• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioware: Mass Effect 4 will reference original trilogy but remain separate

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I'm confused. I mean, at the end of ME3 all the Mass Relays in the galaxy were destroyed, right? And these Mass Relays were built by the Reapers, who all went up in a plume of red/blue/green smoke. So there's no one to rebuild these relays, which means there's no longer a way to travel between galaxies. So if the new trilogy is a sequel, then we will be stuck within a single galaxy. Am I missing something here?

Not that there's anything wrong with being stuck in a single galaxy. There's more than enough stars in a single galaxy to give us a plethora of planets to explore.

MikeK

Neo Member
I hope they go the Infamous/Sucker Punch route with the Story. Just looking at what ending the majority of people saw first and go from there. I liked the trilogy and the ending was rather eh but I trust Bioware to create an amazing experience.

And i really hope that they double down on Multiplayer. So much fun but somewhat limited after x00+ hours

MikeK

Neo Member
I'm confused. I mean, at the end of ME3 all the Mass Relays in the galaxy were destroyed, right? And these Mass Relays were built by the Reapers, who all went up in a plume of red/blue/green smoke. So there's no one to rebuild these relays, which means there's no longer a way to travel between galaxies. So if the new trilogy is a sequel, then we will be stuck within a single galaxy. Am I missing something here?

Not that there's anything wrong with being stuck in a single galaxy. There's more than enough stars in a single galaxy to give us a plethora of planets to explore.

With some of the extended Endings you saw that the Relays were only damaged, not destroyed. I think in the blue Ending you could see how the reapers have started repairing the mass relays.

The handing of this seems really botched to me. Stop being so needlessly coy, and tell us what you're doing. So us something other than "We're making this game, but we can't tell you shit about it. So, here's my personal speculation!"

Also, something tells me the story in ME4 won't be any good. BioWare painted themselves into a corner with the way ME3 ended, so if they continue to use the same galaxy setting, they might have to retcon a lot of things...

This. None of it makes any sense. Even the indoctrination theory is a better ending than the actual ending (and that includes the extended cut dlc). Makes you wonder why
there was the whole breath scene at the end of destroy.

nel e nel

Probably nothing of the sort. If it's a prequel some person will say something like "Hey did you meet my daughter LIARA? She's going to grow up and do great things!"

500px-MatriarchinBenezia2.png

This. None of it makes any sense. Even the indoctrination theory is a better ending than the actual ending (and that includes the extended cut dlc). Makes you wonder why
there was the whole breath scene at the end of destroy.

Indoctrination theory was some fun times, though I don't miss all the aggressive fanaticism from both sides.

I really dislike how they're saying a whole lot of nothing about the game. From the small bits they showed during the EA press conference it was clear that there was more to show to indicate the type of game they were doing. Should have just made some quick little teaser or announcement and left it be.

Game marketing can drive me up the wall.

Daemul

Wasn't there a krogan in the preview?

Krogan can live for atleast as long as the Asari (maybe even longer since no Krogan has ever died from old age, so they could in fact be immortal), so even if the cure is sabotaged they can still go on as a race for a long time.

nel e nel

Indoctrination theory was some fun times, though I don't miss all the aggressive fanaticism from both sides.

I really dislike how they're saying a whole lot of nothing about the game. From the small bits they showed during the EA press conference it was clear that there was more to show to indicate the type of game they were doing. Should have just made some quick little teaser or announcement and left it be.

Game marketing can drive me up the wall.

While I agree that it's frustrating that they aren't telling us much, I actually thought the 'inside the studio' approach of EA's press briefing was kind of a neat change of pace from all the typical bombast that seems to be the norm.

While I agree that it's frustrating that they aren't telling us much, I actually thought the 'inside the studio' approach of EA's press briefing was kind of a neat change of pace from all the typical bombast that seems to be the norm.

I liked it too but showing prototypes and the very very brief footage was a let down imo. Great idea just poor execution

Mindwipe

Bioware claimed they were never destroyed, despite it being abundantly fucking clear they were in the original ending and that everyone would die as a result.

