• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Cystm

Best if viewed in vanilla NeoGAF theme.
Listen to the game's soundtrack while browsing, if you like.

| Pre-Release Thread | |OT1| |

Thread Rules:

The standard rules of NeoGAF apply. Use your judgment. For the foreseeable future, NO SPOILERS will be permitted without the proper formatting.
Here are the tags:
iwi7dv7r8VwGh.png

What constitutes a spoiler?: major events, character deaths, plot twists, the game’s ending, speculation following your playthrough, and so forth.
Err on the side of caution. Again, use your acumen. Most of this is common sense: be respectful, be mindful, and don’t do anything cretinous.
Disagreements are going happen, and that’s fine, as long as they don’t escalate into being belligerent.

The spoiler thread is located at this link: here

Have fun and enjoy!

iSG54Si0cS0JZ.png

Title: BioShock Infinite
Developer: Irrational Games
Publisher: 2K Games

Worldwide Release date: March 26th, 2013.
ESRB: M; PEGI: 18.
iAi1tXgOxpXNK.png

| Printable Alternate Covers | GAF Custom Covers | Steam Grid View Icons |

iQfo382ZXj8O8.png

Premium Edition $79.99 SRP

• The BioShock Infinite game
  • A 3-inch baby version keychain of the sold-out Murder of Crows vigor bottle replica, hand-painted and distressed, and features a sturdy brass ring.
  • A 5 x 7-inch lithograph of a real-life piece of propaganda from BioShock Infinite by Jorge Lacera.
  • A 25 millimeter, resin-cast Handyman miniature figure from the upcoming BioShock Infinite board game by Plaid Hat Games, makers of Summoner Wars.
  • A 64-page collectible mini art book, full of BioShock Infinite concept art and commentary, with a hand-distressed linen cover.
  • Downloadable content:
    • Exclusive in-game gear
    • Bull Rush
    • Extra! Extra!
    • Betrayer
  • Digital soundtrack featuring music from BioShock Infinite and is exclusive to the Premium and Ultimate Songbird editions.
  • Platform specific downloadable content:
    • Exclusive avatar costumes of Booker and Elizabeth for Xbox 360
    • BioShock Infinite themes for PC and PlayStation 3
  • Available for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC.

Ultimate Songbird Edition $149.99 SRP

• A resin-cast Songbird statue measuring 9.75 inches and comes with its own collectible packaging.
  • The BioShock Infinite game
  • A 3-inch baby version keychain of the sold-out Murder of Crows vigor bottle replica, hand-painted and distressed, and features a sturdy brass ring.
  • A 5 x 7-inch lithograph of a real-life piece of propaganda from BioShock Infinite by Jorge Lacera.
  • A 25 millimeter, resin-cast Handyman miniature figure from the upcoming BioShock Infinite board game by Plaid Hat Games, makers of Summoner Wars.
  • A 64-page collectible mini art book, full of BioShock Infinite concept art and commentary, with a hand-distressed linen cover.
  • Downloadable content:
    • Exclusive in-game gear
    • Bull Rush
    • Extra! Extra!
    • Betrayer
  • Digital soundtrack featuring music from BioShock Infinite and is exclusive to the Premium and Ultimate Songbird editions.
  • Platform specific downloadable content:
    • Exclusive avatar costumes of Booker and Elizabeth for Xbox 360
    • BioShock Infinite themes for PC and PlayStation 3
  • Available for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC.
  • Both editions will be available in the U.S.A, Europe, Asia, and Australia.

ihcC5YFT9Erz.png

"The mind of the subject will desperately struggle to create memories where none exist..."

-Barriers To Trans-Dimensional Travel,
R. Lutece, 1889

The year is 1912. Booker DeWitt, an ex-Pinkerton agent and former soldier, has been tasked with ascending to a city in the sky: Columbia. Led by Zachary Hale Comstock
(referred to as “Father Comstock”), Columbia is an airborne “haven” nestled in the bosom of Americana, Exceptionalism, and Fundamentalism.

DeWitt’s impetus is simple: find the mysterious woman, Elizabeth, bring her to New York and absolve himself of the arcane debt.

Under the auspices his mission would be simple, Booker finds himself in the midst of a revolt, spurred on by the rebellious Vox Populi against The Founders, the city’s eponymous progenitors.

With Elizabeth’s enigmatic guardian and protector Songbird in tow, Booker must fend off scores of threats while uncovering the many mysteries surrounding the city in the sky.

