• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Biomutant still in development, developer confirms

Mista

Banned
biomutant-vasarlas.jpeg

Developer Experiment 101 has shared a message regarding the long-silent open-world action RPG Biomutant, which has not seen any new media since a trailer in December 2018 (not counting the special editions announced in August 2019).

Here is the message in full:
We know that many of you are wondering if the game is still in development. Let us assure you that we’ve never been working harder and more focused on it than now!

We are doing everything we can to make this the best game all of us have ever worked on and that it will be as entertaining and great as we can possibly make it.

We can only hope for your continued support and patience as we complete the final stages of its development.

As some of you might understand or know, the work involved in finishing a game is long, challenging, and unpredictable. The sheer magnitude, size, and length of Biomutantadds to said effort.

We will reveal the release date as soon as everyone at our studio feels confident about hitting that date and that the game is ready for it.

Again, thank you for your understanding and for your continued support and enthusiasm for our game.

From us at Experiment 101.

Additionally, Experiment 101 parent company and Biomutant publisher THQ Nordic shared its own message:
The never ending question when Biomutant will be released is still owed to all fans out there. The reality is that the team is small, around 20 people, so the finalization takes longer than with a larger team. THQ Nordic will announce the release date when they are certain they will be able to release a product that can live up to expectations.
Gematsu

Herr Edgy

Just 20 people?

Damn. This is one of the super rare games that I'm actually interested in. Maybe that just proves that my personal alignment is with 'double A' games? Not a small cute-sy indie game without the budget to pull off something fairly big in scope, not a bloated AAA game with focus on tech/cinematic quality to appeal to the mass instead of the game design to do something artistically solid, but a unique vision and the focus in the right place.

Mista

Banned
Just 20 people?

Damn. This is one of the super rare games that I'm actually interested in. Maybe that just proves that my personal alignment is with 'double A' games? Not a small cute-sy indie game without the budget to pull off something fairly big in scope, not a bloated AAA game with focus on tech/cinematic quality to appeal to the mass instead of the game design to do something artistically solid, but a unique vision and the focus in the right place.
I was surprised to know the studio only has 20 employees. Played the alpha a year ago in out local gaming convention and the game was fun!

Herr Edgy

I was surprised to know the studio only has 20 employees. Played the alpha a year ago in out local gaming convention and the game was fun!
That's cool, anything in particular that you thought stood out? I watched some videos of it and found many of their choices intruiging, but I also didn't analyze it in-depth (those days are over I guess lol).
Two years ago at Gamescom I could have played it but there were too many people around, even on trade visitor day.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I am not sure why should I be interested in this. Just seen some jumping/sword fighting animal so far? The marketing for this is non existent

Mista

Banned
That's cool, anything in particular that you thought stood out? I watched some videos of it and found many of their choices intruiging, but I also didn't analyze it in-depth (those days are over I guess lol).
Two years ago at Gamescom I could have played it but there were too many people around, even on trade visitor day.
Nothing out of this world but the whole package was great. How you start weak and work all the way up to being powerful

The skills you unlock are good and you can mix them up with other skills to create massive damage and AoE

This game is going to be fun Incan guarantee you that but it’ll be nothing out of this world

Whoever expects this game is going to be something then my advice is to stay away from it. It is a unique game though I’ll give it that.

Mista

Banned
Why is anyone in this thread then? I am really curious as to why people follow this project?
All I remember is that it was leaked few years ago... and that's it
Because its a thread for the people that are actually interested in this game? If someone is interested in something you don’t, you don’t have the right to question them. You’re always complaining anyways so I don’t really know if you like anything to begin with.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Because its a thread for the people that are actually interested in this game? If someone is interested in something you don’t, you don’t have the right to question them. You’re always complaining anyways so I don’t really know if you like anything to begin with.
This is a load of bullshit. How is this a thread only for interested people?
I don't know if I am interested yet !

Mista

Banned
This is a load of bullshit. How is this a thread only for interested people?
I don't know if I am interested yet !
How don’t you know? Haven’t followed anything about the game? They talked about it and showed it too!

