• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock demo impressions SPOILERS (also Bioshock leaked at Toys R Us)

Status
Not open for further replies.

newsguy

So are electiricity and pyro the only 2 in the demo? I believe in one of the other 50 threads someone mentioned there being 4 plasmids. I got these 2, but judging by the narration it seems these are the only 2 in the demo.

ice cream said:
bioshockTEHawesome.jpg

Someone should redo this with a 50ies style font.

Eric WK

newsguy said:
So are electiricity and pyro the only 2 in the demo? I believe in one of the other 50 threads someone mentioned there being 4 plasmids. I got these 2, but judging by the narration it seems these are the only 2 in the demo.

Correct. It's just those two.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Okay. Sounds like 70 "Gene Tonics" and he references "low level electricity" so there's probably 20 powers with varying power levels. Still. Achievement Unlocked.
Over on the official forums they said there are 53 gene tonics (including upgrades) and 20 plasmids (including upgrades.) I'm not sure how accurate that info is, though.

Y2Kev said:
Wonderkins, I'm stealing that for use in my next paper.

Rand's "morality" system is often contradictory and incoherent. I'm extremely glad Levine's team sort-of tackled objectivism, and it is even sweeter to see Randian groupies losing their shit because the game's premise is "impossible."
:lol It's yours!

You hit on one of the reasons I'm thrilled that this game has come along. This game has me in thrall for these, and other, reasons:

* The design period they chose to place the world in. Art-deco is sublime, and I don't mind using that word in a video games forum.

* We will be tackling the incoherence in Rand's ideology, but also choosing our own path through it. What intrigues me most is that many people espouse her ideas without realizing that some wonk gave it a big, scary intellectual name: Objectivism. Me, I call it a basic indifference abstracted so that the Randian-intelligentsia can rationalize away their pettiness. Hopefully, a video game will enliven people to see the impracticality of organizing a society according to her ideal. Even if it is exaggerated and placed in a realm of plasmids and Splicers! And Big Daddies! And Little Sisters!

* The game just plays masterfully.

I love platformers (the cuter, the better), I love all racing games, shooters are a "yes, please" proposition, and a special mention to LittleBigPlanet... But Bioshock presents a unified vision lacking in most video games.

Or, the shorter version, BIOSHOCK!

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Is this game not supposed to be out yet? I just bought it at Toys R Us. Seems they only had the regular, non-collector's edition though.

1118890995_27b26149a3.jpg

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
You lucky SOB :lol

Though I'm buying the LE,it still upsets me you found it early :(

maynerd

Banned
Anyone not like the demo? I'm trying to hold out playing the demo and reading too much. I am so so on wanting this game but I traded in some things at gamestop and there it was staring at me so I just said ok I'll put my trade in value on the game. Am I making a good decision?

dskillzhtown said:
Is this game not supposed to be out yet? I just bought it at Toys R Us. Seems they only had the regular, non-collector's edition though.

fuckin'bioshockinabox.gif

Hax! You're fucking with us.

Cursed Europe!

dskillzhtown said:

Don't fucking kid with me!!! Oh shit I'm on my way to Toys R Us now!!! :lol

Sombody please confirm :D

DrBo42

dskillzhtown said:

I detect epic LIES. Gamertag & proof NOWWWWWWW.

Gowans

dskillzhtown said:

After seeing this the 9days to the UK release just seemed so much longer :(

Damn you!

Congrats man!

Ponn

Banned
dskillzhtown said:

or you work somewhere with placeholder cases

MMaRsu

Banned
dskillzhtown said:

KILL HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Salazar

Lostconfused said:
I have a special place in my heart for Terry Goodkind or at least when i hear his name i think warm fiery thoughts of him.

http://sandstormreviews.blogspot.com/2006/08/goodkind-parodies.html

There is possibly no sillier or creepier writer in business - People who are motivated by their appreciation of Bioshock to seek out Objectivist fiction (dear God why) should (after a cooling off period) check out the plot highlights and quotes from Terry's works. It's funny until you realise that people take it seriously - then, when you think about it, it becomes funny again.

Fusebox

Banned
A mate of mine described his play experience, he essentially went "okay right wierd environment" then ran in, grabbed the guns, shot everything and ran to the exit.

He missed the planes tail, the big daddy killing the guy, lots of the dialogue, the plummeting elevator, basically ALL the good stuff.

When I played it it felt like I WAS in a '50s plane crash and I was just spinning out at where I'd found myself - by wandering around slowly to check out my environment and read all the ads and stuff I got really great views of all the triggered events, and instead of the usual "okay kill everything" gameplay I was even concerned about killing the first few people I came across. The game is pure genius.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
I'm finding it hard to believe someone who already has an XBox Live gamer tag would

A) Not know the game is not supposed to be out, and

B) Purchase an XBox Elite.

Amir0x

Banned
dskillzhtown said:

I AM MORE JEALOUS OF YOU THAN I HAVE EVER BEEN OF ANOTHER HUMAN IN MY LIFE

(if it's real)

Guys, why are you spoiling the game by playing the demo? Why don't you be cool like me and wait for the game?
Actually I can't download the demo because my network is down :(

Danielsan

dskillzhtown said:

So you went as far to print out the cover and put it in a 360 dvdcase... clever

It better be fake or I'll kill you.

Amir0x

Banned
GreekWolf said:
WHAT?? You traitor. I'll remember this come November when it's all MASS EFFECT GOTY:FACT

i am sorry but there have been changing of the guards here!

I purchased a Wii for Metroid Prime III, but the awesomeness of Super Mario Galaxy has made it secondary!

Likewise, Bioshock is such a generation defining event, that it has made Mass Effect second tier!

Still, I cannot wait to play that game too but my jealously would be limited there now sry :(

Salazar said:
http://sandstormreviews.blogspot.com/2006/08/goodkind-parodies.html

There is possibly no sillier or creepier writer in business - People who are motivated by their appreciation of Bioshock to seek out Objectivist fiction (dear God why) should (after a cooling off period) check out the plot highlights and quotes from Terry's works. It's funny until you realise that people take it seriously - then, when you think about it, it becomes funny again.

Dear sir i thank you for that link, i am sure it will provide me with hours of joy as i read it. The only way i could be happier is if i had a copy of bioshock and didn't have to read any of the silly crap that the man wrote in the first place.

FFChris

Fusebox said:
A mate of mine described his play experience, he essentially went "okay right wierd environment" then ran in, grabbed the guns, shot everything and ran to the exit.

He missed the planes tail, the big daddy killing the guy, lots of the dialogue, the plummeting elevator, basically ALL the good stuff.

Honestly, I can think of a few of my gamer friends who will play the game like that. First time I played it I walked onto the lighthouse and turned to watch the plane sinking into the water. Fantastic atmosphere, everywhere you go feels so unique, I never wanted the demo to end.

Edit: Seems it's not only the PAL version which has the 'Only on Xbox 360 and PC' logo.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Campster said:
I'm finding it hard to believe someone who already has an XBox Live gamer tag would

A) Not know the game is not supposed to be out, and

B) Purchase an XBox Elite.

Seeing as my Premium is sitting at a repair shop, I went out and bought an Elite today. Been in all the broken 360 threads talking about it. So I haven't been on in a couple of weeks. Maybe this will prove it to you doubting Thomases -

1119039499_e27c3a5d83.jpg

Or better yet, look at my gamertag in a couple of hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom