• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Biomutant - Official Review Thread

Dibils2k

man the foilage in this game looks better than anything i have ever seen, the density is crazy

i'll wait till its on gamepass, but feels like reviews are being way too harsh because they couldnt butter up the reviewers. if this was a MS/Sony release i doubt we would be getting scores like 2/10

Ogbert

Ok.

About ten hours in now.

Im actually really liking it. It’s a good ‘bad’ game. The combat is much more fun if you slow down and try and do funny ‘wung-fu’ moves. There’s a rhythm to it - use your psi power, then shoot. Melee is still a bit pants, especially the parry.

However, the exploration is very enjoyable. It actually feels a little like Fallout, with more meaningful loot.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
If you're still unsure about the game I would recommend watching streams from later parts of the game (3-4 hours into the game at least). The first ~2 hours are very bad and amateurish:
- Bunker 101 looks like ass and it's not a good representation of the entire world which is actually very cool and diverse looking
- The game throws dozens of tutorials at you and doesn't allow you to take your time to practice the moves
- The flashbacks are very chaotic and the game lacks cut-scenes in general to make the transitions smoother

ACESHIGH

Banned
Something really odd with the steam reviews. The game was mostly negative yesterday but today it's almost at 60 percent. People leaving negative reviews playing for 40 minutes. For a game that it's not a performance clusterfuck, or has predatory MTX that seems really odd.

This looked like a 6 to 8 out of 10 game to me. We need more AA games like this one. Otherwise the industry would be made of your odd AAA single player, lots of free to play crap and indie metroidviania, first person horror survival crafting early access.

Kinda wonder if some reviewers are shitting in the game too much due to the whole ThqNordic / 8 chan debacle from years ago. Resetera pretty much spammed that shit into the ground a year ago where they kept saying they wont support this game

Labadal

Something really odd with the steam reviews. The game was mostly negative yesterday but today it's almost at 60 percent. People leaving negative reviews playing for 40 minutes. For a game that it's not a performance clusterfuck, or has predatory MTX that seems really odd.

This looked like a 6 to 8 out of 10 game to me. We need more AA games like this one. Otherwise the industry would be made of your odd AAA single player, lots of free to play crap and indie metroidviania, first person horror survival crafting early access.
The tutorial is pretty crap. Once you get past that, You'll have more fun. That's how it was for me.

Larxia

Having performance issues on a GTX 1080 here, in 1080p.
In most places it's fine, though the GPU usage is most of the time rather high (around 80%), but in some places I get fps drops to the low 50s, in places that don't seem that demanding, sometimes even in interiors.

I tried different settings and I noticed it's caused by the shadows. Max and high are identical with the same impact on performance, but lowering shadows to medium made it go from 52 fps at 99% gpu usage, to 60 fps with 70% gpu usage, quite a difference. But the shadow drawing distance at medium is really bad, you can see the shadows being drawn right in front of you and big parts of the environment missing their lighting.

I also noticed that the v-sync for me acts like a double buffered vsync, meaning that if the framerate drops below 60, it immediatly locks itself to 30, no inbetween. I tried changing it to tripple buffered vsync in the nvidia control panel, but for some reason it's still the same. Only changing to borderless fixes the issue, but then I have the usual problems you get with borderless like weird framepacing / stuttering and such. Wish there was a way to fix this, or just improve the performances in general without making such a drastic change in the graphics.

I don't think the game looks ugly, it's fine, but it definitely doesn't look like it should be that demanding.
quoting myself to add more to it.

This game is super weird tech wise, I really don't know what's up, it seems like nothing I do actually affects it.
Is anistropic filtering working for any of you? I tried forcing it to X16 in the gpu control panel and in the engine.ini, but still no luck, blurry textures all around.

I also still couldn't find a way to fix that double buffered vsync issue, it's either borderless with stuttering, or smoother fullscreen but random locks to 30fps. It's quite frustrating. I think I'm going to just turn off vsync completely and try using rivatuner scanline sync to somewhat get rid of tearing.

Here's how it looks for me, notice how blurry the ground is because of the lack of anistropic filtering:

D47AX5J.jpg

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member
PS4 pro here.
about 6h in one playthrough (i got lost in it which is great)
It does not look bad at all but not much detailed. The art direction is tremendously fun though and i like it a lot, ruins of the old world with lots of bright colors (kinda like rage 2 but with talent and originality)
Combat is janky (there's a lack of "oumph" when hitting stuff and start up animation for enemy attacks is not telling enough for my taste), exploration is kinda rewarding but it might feel repetitive in the long run (ie the same type of stuff found in the same type of place). It was a good 6-7/10 and a game i knew i'd enjoy tremendously, until I found a little red beanie (like the infamous dude's one) to go with my leather jacket. My meerkrat looks real cute now i wanna pet it so 9/10

PS: They need to take care of the hud which is quite shitty as it is (damn questlog always visible on the left of the screen...), give us option to play hudless. They also need to give us monkey dna strand in character creation so i can play as my ninja bike riding self

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Quarter of Three gave it a 2/10

Kinda cool that they use the whole scale, but I doubt that this is anywhere close to being fair. 2/10 is Big Rigs or Superman 64 territory. At its worst Biomutant is perfectly playable.
Who the he;; is Quarter of Three? Do they just allow all sites to get games and submit reviews? Looks like another site that gives a low score in order to get clicks. This game is a lot of fun, colorful, unique and a great, ambitious first effort. I guess people want another Last of Us or another COD.