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
How don’t you know? Haven’t followed anything about the game? They talked about it and showed it too!
Well... it looked kinda interesting just based on the art design in leaked footage. Kinda old school... so maybe I am interested ? :p

Humdinger

Glad to hear they're still plugging away. My theory is that the initial feedback they got -- which wasn't all that positive -- caused them to go back to the drawing board in some ways, and this is partly responsible for the delay, along with the small team size. I have no real idea, of course. I'm just speculating.

Actually, I'm probably wishing, too. I liked part of what I saw (unique game, emphasis on fun, lighthearted style, animals), parts of it also put me off -- namely the narrator's voice and the overly busy/cartooney visuals during combat. I'm hoping that they took some time to tweak those aspects.

Last edited:

Nero_PR

Banned
Well... it looked kinda interesting just based on the art design in leaked footage. Kinda old school... so maybe I am interested ? :p
Make up your mind friend! You are better than that. I know you can find the information need, or ask Mista Mista haha. There is some gameplay footage on youtube too. Reserve some time and give it a look later, that's the best advice I can give you. Maybe it picks your interest after that.

I am not sure why should I be interested in this. Just seen some jumping/sword fighting animal so far? The marketing for this is non existent
Mutant cats, man. If that doesn't interests you, well I don't know what to say.

Anyway thanks OP for this info, good to see it's still in development. I was afraid this might be ghost cancelled and forgoten.

-Troid-

Banned
It looked interesting; I just hope they don't decide to shift it to next gen development because most games in development hell that go through that turn out shit. Just finish it and make it a swan song AA hidden gem for this gen.

Aion002

It's awesome that they are taking time with it, so many rushed early access games these days. I hope that the gameplay is smooth, because the only thing that I am afraid about it is a clumsy gameplay.

Mista

Banned
It looked interesting; I just hope they don't decide to shift it to next gen development because most games in development hell that go through that turn out shit. Just finish it and make it a swan song AA hidden gem for this gen.
The studio actually containing only 20 employees will make that tough to happen

GHG

Gold Member

Sad times when you need marketing to get excited about something.

There's plenty of material out there for you to decide if you should be interested in the game or not. You shouldn't need to be told to be interested.

Zannegan

Just 20 people?

The game always looked a little low-budget/rough around the edges to me. Now I see why.

Weirdly though, this has stoked my interest in the game. Rather than being the product of a 500-man team that has arisen out of market analysis and focus-testing, is feels more like a passion project for a small studio trying to make it big. It gives me hope that this might actually bring some new concepts to to the table.

I'm thinking I'll give it a shot now.

Herr Edgy

Nothing out of this world but the whole package was great. How you start weak and work all the way up to being powerful

The skills you unlock are good and you can mix them up with other skills to create massive damage and AoE

This game is going to be fun Incan guarantee you that but it’ll be nothing out of this world

Whoever expects this game is going to be something then my advice is to stay away from it. It is a unique game though I’ll give it that.
This is exactly what I want: I don't need out of the world games because they don't exist - I want unique rather than 'perfect', because 'perfect' is an objective metric and therefore only points towards games that are big regarding production value.
I'm not interested (much) in production value, because throughout my time as a gamer I found that perfect is the enemy of interesting. It's how flawed characters are inherently more interesting than perfect cutboard heroes, because their personalities give context to their actions and vice versa. Perfect means predictable, and gaming attracted me because it showed me things I didn't think of in ways I didn't think of.

I want a well made (production value plays a role after all, hence my "not an indie" part in my previous post) unique game.

SantaC

Just 20 people?

Game started out with 4 people working on it.

Herr Edgy

Game started out with 4 people working on it.
That's not so weird though for preproduction. Founders gotta found at some point, and you don't typically have that many people when you are just starting out. At least 4 makes perfect sense if there's only about 20 of them now.
What they did and are doing now is honestly my goal at some point after uni. Gain some skills, found with your reliable and battle-proven industry friends, establish yourself. :messenger_halo:

WolfusFh

It seemed like a very fun game to me. I thought it had been canceled. I just hope they can give us a fun action game.

20 people? Dang! The e3 trailer in 2018 made look like an enormous game. Been given a long time and 20 people or not a lot can get done.

Top Bottom