• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Biomutant review embargo ends 24th May, releases 25th May

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://opencritic.com/news/2356/biomutant-review-embargo-details

The review embargo for Biomutant ends on May 24 at 8 AM PT / 11 AM ET.

Seems to be a trend so far this gen with late embargoes.

Biomutant has the potential to become a hidden gem when it's released on May 25. The long-in-development game offers a wacky blend of open-world exploration, multiple forms of traversal, a deep martial arts combat system, and choice-driven storytelling – all led by your furry, gene-spliced hero.

j0hnnix

Gold Member
Happy Spongebob Squarepants GIF

Hoping this game surprises. Been waiting since 2017.

Last edited:

Humdinger

I'm not getting my hopes up about review scores. I expect reviewers to knock it for bugs, glitches, jank, and things that just don't work very well. I think that's to be expected, with a small team, big ambitions, and a large-scope new IP. I'm expecting it to average under 80. That won't stop me from getting it, of course.

I'll be paying attention to the reviews, though, to see what the problems are. We have had some positive previews, but previews are almost always positive, and they were hands-off, based on a scripted presentation. Reviews should help to pinpoint some of the issues.

I'm cautiously excited for this game, although I already have enough to enjoy atm so I'll be a late adopter if this ends up meeting expectations.

As long as the world is fun to explore and it runs well on current gen consoles (PS5), I'm in!

Reactions: Isa
The belief that a review embargo lifting very close to launch meaning the game is sub-par has long been proven false.

There's just as many hits with late embargos and duds with early embargos.

Azzurri

I might actually pick this up, as I'm not a fan of open world games, but something about this game has me interested.

mcjmetroid

I'm not getting my hopes up about review scores. I expect reviewers to knock it for bugs, glitches, jank, and things that just don't work very well. I think that's to be expected, with a small team, big ambitions, and a large-scope new IP. I'm expecting it to average under 80. That won't stop me from getting it, of course.

I'll be paying attention to the reviews, though, to see what the problems are. We have had some positive previews, but previews are almost always positive, and they were hands-off, based on a scripted presentation. Reviews should help to pinpoint some of the issues.
I'm thinking glitches could be it's downfall or uninspired side quests. Lack of mission variety.

Like you can ride vehicles and the combat looks great but I'm not seeing much mission variety.

Larxia

Looks like a poor man's Ratchet and that's me being polite.l
Ok and how does this make you think of Ratchet exactly?
Just because you're playing an animal character?

This game is an open world game focused on exploration and experimentation with a lot of gameplay variety. Lot of freedom, different traversal methods and mounts (flying, gliding, under water exploration, piloting a mech, jet ski etc...), mixed between gunfight and melee combo in a very action game style, and so on.

It has really nothing similar with ratchet. Ratchet is a linear platforming game, and I'm not saying this as a negative, but it's a totally different genre and game, they don't compare at all.

Honestly it makes me sad because this game seems super interesting and fresh, I'm really excited about it, it looks like a pure "gameplay" type of game, just about pure fun and gameplay discovery, but I constantly see comments about people who talk it down for no valid reason, just because it's not this, it's not that, it's not big enough, it's not a big AAA, Ratchet is better because it's a Sony game, and so on.

I'm pretty sure the game will flop, even if it's great, because of all the weird negativity, or at best, strong ignoring, of this game.

Even the OP sums it up correctly "Biomutant has the potential to become a hidden gem", yes, a hidden gem, it's like we all know what fate this game will meet. Potentially great but most likely ignored.

I mean it could end up being bad, we never know, but a lot of people don't seem willing to give it a chance.

Last edited:

Rikkori

It makes no sense to let the embargo earlier, that's the dumbest marketing move to make. People want to buy things when they see them & like 'em, if it's going to be available much later only then people will not bother as much and are likely to forget. Ideally I'd say you want embargo to lift just hours apart from release.

Looks like a poor man's Ratchet and that's me being polite.
No, it looks like a new game that's fun, not the same soup rehashed for 20 years but with prettier graphics.

Last edited:

Needlecrash

I'm starting to get excited about the game. I remember when this was first announced back in 2017 and there was a collectors edition immediately available for pre-order. I hope that this title wows me and hopefully I'll pick it up on pc.

dorkimoe

Generally I am pretty good at telling how good a game will be, but this one is a wildcard. I think the combat looks meh, but love the environment so I have to wait for reviews for this or impressions from gaf

R6Rider

Gold Member
Hoping this turns out great. The studio has some great ideas and it's a really small team that has worked on this for quite awhile.