Honestly really interested in this game despite the reviews. A colorful open world with combat that’s DMC-inspired, mechs, and it has anthro characters that don’t make me cringe?

It seems like cool game to just chill out with, which I may need after I do my latest RE marathon.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Exactly what I expected, the dev talent just isn’t AAA, we knew this by their resumes. Hopefully they gain more experience and eventually get there though.
Who said it was AAA? What is wrong with AA? There are dozens (hundreds?) of mid tier games that are great. Small studios, gameplay janky at times but they still take risks on something new.

*Nightwing

Quick note on the HUD and narrator:

HUD targets can be changed to whatever quest you are doing and both can not only be turned off but are on slide bars in menu so you can make the HUD smaller and out of the way, and the narrator will interject less if it starts getting annoying without having to turn off all together. Option already built in to tailor it to your own liking but I’m sure they can change the default as a “fix”.

Who said it was AAA? What is wrong with AA? There are dozens (hundreds?) of mid tier games that are great. Small studios, gameplay janky at times but they still take risks on something new.

Looking through old previews and stuff, still not finding where anyone said this was the next multimillion dollar AAA title made by the most technically gifted people in the industry.... Nope all say made by a small passionate group. I seriously don’t get it either. I never thought I’d have to Stan for a game not because I like it and because of different opinions but because it triggers my OCD people insinuating factually false narratives like this was supposed to be a AAA next gen title

Last edited:

Mossybrew

After putting in about 3 hours last night I'm enjoying the game, really the only thing I don't care for in the narrator. I've got the slider all the way off but it doesn't matter, his presence is baked in to the game so he's still constantly piping up explaining stuff. I'd rather just experience and interpret the game firsthand without some guy constantly spelling shit out for me, but whatever, it's something I'll get used to I guess, at least his voice is pretty chill.

Phase

You know, just to see I looked up the score of a game I finished recently and loved - Onimusha: Warlords. Well, on metacritic It's rated a 67 with a 6.4 user score.

Just a nice reality check to get me to try out Biomutant.

GymWolf

That combat tho.

Haven't bought this yet, but every streamer I've watched in combat...oof.
The game doesn't like button mashing at all, until people doesn't understand that, nobody is gonna look good while fighting.

Sure we are far from a great combat system but it looks much worse if it doens't click with you.

Strange comparison but monster hunter is the same, until you don't understand the game you can win while looking like shit (another game that hates button mashing)

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
You know, just to see I looked up the score of a game I finished recently and loved - Onimusha: Warlords. Well, on metacritic It's rated a 67 with a 6.4 user score.

Just a nice reality check to get me to try out Biomutant.

never trust critics with re-released games like this. that's my experience.
I played it on Switch and had a blast with it.

NickFire

Kinda wonder if some reviewers are shitting in the game too much due to the whole ThqNordic / 8 chan debacle from years ago. Resetera pretty much spammed that shit into the ground a year ago where they kept saying they wont support this game
I won't discount the possibility of spiked reviews because of agendas. But if we're being fair, would there be nearly as much review criticism if there were other new gen games for people to play?

Phase

never trust critics with re-released games like this. that's my experience.
I played it on Switch and had a blast with it.
Oh okay. The original reviews are more in line with what I thought it deserved. I didn't have one problem with the game on PC lol.

Ev1L AuRoN

I quite like it. It's no masterpiece, but I find it very fun to play, granted I'm only 2 hours in. This game passed under my radar until now, I only got to play it because my brother bought it in our family share steam account.

Labadal

I've spent 6 hours with the game. It has some issues, but it's fun to play. Time just flew by without me noticing.

For now, I'd say this is a solid 7/10 game.

I can certainly say that I have enjoyed it a lot more than many big budget, open world games.

What I have issues with should not be impossible to fix in a possible patch or sequel.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I quite like it. It's no masterpiece, but I find it very fun to play, granted I'm only 2 hours in. This game passed under my radar until now, I only got to play it because my brother bought it in our family share steam account.
Hey, it's me, your long lost brother. I'll talk to our other brother later, but go ahead and just pop me on the family account, Mom said it was cool.

Phase

I've spent 6 hours with the game. It has some issues, but it's fun to play. Time just flew by without me noticing.

For now, I'd say this is a solid 7/10 game.

I can certainly say that I have enjoyed it a lot more than many big budget, open world games.

What I have issues with should not be impossible to fix in a possible patch or sequel.
See it's weird that people are saying there's a problem with the reviews being overly negative. Currently it's sitting at 67 after 52 reviews, which is almost 7/10. I think that's perfectly fine and probably what it deserves given the issues I'm hearing about, like lack of feedback in combat, some sound issues, janky cutscenes, characters seeming flat because everything's narrated by one guy, and the game being very repetitive without many meaningful side quests. With some issues fixed it's probably a solid 7.5. Nothing wrong with that.

