• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Biomutant - Official Review Thread

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Feels like it's something I'll really like at first but eventually get bored with, much like a lot of open world games. I'm gonna play it all the way through though.

Reactions: Isa

GymWolf

I did but mostly for the animal character and weapon creativity, besides that they have nothing in common, it’s a mix of ingredients from all kinds of games really. I just hope they don’t drop it but tries to improve the things people don’t like. There is so much good stuff in there and I haven’t heard of any complaints that seemed unfixable.
From what i can tell reading some reviews, they just need to make abilities and melee as powerful\viable as guns (so stats changes\balancement, not really hard to do), make the game harder (again, stats work and maybe making the IA more aggressive) and making the combat more impactful (this is probably the hardest thing because you need to add more hit reeactions frames on enemies with possible derailment of the combat flow, balancement etc.).

I still don't know if these are real problems, i didn't tried the game myself yet and i don't really trust youtubers and "journalist".

geordiemp

Thanks for proving a logical point. We never reviewed Immortals, but in my opinion its a solid 8 of what I played. Severely underrated game.

If its 60 FPS its probably not input lag ? Maybe preset animations which cannot be changed until the current animation is finished - either way its bad for a action RPG and you commented on it clearly.

GymWolf

Countdown timer on their home page still says 5 hours.
Yeah but when i try to enter my orders page, i have instead this half loaded white page with a gigantic triangle and an exclamation point inside it, and since that is the general orders page so not just related to biomutant, i thought they had some problems with the site.

Feel a bit for Stefan Ljungqvist and the team . Thought he came across as a decent guy in interviews with good taste in games. I don’t think anyone sets out to make a game with that sort of average consensus. Hope those who buy it , enjoy it, each to their own tastes.

Reactions: Isa

Fredrik

From what i can tell reading some reviews, they just need to make abilities and melee as powerful\viable as guns (so stats changes\balancement, not really hard to do), make the game harder (again, stats work and maybe making the IA more aggressive) and making the combat more impactful (this is probably the hardest thing because you need to add more hit reeactions frames on enemies with possible derailment of the combat flow, balancement etc.).

I still don't know if these are real problems, i didn't tried the game myself yet and i don't really trust youtubers and "journalist".
Well said. It seems like exploration rewards needs to be improved as well, but that’s common for so many games and not something to slam a game for, still something I hope they can add with a patch.

Anyway I’ll jump in tomorrow after work, not skipping it because of some clear review bombing, everyone I usually listen to has rated the game between 6.5 and 8, that’s perfectly alright when the genre fits me like a glove and it’s a new cool IP 👍

GymWolf

Well said. It seems like exploration rewards needs to be improved as well, but that’s common for so many games and not something to slam a game for, still something I hope they can add with a patch.

Anyway I’ll jump in tomorrow after work, not skipping it because of some clear review bombing, everyone I usually listen to has rated the game between 6.5 and 8, that’s perfectly alright when the genre fits me like a glove and it’s a new cool IP 👍
Many reviews said that exploration is one of the best part and always rewarding.

Between mounts and other stuff to collect and the robust crafting system, you always find something that is useful.

This always looked like a strong selling point from the trailers, but then again, i'm gonna check by myself so for now is all speculation.

And i know that if 50 reviews say the same thing it must be true, but you all remember rdr2 reviews and how no one talked about the gameplay and mission structure problems (97mc) or how exploration in botw was rewarding between korok seeds and breakable weapons (another 90+ mc) and many other examples, sometimes reviews just get shit wrong, not saying that it's always true, but it happen.

(ok exploration in zelda is debatable many people liked well enough, but not rdr2 problems, those are fucking real)

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I checked. I do not believe they have one at the moment. Feel free to double check but I did not find anything.
Doesn’t Giant Bomb review like 5 games a year? Last time I checked (maybe a year ago) they were doing literally one review every 2 months

Hey Blinkin

Destructoid has a nice and balanced review where the reviewer don’t just focus on the shortcomings but tries to see the positives as well and in the end came away entertained.

”I honestly think that Biomutant's potential isn’t going to be fully realized until a sequel, spiritual or otherwise, but what’s here is perfectly entertaining.

I had a lot of trouble tearing myself away from Biomutant, and a lot of my grievances didn’t really surface until I’d finished it and had time to digest. Before that, I was absorbed in exploring its well-designed world, plumbing ruins, collecting dopey looking mounts, and dressing like I just survived a landfill explosion. There are some unwanted mutations in its genes, but they're covered in fur and easy to overlook.

8/10 - Great”

This is a well thought out and written review. The only issue that I've seen across the board that might be a bother is the difficulty not being difficult enough, but I'm certain the developer's will patch in a harder mode eventually.

The game sounds like comfort food to me.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Fenyx rising is actually a great game.

The biggest negative you gave for Biomutant was unresponsive controls - which for an action game waiting for inputs is a no go if it is the case and destroys any fun.

I read the OP's review, and while it is lacking in finesse, I wouldn't say "unresponsive controls" was their biggest negative.