The Characters

iK9LItQCYmCE2.png

iVWcQaw5vYDN0.png

ibi3D4YvTpEUxY.png

ibaiFWFtgAj8oG.png

ibctJydP7d4Roq.png

ibhOhy2L2L4zap.png

Spoilers

ibtgtGhd4m0vht.png

BioShock Infinite Marketing Blitz

Do you feel prepared to ascend up to Columbia? March 26th, 2013. Charge your controllers (360 players), make sure your console’s firmware is up-to-date (PS3 owners), make any last
minute upgrades (PC master race folks), and take a look at the bevy of marketing material released by Irrational and 2K games.

The Debut Trailer

August 11th, 2010. In July of the same year, a mysterious website populated itself on to the stratosphere of the Internet with the question, “What is Icarus?” Various outlets were invited to a
press event to learn what Irrational’s “Project Icarus” really was: BioShock Infinite.

Meant to only convey the kernels of the first BioShock game, exploration and improvisation in a unique microcosm, BioShock Infinite can be viewed as a new intellectual property from
2K and Irrational.

Take a look at the proof concept trailer:

Since unveiling BioShock Infinite, Irrational Games has released a panoply of fine videos for you to view. We’ve kindly assorted them below.

Trailers
Spoilers

Keep an eye on this thread and Irrational Game's Youtube channel for additional videos.

iRjVCaeWItfHL.png

For a fascinating profile on the creative director of BioShock, System Shock 2, and BioShock Infinite, please peruse through the following: Ken Levine and the Infinite Idaho.

"I remember we were struggling with it back in the beginning and I went for a run one day and it was super sunny out. It was one of those brilliantly blue, sunny perfect days.
And I remember looking at the sun and the color of the light and looking at a mailbox, and the reflection of the light on this black mailbox and how it looked. It was one of
those perfect moments, like one I wished I could put in a bottle. And I'm like ‘Oh my gosh, that's what Columbia is!’ It is this sky color, it is this world, it is the memory of
America that people think existed, but never really actually quite existed."

-Ken Levine

inlzHaW1du8nU.png

Previews / Interviews
Spoilers

Exhaustive list of all interviews and previews.

Screenshots:
iKNXnmyqf2v1O.png

iJg9TagN5YK5t.png

ib2HSFX2vYNBNz.png

Screenshot Gallery.

iXLXCr2fgBYY6.png

Bioshock Infinite - Review Thread

iNFAVXR4LqzNk.png

Last updated: May 8, 2013. Should there be a different answer better suited for a question, please feel free to mention it in the thread.

Does the PlayStation 3 version of Infinite come bundled with BioShock?

Yes. PS3 users should see an icon for BioShock 1 load in the XMB in conjunction with BioShock Infinite upon inserting the Blu-ray disc.

Will my PC be able to play BioShock Infinite?

• BioShock Infinite Minimum PC requirements:
    • Processor: Intel Core 2 DUO 2.4 GHz / AMD Athlon X2 2.7 GHz
    • Memory: 2 GB
    • Hard Drive: 20 GB free
    • Video Card: DirectX10 Compatible ATI Radeon HD 3870 / NVIDIA 8800 GT / Intel HD 3000 Integrated Graphics
    • Video Card Memory: 512 MB
    • Sound Card: DirectX Compatible

• BioShock Infinite Recommended PC requirements:
    • Processor: Quad Core Processor
    • Memory: 4 GB
    • Hard Drive: 30 GB free
    • Video Card: DirectX11 Compatible, AMD Radeon HD 6950 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560
    • Video Card Memory: 1024 MB
    • Sound Card: DirectX Compatible
If you’re still unsure, please use the tool Can You Run it? <----

For further reading: Bioshock Infinite PC performance thread

What advantages (if any) does BioShock Infinite take with the PC version?

The Steam version of the game will utilize both Big Picture Mode and support the use of controllers. Additional effects, greater draw distances, and high-resolution textures are just several
of its features.

Are the console versions serviceable?

We’ve been told the console editions were developed simultaneously. One Irrational employee has likened playing the title on the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 as playing it on the PC
toggled to “medium settings.”

Here are the results, Digital Foundry evaluation of BioShock Infinite.

We can’t recommend one version over another, but we can say the PC version will more than likely look the best of all three (depending on the strength of the user’s rig).

Will the soundtrack be released as a standalone product?

Both the Premium and Songbird Collector's Edition include vouchers to download a digital copy of the soundtrack. There are no plans to release the OST as a standalone item.

Was the E3 2011 demo an accurate representation of the finalized game?

Simple answer: yes, but with some key differences.

There are disparities and similitudes, and delving any further would require divulging spoilers.

We'd advise you view the trailer, play the game, and draw your own conclusions.

Did the game face a tumultuous development process?

We recommend you read the BioShock postmortem originally published in Game Developer Magazine and later presented on Gamasutra. The piece encapsulates Irrational’s development process.

