• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Biomutant - Official Review Thread

Arun1910

A game with this stuff\art design is generic as fuck?

The game being quirky and having strange stuff in it is one of the major selling point imo.
Nah, you missed the point.

The issue most people seem to have in reviews is the constant back and forth across the map and dull mission design. "Not engaging" is probably the best phrase to use.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Quarter of Three gave it a 2/10

Kinda cool that they use the whole scale, but I doubt that this is anywhere close to being fair. 2/10 is Big Rigs or Superman 64 territory. At its worst Biomutant is perfectly playable.

rob305

Been playing for 4 hours and I'm liking the game more and more. The first 2 hours are rough, but once it opens up it gets better.

My main complaint is the dialog, I wish it didnt have the narrator and regular VOs instead (cut down to just the bare minimum if theyre trying to cut the cost). The narrator translating the conversations gets old and annoying really quick, thats easily my biggest gripe with the game so far.

SantaC

Kinda cool that they use the whole scale, but I doubt that this is anywhere close to being fair. 2/10 is Big Rigs or Superman 64 territory. At its worst Biomutant is perfectly playable.
Joke review influenced by schreier. This game isnt a 2/10

Ogbert

Played for about three hours.

It’s.......not very good. Combat is pitiful.

But it’s lighthearted. I’ll stick with it.

Phase

I'm watching Elajjaz play it right now and the world is filled with invisible walls everywhere, and looks very boring unfortunately.

GymWolf

Been playing for 4 hours and I'm liking the game more and more. The first 2 hours are rough, but once it opens up it gets better.

My main complaint is the dialog, I wish it didnt have the narrator and regular VOs instead (cut down to just the bare minimum if theyre trying to cut the cost). The narrator translating the conversations gets old and annoying really quick, thats easily my biggest gripe with the game so far.
You can disable the narrator.

GymWolf

Still getting it when PS5 version is available. Gameplay looked like garbage to me though.
giphy.gif

Is the combat hack and slash or point and shoot?
Horizon zero dawn was mostly point and shoot but would often end up hack and slash sometimes.
If it's like HZD I'll give the game a go. If its mostly hack and slash beat em up need to learn tons of combos to progress, I'll pass.

Denton

Tom did not give it 2 outta 10, but one star outta five - and as he always says, he never judges "objective quality", but only his own personal subjective enjoyment (or lack thereof). And if he really dislikes something, one or two stars it gets.

Tom's tastes are quite specific, I remember him doing the most negative review on the internet of the original Deus Ex 20 years ago.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
I like it so far. Biggest bummer is that hits in combat don’t feel impactful at all, but I like how it plays and utilizing the diff WUNG FU moves. Runs fine on the 5. Pretty environments. Nice music.

I chose the Dead Eye class. I dig that Max Payneish slo mo air dive while firing off rounds 😁 The slide maneuver is sweet too.

I look like a meerkat with Down syndrome

D9l0Rvs.jpg
jR13FRi.jpg
cPVRdAO.jpg
Hj207U4.jpg

Also the narrator sounds like the same one from Puppeteer so he’s staying on for now. I’m sure by hour 6 though I’ll want him to shut the fuck up.

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
he never judges "objective quality", but only his own personal subjective enjoyment (or lack thereof). And if he really dislikes something, one or two stars it gets.
I actually like this concept. More reviewers should acknowledge their subjectivity and just say what they think. I still feel like a 2/10 or 1/5 is way too harsh. Even if the game is not good, it is functional and perfectly playable. It definitely shouldn't be in the Superman 64 territory of games. It doesn't belong there.

Played about three hours and it’s decent, not up there with GoT or Spider-Man of course or even the Ubisoft games but these sub 4/10 reviews are a total joke. The open world is kind of like Days Gone or Horizon in that there’s not much going on so that might bother people.

Combat is fairly basic so far but responsive and fun enough. Looks good and performs well on PC.

I don’t like how the dialogue is handled through a narator but ymmv.