The extended endings edited out all the explosions and showed them being repaired in a desperate attempt to claim that had been the intent all along.

mike4001_

I see the problem that way.

1) Prequel => I do not want it
2) Sequel => Highly problematic due to different ME3 endings
3) Plays the same time but at a different place => Then you will not interact with any know characters or even known races.

Of course they could do same time, same place and just make a "sub-trilogy" between e.g. ME 1&2 but then there is the problem of the threat. If it is small, nobody cares, if it is big => why havend I heard of it playing Mass Effect 2 :)

Mindlog

All right. Sounds like they are definitely going back to the 'Blood Music' tribute. In the sequel you won't recognize the universe. There will be a lot of subtle differences and you'll encounter new species you never heard of before. You will keep playing and slowly come to know all these new races and conflicts. At the end it's revealed you are actually part of a Reaper's subconscious. You were harvested and the species you meet represent the collected million years of Reaping since they first began their dark work. It's a Multiverse where the next 1000 years of game actually happens in the blink of an eye in real time. The Catalyst awakens Reaper subconscious and each Reaper undergoes a transformation that reflects its constituent species. Mass Effect 7 takes place the second after Mass Effect 3 ended. Directed by Danny Boyle. Dictated but not read.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm hoping it's a sequel with a hilariously hamfisted reference to what happened in the trilogy while you're in another galaxy.

Main Guy: "You know, I was thinking back, and it was kind of a bummer when the old galaxy got invaded by Reapers 250 years ago."
Sidekick: "Yeah, thankfully {destroy/control/symbiosis ending}."

Mindwipe

to be honest, I think the destory ending is the only one that makes sense thematically. The Merge/synthesis ending would require a metric ton of explanations to both make sense both thematically when compared to the first trilogy and contextually with this new trilogy. What, everyone is part organic and machine??? The control ending is just too far from the personality of Shepard whether running the good or bad route.

Either control or destroy could work. Under control Shepherd made the Reapers fix some stuff up and then left to explore another galaxy. Under destroy you could easily retcon out the destruction of the Geth to be honest (destruction wave wasn't as all encompassing as thought, the Geth had backups). It would defeat the thematic point of those endings, but literally nobody gives a shit about that.

Synthesis couldn't ever be made to work, new game or just thinking about it for more than ten seconds. Everyone is organic and synthetic now, so a war between the two won't happen. Horray! Right, lets build a robot, which presumably doesn't spontaneously come to life. Welp, now there are organa-synthetics and just synthetics, and presumably the war just happens regardless and the whole thing is pointless.

Any story set after ME3 would just have to decide that Synthesis could never happen and ignore it.

The protheans built one and Aethyta talked about the asari being capable of doing it as well. If it's far enough into the future, even after the destroy ending, I don't think it's completely out of the realms of possibility that the relays were rebuilt/fixed/whatever. We could also find more relays that weren't open during the beam and therefore weren't affected, which would lead to further exploration and then other species.
Krogan can live for atleast as long as the Asari (maybe even longer since no Krogan has ever died from old age, so they could in fact be immortal), so even if the cure is sabotaged they can still go on as a race for a long time.

Well, if they're immortal, I guess the genophage wouldn't have been all that important.
I'm gonna assume that curing the genophage is canon anyway, since I presume it was the most popular decision.

Edit: The problem I have with control is they're gonna have to explain where the reapers went, and that's far too much time dedicated to the previous trilogy already.

dr_rus

I'm hoping it's a sequel with a hilariously hamfisted reference to what happened in the trilogy while you're in another galaxy.

Main Guy: "You know, I was thinking back, and it was kind of a bummer when the old galaxy got invaded by Reapers 250 years ago."
Sidekick: "Yeah, thankfully {destroy/control/symbiosis ending}."