The time put into creating the game strikes at just a modicum under 5 years, 2 and a half which was spent prior to the proper unveiling of the proof of concept. Its October
(2012) release was pushed to February of 2013, and finally March of the same year.

In all, the game’s development was only protracted twice. This is no Half-Life 2: Episode Three.

Does BioShock Infinite feature a multiplayer mode?

No. BioShock Infinite is exclusively a single player experience.

A team was assigned to the task of experimenting with the notion of multiplayer, but it was ultimately cut at the behest of Ken Levine. No footage of the mode has surfaced, but we’ve been told it simply wasn’t working.

Should I read “Mind in Revolt” or “The Art of BioShock Infinite” before playing the game?

We’ve read through “Mind in Revolt.” It’s a succinct and effective read, especially if you want context for what you’ll encounter in Infinite. It's one of the few tie-in products we've read that actually seems purposeful and germane to the narrative and setting, despite its flaws.

The book doesn’t spoil any of the events that happen IN THE GAME (it takes place prior to Booker DeWitt's arrival).

The novella unveils a bit of the origins of Columbia, its proclivity of Xenophobia and Exceptionalism, and unveils a few things about the Vox Populi and their leader Daisy Fitzroy.

If you're happier not knowing anything prior to experiencing BioShock Infinite, skip it and read it after your first play-through. It more or less creates context and insight for what you'll encounter, but if you'd rather be nonplussed by these "surprises," don't read it.

As for “The Art of BioShock Infinite,” we've flipped through it and have found there to be light spoilers. It's nothing flippant, but we'd advise caution if one is overly sensitive to spoilers.

What is the DLC Season Pass?

After completing BioShock Infinite, Ken Levine along with a team of others at Irrational set out to deliver three episodic installments of downloadable content. These episodes will feature an original story that further explores the lore of Columbia.

For additional funds, players can purchase access to these episodes, which will be delivered to them upon their completion.

When will the DLC be released?

2K Games and Irrational haven't announced anything at this time. The perusal of a now doctored LinkedIn résumé suggests quite a bit of work has already been completed on the first installment.

Playing Industrial Revolution and preordering the DLC gives me in-game perks, right? Where do I find them?

Warning: minor spoilers.

Players that have the Industrial Revolution code and DLC season pass activated should find several perks upon their arrival at The Blue Ribbon Restaurant. For reference, this is when the player is given a magnetic shield for protection.

Which VFX house created the commercial?

Blur Studio. Founded in 1995 and located in Venice, California, the company has created a litany of trailers, commercials, and concepts for the entertainment industry.
Some examples include the Batman: Arkham City VGA reveal trailer, the Dishonored trailer, the original BioShock proof of concept, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo opening,
The Simpsons Ride footage, and The Star Wars: Old Republic CGI trailers.

How long should it take me to complete BioShock Infinite?

Ken Levine has said the game's campaign is tantamount to the original BioShock's experience, and we'd agree with him. We'd approximate that to be around 10-15 hours, depending on the player's preference and style.

Does Infinite feature audio logs (á la BioShock 1 and 2)?

Yes.

I missed a few of the audio logs during my first playthrough. Do I need to collect them over again for the achievement/trophy?

The game keeps a running tally of which logs you've collected throughout multiple playthroughs. When you've found them all, the accomplishment will be marked as completed.

What should I do if I see an unmarked spoiler (with malicious intent) in this thread?

Don't quote it. Send a personal message to a moderator with a link to the alleged post. Don't give them the satisfaction of proliferation. Report it and ignore it.

I think I saw a spoiler! Is <insert spoiler here> true? What about <insert spoiler here>? I need to know!

If you encounter what you perceive to be a spoiler, don't look for affirmation or denial. Ignore it and play the game.

We'd argue a game isn't just its ending or "plot twists." It's the journey – the series of moments along the way. And no one can take that away from you, just shy of restraining you and forcing you to watch a video walkthrough.

Does the PlayStation 3 inundate players with a mandatory installation? Should I consider making a sandwich in the interim?

You can make a sandwich, but you won't have long! The PS3 version doesn't require an installation prior to starting Infinite's campaign.

How do I access 1999 mode without first beating the game?

Use the Konami code!

PS3: Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, O, X.

360: Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A.

PC: Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, (Cancel), (Confirm).

Is the Move controller supported on the PS3 version?

Yes. Look for the option under the settings menu.

Does the Steam version support the use of gamepads?

Yes.

I've finished the game! Where can I talk about that resonant ending and other such spoilers?

Congratulations! Visit the BioShock Infinite Analyzation and Dissemination thread to mull over the game (Fair warning: spoilers abound).