I guess they didn't have the budget to pay off sites like the other AAA publishers do (and yes, they do do that).

. . .for example?

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
This is a well thought out and written review. The only issue that I've seen across the board that might be a bother is the difficulty not being difficult enough, but I'm certain the developer's will patch in a harder mode eventually.

The game sounds like comfort food to me.

Nothing like a good comfort food, checkbox Ubi like open world. I haven’t touched one since Immortals and from what I’ve seen, this one will hit the spot p good for me. Will probably make a good podcast game too 👌🏼

HotPocket69

Banned
They really missed out on the extra 20% by not making it exclusive to the Sony box.

w0cfeTZ.gif

*Nightwing

FYI for anyone preordered on psn: don’t know why it isn’t auto downloading, but had to go into library and download manually. Worried if it didn’t auto download for everyone will be slow downloading tomorrow

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I read the OP's review, and while it is lacking in finesse, I wouldn't say "unresponsive controls" was their biggest negative.

. . .for example?
EA, Naughty Dog, Ubisoft....many, many more.......do you really not know the AAA developers/publishers? Are you that naive?

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
The Evil Within, Mad Max, Vampyr, Rage 2, The Surge had similar scores and still enjoyed them tremendously. So still can’t wait to check it myself tomorrow!
Yeah those were pretty good. Liked Mad Max a lot...I need to play that again...never finished it.

The only thing that should really matter with a review is the performance. Most other aspects of games are pretty subjective.

If your playing this coz you wanna rip around as a magical rodent while a well spoken englishmen narrates your adventures, then this will probably be fun for you.

I fit in that category but a lot of people won't.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
A bit lower than I was expecting.
But it always looked like "wait for sale" game to me.

A single case from a single site 14 years ago is evidence that big publishers pay off almost every gaming review site for good scores?

Last edited by a moderator:

Fuz

Banned
Everyone = reviewers or everyone = players? Pick just one.

And don't get me wrong, I have no interess of playing this game because he don't get my attention, but the level of hate this game is getting is embarrassing. He don't need to be a GOTY contender to be played. People need to get out of their bubble and forget Metacritic a little.

BTW, the OP behavior is beyond embarrassing.
(y)

I have the distinct feeling that this game is getting much more shit than it deserves.

Last edited:
I've been on the fence hard with the previews of the game, going back and forth between extremely interested and massively underwhelmed depending on the video being played. Even with it's underwhelming score I still want to check it out but I'll wait for a sale. I think Karak Karak 's review was well made and kind of confirmed what I had already suspected. I look forward to playing it down the line after a few patches and maybe a 35% off sale or so. O well, hope the devs stick with it and keep polishing it like the NMS devs have. Was hoping it could fill that BotW hole I've had since my most recent BotW PC playthrough.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I didn't played that one because the footage didn't convinced me (the game has somehow worst physics and fun factor than the first game)

Let me ask you this then, do you greatly enjoyed every game with 90+ mc and absolutely hated every game with 70 or less?!

Because i know i didn't so i prefer to trust my guts and experience when i have to judge a game.

Yes, maybe the combat is gonna be clunky, the story bad and the open world a bit shallow, doesn:t mean that i'm not gonna have great fun with it, a lot of games with high scores have the same exact flaws.

The game always looked a bit clunky in the combat\animations department, i knew this since the first trailer, only a blind casual woukd hope for dmc 5 tier of combat, you don't need any journalist to see the glaring flaws of this game, they were always noticeable for an experienced player who play all type of games and not only ultra polished AAA games.
To answer your question, no. I don't think every critic is always right. If I hear from a bunch of people I trust that a game is great, even though the critics took a shit on it, I'll try it out. But how often does this happen? Literally never. I don't have the time or patience to play mediocre or shitty games in an attempt to find their "hidden beauty". And I'm not sorry about that. I'd rather do something else than play a mediocre videogame. Most games can barely hold my attention as is.

I actually took advantage of the $3 price glitch on EA Desktop last week, so it's possible I might be playing the game anyway. At which time I'll be happy to be wrong. Curious also to hear your hands-on impressions.

Fbh

You can post 20 more of these isolated cases of publishers trying to be shady, it doesn't really prove that there's some large scale bribe system in place to buy high scores.
TWLYsra.jpg
jqF820G.jpg
6AUbhmU.jpg
Ua4wA1N.jpg

Unless EA is just choosing to get average to low scores for some of their biggest franchises this gen. Amazing strategy.
I guess all those 62 sites that gave Battlefront 2 low scores are black listed now, since then they've been getting all the new EA games early through black magic!

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
EA, Naughty Dog, Ubisoft....many, many more.......do you really not know the AAA developers/publishers? Are you that naive?

Again. . .for example? Where are the stories of cash being put into the hands of review sites with any kind of sway. Punitive actions regarding advertising and access - sure. These are media companies after all. However LITERALLY paying for reviews. Where are they?

Top Bottom