This is essentially worse than a reboot though because this way they'll have to build everything from scratch. All the races should be new in a different galaxy, history and backstory should be completely new. Also I think that ME taking place in our galaxy, with Earth and all was one of its strengths compared to dozens of completely fictional worlds and leaving all of this out of the new ME will be a mistake.

Honestly I would prefer them doing a full reboot without reapers but keeping the same races and mass relays network (built by some old race). ME1's story was great. They should continue from there instead of trying to salvage stuff after ME3.

Zen

Banned
Destroy: Yeah there was a big explosion, we all suffered some damage but are fine, GETH BUILT AN EMP BUNKER TO SURVIVE THE WAR AND IT WITHSTOOD THE BLAST (alternatively/in addition they have become pure AI no longer using physical geth platforms)
Control: Yeah the reapers just up and left, no one knows where they went or what happened to them man! (alternatively they all flew into a black hole and were crushed, that way reapers are dead in all three endings!)
Synthesis: People got green eyes for a while, who knows what happened, but turns out that the StarChild was just a damaged AI full of shit and people still fight!

Dont be surprised if man versus machine is not really a theme in the new entry, and they can throw in some token dialogue if you chose synthesis.

Similarly, no matter what you did to the Krogan, I suspect the outcode of their race for this sequel will be the same anyway, pre determinism is a great philosophy to have when you are writing a long running RPG series!

Also do not be shocked if there is some race or aspect of things that reflects (on a small scale) the possibility of you choosing synthesis, but it is only referenced as such if the green ending was taken. (if they even do ME legacy save imports)

So basically anything you did in the OT will be worthless? The endings should change the 'verse radically each, even the extended cut ones. EDIT assuming it is a sequel.

Anyone familiar with Bioware writing should not be surprised at them sweeping the consequences of the endings under the rug. Bioware writing is the perfect example of writing yourself out of corners through sheer laziness and ambivalence.

MNC

Ugh, this is like BioShock. By having he possibility of endless amounts of cycles, they could go anywhere. I really hope they change the cycle up, so much possibilities. People really want to stay in the Shepard cycle?

Zen

Banned
There are no more cycles after ME3.

People want more of the Mass Effect world as it stood from the SHepherd trilogy because that was the world people loved. It is not like StarWars where you can jump around forever and things are mostly the same, or even Trek in that it was notable eras. You are literally talking about completely different species and civilizations (no humans) in other cycles. The only exception when it comes to people wanting to see another cycle might be seeing the Prothean cycle (due to its ties to the ME trilogy), but no, this series is not ~like Bioshock~.

K_B

I hope they go the Infamous/Sucker Punch route with the Story. Just looking at what ending the majority of people saw first and go from there. I liked the trilogy and the ending was rather eh but I trust Bioware to create an amazing experience.

And i really hope that they double down on Multiplayer. So much fun but somewhat limited after x00+ hours

I also hope they do a sequel and just end up having to pick a canon ending. At this point other than a prequel, this is the only option they have if they want to include the races that we've seen in the original trinity. I wasn't the biggest fan of the ME endings but learned to live with them over time, so I'd be okay if they just picked the most popular one for the sake of moving forward. However, the only ending I'd have a problem with is Synthesis, I don't know how they'd ever have a sequel if everyone has unlimited knowledge and there's no conflict at any time.

Mass Effect 3's multiplayer was such a great surprise. I did not think I would like it at all but ended up putting a lot of hours into it. I hope they include a similar but expanded multiplayer in the next game.

Ugh, this is like BioShock. By having he possibility of endless amounts of cycles, they could go anywhere. I really hope they change the cycle up, so much possibilities. People really want to stay in the Shepard cycle?

The cycles ended with Shepard. Unless you want to go back to previous cycles, which you already know you're gonna lose.

ElyrionX

I really should finish ME3 to finish the ME story but I got so tired of the shitty shooting gameplay halfway through and the fact that you needed to grind multiplayer to get the best ending that I just gave up on it. That multiplayer integration into the main campaign thing really really bugged me.

unbias

Sigh, all this ME3 talk reminds me of the, imo, "real" problem with the endings... They broke the setting. They are so vastly different, and the Green and Blue endings so vastly change the setting, that they kinda killed the ME setting with it. Will be interesting to see how they fix the setting.

