• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Biomutant - Official Review Thread

GymWolf

Jun 11, 2019
shame it's the lack of experience of the team i guess?
I think that they tried to bite more that they can chew.

The creative director worked on the first 2 just cause games and he probably like having giant maps in his games even if they don't have the budget and manpower to do things correctly.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Spukc

Spukc

Jan 24, 2015
I think that they tried to bite more that they can chew.

The creative director worked on the first 2 just cause games and he probably like having giant maps in his games even if they don't have the budget and manpower to do things correctly.
if you still want to play this game cheap.

it's about 22 euro's if you use a belarus VPN on GoG

HotPocket69

Ubergender - contains all other genders
Oct 10, 2018
Mom’s basement with my tendies
hmm then just understaffed and not enough money?

It’s only 20 guys, so maybe understaffed? I mean if they needed or wanted more people I’d think they wouldn’t be hesitant. To me I think it was more of a too much time in the oven issue.

I’ll let ya know in less than 3 hours.

Last edited:
Reactions: draliko and Spukc

SJRB

May 10, 2012
hmm then just understaffed and not enough money?

Looks like a classic case of scope creep where they kept adding systems and mechanics, and at the same time losing track of their core elements resulting in a hodgepodge of barely fleshed out mechanics that neither clash nor mesh.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Spukc

balt1kr1s

May 17, 2021
Got my copy of the game and managed to play for like 15 mins (working from home so had go back to work lol).

It might be the case of day one patch but can’t feel any input lag or any sort of “laginness” at all.
Character feels as snappy and responsive as it can be in action game.

Larxia

Sep 11, 2016
France
www.flickr.com
If a 68 is a 'piece of shit' then what is a 58? 48? 38? 28? 18? 8? That's what I hate about video game reviews people assume that they only operate on a 50-100 scale
Yes, it's completely awful, the scale is absolutely broken, it's really stupid. 68 is technically, % wise, a pretty decent number, quite above average which would be 50. Sometimes I think reviews need a reboot, to go back to a logical scale.

Reactions: Hey Blinkin

Bernd Lauert

Apr 15, 2018
If a 68 is a 'piece of shit' then what is a 58? 48? 38? 28? 18? 8? That's what I hate about video game reviews people assume that they only operate on a 50-100 scale
People assume correctly though. It's not the people's fault, it's the game reviewers.

whyman

May 28, 2011
Stockholm
I'm so confused by the reviews of this game. Some hate the combat but loves the world. Others praise the good combat but says the world is boring. Then I see someone saying it's a buggy mess and another one that goes on about how few bugs there are for an indie game. ARE THEY PLAYING THE SAME GAME?

RoboFu

Oct 10, 2017
This type of games lives or dies by how fun the combat is.
Repeative quests are bad if its fun to do the things inbetween like fighting and transversal.
This is exactly why games like Assasins Creed are popular they get those parts correct.

This games really needs a demo unless the fighting is just that bad.

namekuseijin

Banned
Jun 10, 2020
this is an indie, huh?

bet if it looked like a retrarded mess of 80s pixel junk with a story about beating depression it would be getting rave reviews

Sundered also looked too good for its own sake. Woke people and reviewers hate beauty. Still time to save it with an untextured cell-shaded look...

Last edited:

Dragon_Rocks

Jul 12, 2013
Expected. Looked very rough from all the videos that were released. Animations were clunky, characters not very appealing, etc. etc.

GymWolf

Jun 11, 2019
Repeative quests are bad if its fun to do the things inbetween like fighting and transversal.
This is exactly why games like Assasins Creed are popular they get those parts correct.

But assassins creed combat goes from fucking dreadful to barely acceptable over the course of like 20 games...

Literally nobody buys ac games for their combat except for ubisoft fanboys like that crossing eden clown on reeee...

Last edited:
  • Strength
Reactions: Krappadizzle

SantaC

Jun 11, 2004
Of course the piece of shit jason has to brought up 8chan for a developer that wasnt even part of thq nordic then. They had nothing to do with it.

Would not be surprised if jason was the one telling all reviewers to tank this game.

kyussman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I'm so confused by the reviews of this game. Some hate the combat but loves the world. Others praise the good combat but says the world is boring. Then I see someone saying it's a buggy mess and another one that goes on about how few bugs there are for an indie game. ARE THEY PLAYING THE SAME GAME?
Yea,totally agree.Opinions are all over the place on this one......anyway,I've got my copy.....gonna wait to see if any more patches drop before jumping in though.

