• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioWare: Dragon Age 3 "looks stunningly beautiful", "people won't be disappointed"

antitrop

I have little reason to believe Dragon Age 3 won't look amazing, but Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Army of Two Three have proven that good graphics on the Frostbyte engine are not a guarantee.

Kurdel

Banned
But what about the art?

Call me crazy, but I kinda liked the new Qunari design in 2.

Qunari_swordman728-610c.jpg

Lime

Dragon Age 3 will be marketed to infinity and beyond. Whatever Bioware claims or actually produces, will be negated by the sheer amount of exposure and advertising this game will have.

Subsequently game reviewers will give it 8 or 9 out of 10 based on DA3's budget alone. When all is said and done, a couple of million copies will have been sold and Bioware will repeat the same "we learned from our mistakes. THIS time, DA4 will be glorious."

Bedlam

Not sure if serious....
I am. A subdued color palette can be an excellent stylistic device for creating a unique atmosphere. And I was never upset with brown color palettes. Quite the contrary, I loved that aspect in games like Fallout 1&2 etc.

I think Dragon Age 2's Gaf feedback was the only time I went from being truly excited about a game days before launch, to not even trying it when it was under $5. I was in the infamous OT, saying I was going to give Bioware the benefit of the doubt but by launch my hopes were dashed and word of mouth only went south from there.

DA 3 has a lot to come back from but I'm surprised at how soon it's being talked about. DA 1 spent an eternity in development. I don't know if EA will ever let Bioware fully cook a game again.

Moaradin

Dragon Age 3 will be marketed to infinity and beyond. Whatever Bioware claims or actually produces, will be negated by the sheer amount of exposure and advertising this game will have.

Subsequently game reviewers will give it 8 or 9 out of 10 based on DA3's budget alone. When all is said and done, a couple of million copies will have been sold and Bioware will repeat the same "we learned from our mistakes. THIS time, DA4 will be glorious."

Why are we already jumping to conclusions? Sure, it will be marketed like crazy, but that has nothing to do with the quality of the game. We know hardly anything about it yet.

Jarmel

Banned
Well at least they are improving in one area. The biggest problem though in both the DA and ME games are the writing. That's much harder to fix than anything graphics-related.

Erethian

I wonder if it's a sign of the maturity of the industry (or lack thereof) that marketing is so centred around how "cinematic" a game is, or its story, or its graphics. As opposed to the single thing that separates games from other entertainment media. You know, gameplay.

Patryn

I think Dragon Age 2's Gaf feedback was the only time I went from being truly excited about a game days before launch, to not even trying it when it was under $5. I was in the infamous OT, saying I was going to give Bioware the benefit of the doubt but by launch my hopes were dashed and word of mouth only went south from there.

DA 3 has a lot to come back from but I'm surprised at how soon it's being talked about. DA 1 spent an eternity in development. I don't know if EA will ever let Bioware fully cook a game again.

As I understand things, they're letting this one cook longer than they normally would (or was planned prior to Dragon Age 2 disappointing saleswise).

DrSlek

My hopes for DA2 were completely dashed when i saw the first screenshot of the new darkspawn designs they were using.

Fix the graphics all you like, Bioware. But for fucks sake fix your art style, because DA2 was a fucking eyesore!

Maybe hire some new writers too? You know what? Anyone who worked on DA2, don't let them work on DA3 just to be safe...

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I wonder if it's a sign of the maturity of the industry (or lack thereof) that marketing is so centred around how "cinematic" a game is, or its story, or its graphics. As opposed to the single thing that separates games from other entertainment media. You know, gameplay.

Neil Thompson is BioWare's director of art and animation.

What were you hoping he would talk about instead?

Lime

Why are we already jumping to conclusions? Sure, it will be marketed like crazy, but that has nothing to do with the quality of the game. We know hardly anything about it yet.

I'm just playing Nostradamus in this particular case. The games industry and media can be incredibly predictable, especially when it comes to the reception of big budget games, publishers' carefully planned handling of it, and the accompanying media reaction to it.

Bioware is especially entertaining because they always seem to blatantly lie about or subvert any public criticism of their output. I can't imagine what their PR department is going through.

Remember to align your expectations everyone!

Moaradin

Dragon Age 2 came out almost 2 years ago and DA3 hasn't even really been officially announced yet. I'd say they are letting this one cook a bit.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
As I understand things, they're letting this one cook longer than they normally would (or was planned prior to Dragon Age 2 disappointing saleswise).

At this point the game has basically had six more months of development than Dragon Age 2 did in total before we have even seen it.

kaioshade

I'm sure it'll be pretty slick looking. They've got some great concept artists working there and now they have a graphics engine capable of backing it all up. It's pretty much a sure thing if you ask me that DA3 will have a slightly gimped version for 360/ps3 and then the PC version will look a crap ton better and also be released on the next xbox.