Last edited:

GymWolf

See it's weird that people are saying there's a problem with the reviews being overly negative. Currently it's sitting at 67 after 52 reviews, which is almost 7/10. I think that's perfectly fine and probably what it deserves given the issues I'm hearing about, like lack of feedback in combat, some sound issues, janky cutscenes, characters seeming flat because everything's narrated by one guy, and the game being very repetitive without many meaningful side quests. With some issues fixed it's probably a solid 7.5. Nothing wrong with that.
I think they are talking about reviews with 2\10 or 4\10 scores...

Larxia

So... I'm a bit confused about the combats. I kept reading that it was apparently way too easy, even on hard, but somehow I'm quite struggling with it and it feels like something is wrong.
I'm playing with the saboteur class, but I still haven't really got better gear than what you start with, only added a few armor piece and one upgrade on the starter weapon, I don't know if that's normal or not.

Here's a little clip of a place where I died several times, I don't know, it takes quite a lot to kill level 3 ennemies (the combat started quite a bit before I began recording) and I'm level 6.
It really feels like I missed something because right now it's just weird.

Maybe that's just normal, but since the beginning something felt weird about my combats like if I really missed something, like unnecessary long / tedious, which seems to go against the general consensus that combats are way too easy.

GymWolf

So... I'm a bit confused about the combats. I kept reading that it was apparently way too easy, even on hard, but somehow I'm quite struggling with it and it feels like something is wrong.
I'm playing with the saboteur class, but I still haven't really got better gear than what you start with, only added a few armor piece and one upgrade on the starter weapon, I don't know if that's normal or not.

Here's a little clip of a place where I died several times, I don't know, it takes quite a lot to kill level 3 ennemies (the combat started quite a bit before I began recording) and I'm level 6.

Maybe that's just normal, but since the beginning something felt weird about my combats like if I really missed something, like unnecessary long / tedious, which seems to go against the general consensus that combats are way too easy.

Dude, be grateful that you are having some difficulty because you are probably gonna get super OP by mid game like in the majority of open worlds, it means that every upgrade and loot is gonna be more meaningful.

I started with the weakest (but funniest imo) class just to have some more challenge.

i watched like 30 sec and i can already advise you to kill the enemies with the guns first because they interrupt your combos and to not be soo inside the enemy groups to avoid getting gangbanged, kill the gunners and then stay on the outside, separe the enemies and lure only one enemy at the time, when the other get close just create more space and repeat, and use the parry when you are 1vs1 and it is easy to see the enemy attack indicator over their heads, use the parry then triangle or Y to make the enemy fly then follow with a combo of square and then finish with Y\triangle.

And use the magic\guns from the outside to soft the enemies health bars, leave the john who gun-fu shit for when you are gonna do more damage with your weapons, just stay basic.

I don't like this style but it is the more safe to use if you are having hard times.

sorry for the english.

Last edited:

Larxia

Dude, be grateful that you are having some difficulty because you are probably gonna get super OP by mid game like in the majority of open worlds, it means that every upgrade and loot is gonna be more meaningful.

I started with the weakest (but funniest imo) class just to have some more challenge.
It's not that i'm complaining about the "difficulty", but given that everyone, even journalists, are insisting on how easy this game is, I was wondering if I missed a feature or if I was supposed to have far better stats or something, because my experience is not really reflecting that.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs

When you paused to go to the wheel what were you using?

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
What does the whole 8chan thing have to do with the review scores?
I think because 8 chan is a 'bad' website that the snowflakes don't like and THQ did an AMA on it a couple years back either on purpose or not knowing that it wouldn't sit well with some. And now, years later all THQ published games are apparently blacklisted. Doesn't matter if the hundreds of developers that had nothing to do with that, in their eyes. Don't penalize the developers. These people need to chill out and let shit go.

GymWolf

It's not that i'm complaining about the "difficulty", but given that everyone, even journalists, are insisting on how easy this game is, I was wondering if I missed a feature or if I was supposed to have far better stats or something, because my experience is not really reflecting that.
Well maybe the journalists were talking about the game in general and not just the first hours.
But just to be clear, my tone was not accusatory, sorry if i give you the wrong impression.

I edited my post with some tips.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
You mean the gun? It's still the default one.

I read it but playing mostly with guns feel more repetitive and end up being more boring in my opinion, but it's indeed a lot safer. It feels like it's not perfectly balanced.
I mean what were you going into the wheel to use?

Been playing the game is not as bad as people making it out to be. The combat is good but bit on the easy side even on hard mode. It's a game made by 20 developer i don't know why people expecting AAA quality.

Last edited:
Comparing games of different genres is useless. So did Sonic Forces accomplish what it set out to do? If it did the score is warranted.
Sonic Forces is universally agreed to be a garbage game. The point is that Famitsu scores are basically meaningless (even compared to other sites). FFXIII-2, Death Stranding and Nintendogs all got a perfect 40/40.

Their scores seem to have no rhyme or reason.

Last edited:
Top Bottom