Which mode should I start with?

Seasoned players may want to consider "Hard" mode. Newcomers should stick with "Normal" or "Easy." We'd recommend saving 1999 mode for a second play-through.

The in-game Songbird plushie is neat! Can I purchase one?

Fans clamored for it and Irrational answered. In conjunction with NECA and Senior Character Concept Artist (at IG) Robb Waters, the Irrational Games store is offering the Songbird Plushie. Preorders can be placed for a tentative September (2013) release.

What about other BioShock merchandise?

We'd recommend perusing the Irrational Games Store. You can find apparel, replicas, artwork, and more. The shop boasts a rather diverse selection of BioShock 1 and BioShock Infinite merchandise.

iCgUiOXWujLbt.png

This thread is brought to you by:

ibzvbpfuo5S5SC.png

Cystm

ippFxI4jgz4e8.jpg

B33.

ibvSRrK8wEQW3w.jpg

Andrew.

Shout out to Sn4ke_911, Raitosaito, ArisenDragon, JaseC, Juan29.zapata, and everyone else in the pre-release thread. Even you, Derrick.

Wall of Shame

It will be amazing. Believe!

It's so close!

Awesome OT. Seriously, congrats guys.

Please be EXTREMELY careful with spoilers guys.

Media blackout has gone well. Literally saw the first trailer and decided I'm interested. Hopefully some good reviews hit before release so I can take advantage of pre-order deals.

Hindle

Banned
This game has been a roller coaster in terms of hype. Its gone from my most anticipated game back at E3 2011 then to a game I had no interest in, to now where I'm fairly hopeful the game delivers.

dmr87

On media blackout the last couple of months except for the recent BAFTA speech (skipped the trailers). This game is going to be awesome.

Nemesis_

Andrew <3 Kevin forever.

What does this mean? >_>

EDIT: Beautiful OT though, gonna read through it later on tomorrow.

Zeliard

Gonna play this one for the setting and story. Not sure how the combat will fare, but I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

Lucius86

Banned
An OT that's very pretty, but not insanely long, and is direct and to-the-point?

Awesome.

Cautiously optimistic for this game, I really want it to do well. Watching Levine's interviews and Q&A's are very interesting.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Well, only a wek to go. I feel like going through Bioshock 1 again and actually play through Bioshock 2 before going into Infinite.

My pre-order on Steam is all set, can't wait to get going now. I'm on a complete media blackout so going in basically blind. Hopefully will get pleasantly surprised when I click play.
An OT that's very pretty, but not insanely long, and is direct and to-the-point?

Awesome.

Cautiously optimistic for this game, I really want it to do well. Watching Levine's interviews and Q&A's are very interesting.

That too, nice OP!

You should really add Green Man Gaming to that pre-order bonus, you get the original Bioshock and another game from a list of Civilization V, Spec-ops:The Line,Mafia II or The Darkness II. And also your choice of 15 dollar store credit or 14 dollar cash back.

B-Dex

I'm currently slogging through Industrial Revolution. The joy. Might take a break and go back to Lego City :p

Lakitu

st5fu
Cannot wait. Shot up to my most anticipated title. Loved the original Bioshock. Hopefully some levels top the stuff that of Bioshock like Fort Frolic.

Hanmik

you forgot this review..

Lf1q1Or.jpg

EXCLUSIVE UNBIASED REVIEW: Bioshock Infinite

Bioshock Infinite is an incredible experience on PS3. It is a fantastic game with engaging characters, a fascinating story and rip-roaring action. It’s also a technical marvel; it harnesses the tremendous power of the PS3 with beautiful graphics and a solid frame rate.

It is a shame that the same cannot be said for the XBOX 360 version. On XBOX 360 it is terrible game with boring characters, a poor story and not enough action. It’s also a technical mess; the XBOX 360’s lack of power leads to ugly graphics and a poor frame rate. I had such a horrible time with the XBOX version that I burnt the disc as well as my 360 so that I could never be reminded of the excruciating experience. I would personally recommend all XBOX 360 owners to do the same with their console.

So in conclusion, the PS3 version is so incredible that you should buy a copy for yourself, as well as 10 more copies to give to your friends. More importantly though, the XBOX 360 version is awful and should be avoided at all costs.

PS3 Version: 11 out of 10

XBOX 360 Version: 0 out of 10

Raxus

Great OP. Just a reminder all the preorder tiers have unlocked on steam so you get XCom: Enemy Unknown, Bioshock 1, and the TF2 hats when you purchase!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The Steam portion of your OP needs updating; all of the tiers have unlocked, meaning you can just list the bonuses.

Edit: Beaten.

Top Bottom