And while you're at it (even if you've already bought the game), try the demo -- available NOW on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

NOW AVAILABLE on Steam -- $39.99

20% off (STEAMWORKS) at Green Man Gaming!

i9wljMiZJUVu.png

Gray skies build over a 2080 Tokyo as the lines between man and machine start to blur.
The Amada Corporation has broken international law by creating robots that are nearly indistinguishable from actual humans, and that actually believe themselves to be human.
These "hollow children" have infiltrated their way into every facet of society.
The Rust Crew is commissioned to get to the bottom of this, and find out exactly what Amada is planning...

Become DAN, and lead an multinational squad of trigger-happy tigers into an all-out war against the spark-powdered menace.
But as their fight progresses, one question reverberbates throughout the field of battle:
ARE THE ROBOTS BECOMING MORE HUMAN, OR ARE THE HUMANS BECOMING MORE LIKE MACHINE?

In all seriousness, the game is aiming deep with its narrative. The all-encompassing theme is life, and what, exactly, life is.
Expect plenty of heart-wrenching drama, balls-out action, and the Sega flair no man or robot can resist.

I think this sequence nails every aspect, and sells the story very well:

Yakuza Hollow Child.

WATCH THIS. YES, EVEN YOU TYPES WHO JUST SKIM OVER THE OP.

iQo9zNTlVwh1P.png

THE WORLD'S BEST AI:

That's the mark the development team had in mind when creating the robotic enemies you'll soon face (because the game is already ordered and paid for, yes?).
Disassemble them with each shot -- gun off the external plating, tear them limb from limb, even pop a head off, and they'll adjust to each dismemberment in style. The larger and more intricate the enemy, the more pieces you'll be able to deconstruct. No legs, no problem.
Look Ma,
No face...All the better to see you with, my dear. This demo gameplay video, played and narrated by the NA producer, shows off how those pesky-bots deal with their amputations. They'll surprise you with their tactics. As they change their strategy, you too will have to adapt, or you'll be seeing 0s and 1s.
Forgive me.

YOUR SPOKEN WORD:

Fortunately you've got a band who are as skilled as they are diverse. And the game's voice recognition hooks you directly into their veins and ears and shit for maximum efficiency. Tell the team to cover you, fall back, charge, etc., or even swear to let off steam and your mates will be all ears. There are multiple phrases for every strategy. Imagine all the buttons you'd need to pull this off otherwise!

But for the voice-conscious, noise-conscious, or those who just don't like (or don't want to be seen) speaking to a game -- you can use buttons to answer to any conversational scenario, and to use Baby's First Squad Commands (consists of four basic ones).

TRUSTY BELL:

Your hand-picked squad will react to your every command, but that doesn't necessarily mean they'll follow through and massage your feet unless they totally trust you.
You do want them to trust you, right? Especially Big Bo; he gives the best foot massages.

The level of trust you have with different characters will affect the story: who lives, who dies, and perhaps a bit of romance (come at me, Bo), ensuring replay value out the ass.
But where it counts, kid, is in the midst of the action -- where rapport with a comrade can mean the difference between mauling the scrap to self-destruction and bleeding to death while your squadmates run right over you.

To build trust, help your team out. Get them up when they need it. Compliment them on their accuracy, or good looks (Bo-exclusive feature). Occasionally you'll have to respond to them in conversation. Don't panic. Just be yourself.

To keep trust, refrain from calling your pals idiots. Avoid friendly fire. Don't suck. While conversing, sometimes you won't be able to please one person without offending another.
Damn they make this shit life-like.

JAPAN HAS A VENDING MACHINE FOR EVERYTHING:

Bolster your arsenal, modify your weaponry, and make use of nanomachines to keep you and your teammates in top shape. You can find these out in the field or by accessing the vending machines (okay, shop terminals). You earn credits to spend by taking out enemies, and even more for finishing them off with finesse. It also seems that every time you finish your shopping, you have a chance at winning the store jackpot! The more you buy, the higher your chances! What could the prizes be?

Judging from the demo, the weapons seem to be the usual fare: assault rifles, shotguns, sniper rifles, rocket launchers, standard-issue unlimited ammo pistol...but who knows what else is lurking in the depths of Tokyo's vending machines...and in the hands of the enemy.

MARK YOUR DOMAIN IN MULTIPLAYER:

The standard "we need these in our shooter" modes -- Free for All, Team Deathmatch, Team Survival, Capture the Data, King of the Domain. Some bring their own twists on the formulas (Data Capture has your team placing the data around your base before you set out), but all will have the idiosyncrasies only BINARY DOMAIN can offer you. Oh, and there's Operation, where you use bombs to wreck the other team's shit. Hell yeah.

There are five classes to choose from, each determining your appearance and main weapon: the Soldier (assault rifle), the Scout (SMG), the Sniper (echo), the Heavy Gunner (a light machine gun), and the Striker (shotgun).

All of those modes support 2 to 10 players, but there's also a cooperative Invasion mode for 1-4 players that has you fending off the scrapheads for 50 rounds of robot-ripping carnage.

