• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioware: Mass Effect 4 will reference original trilogy but remain separate

Courage

The next Mass Effect game will reference the series' existing trilogy, BioWare has said, although there's still no clear confirmation of when the new title will be set.

But, when quizzed on the subject, BioWare Edmonton and Montreal boss Aaryn Flynn told Game Trailers that the developer had a "really cool idea" for how the franchise would continue.

Fans have speculated that the map interface shows a new galaxy to explore.
"I can't get into that too much. We've got a really cool idea for how we're going to carry on - keep the trilogy separate but at the same time give a bunch of nods to fans who enjoyed the trilogy in the past," he teased.

"That's all going to come out soon."

BioWare has already stated that Shepard will not appear in the next game, and that your previous companions are unlikely to return either.

"Hmm," Flynn mused when asked about returning characters. "Definitely returning races. It wouldn't be a Mass Effect game without the krogans - we showed a krogan today."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...eference-original-trilogy-but-remain-separate

Does this kinda hint to a sequel? I'm glad we're not seeing Shepard again, but I just hope it's some huge amount of time after the trilogy.

Woorloog

Banned
So basically anything you did in the OT will be worthless? The endings should change the 'verse radically each, even the extended cut ones. EDIT assuming it is a sequel.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Wish they'd just pick/construct a "canon" and use that as a template, but I guess it'll be something like "set in a new galaxy", and fans don't seem to agree with what I'd want. People seem fond of the "ark to a new galaxy" concept so maybe they'll go with that.

So basically anything you did in the OT will be worthless? The endings should change the 'verse radically each, even the extended cut ones.

There is logistically absolutely no way they could make a sequel and realistically cater to the expectations for all the possible outcomes in the trilogy. Not unless BioWare had unlimited time, manpower, money, and magic. Space magic. The variables are simply too great.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
i'd bet that it's a prequel dealing with the first contact wars and the nods won't be historical in nature, but more wink-y things like pieces of dialogue.

Wish they'd just pick/construct a "canon" and use that as a template, but I guess it'll be something like "set in a new galaxy", and fans don't seem to agree with what I'd want. People seem fond of the "ark to a new galaxy" concept so maybe they'll go with that.

They just admitted they have done just that by referencing the Krogans. Truly evil Shepards practically killed them off in ME3.

andreyblade

Neo Member
They just admitted they have done just that by referencing the Krogans. Truly evil Shepards practically killed them off in ME3.

Lots of things can be retconned. "oh, you killed the Krogan race? turns out there were more frozen specimens like Grunt so they're still around"

Dennis

Banned
I think I would prefer a smaller game in scope but more fleshed out so exploring something like the Citadel doesn't feel like four corridors.

Seems now we might get another "The whole galaxy will be destroyed!" scenario only now it isn't even the Mass Effect galaxy.....

:(

Eidan

So basically anything you did in the OT will be worthless? The endings should change the 'verse radically each, even the extended cut ones. EDIT assuming it is a sequel.
It's absurd to think they would carry your choices over from the trilogy.

Woffls

I don't think this explicitly tells us that the events of ME4 happen after. It could just be the events of the original trilogy from a different perspective, half way across the universe. Or it could be the same events in a different universe, but then we wouldn't have any of the same races and I think they've already confirmed that.

Being realistic, it will be set after the trilogy in a different part of the universe. They will emphasize just how far away we are from that part of the universe, and go on about how Shepherd's actions affected everyone everywhere.

After hearing about the far-reaching scope of the project, I don't think they will try and tie it up too much with what happened in the trilogy in terms of story arch. It will feel like a fresh start, and that's the way it should be.

Woorloog

Banned
That would be... acceptable. I'd prefer a reboot, taking things in different direction. Cut out the Reapers as they are, change things, like no unified Council, species don't get that well along, much, much less of the galaxy should be explored. And naturally, make the story different.
Reboot, because that "set in a new galaxy" has a lot of problems (FLT travel in a new galaxy, getting to there (cryo sleep ark?), why and when the colonists left (also the amount of colonists would have to be, likely, enormous), and a lot of other issues.
Perhaps most people wouldn't care about those details but me... well, a (back)story with car-sized holes is never a good story in my mind.

There is logistically absolutely no way they could make a sequel and realistically cater to the expectations for all the possible outcomes in the trilogy. Not unless BioWare had unlimited time, manpower, money, and magic. Space magic. The variables are simply too great.
I'm well aware of that. Which is why i think the idea of making a sequel for the trilogy is utterly stupid. I just think what i said should be noted. as some people seem to forget it. EDIT and some people claim a prequel wouldn't work because of the exact same issue: "Nothing you do would matter". Well if there's a sequel, nothing you did would matter...

Eidan

I think I would prefer a smaller game in scope but more fleshed out so exploring something like the Citadel doesn't feel like four corridors.

Seems now we might get another "The whole galaxy will be destroyed!" scenario only now it isn't even the Mass Effect galaxy.....

:(

I'm with you. I think a C-Sec game would be great.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I don't see how they are going to do this. Unless ME4 is filled to the brim with new species.

If we use the ark to a new galaxy idea, it would take hundreds if not thousands of years to colonize the new galaxy, and to have any history behind anything at all. Unless the only species from the originals are in your crew, and the rest of the game is new aliens all together, I don't see that working.

Not to mention there would be a distinct lack of human civilization.

I guess we will see.

Courage

Now that I think of it, referencing the original trilogy as a prequel probably makes more sense than if it's a sequel.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
i'd bet that it's a prequel dealing with the first contact wars and the nods won't be historical in nature, but more wink-y things like pieces of dialogue.

