• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bionic Commando 2D Remake: Preview and Vid

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I have to say it didn't look that special in screens, but seeing the trailer changed a lot! Animations are impressive, it moves so smooth...I always thought the gameplay/controls of the original was stale and clunky (like many games from that era, looking back) but this looks like a huge upgrade in that department. Co-op is also cool, shame about off-line only. :/

Artadius

mnfpicard.jpg

LaneDS

Oh man the volume got raised so quickly while watching this vid. Awesome.

Edit: That made my eyes water up with nerdy happiness, which does not happen often. That is so flipping incredible.

Kirk

Sweet. Forget the XTreme Dreddlokked next-gen 3D crap, this is where it's at...and hopefully at bargain-basement DLC prices ($10?) too.

Aaron said:
Why do games have offline co-op and no online? I can see it other way around for the more intensive games, but this makes zero sense. Damn, Streets of Rage 2 had online co-op and this can't? Crazy.

It's about resources. Adding online to a game is quite a lot of work. Though for a huge developer like Capcom it shouldn't be a real issue.

Vrolokus

Banned
Maybe this is sad, but the BC remake is now the '08 game I'm most looking forward to.

And as long as "Master-D" still looks like Hitler, I'm fine with them keeping the localized version. To the devs: make the NES version unlockable, and it's perfect.

Happy happy happy.

LaneDS

I'm such a whore for the original that I'm that much more likely to pick up the 3D one just for the original character (who people constantly call Super Joe, and are constantly wrong about) being unlockable.

That and I think the 3D one has a lot of potential to begin with. Knowing Capcom is respecting their roots I'm on-board 100% now.

SPEA

Is the co-op mode online?

Originally, Bionic Commando Rearmed was developed to be a single player experience. The engine, tools, and programming were all built with this concept in mind. However, as production moved forward, developer Grin decided to try out adding a second player into the game. Not only did it work really well, but it added a lot of value to the game, so we started talking about adding online co-op. Unfortunately, by this time, the production had moved along too far and the entire game would have had to been rebuilt just to add this feature.

We know the fans will be disappointed by the lack of inclusion of online co-op but rather than adopting a policy of "what you don't know can't hurt you" by cutting the co-op altogether, we have kept it in the hope that fans will be able to appreciate the added content that wasn't even originally planned. Still, this game is supposed to be for the fans, so we have added in some very cool new modes that have yet to be revealed. Hopefully, when you see those, you'll realize just how great a bargain Bionic Commando Rearmed really is!

http://www.bioniccommando.com/en/blog_entries/view/42

Souther

Banned
Looks awesome!!! Holy Shit.

This will be the greatest thing to hit XboxLive and PSN in 2008

Damn though...I wish they wouldn't have taken out the nazi's though.

Also hitler with a modified gun that shoots out HDDVD's should be the final boss.

So, So awesome.

The original is one of my favorite games of all time.

I only ever played the NES version so I won't miss them calling him "Hitler" but it was pretty obvious, even back then, that we were dealing with renamed Nazis.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Looks incredible. Some awesome downloadable games this year: Rez HD, Ikaruga, Castle Crashers, N+, this, more I'm forgetting probably. Downloadable titles are my favorite thing of this gen

btw remakes like this should be done even more often. Make the classics easily accessible for the younger generation

v0yce

Wow, that looks great. Can't wait.

Dante said:
:lol Looks more fun then the full 3d version.

Why do you guys say that? Aside from the (really lousy) lead design, the vids they've shown so far look really promising.

Is it just because Capcom proper isn't developing it?

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I'm going to interview the creative director in a couple of days btw, if there's anything really important anyone wants to know, let me know and I'll ask him.

I'm pretty much just going to echo everyone else, graphics are a bit meh, but the trailer sells it. Great animation and it looks like a lot of fun. I'm going wait for some hands on impressions before I get too excited, but so far me wantie.

Just get that co-op online, guys.

border

Kiriku said:
I'm going to interview the creative director in a couple of days btw, if there's anything really important anyone wants to know, let me know and I'll ask him.
When is this coming out? :D

ToxicAdam

Hopefully we get early word on a PC version. Because this game alone would by my tipping point where I buy a 360.

These are the kinds of remakes I was hoping XBLA would turn out.

hiryu

Looks pretty awesome. I hope the Commando remake for live and psn looks just as good. I second the avatar sized gif request.

Top Bottom