• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioWare: DAI will not be a "template" for Mass Effect/non-DA games, ME next-gen only

spekkeh

Banned
I hope they harken back a bit to how the original Mass Effect was, in terms of actual exploration and venturing. One of my biggest issues with how ME2 and ME3 changed game play was they basically turned it into a linear shooter where you just basically sprint from A to B.

One of my biggest hopes with a next gen Mass Effect is if they capture the wonder the first game had. What's the Attican Traverse? What's the Terminus systems, can I fly there and land on a planet only to see its hostile to Citadel aliens. So I actually hope there is a lot more open world and exploration.

I loved the hub world's the most. Can't wait to see how they'll do it for ME4.
Hmm yes and no. I liked the idea of driving around on the moon and seeing earth in the sky, even though there was never anything interesting to do. But playing DAI, I realized what I liked so much about ME2 and ME3 is that every mission had weight and impetus. A distress signal--go there now, you might be just in time to save them! Conversely, DAI's exploration (and in hindsight ME's sidequests) was so leisurely and open ended that nothing felt important at all. You can go there, or not, in your own time, or not, doesn't matter really.

sublimit

Banned
So now we should be thankful that a game that will probably be released in 1-2 years from now will not be developed for platforms that have come out a decade ago...

erawsd

Seems like the Bioware response is confused about what people mean by the DA:I "template". No one is saying that the next Mass Effect is going to have horses in space. The concern is the de-emphasis on roleplaying/narrative in favor of a more MMO-like structure full of busywork and copy/paste quests from one area to the next.

Hearing that the Mako is coming back just makes me think that it wont just be a fun way to traverse and explore a planet. Instead, I'll be using it to scan 20 minerals on one planet, then 15 on the next, and 30 on another.

K_B

I'm glad to read this. Mass Effect and Dragon Age have always been pretty different franchises. I enjoyed Inquisition, but many parts of the game were just a chore. I'm interested to see where Bioware takes the exploration they've promised with the next Mass Effect. I'm just hoping they make more story driven side quests, the fetch quests in ME3 were just tedious.

JayEH

Seems like the Bioware response is confused about what people mean by the DA:I "template". No one is saying that the next Mass Effect is going to have horses in space. The concern is the de-emphasis on roleplaying/narrative in favor of a more MMO-like structure full of busywork and copy/paste quests from one area to the next.

Hearing that the Mako is coming back just makes me think that it wont just be a fun way to traverse and explore a planet. Instead, I'll be using it to scan 20 minerals on one planet, then 15 on the next, and 30 on another.

Yeah, I hope they fully understand the faults people have with DAI because I don't think they understood the problems they had with 2.

Mindlog

"The only similarities are tech."

It's hard to be more explicit than that.

Hoping for the best but I think it was a mistake to bring the Mako back instead of doing an improved Hammerhead. Strap on a few extra inches of armor plating and make its weapons interesting to use and it's the perfect Mass Effect vehicle.

Lakitu

st5fu
Great news. Really excited about what they have in store for us. Loved DA: I (GOTY 2014), but I would have gotten rid of 50 or so fetch quests to make way for more story-based quests.

prag16

Banned
Sounds good. Still I hope they don't go too open world with it. Not every damn game has to be "open world".

The level of openness in the existing trilogy is fine. These comments are promising though. Sounds like they're trying to avoid having a vast but boring world, which DAI fell victim to in some ways.

d1rtn4p

Best news I've heard this year. And hell ya on the MAKO. Planet exploration was the best part of the first trilogy.

As someone who found DA:I to be serviceable, but far from the glory days of DA:O and ME2, this makes me happy to hear... But it's still hard to get hopeful about Bioware these days.

Aikidoka

Every Mass Effect game is structured the same. Every single mission comes up with some excuse to put you in a corridor to fight a bunch of humanoids. I got really bored of the series because of it (and lackluster writing) so hopefully they can change the next game in someways.

Hoping for the best but I think it was a mistake to bring the Mako back instead of doing an improved Hammerhead. Strap on a few extra inches of armor plating and make its weapons interesting to use and it's the perfect Mass Effect vehicle.
The new Mako looks like it handles very well from the prototype footage, speedy and maneuvarable, nothing like the previous version.

The new Mako looks like it handles very well from the prototype footage, speedy and maneuvarable, nothing like the previous version.

I've seen the video, it's just that the Hammerhead was awesome. Really fast, maneuverable, felt like it was right at home in the Mass Effect universe (Saren riding hoverboard, floating drones, floating hanar, floating gunships etc). I see no advantages of the Mako, gameplay wise. Firewalker DLC was crappy but Overlord used it well. Just need some fun weapons and give it more hit points (that thing was armored with wet tissue paper in ME2).

it is going to take a lot for me to be excited for me4. me3 left such a bad taste that i actually enjoyed the mp way more than the sp.