Nagoshi Himself (Lord, praise the Lord) claims you will feel connections with your fellow players.

He means teamwork, motherfucker. Put the voice training from single-player to use in the real life-and-death, build trust, strategize, and execute together to eliminate all adversaries. Or lone wolf it up, cuss everyone out and friendly-fire them all to hell. The binary choice is yours.

i9Kv5PXEMAGZ9.png

VIDEOS:

BIGGER than you THINK Trailer

Consequence System Trailer

Assassination Attempt Trailer

Yakuza Hollow Child Trailer (WATCH IT AGAIN)

Demo Gameplay with Commentary from NA Producer

REVIEWS:

Eurogamer Review

OXM UK Review

IGN Review

Gamespot Review

Game Informer Review

The Next Level Review

INTERVIEWS:

Nagoshi talks to Gamespot

Nagoshi talks to CVG

Nagoshi talks to SEGAbits

To Noisepurge for the section headers,
Quinntendopower for his inspiration (including OT title) and sacrifice,
and Nagoshi and his team for gracing us with a new IP we are clearly not worthy of.

BINARY

DOMAIN.

iq38dVewSJrUk.png

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
that OT title is great

edit: anyone notice we're getting a week of sci-fi shooters for like 3 weeks straight?

Also, it's weird Nagoshi's games come out so close to each other

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I didn't mind the demo but I think I'm going to wait until this is $20 or so.

Also the "smart AI" comment is hilarious since the teammate AI will purposely get in your line of fire, get friendly fired on and then bitch endlessly about it. Uh, dude, I was firing for five seconds straight before you jumped right into my spray, don't bitch because you are blind as a bat about it.

I didn't mind the demo but I think I'm going to wait until this is $20 or so.

Also the "smart AI" comment is hilarious since the teammate AI will purposely get in your line of fire, get friendly fired on and then bitch endlessly about it. Uh, dude, I was firing for five seconds straight before you jumped right into my spray, don't bitch because you are blind as a bat about it.

i noticed it too, but i think it had to do with the low level of AI "trust". i assume they work a lot better after you build it up.

Tomasooie

Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait.

Also, the back of the box lists co-op 1-4. Probably some survival-type mode, but is there any confirmation?
Yes, it's in the OP -- a survival/horde-type mode, 50 rounds, different levels to play in.

Everybody's a glory-hog. I think you can address one character specifically by saying their name, and then tell him/her to fall back so you can get back to shootans (if they like you enough to listen). And like Quinn mentioned, it could also be affected by trust entirely..

Sidzed2

Two hours in: visuals are uneven, frame rate is patchy, script is corny but oh wow are the enemies fun to fight. A couple of the early bosses have been both fun and an impressive spectacle. Looking forward to playing more.

Teknoman

Two hours in: visuals are uneven, frame rate is patchy, script is corny but oh wow are the enemies fun to fight. A couple of the early bosses have been both fun and an impressive spectacle. Looking forward to playing more.

PS3 or 360 version? Still trying to figure out which version to get.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
So were the PS3/360 discrepancies in the final build too? Anybody know from reports from Japan? Did anybody even buy the game in Japan? :(

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I'll probably get this over ME3.

That would be the correct decision.

Unfortunately my wallet is already running tight for the end of Feb / early March with great day 1 buy games like MLB The Show 12, Tales of Graces f and Hyperdimension Neptunia Mk2 all coming out in the next few weeks. Can't imagine BD takes too long to bomba :(

Expect a review by I whenever my copy arrives.

So looking forward to this.

Heard some places are ignoring street dates. Might be worth checking around it you have anyone in mind.

squidyj

So I have a 360 and a PS3 and I'm trying to decide which to get it on, the thing is I don't bother keeping up an active gold subscription on my 360 because I really don't play much on it so I would have to buy gold to play online.

hamchan

When this game was first revealed I thought it looked pretty awful. That and Yakuza of the Dead's awkward shooting controls led me to believe this game would be a failure. Well now I think it looks pretty awesome. Teaches me to doubt Yakuza Studio.

ACESmkII

Awesome OT is awesome.

So has it been confirmed yet that the framerate is improved in the final build of the PS3 version?

After playing the demo at least ten times, I can't wait to play this on Tuesday. My roommate is also sold so we'll be able to play that horde mode together which should be pretty sweet.

Great OP title by the way.

rozay

Banned
I'd really like to support this day 1 but I don't even have time to play it right now :( it's still in my amazon cart but I'm not sure if I should wait for this to hit $40 before buying it.

Cdammen

Damn I want this but the PS3 version, or the demo at least, had such horrible FPS drops. Are there no plans for a PC release?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
This is... not a very good game at all. Visually its fine, but shooting feels off. Gonna need to tinker with the aiming sensitivity or something. Maybe it will get better when I get to proper bosses that aren't entirely scripted sequences.

English voice-acting is just near enough bad to make it slightly comical too. Big Bo's (christ) half hearted "aight"'s for instance.

Top Bottom