• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Binding of Isaac expansion hitting in late May

Haunted

Announced a couple days ago by Edmund McMillen on Twitter, but I haven't seen a thread about it yet.

862def17eb39ceddd3e036b7c9a15c4bc13aed2d.jpg

Additional details:

McMillen on Formspring said:
No, im not sure when the trailer will be finished actually. the initial goal was to release it today but shit piled up and ive had to push back the release of the game to late May. sadly i dont have many more updated other than that about it.

the expansion is much bigger than i had expected and im still working out details with steam about release as well as polishing and testing said expansion.

HiqMK.png

latest screens:

358iq.jpg

U8QG9.jpg

05Vjn.jpg

3E6qp.jpg

I'm hyped. I severely underestimated just how great this game is when it came out and rediscovered it earlier this year. My 2012's 2011 game of the year.

Selkies!

Surprise hit of last year for me. This is a good enough excuse to jump back in for another 12 hours. I never really got to mess around with the content the last big patch added. $3 is a steal, I'm going to end up getting like 3 hours per dollar I payed for this game.

I should really move my save file to my laptop. Cloud saves would be cool, Ed should add cloud saves.

100 new items, holy shit.

This game was a surprise for me aswell, there are very few games who gave me that big of a challenge than this one. For $3 bucks, this was almost GOTY for me.

Haunted

The price-content ratio for the original was already ridiculous and this is looking like an equally amazing proposition. I often wait for bundles for smaller games like this, but I'll be there for this one day 1.

I got so many hours out of that game thanks to the random generation and gradually unlocking items/enemies. Really well designed.

Dambrosi

Banned
Damn, I'm nowhere near finished with vanilla Isaac, how will I deal with all this new hotness?

Great news, especially the price.

injurai

Banned
This game makes me rage so hard. It has probably the worst difficulty curve of any game I have ever played. It will be piss easy for a good while, then BOOM a room with limited walking space and a shit ton of mobs. So much of your performance is based on the luck of the level randomization. Guess fan's of nethack like this, but I just can't fucking stand it. Maybe one day I will finally beat this neurotic game.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
It can't. BoI is Flash.
Woops, forgot that was the issue.

Now I remember my gripe. The inability to remap the keyboard keys. I hate it when I can't remap keys so that if I'm using a virtual-keyboard emulator with my controller I need to sit there and create a new profile to load up only when playing a particular game. I recall BoI not allowing you to remap the keys.

Haunted

BoI Keyboard Defense Force assemble!

Well, I'm here anyway.
Playing it with a 360 controller literally changed the way I think about that game. It might only be 4-way shoot, but playing it twinstick just feels so right.

until you get that fucking chocolate drink powerup

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Sweet! Love the shit out of Binding of Isaac. Also, port it to something other than Flash. It's kind of annoying with the slowdown whenever there are buttloads of bombs on screen (Hell even plenty of torches slows it down a bit)

it's a twinstick style shooter, using the snes pad would be less than ideal.

Why? There are exactly the right amount of buttons and it worked just fine for Smash TV :p

You only shoot in 4 directions so using ABXY for shooting would work just fine :D

Toppot

Can't wait for this expansion! love the game so much, so fun, gonna get it on release for me and my friend and try and outdo each other for achievements etc. Only ones I have left at the moment are getting 4 items and doing caves, depth and womb without dying.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
I've played this $5 Flash game for 90 hours. It's so endlessly replayable, and the expansion's going to make it even more so.

Gravijah

Why? There are exactly the right amount of buttons and it worked just fine for Smash TV :p

You only shoot in 4 directions so using ABXY for shooting would work just fine :D

i dunno, i guess i just prefer keyboard for this game. mostly because it lets you have a finger on each key.

survivor

Banned
Can't wait for the expansion. I still haven't found everything in the original game but I did beat the final boss like 3 times so I consider that beating the game.

Haunted

Can't wait for the expansion. I still haven't found everything in the original game but I did beat the final boss like 3 times so I consider that beating the game.
Yeah, if you're not going for 100% completion you've beaten "the main game" once you beat
Sheol and Satan's three forms
, imo.

The cool part about the unlock progression with BoI is that you don't only get new items, but also new enemies, new levels and new (and harder) bosses over time. That and the countless different item permutations helps keep every aspect of the game fresh on repeated playthroughs.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Expansion would be an instant buy if it came with native controller support. :-/

joy2key makes it pretty much super easy. I think someone here even did the config file I forget who (sorry).

I use it and it works FLAWLESSLY. Xbox controller with this game, SO GOOD.

damn I put 76 hours in already.

Maedhros

I can't even undestand how people can play this game with a gamepad. Keyboard + Mouse is the way to go IMO.

Nice expansion. I'll get. The Halloween patch was freaking amazing. This sounds even better.

Top Bottom