Reactions: Werewolfgrandma

whyman

May 28, 2011
Stockholm
Of course the piece of shit jason has to brought up 8chan for a developer that wasnt even part of thq nordic then. They had nothing to do with it.

Would not be surprised if jason was the one telling all reviewers to tank this game.
Yes I was probably not going to buy the game in the end but I think Jason might just have sold a copy.

nikolino840

Dec 30, 2018

NickFire

Mar 12, 2014
This range seemed predictable once they announced a technical issue would cause it to launch in 1080P on PS5, and it has nothing to do with console preference. I would have made the exact same prediction if it had been Series X launching in 1080P. Great games won't be launching in 1080P only on new gen hardware.

Arun1910

Sep 11, 2013

Bit of a weird tweet.

Reviews are only ever someone's opinion so I'm not sure why they're confused.

Regardless, the Biomutant account seems to be more in tune with the reviews... they are all over the place. Most people saying it's average, a few high scores thrown in.

Last edited:
Reactions: VN1X and Stuart360
Jun 1, 2016
Yea,totally agree.Opinions are all over the place on this one......anyway,I've got my copy.....gonna wait to see if any more patches drop before jumping in though.
I'm not sure I've ever seen a game be so all over the place for reviews. From broken mess 3/10 to something special amazing 10/10. I understand different strokes, but this seems ridiculous.

Reactions: Swoopsail

Fredrik

Jun 27, 2005
I'm not sure I've ever seen a game be so all over the place for reviews. From broken mess 3/10 to something special amazing 10/10. I understand different strokes, but this seems ridiculous.
After seeing that jschreier tweet, I’m pretty sure that some people actually want this game to fail, because of THQ.

Anyway, I’m jumping in soon to see the divisiveness myself. Work is done, then dinner, family time, kids bed time, then Biomutant time!

Jun 1, 2016
After seeing that jschreier tweet, I’m pretty sure that some people actually want this game to fail, because of THQ.

Anyway, I’m jumping in soon to see the divisiveness myself. Work is done, then dinner, family time, kids bed time, then Biomutant time!
Let me know how the combat feels. That's what I'm worried about. I'll jump in regardless of reviews once it's 20$. That's my limit for most games.

Reactions: Fredrik

SantaC

Jun 11, 2004

Exactly. Jscriever was just waiting for this moment.

Zannegan

Feb 20, 2018

See, I would say the exact opposite of Assassin's Creed. The quests are so cookie-cutter and repetitive, and the combat is dry and serviceable at best. I always thought is was the beautiful, historical settings that made the games appealing. *shrug*

GymWolf

Jun 11, 2019

Soy warriors hate thq's guts, on reee you can't open a topic about a thq game without some mongoloid screaming "fuck thq"

Last edited:

Hey Blinkin

Jun 12, 2019
Yes, it's completely awful, the scale is absolutely broken, it's really stupid. 68 is technically, % wise, a pretty decent number, quite above average which would be 50. Sometimes I think reviews need a reboot, to go back to a logical scale.

Complete agreement. I've almost always decided if I want to play a game before reviews are released and only look at them for performance issues.

The rest is just fluff for increasing my own hype. A 1-10 scale is way too arbitrary for a subjective grade. The game is either fun or it isn't.

Jun 2, 2017
I played it for like 2 hours this morning and thought it was pretty cool. Not far in enough to give it any real "Review" of course, but the game seemed like a pretty cool 3D Adventure title. It definitely looks beautiful when it wants to, and then you come to an area where its a little rough

Qinqy

Neo Member
Dec 9, 2018
They will get my money for sure. Don't care about if the game is good, they tried something different, maybe not gameplay wise but esthetic and wibe seem different to the norm. That must pay of. I'm really tired of an angry man 30-50 with vengeance on their mind.

Bo_Hazem

Gold Dealer
Feb 10, 2020
Salalah, Oman
Do you really want to slap £50 on something middling?

I think that's what it comes down too.

This game may be fun for a few hours in the bargain bin but I'd personally not spend full price on something pretty universally accepted as average.

Actually if it did have PS5 version day one I would've preordered it. Glad it didn't and I didn't.