Karu

I vastly prefer the ME-games over the DA-franchise, this is great news. Just give a me a great mix of main+ character stories with as little fluff as possible, & I probably will end up being more than happy. And if they will lead a possible marketing campaign with "30 hours" instead of "200 hours", I'm totally fine with that.

In theory DA:I sounded great. In practice it entertained me for quite a while. But after that? It feels overstuffed, drowning out all possibly memorable moments. The latter one being the biggest mistake a BioWare game, built on great moments, could make in my opinion.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
http://youtu.be/00YqU7CT3XQ?t=5m42s

No, it's meant to be a quick-deploy exploratory vehicle. Customization is also being toyed around with.

tumblr_lws711jBko1qf40tn.gif

Altima

This is what I like about Bioware. They keep improving their game.

Even something turn out to be disappointment.

Thank god.

The engine they've used for DAI and other games is really showing it's age.

Its good that Bioware are aware of the particular facets that make up a franchise like Mass Effect's identity. They should aim to keep their franchises distinct.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
As someone who found DA:I to be serviceable, but far from the glory days of DA:O and ME2, this makes me happy to hear... But it's still hard to get hopeful about Bioware these days.

Yeah those were the glory days of Bioware alright...

JayEH

Thank god.

The engine they've used for DAI and other games is really showing it's age.

Its good that Bioware are aware of the particular facets that make up a franchise like Mass Effect's identity. They should aim to keep their franchises distinct.

they used frostbite for DAI and they're using it for ME4.

Will M

It doesn't matter to me one way or the other. Bioware games have always interested me because they have some of the best cast of characters you can interact with.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Despite being a game I should have hated due to the way it was designed and similarities with other franchises that I dislike for those reasons, I really enjoyed much of Inquisition and found it an easy game to relax into and just keep playing. Tons and tons of room for improvement but I can't pretend I didn't like it.

Not that it matters in the context of this. I'll probably buy Mass Effect 4 no matter how it ends up. Maybe.

NickFire

Hearing they aren't limiting ME4 to make it fit last gen makes me unbelievably happy. Cant wait for this game and to see where they take multiplayer.

Where did Aaryn mention anything about horses in space? Have no idea what made you write that lol. He is clearly talking about the core design of the game.

Do developers not learn from the past many times? They've been clear on what was wrong with the Mako in the past. It looks very fun to use at least in the prototype footage.

Well shit, why couldn't BioWare have kept Mass Effect out of Dragon Age in the first place then if they're all about keeping their properties feel distinct? Post Origins, DA has felt progressively more and more like ME and less like the spiritual successor to Baldurs Gate DA was originally supposed to be.

JNA

Banned
Goddamn yes. One of the reasons I always considered each ME to be worse than the last one was driving around with the mako, so much fun.

That Gif was not what driving the Mako was like at all. Driving the Mako was a freaking chore. I was glad they got rid of it.

If they are bringing it back, then I hope they have improved it, because the Mako in ME1 would be like driving a UPS truck in a Need for Speed game.

GlamFM

Banned
Despite being a game I should have hated due to the way it was designed and similarities with other franchises that I dislike for those reasons, I really enjoyed much of Inquisition and found it an easy game to relax into and just keep playing. Tons and tons of room for improvement but I can't pretend I didn't like it.

Not that it matters in the context of this. I'll probably buy Mass Effect 4 no matter how it ends up. Maybe.

What what what?!!?!?

Why is your name all black?

What did I miss!?

You were my favorite mod on GAF! :(

Bringing back the Mako is still really worrying. The last thing I want from Mass Effect is open world vehicle segments enhanced with collectables.

Almighty

I always thought it was weird people saying that Mass Effect will become like Dragon Age. Mostly because as far as I am concerned it was Dragon Age that became more like Mass Effect.

Ovek

7Member7
I dunno I thought the new Mass Effect game would have suited the DAI style more than DAI did. Exploring new planets etc would give you more scope for small encounters and the general fetch stuff of DAI, a bit like ME1 with more to do.

Saying that I'm glad its going to be its own game, wonder if its going to be shown off at GDC and E3 this year?

BouncyFrag

This is a good thing, since people had such a hard-on for the side quests in DA:I.
I'm hoping everyone's favorite druffalo gets a cameo in ME4. We've had a Space Hamster so why not a Space Druffalo? That mako with him attached to the front like a battering ram would be unstoppable!

Top Bottom