Far from confirmation, but grapevine does indeed suggest ME4 is set post-trilogy. Context is another matter.

There would still be a few Krogans left. A chosen few. Our heroes.

That would be... acceptable. I'd prefer a reboot, taking things in different direction. Cut out the Reapers as they are, change things, like no unified Council, species don't get that well along, much, much less of the galaxy should be explored. And naturally, make the story different.
Reboot, because that "set in a new galaxy" has a lot of problems (FLT travel in a new galaxy, getting to there (cryo sleep ark?), why and when the colonists left (also the amount of colonists would have to be, likely, enormous), and a lot of other issues.
Perhaps most people wouldn't care about those details but me... well, a (back)story with car-sized holes is never a good story in my mind.

I would kinda consider picking/constructing a canon as a reboot in itself, but one using existing content as a template. Reapers dead, galactic politics changed, stuff not necessarily consistent with individual Shepard arcs, but a galaxy that at least has some familiarity.

Woorloog

Banned
I would kinda consider picking/constructing a canon as a reboot in itself, but one using existing content as a template. Reapers dead, galactic politics changed, stuff not necessarily consistent with individual Shepard arcs, but a galaxy that at least has some familiarity.

Basically they'd pick stuff throughout the trilogy, and add and change some stuff, basically an alternate universe sequel, continuing post-ME3 timeframe?

A sequel that's just a fresh start with a few wink-wink nudge-nudge moments is pretty much exactly what I hoped they'd do.

Not sure about Liara, but Wrex would have died of Krogan AIDS way before then.

LOL more than likely. Liara should still be alive unless being the Shadow Broker got her killed.

Having any of the old crew turn up isn't moving on though, so as much as I'd love to see them again, I hope they're not in it. A brief reference would do.

EatChildren

Basically they'd pick stuff throughout the trilogy, and add and change some stuff, basically an alternate universe sequel?

Yes. Picking a canon runs the risk/annoyance of pandering to particular Shepard arcs for the future of series that's not supposed to be about Shepard. Constructing a canon, bits and pieces of existing with maybe a new idea or two, makes it an "impossible canon" in the sense that the game wouldn't be a sequel to your Shepard, my Shepard, or any Shepard anybody played. But it would still be grounded in a universe most players are familiar with, and the Shepard trilogy story arcs would have come to their conclusions.

So it would be like a reboot/alternate universe that at least has some familiarity and existing template to build off.

Gorillaz

They should just final fantasy it and start it from scratch. Nods here and there, some lore staying the same, but make an entirely new storyline

Patryn

Trying to carry over saves from the original trilogy would be an anchor around its neck. It would kill it in the womb.

Let their be save carrying between the games of this trilogy, but it's simply unfeasible to expect them to have to deal with all the variables possible from bringing saves over to this one.

I'm with EatChildren: Just pick a canon ending
do Destroy, but without the negative consequences so basically just that the Reapers are gone and the galaxy had to rebuild at some point
, handwave shit away, and begin again.

Woorloog

Banned
Yes. Picking a canon runs the risk/annoyance of pandering to particular Shepard arcs for the future of series that's not supposed to be about Shepard. Constructing a canon, bits and pieces of existing with maybe a new idea or two, makes it an "impossible canon" in the sense that the game wouldn't be a sequel to your Shepard, my Shepard, or any Shepard anybody played. But it would still be grounded in a universe most players are familiar with, and the Shepard trilogy story arcs would have come to their conclusions.

So it would be like a reboot/alternate universe that at least has some familiarity and existing template to build off.

Right. No better than a sequel in my mind really, i'd rather not have ME3, or it's like events happen. Especially the latter, because knowing things could have been different but weren't, and i had to experience all the crap pisses me off.

Me, i don't need that familiarity beyond the audio-visual design (and perhaps keeping the old species).

In any case, i doubt i will be satisfied with whatever BW comes up with, not after ME3.

I'm with EatChildren: Just pick a canon ending
do Destroy, but without the negative consequences so basically just that the Reapers are gone and the galaxy had to rebuild at some point
, handwave shit away, and begin again.

Picking a canon ending will piss people off. And handwaving stuff away would piss me even more off. As noted, i oppose the game being a sequel of any sort.

jWILL253

Banned
The handing of this seems really botched to me. Stop being so needlessly coy, and tell us what you're doing. So us something other than "We're making this game, but we can't tell you shit about it. So, here's my personal speculation!"

Also, something tells me the story in ME4 won't be any good. BioWare painted themselves into a corner with the way ME3 ended, so if they continue to use the same galaxy setting, they might have to retcon a lot of things...

Woorloog

Banned
Sounds like me3.

The root of all my bitterness and hate toward ME franchise nowadays. Continuing doing things that way would not help any.
A hard reboot might win me back, anything else is unlikely to do that.
Starting anew in a new galaxy could work too but only if they can explain everything without any plot holes or major issues.

Mindwipe

It could be set at the same time as the original trilogy, just in different bits of the galaxy.

That way you could still have oblique references.

None of this would be an issue if ME3's ending hadn't been so stupid and universe ruining.

My best guess is that in the darkest hours of the Reaper War, the Council ensured the continuation of their species and cultures by sending a fleet of ark ships to another Galaxy.

Using the mothership as a base (and a conveniently familiar setting for veteran players), you set out to explore new worlds for permanent resettlement, running afoul of the new species out there.

Top Bottom