• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioWare: Dragon Age 3 "looks stunningly beautiful", "people won't be disappointed"

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I figure we can end up with one of two scenarios:

1.) An excellent looking game.
or
2.) Some hilarious quotes for EviLore's Dragon Age 3 |OT|

OXM said:

"Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age 2 were both done using BioWare's own Eclipse engine, and it was starting to creak a little bit when Dragon Age 2 came out," Thompson confessed in an interview you'll read in issue 95, on sale now. "Inquisition is being done on the Frostbite 2 engine and it is an astonishingly powerful engine."

"The Dragon Age artists were always slightly disappointed at how their work was visualised in the final product with Eclipse, but with Frostbite, they've just done some amazing stuff," he went on.

"There was a pre-production period where almost on a weekly basis I'd be sitting in the environment reviews and being blown away by what was coming out - it looks stunningly beautiful. So I think when we do start releasing screenshots, people won't be disappointed."

In Thompson's view, companion series Mass Effect is "the perfect example of a game that transcends its technology", using skilled visual design to hide or make a point of the limitations of the engine. By the sounds of it, Dragon Age 3's art direction is similarly ambitious.

"Can you make fantasy beautiful in a different way? We think we have something special for Dragon Age 3: Inquisition," he mused, adding that the game will shun the "subdued colour palette and harsh brown feel" typical of much current fantasy media.

Source: http://www.oxm.co.uk/49379/dragon-a...s-to-disappointment-over-dragon-age-1-2/#null

We'll see Bioware...we'll see...

frybertstaregif.gif

RoKKeR

I'm actually quite excited to see an RPG running on Frostbite. And a fantasy game at that. We've seen enough dust and brown from Frostbite, it's time for something new.

Chromie

Banned
I'd rather they try making it a good game this time.

Same here. Origins is not the spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate I don't care what Bioware's marketing department claims. I'm expecting an epic hero saves the world story, romances and terrible combat pretty much anything on the cliche Bioware chart. For me to even consider buying DAIII it would have to be radically different from anything they've released post Neverwinter Nights.

BioWare%20Cliche%20Chart.png

Dennis

Banned
At least now we know BioWare reads GAF.

In the last DA3 thread I warned people to prepare for crushing disappointment and here are BioWare assuring us that people won't be disappointed.

Coincidence you say?

Lurker, pls.

This is NeoGAF.

epmode

Same here. Origins is not the spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate I don't care what Bioware's marketing department claims.

Right. It's much more a watered down KoTOR than Baldur's Gate.

edit: Maybe "watered down" wasn't accurate. It was basically KoTOR attached to a lousy IP.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I'll reserve judgement till we see a significant bit of the game. No reason to shit on BioWare before we even see a single screenshot.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
"Can you make fantasy beautiful in a different way? We think we have something special for Dragon Age 3: Inquisition," he mused, adding that the game will shun the "subdued colour palette and harsh brown feel" typical of much current fantasy media.

Thought they sorta perfected it. Darn.

Mario007

They've been recording marketing assets the past few weeks.

Can't be too long now.
Hopefully, I've mentioned this in the other DA3 thread, but these 'Hey guys we're working on a game but can't show you anything about it but here's the PR statement' reveals are pretty damn awful.

Pachinko

I'm sure it'll be pretty slick looking. They've got some great concept artists working there and now they have a graphics engine capable of backing it all up. It's pretty much a sure thing if you ask me that DA3 will have a slightly gimped version for 360/ps3 and then the PC version will look a crap ton better and also be released on the next xbox.

I'm more interested in finding out how the gameplay works in the new one, I think we may get a cover based shooter with a fantasy skin in the worst case scenario. Think how mass effect 2/3 played but replace biotics with magic and add in a 1v1 melee system in between magic missile volleys. This is just complete guess work based on them using an engine designed for shooters.

Vamphuntr

Fucking just show the game already. You've announced it 6 months ago and we still saw nothing from it at all.

I think they learned their lesson this time. They will actually takes the time to come up with something nice before unveiling it. I doubt they want to unveil the game with a shit mountain area again.

Especially with the fans backlash regarding DA2. They've also repeatedly asked for fans input through survey and blog posts about the game so I think they will be very careful with this one.

How it looked was the least of Dragon Age 2s problems

Yup but it sure didn't help :p

Kurdel

Banned

At least they are trying to avoid another Shit Mountain type situation.

da2ot-06.jpg

Derrick01

Banned
Figures they would fix the graphics out of all the problems people had. I wouldn't be surprised if it's an even dumber game than DA2 with how recent trends are going.

Razlo

The graphics were no one's issue with 2. I'm not sure EA's Bioware can make an RPG that doesn't feel rushed an unsatisfying.

Patryn

At least now we know BioWare reads GAF.

In the last DA3 thread I warned people to prepare for crushing disappointment and here are BioWare assuring us that people won't be disappointed.

Coincidence you say?

Lurker, pls.

This is NeoGAF.

I don't think it's just NeoGAF that's expecting crushing disappointment.

I think EVERYONE is expecting Dragon Age 3 to be an absolute mess.

I also think Bioware is terrified of the game, because if it fails, it probably means the end of the franchise and puts them on a super short leash.

Bedlam

I like a subdued color palette and a harsh brown feel in my games and I never really understood against the hate against such stylistic choices. The Gears games, for example, became visually way less interesting and more generic looking the more colorful the games became.

Sorian

Banned
I like a subdued color palette and a harsh brown feel in my games. I really never understood against the hate against it. The Gears games, for example, became visually way less interesting and more generic looking the more colorful the games became.

Not sure if serious....

Top Bottom