I'm more interested in finding out how the gameplay works in the new one, I think we may get a cover based shooter with a fantasy skin in the worst case scenario. Think how mass effect 2/3 played but replace biotics with magic and add in a 1v1 melee system in between magic missile volleys. This is just complete guess work based on them using an engine designed for shooters.

Choice of engine means nothing.

The unreal 3 engine has been used for FPS, fighting games, Action games and even RPG's. And none of them play similar. Using frostbite does not mean DA3 will be Battlefield mechanics.

Although knowing EA....

Erethian

Neil Thompson is BioWare's director of art and animation.

What were you hoping he would talk about instead?

I was just making a general point, in light of how a lot of big titles have recently been marketed. And it's not like they've done a ton of talking about the gameplay with DA3, nor do I expect that to be the focus when the marketing campaign begins.

Mikey Jr.

So we are never getting a sequel to DA1, are we?

We are just going to ignore your character, Morrigan, and your baby.

Seriously, what the fuck?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Concerning marketing, I just found this

So I'll take anything from EA with a huge grain of salt.
I'm still hopeful about DA3 though. ME3 seems nice enough.

The same thing happened Brutal Legend, with no mention of the the RTS elements.

diamount

Banned

They already stated before the DA2 release that the Warden's story was over, Morrigan's however is not.

Sorian

Banned
If there's any of those fade shit in this game. Then they can kiss my ass.

You made me think of something.

Bioware, do you want redemption? I know how you can get it from me. This game can be a huge steaming pile or a piece of pure gold. There is only one way to be redeemed in my eyes. Make the Fade fun, I don't know how and I don't care how. If you can make the Fade fun, then you I'll pre-order your next 5 games at retail, no questions asked.

Trigger

I'm not even sure I want those plot hooks to be followed given the current state of the DA team's writing skills.

Can't wait to see some footage. Curious if they're still looking to skyrim for influence and if they're working on a multiplayer mode (I enjoyed ME3's).

diamount

Banned
The same thing happened Brutal Legend, with no mention of the the RTS elements.

That's gaming marketing 101 though, people who were interested in the game already knew about it's mechanics. Marketing is usually for the wider demographic and I do not think there are many RTS fans in that demographic.

It doesn't matter if what they are saying is true or not. Between this, TOR and the ME3 ending, the public has no faith left in BioWare, and this game will bomb because of it. If they work hard, they might just earn back their trust DMC3 style and earn back good sales on ME4 and whatever else comes after this, but this will still fail badly enough that EA will kill the DA franchise.

Sorian

Banned
That's gaming marketing 101 though, people who were interested in the game already knew about it's mechanics. Marketing is usually for the wider demographic and I do not think there are many RTS fans in that demographic.

Did we know about the RTS mechanic? I don't think I did.

I really hope this turns out well. After Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3, I feel like they have one more chance to remind me they can make awesome games.

Lancehead

You made me think of something.

Bioware, do you want redemption? I know how you can get it from me. This game can be a huge steaming pile or a piece of pure gold. There is only one way to be redeemed in my eyes. Make the Fade fun, I don't know how and I don't care how. If you can make the Fade fun, then you I'll pre-order your next 5 games at retail, no questions asked.

You're easy to please.

Vamphuntr

It might come back but this was a choice you could make in the game and most choices in Bioware games don't do much in the long run or are completely ignored (see the ME trilogy, DA Awakening and DA 2). There are probably 4-5 decision in the ME trilogy that actually matters and this game might be on next-gen hardware so you wouldn't be able to import a save anyway.

Dragon Age 2 came out almost 2 years ago and DA3 hasn't even really been officially announced yet. I'd say they are letting this one cook a bit.

I guess your right. It has been 2 years. It's not getting DA 1 time but it's not a new IP either. I honestly hope it turns out well but I won't be holding my breath.

I was going to criticize them for again promising "no disappointment", but what else are they going to say when this is probably their last chance at relevance. Might as well go all in.

Sorian

Banned
It might come back but this was a choice you could make in the game and most choices in Bioware games don't do much in the long run or are completely ignored (see the ME trilogy, DA Awakening and DA 2). There are probably 4-5 decision in the ME trilogy that actually matters and this game might be on next-gen hardware so you wouldn't be able to import a save anyway.

If i remember right, she is pregnant with a kid no matter what. So it's not a choice anymore, it's a viable plot point.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Be that as it may, the fact remains that it's another example of EA taking deceptive liberties with advertising.

antitrop

Despite being incredibly sour on Dragon Age 2 (after enjoying 1 immensely), I'm still rather optimistic that BioWare can make DA3 a good DA game again.

I hope they don't fuck me, again.

Top Bottom