• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock killed my computer

Phthisis

Epiphyte said:
Literally, like shit blew up

I got the demo downloaded, updated to the latest drivers, and settled down to play the Bioshock demo. I wanted to set the proper mood, so the lights were off, the speakers turned up and the demo begun.

I was about 15 minutes into it, having very much enjoyed what I had seen so far, when I came upon the first Big Daddy encounter. I watch in rapt attention as he charges a splicer when suddenly BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM. It sounds as though a string of firecrackers has been detonated in my computer case, as well as each BOOM being punctuated with a bright blue flash coming through the case window.

For about half a second I sit there stunned. The first thought in my mind is "Holy Fucking Shit, that is the greatest effect I've ever seen. They should have given this game an 11." Immediately following this a sickening realization dawns on me as I look over at my tower. Blue Smoke! The magic blue smoke that makes electronics work is escaping from my PC.

What follows is a 30 second vaudeville act of me simultaneously cursing, falling as I try to leap out of my chair, and finally ripping the power cord from the wall. But the blue smoke was already out, and the smell of ozone in the air told me the bitter truth. Bioshock had fried my computer from the inside and blown the capacitors.

I took the victory into my living room and gave it some cursory revival attempts, but it was clear once the side panel was removed that it was gone. This all happened at about 8:30 CST, since which I've been endeavoring to bootstrap my old Pentium 3 back into working order. This involved a quick run to Walmart, as the damn thing is so old it doesn't have a built in NIC.

On the plus side, this errand allowed me to pick up a case of Fat Tire ale so that I might drink the pain away as I browse New Egg for a new computer.

A word of caution for anyone else planning on playing the Bioshock demo. THE GAME WAS SO FACE MELTINGLY AWESOME IT BLEW UP MY COMPUTER. Hopefully I can prevent further tragedies.

Sirusjr

Banned
:lol :lol :lol
Reminds me of the time when I was playing Oblivion and my computer suddenly keeled over and I ended up buying a new CPU/MOBO/Video Card/Ram. I'll stick to consoles thanks.

Ashhong

does anybody have the link to the bioshock demo torrent? i dont want to wait on fileplanet and the thread is too big to find it.

8-bit

Banned
And what exactly blew up ?
My guess would be some capacitors on your mobo, or maybe something on your gfx ?

Epiphyte

8-bit said:
And what exactly blew up ?
My guess would be some capacitors on your mobo, or maybe something on your gfx ?
It looks like the caps inside the power supply blew. Some of the capacitors on the motherboard have their foil seals bulged outward and may also be blown, just less spectacularly.

I'm going to run out and grab a new power supply tomorrow and see if I can't salvage something from this mess.

Evlar

Banned
Oh god not another Bio-

That's fucking awesome! Not the fact that it blew up your computer, but that it blew up A computer.

Evlar

Banned
Epiphyte said:
Athlon XP 3200+
2 GB RAM
6800 GT (OC'ed to Ultra Spec)

It actually ran decent at 1024
That's pretty close to my config. Same processor, less RAM, better video card (7600 but not OC'd). After playing the demo tonight I've decided it's probably not the best way to experience the game so I've got choices to make.

The DEMO just damn about near killed mine a few minutes ago. My PC literally started crying. Literally. It was making broken up sobbing sounds.

Haunted

:lol awesome post.

:( sucks that your PC is a goner, though.

brandonh83 said:
The DEMO just damn about near killed mine a few minutes ago. My PC literally started crying. Literally. It was making broken up sobbing sounds.
:lol :lol you're all making me afraid of trying the demo! (it's still downloading)

Coinmonster

:lol Holy crap!

STEADY NOW! YOUR PC's CODE IS BEING REWRITTEN! JUST HOLD ON AND EVERYTHING WILL BE FINE!

Seriously though, sorry to hear about your pc :(

GreekWolf

Epiphyte said:
Literally, like shit blew up

I got the demo downloaded, updated to the latest drivers, and settled down to play the Bioshock demo. I wanted to set the proper mood, so the lights were off, the speakers turned up and the demo begun.

I was about 15 minutes into it, having very much enjoyed what I had seen so far, when I came upon the first Big Daddy encounter. I watch in rapt attention as he charges a splicer when suddenly BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM. It sounds as though a string of firecrackers has been detonated in my computer case, as well as each BOOM being punctuated with a bright blue flash coming through the case window.

For about half a second I sit there stunned. The first thought in my mind is "Holy Fucking Shit, that is the greatest effect I've ever seen. They should have given this game an 11." Immediately following this a sickening realization dawns on me as I look over at my tower. Blue Smoke! The magic blue smoke that makes electronics work is escaping from my PC.

What follows is a 30 second vaudeville act of me simultaneously cursing, falling as I try to leap out of my chair, and finally ripping the power cord from the wall. But the blue smoke was already out, and the smell of ozone in the air told me the bitter truth. Bioshock had fried my computer from the inside and blown the capacitors.

I took the victory into my living room and gave it some cursory revival attempts, but it was clear once the side panel was removed that it was gone. This all happened at about 8:30 CST, since which I've been endeavoring to bootstrap my old Pentium 3 back into working order. This involved a quick run to Walmart, as the damn thing is so old it doesn't have a built in NIC.

On the plus side, this errand allowed me to pick up a case of Fat Tire ale so that I might drink the pain away as I browse New Egg for a new computer.

A word of caution for anyone else planning on playing the Bioshock demo. THE GAME WAS SO FACE MELTINGLY AWESOME IT BLEW UP MY COMPUTER. Hopefully I can prevent further tragedies.
This is like a classic Jeff Green editorial.

It was funny, it sat at that loading screen forever, so I'm like fuck it I'll just play some Super Metroid until it loads. As soon as I started to stand up my PC started to recite dialogue from the movie 300 and I just stood there frozen, thinking about this topic and how I should learn how to pay more attention to what other people say.

Thankfully it restarted and booted up normally...

KLoNe

Banned
Buttonbasher said:
Mine reset at the second load screen as my bathosphere rose up. The computer reset itself.
I lol'd. 360 version ftw.

Bioshock has laid my 360 to rest 4 times now. Lucky I know how to fix it..... for 24 hrs at a time :lol

scoobs

clever. My 8800GTS runs this game very smoothly, anyone else think the sensitivity in this game sucks?

rinker

Wario64 said:
You've been

6d0t7uw.gif
i love it

Sorry about your computer but....:lol :lol :lol :lol

I don´t know wich one is the best:

The tech one:
Epiphyte said:
"The magic blue smoke that makes electronics work is escaping from my PC."

Or the ones 2kgames should use on the cover/back of the game:
Epiphyte said:
"Holy Fucking Shit, that is the greatest effect I've ever seen. They should have given this game an 11."
Epiphyte said:
"Bioshock had fried my computer from the inside and blown the capacitors."
Epiphyte said:
"THE GAME WAS SO FACE MELTINGLY AWESOME IT BLEW UP MY COMPUTER."

Razikain

Oh sure, the guy loses a machine playing BioShock and suddenly he's a hero! When my computer was fried during a cursory Creatures 2 playthrough, where were you, GAF? WHERE WERE YOU? :lol

Seriously, this thread is awesome.

Lefty42o

Banned
Epiphyte said:
Athlon XP 3200+
2 GB RAM
6800 GT (OC'ed to Ultra Spec)

It actually ran decent at 1024

i am running

amd x2 4200+
2gb ram
8600gt overclocked
40 inch 1080p samsung monitor

i am so afraid to dl this demo now. i had a custom built amd 64 blow on my back in the day same way you described. was the most spectacular flashes i have ever seen from a eltronic device. smell lasted for hours.

and it was my power supply, switched it no luck. she was dead. i wasn't even playing a game. i personally think mine got moisture on it cause i had left the window nest to it open and it was a cool night the day before it blew.

so i feel your pain. sorry man.

Top Bottom