• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock Infinite delayed (February 26th, 2013)

Kifimbo

Nuke if old.

BioShock® Infinite Now Planned for February 2013
NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--2K Games announced today that BioShock® Infinite from Irrational Games is now planned to launch worldwide on February 26, 2013.

Ken Levine, Creative Director of Irrational Games, stated, “When we announced the release date of BioShock Infinite in March, we felt pretty good about the timing. Since then, we’ve uncovered opportunities to make Infinite into something even more extraordinary. Therefore, to give our talented team the time they need to deliver the best Infinite possible, we’ve decided to move the game’s release to February.”

About BioShock Infinite

BioShock Infinite, developed by Irrational Games, won over 75 editorial awards at E3 2011, including the Game Critics Awards’ Best of Show.

In this first-person shooter, the player assumes the role of former Pinkerton agent Booker DeWitt, who is sent to Columbia to rescue Elizabeth, a young woman imprisoned there since childhood. He develops a relationship with Elizabeth, augmenting his abilities with hers so they may escape from a city literally falling from the sky. DeWitt learns to fight foes in high-speed Sky-Line battles, engage in combat both indoors and amongst the clouds, and harnesses the power of dozens of new weapons and abilities.

BioShock Infinite is in development for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and Windows-based PC, and is not yet rated by the ESRB.

For more information on BioShock Infinite please visit http://www.bioshockinfinite.com.

Shurs

Xghu7.gif

Sendou

Bioshock Infinite is a game that I REALLY want to be succesful so they can take all the time they want.

Omikaru

Well, one of the only games I wanted this year has been shunted back.

However, I ain't mad. Starting an MA at around that time so I'll be broke and have no time to play much.

Vire

What the fuck? Really?...

Why such a huge delay? Are they scared of AC3 hitting in October?

Thanks for ruining my day. :(

Ken Levine said:
Creative Director of Irrational Games, stated, “When we announced the release date of BioShock Infinite in March, we felt pretty good about the timing. Since then, we’ve uncovered opportunities to make Infinite into something even more extraordinary. Therefore, to give our talented team the time they need to deliver the best Infinite possible, we’ve decided to move the game’s release to February.”

I really hope this doesn't mean they delayed it to add in multiplayer.

gogojira

Oh well, I already have plenty to play. I'm beyond the point of caring about delays, especially if the game is better for it.

Empty

that's disappointing. it was handily my most anticipated game with a set release date.

weird how this game has taken over five years to make.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
They only recently started hiring more people for their multiplayer team so I imagine that's taking a while to finish given that we still haven't seen it.

Irrational Job Page said:
Programming: Network Programmer

The BioShock Infinite team bets big on everything we do — we strive to be careful about the problems we tackle, innovative in our approach, solid in our implementation, and we polish the heck out of everything we do. Networking is no exception. Right now we’re looking for an talented and experienced individual to help us with the networking aspects of BioShock Infinite. This position will require a combination of initiative, leadership, design, coding, and daily problem solving on multiple target platforms.

If you have the skills and passion for world-class network-connected experiences like BioShock then why not come join a team that has the track record, the autonomy, and the time to do it right?

Universal Responsibility:

We expect people to seek out all relevant information on their subject and be able to respond to spontaneous inquiries on that subject.

Responsibilities:

Work with the team who created BioShock network code
Advising engineers on how to properly architect their systems for optimal networking
Extending and enhancing Unreal Engine 3 with proprietary networking tech to address gameplay, performance, platform, production, tools, and QA needs
Interfacing with Microsoft, Sony, and other providers about platform-specific services
Working with the Technical Director, Lead Programmers, and IT Director to plan and execute major changes to client-side technology and back-end services
Responsible for delivering a robust, scalable, and responsive client-side networking support on the PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 platforms

Qualifications:

Shipped at least one commercial network-connected game title, preferably on a console
Familiarity with TCP/IP, UDP, and in depth knowledge of game networking models
Deep understanding of strategies for data replication and bandwidth/latency optimization
Excellent C++ proficiency and software engineering intuition
Excellent interpersonal skills, desire to mentor other engineers, and ability to adapt to rapidly-changing requirements

Things that would really make you stand out:

Extensive understanding of Unreal Engine networking
Experience with XBox Live Server Pages, Title Managed Storage, and/or the Sony equivalents
Previous experience developing network back-end support on multi-console title with support for matchmaking, stat tracking and analysis, in-game push updates, etc.
Source: http://irrationalgames.com/studio/careers-at-irrational/

GAF's favorite potential delay reason. ^_^

Well that fuckin' sucks. Was looking forward to this one the most out of anything announced to come out this year. Guess it's okay as long as it makes it a better game.

wrowa

That's a shame. It was one of the most interesting releases this year (and I only say "one of" due to the possibility that I might be forgetting something -- I can't think of a more interesting game right now).

sky

Since then, we’ve uncovered opportunities to make Infinite into something even more extraordinary. Therefore, to give our talented team the time they need to deliver the best Infinite possible, we’ve decided to move the game’s release to February

Nice spin!
lol.gif

Translation: We kept adding more and more and more features, and now we need to crunch hard in order to get it all working.

Hixx

This fucking sucks.

However I was beginning to worry about how expensive q4 was going to be so this isn't completely unwelcome.

Antioch

I'm OK with this, Q4 was getting too crowded, even when not considering Wii U.

The exact same thing happened with Bioshock 2.

Ominym

Banned
Not a surprise, but definitely a bummer. Was really looking forward to getting this sooner rather than later.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
when the game was first announced they said 2013 so not suprised

TriGen

Thank God. October was getting WAY too crowded.

I feel the same way. There are a lot of games coming out, plus I need to get a Wii U on top of that, this helps the wallet for sure. Also I prefer for devs to realize their full vision, rather then release a half-done rushed game.

Top Bottom