It’s less Eurojanky than I expected and not a rough gem like Elex. I’d say it’s closest to Day’s Gone in that everything works perfectly well you’ve just seen it done better before.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I actually liked the narrator as one of the best things. Reminds me of David Attenborough. Gives a unique feeling to the game.
agreed VA seems nice

combat so far is rather sloppy and gun feels weak game looks rather ugly maxed out >.<

dynamic resolution is off

Last edited:

Ogbert

Is the combat hack and slash or point and shoot?
Horizon zero dawn was mostly point and shoot but would often end up hack and slash sometimes.
If it's like HZD I'll give the game a go. If its mostly hack and slash beat em up need to learn tons of combos to progress, I'll pass.
Er, it’s a sort of weird mix of auto lock on, but once locked on, you have to keep
aiming to stay on target. Melee is just a case of a few hits and then dodging.

To be honest, and I’m not going to sugarcoat things, the combat is shit. It’s like they couldn’t decide if it was a shooter or a brawler, so they just half assed both.

SantaC

Tom did not give it 2 outta 10, but one star outta five - and as he always says, he never judges "objective quality", but only his own personal subjective enjoyment (or lack thereof). And if he really dislikes something, one or two stars it gets.

Tom's tastes are quite specific, I remember him doing the most negative review on the internet of the original Deus Ex 20 years ago.
He is a troll.

He once gave halo worst game of the year. His reviews are suppose to provoke.

Hinedorf

Banned
See, I would say the exact opposite of Assassin's Creed. The quests are so cookie-cutter and repetitive, and the combat is dry and serviceable at best. I always thought is was the beautiful, historical settings that made the games appealing. *shrug*
I like AC games in general, and have yet to finish Valhalla.... I'd absolutely agree with you.....AC is fun within itself but the bloat on the last one feels exactly 'cookie-cutter and repetitive' which is why I cleared around 7 of 10 and had my fill with the same process.

If Biomutant is that with better graphics....I can dump some hours into that just fine

Fredrik

Let me know how the combat feels. That's what I'm worried about. I'll jump in regardless of reviews once it's 20$. That's my limit for most games.
2.5 hours played.

In short: 7 or 8/10

Longer version:
First impressions from the tutorial area. Metacritic score seems valid. That’s the short of it. It just looks bad, you get interrupted too much and the area feels cramped and is boring to be honest. I’m guessing they wanted to have an Oblivion-coming-out-of-the-caves moment. But that was a bad idea. It’s just a bad start really.

Once that ends though, after maybe an hour with character creation included, when you exit the tutorial area...
Then I’m really enjoying this! 👍

Going by this small sample I would at the very lowest rate it 7/10 if I search for my inner crankiness.

But I would rate it 8/10 on a sunny day, like today. 👍

Maybe it stumbles later on but so far I think it’s a lovely and unique action RPG that don’t take itself too seriously. I don’t know what to compare it with. It’s a little bit of this and a little bit of that while it still manage to feel fresh. Someone said it was as if Rare made an action RPG and I think that’s a nice summary. It’s not perfect gameplaywise but it’s definitely not bad and it just oozes with charm and it shows that the dev team has had fun creating it. And it looks absolutely gorgeous at times!

The controls with mouse and keyboard are too complicated for me. I’m twisting my fingers into a knot to reach all the buttons in the heat of the battle. So I went with a controller and then it’s smooth sailing. Feels snappy, lots of autoaim but it can probably be deactivated, I don’t mind it though, the fights are surpisingly long, regular enemies are way more complicated to beat than similar enemies in something like BOTW, you’re dodging, blocking, using melee, shooting, healing, using combos etc. I got stomped by a mini boss, that’s why I’m here now. Playing on hard.

Screens
imTaAjl.png

QoL2iDS.png

iP7magw.png

fgZuSWF.png

pJm5u33.png

Runs at 65-95fps at max graphics settings at 1080p on a 1080ti btw. Smooth as butter with gsync.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Reviewed by Luke Reilly on Xbox One X. Also available on PlayStation 4 and PC.

"With excellent enemy creature design, a rich and diverse world, and piles and piles of choice when it comes to combat and customisation, Biomutant has a lot of the building blocks of a top-drawer action RPG. It's really missing only a few, but they're big ones: its cookie-cutter approach to objectives and puzzles feels two-or-so generations off the pace of other open-world action games, and that leaves the quest to gather all of the things feeling repetitive early on."

2.5 hours played.

In short: 7 or 8/10

Longer version:
First impressions from the tutorial area. Metacritic score seems valid. That’s the short of it. It just looks bad, you get interrupted too much and the area feels cramped and is boring to be honest. I’m guessing they wanted to have an Oblivion-coming-out-of-the-caves moment. But that was a bad idea. It’s just a bad start really.

Once that ends though, after maybe an hour with character creation included, when you exit the tutorial area...
Then I’m really enjoying this! 👍

Going by this small sample I would at the very lowest rate it 7/10 if I search for my inner crankiness.

But I would rate it 8/10 on a sunny day, like today. 👍

Maybe it stumbles later on but so far I think it’s a lovely and unique action RPG that don’t take itself too seriously. I don’t know what to compare it with. It’s a little bit of this and a little bit of that while it still manage to feel fresh. Someone said it was as if Rare made an action RPG and I think that’s a nice summary. It’s not perfect gameplaywise but it’s definitely not bad and it just oozes with charm and it shows that the dev team has had fun creating it. And it looks absolutely gorgeous at times!

The controls with mouse and keyboard are too complicated for me. I’m twisting my fingers into a knot to reach all the buttons in the heat of the battle. So I went with a controller and then it’s smooth sailing. Feels snappy, lots of autoaim but it can probably be deactivated, I don’t mind it though, the fights are surpisingly long, regular enemies are way more complicated to beat than similar enemies in something like BOTW, you’re dodging, blocking, using melee, shooting, healing, using combos etc. I got stomped by a mini boss, that’s why I’m here now. Playing on hard.

Screens
imTaAjl.png

QoL2iDS.png

iP7magw.png

fgZuSWF.png

pJm5u33.png

Runs at 65-95fps at max graphics settings at 1080p on a 1080ti btw. Smooth as butter with gsync.
Thanks so much for the detailed near review response. Sounds like I'll for sure get it at 20$. 3060ti but will be playing at 1440p with gsync. Sounds like it will run great.

Last edited:

Larxia

Having performance issues on a GTX 1080 here, in 1080p.
In most places it's fine, though the GPU usage is most of the time rather high (around 80%), but in some places I get fps drops to the low 50s, in places that don't seem that demanding, sometimes even in interiors.

I tried different settings and I noticed it's caused by the shadows. Max and high are identical with the same impact on performance, but lowering shadows to medium made it go from 52 fps at 99% gpu usage, to 60 fps with 70% gpu usage, quite a difference. But the shadow drawing distance at medium is really bad, you can see the shadows being drawn right in front of you and big parts of the environment missing their lighting.

I also noticed that the v-sync for me acts like a double buffered vsync, meaning that if the framerate drops below 60, it immediatly locks itself to 30, no inbetween. I tried changing it to tripple buffered vsync in the nvidia control panel, but for some reason it's still the same. Only changing to borderless fixes the issue, but then I have the usual problems you get with borderless like weird framepacing / stuttering and such. Wish there was a way to fix this, or just improve the performances in general without making such a drastic change in the graphics.

I don't think the game looks ugly, it's fine, but it definitely doesn't look like it should be that demanding.

Last edited:

CitizenZ

Banned
Say what you will about the game, but "generic" is not one of them. The game is colorful as shit and has fantastic art direction.

I just watched 4 hrs of WolfheartFPS playing on hard difficulty and i don't get the hate for the game. The combat looks solid, crafting and exploration is cool but the story is bad. Pretty much 99.9% of every game released.

GymWolf

I have a theory, most people didn't understand that the combat in this game is basically a less precise\more janky free flow combat from arkham series plus guns and powers and a bit of dmc with 3 buttons combos.

Played that way is fun enough and on hard at least at the beginning, it's not completely brainless.

They need to fix the soft lock with melee, sometimes the chara slides towards the wrong enemies or miss an attack because during a combo the soft lock vanish and you surpass an enemy looking like an idiot, also the camera is a bit shitty or just too close for the type of combat.
It requires very precise and misurate inputs from the players and no button mashing whatsoever to make up for the jankiness, i'm not even sure if this is partially on purpose to reward skilled players or not...i know it sound counter-intuitive with such a fast paced type of combat, but i think this game rewards a more celebral type of mindset, i have no doubt that some skilled youtubers are gonna make egregious "combo" videos on their channel, the game is absolutely responsive enough to pull off egregious things.

still, it's far from optimal but i'm still having a lot of fun.