LMJ

Can't lie, after seeing the PS4/Xbone and Pro and X footage, I'm genuinely hoping for a next gen version lol Hope there's a PRO/X graphics option because 1080 P at 60 FPS looks rough, let alone 1080 at 30 FPS

Man clear as day this game was raping the poor CPU's in last gen consoles...Such a downgrade in the vegetation, shadows, textures etc

In comparison PC at 4K and 60FPS

Last edited:

BabyYoda

Banned
I've followed this game since it was announced and have always liked the look of it, but something tells me it will get middling reviews and not sell all that well, hope I'm wrong.

Banned
Can't lie, after seeing the PS4/Xbone and Pro and X footage, I'm genuinely hoping for a next gen version lol Hope there's a PRO/X graphics option because 1080 P at 60 FPS looks rough, let alone 1080 at 30 FPS

Man clear as day this game was raping the poor CPU's in last gen consoles...Such a downgrade in the vegetation, shadows, textures etc

In comparison PC at 4K and 60FPS

did they say anything about any enhancements for new consoles?

KungFucius

King Snowflake
never good when an embargo ends the day before a release
Why? Shouldn't they be able to market it the way they want to? Having reviews drop just when the game is available seems like something you'd want to do for free, well timed, publicity.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Honestly it makes me sad because this game seems super interesting and fresh, I'm really excited about it, it looks like a pure "gameplay" type of game, just about pure fun and gameplay discovery, but I constantly see comments about people who talk it down for no valid reason, just because it's not this, it's not that, it's not big enough, it's not a big AAA, Ratchet is better because it's a Sony game, and so on.
I feel you on that. I'm also tired of people shitting on games that are 3rd party and not exclusive. There are much better games out there that are 3rd party for sure.

I'm pretty sure the game will flop, even if it's great, because of all the weird negativity, or at best, strong ignoring, of this game.
Yup. I understand that too. I'll be picking it up just because I like the concept and the art direction is very good. It is what it is.

Even the OP sums it up correctly "Biomutant has the potential to become a hidden gem", yes, a hidden gem, it's like we all know what fate this game will meet. Potentially great but most likely ignored.
It's too bad because some people really like the non-popular games.

Last edited:

fermcr

Review embargos are stupid. Gaming magazines/sites shouldn't accept it.
If a game is sent to someone for review, then it should be without restrictions. Let the person play the game and release the review whenever he/she is done with it.

If I worked for a gaming magazine/site and a game come with a review embargo, I would play the game and never release the review...

BTW, implementing a review embargo for the day before release date, is not usually a good sign.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
...wait, there's no PS5 version at launch?

No PS5 nor Xbox Series X|S, so waiting for PS5 version before buying it.

I feel you on that. I'm also tired of people shitting on games that are 3rd party and not exclusive. There are much better games out there that are 3rd party for sure.

Yup. I understand that too. I'll be picking it up just because I like the concept and the art direction is very good. It is what it is.

It's too bad because some people really like the non-popular games.

I think it's a wonderful game from what I've seen, and can't wait for current gen patches.

Last edited:

dorkimoe

eh. The problem i have is that playing a game in 60 then dropping to play one in 30 makes it seem worse than it is...so i may wait and see if they plan on patching 60fps...really no reason at all not to

Man, that's some cheezy gameplay. Changed my mind, I'll skip it for now.

Hah yeah. Wasn't a good showing. PC one looked a bit better but I can't tell if its just the player or the combat that's bad with how all over the place it is. We'll see

Probably gonna go down as eurojank non the less

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Happy that it's the day before. Already pre-ordered it at GameStop but if it ends up being bad, I can know it beforehand. With that said, im hoping it's good and will be happy if it gets in the mid to high 70's.

graywolf323

everything I've seen has me intrigued but wanting to wait for a sale on this game, reviews could push me to pick it up at launch though but I kinda doubt it

there's just too much else coming out right now >_<

Phase

I'm excited for this one, but I'll wait for a sale regardless. Any issues it may have will be fixed. I'm expecting high 70's to low 80's score.

PC purchase for sure.

Top Bottom