Impacts on hits are hit and miss (pun intended), most of melee attacks do jack shit but sometimes i staggered enemies after a combo or make them fly away with some charged abilities, and the final blow always turn on ragdoll on enemies so at least they always fall or fly in a different way, again not optimal, barely acceptable but i seen worse.

Graphically the game can be a fucking looker (outdoors), and sometimes he looks like a glorified ps3 game (indoors), lucky for us majority of the game seems to be outside.

Some textures are pretty incredible for a 20 men team, the trees cortex for example, more detailed then some AAA, same for some rock formations and the water, really impressed.

Also, i don't usually care about this, but the cloud movements must to be one of the best i ever seen, except it's a bit too fast and it looks a bit too smokey and not fluffy enough.

Story is whatever, i like the charm sometimes and the gibberish is cute but yeah...

With the surprise of no one, i'm having great fun with it but i see all the shortcuts, people used with sony games or just super polished well animated cinematografic story driven games are probably gonna hate this one.

Some of the story delivery and some flashbacks kinda reminds me of lugaru\overgrowth in a nostalgic\good way.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
2.5 hours in so far and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Playing it on PS5 and it doesn't look too bad overall. I went with the Commando class and focusing more on ranged weapons.

Exploration has been rewarding, and combat so far is a tad too easy. I've gotten several dozen healing items so far and haven't needed to heal a single time yet. Movement feels good and the crafting system is actually fun to use compared to most crafting systems in other games.

LOTS of build options, customization, and skills to choose from.

I don't mind the narrator, but the dialogue choices are mostly too frequent or uninteresting.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
So ummm, I'm enjoying the game a lot now after playing the first day. Maybe my expectations are just kept reasonable and I avoid hype, but I think everyone (especially these reviewers) have lost their damned mind. The game is good. It might not be to your liking or style, but I find it good for a 20 man studio. I cannot actually believe the hate this game has gotten. So bizarre.

If I start to find that I'm not enjoying my experience, I'll update I guess. I doubt that will happen.

*Nightwing

I think everyone (especially these reviewers) have lost their damned mind. The game is good. It might not be to your liking or style, but I find it good for a 20 man studio. I cannot actually believe the hate this game has gotten. So bizarre.
Fells like Bizzaro world for sure. Been playing all day on ps4 pro and it’s just the simple fun beautiful game I’ve been missing and longing for to play and have fun playing and exploring the world.

Melee targeting can be cleaned up but not broken let alone bad, and I will need to play through again on hard, but other than that feels like I’m not playing the same game people are complaining about.

Would love to look in their minds just to see what they were expecting because the game in their heads must be the game of the fucking millennium beating out everything that comes out on every console until 2970AD

Pagusas

Elden Member
Exactly what I expected, the dev talent just isn’t AAA, we knew this by their resumes. Hopefully they gain more experience and eventually get there though.

hollams

Gold Member
I don't think HDR is supported on PC as I can't find an option for it even after turning on HDR in windows, kinda disappointing.

rob305

Im 8 hours in and enjoying the game more and more after the first couple of rough hours. Kind of reminds me of Days Gone which also reviewed shitty, the first couple of hours in Days Gone sucked and it picked up after.

Makes you wonder if it got all those 6 and under reviews because of the whole 8chan thing and if reviewers really gave it a fair shot

Denton

I actually like this concept. More reviewers should acknowledge their subjectivity and just say what they think. I still feel like a 2/10 or 1/5 is way too harsh. Even if the game is not good, it is functional and perfectly playable. It definitely shouldn't be in the Superman 64 territory of games. It doesn't belong there.

Tom does not play total shitshows like Superman 64 or Ride to Hell, and he is not going to rate a game he does not like or enjoy by average score just to not offend someone else. I disagree with him more often than not, but his reviews are always well written and self-admittedly subjective so I have no problem with them.

He is a troll.

He once gave halo worst game of the year. His reviews are suppose to provoke.

Not at all. If he gave Halo worst game of the year, that's because it was the worst game that he played that year, according to him. It does not mean it is the worst game that came out that year, or that it is the worst game of that year for everybody.

Look, he gave Deus Ex 20 years ago and Cyberpunk 2077 few months ago - some of my favourite games of all time - extremely low scores. Should it offend me that he didn't like/enjoy/appreciate these games as much as me? Should I consider him a troll for that? Nah.

Because he told a fact?

Because he's a cunt using guilt by association.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I have a theory, most people didn't understand that the combat in this game is basically a less precise\more janky free flow combat from arkham series plus guns and powers and a bit of dmc with 3 buttons combos.

Played that way is fun enough and on hard at least at the beginning, it's not completely brainless.

They need to fix the soft lock with melee, sometimes the chara slides towards the wrong enemies or miss an attack because during a combo the soft lock vanish and you surpass an enemy looking like an idiot, also the camera is a bit shitty or just too close for the type of combat.
It requires very precise and misurate inputs from the players and no button mashing whatsoever to make up for the jankiness, i'm not even sure if this is partially on purpose to reward skilled players or not...i know it sound counter-intuitive with such a fast paced type of combat, but i think this game rewards a more celebral type of mindset, i have no doubt that some skilled youtubers are gonna make egregious "combo" videos on their channel, the game is absolutely responsive enough to pull off egregious things.

still, it's far from optimal but i'm still having a lot of fun.

Impacts on hits are hit and miss (pun intended), most of melee attacks do jack shit but sometimes i staggered enemies after a combo or make them fly away with some charged abilities, and the final blow always turn on ragdoll on enemies so at least they always fall or fly in a different way, again not optimal, barely acceptable but i seen worse.

Graphically the game can be a fucking looker (outdoors), and sometimes he looks like a glorified ps3 game (indoors), lucky for us majority of the game seems to be outside.

Some textures are pretty incredible for a 20 men team, the trees cortex for example, more detailed then some AAA, same for some rock formations, really impressed.

Also, i don't usually care about this, but the cloud movements must to be one of the best i ever seen, except it's a bit too fast and it looks a bit too smokey and not fluffy enough.

Story is whatever, i like the charm sometimes and the gibberish is cute but yeah...

With the surprise of no one, i'm having great fun with it but i see all the shortcuts, people used with sony games or just super polished well animated cinematografic story driven games are probably gonna hate this one.

Some of the story delivery and some flashbacks kinda reminds me of lugaru\overgrowth in a nostalgic\good way.
Nice summary, almost like a review!👍

Just woke up, few hours cooling down my feelings and I still can’t think of anything else than playing this game, that’s not what I would think after my first night after playing a 4/10 game lol

Reviewers must’ve had insanely high expectations. That’s my thinking.

Or maybe they turned cranky because they were forced to finish it til the review embargo date and it was longer than expected?

Oh well, I’m going to take it slow and enjoy my time with this, no rush here, and if nothing else it’ll be my new screenshot game, I love the visuals!

The inside areas looks bad though as you say. Imagine if it started once you got out of the bunker instead of in that dark cramped area. First impression would’ve been so much better!

First things you’d see:

QkEaRr2.png

MaiN3Eo.png

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
Do you really want to slap £50 on something middling?

I think that's what it comes down too.

This game may be fun for a few hours in the bargain bin but I'd personally not spend full price on something pretty universally accepted as average.
No, thats why I have no interest in buying it.

GymWolf

Nice summary, almost like a review!👍

Just woke up, few hours cooling down my feelings and I still can’t think of anything else than playing this game, that’s not what I would think after my first night after playing a 4/10 game lol

Reviewers must’ve had insanely high expectations. That’s my thinking.

Or maybe they turned cranky because they were forced to finish it til the review embargo date and it was longer than expected?

Oh well, I’m going to take it slow and enjoy my time with this, no rush here, and if nothing else it’ll be my new screenshot game, I love the visuals!

The inside areas looks bad though as you say. Imagine if it started once you got out of the bunker instead of in that dark cramped area. First impression would’ve been so much better!

First things you’d see:

QkEaRr2.png

MaiN3Eo.png
Great pics.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
From what i hear the game's menus are the worst offenders here at least for me. Getting loot and not be able to immediately compare it with what you are currently wearing is unacceptable for this kind of game. I hope they patch these with some shortcut buttons that make life easier.

LMJ

Loving the game, once it starts opening up its a blast

Also didn't like the narration, until I changed it to Japanese lol now I love it :D

Fare thee well

Neophyte
Loving the game, once it starts opening up its a blast

Also didn't like the narration, until I changed it to Japanese lol now I love it :D

You can also go with the gibberish and mute the narration as well. The narration is definitely something people will either love or hate, and while I found it novel at first, it's nice to have the option to turn it off.

Last edited:
Top Bottom