Zen

Banned
I also hope they do a sequel and just end up having to pick a canon ending. At this point other than a prequel, this is the only option they have if they want to include the races that we've seen in the original trinity. I wasn't the biggest fan of the ME endings but learned to live with them over time, so I'd be okay if they just picked the most popular one for the sake of moving forward. However, the only ending I'd have a problem with is Synthesis, I don't know how they'd ever have a sequel if everyone has unlimited knowledge and there's no conflict at any time.

Mass Effect 3's multiplayer was such a great surprise. I did not think I would like it at all but ended up putting a lot of hours into it. I hope they include a similar but expanded multiplayer in the next game.

Their cannon choices for SHepard have always been kind of dickish and to the point, so I would not be surprised if they went with destroy (though it is the best ending all the same, it also fits the SHepherd they painted in default carry over states between games).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This is essentially worse than a reboot though because this way they'll have to build everything from scratch. All the races should be new in a different galaxy, history and backstory should be completely new. Also I think that ME taking place in our galaxy, with Earth and all was one of its strengths compared to dozens of completely fictional worlds and leaving all of this out of the new ME will be a mistake.

Honestly I would prefer them doing a full reboot without reapers but keeping the same races and mass relays network (built by some old race). ME1's story was great. They should continue from there instead of trying to salvage stuff after ME3.

There was a Krogan in the trailer so I don't think you have to worry about all new races.

MNC

Who says it had tot end with the reaper war? There are loads of other struggles that could be covered in a game, just like the first contact war and a csec game could exist. It feels like BioShock dlc because instead of going completely crazy with ideas, they're staying within their confines of known environments (rapture)

Oh well, still hyped as fuck though. Didn't me3 have an ending where you could just reset the cycle?

Just retcon the ending to 3.

It was terribad. I don't care. Just say Shepard was knocked out when he or she went to the crucible, and it just killed all the reapers via space magic. Everything is fine, stop talking about the RBG endings.

Ziffles

Yep. Or just go with destroy ending if absolutely needed because that's really the only way to move the story along in a non-ridiculous way.

Yep. Or just go with destroy ending if absolutely needed because that's really the only way to move the story along in a non-ridiculous way.

Don't go too far down this hole with me, though.

I also want him to explain the endings like a dream, and have the rest of the crew make fun of him for it. Specifically, the fucking green ending.

"Combine the DNA of organic and AI? You know how dumb that sounds, right? Robots don't have fucking DNA. You're a god damn moron, Shepard."

I will never be hired to write for games.

Just retcon the ending to 3.

It was terribad. I don't care. Just say Shepard was knocked out when he or she went to the crucible, and it just killed all the reapers via space magic. Everything is fine, stop talking about the RBG endings.

"Entitled", "Artistic Integrity", "Selfish", "Entitled", "Case Hudson", "Genius"

I think this about sums up the response from Bioware to your idea (around when the game came out and dramz started).

Destroy is the only ending they could use.
Green means that everyone's a biological cyber(wo)man with robot-DNA or whatever that bullshit was all about.
Blue means that Shepherd and the Reapers are benevolent dictators, so there's no reason for your Level 1 Soldier to be putting her life on the line to defend the galaxy or whatever. Maybe blue could work, but only if the reapers corrupted Shepherd to become the new antagonist, which would be a bit of a kick in the balls.

I like the idea of the Alpha Centauri arks to another galaxy. Somehow the council have a Plan B and send arks to seed another galaxy. Then you get to explore the new galaxy, while all the old races and animosities flare up again.

Who says it had tot end with the reaper war? There are loads of other struggles that could be covered in a game, just like the first contact war and a csec game could exist. It feels like BioShock dlc because instead of going completely crazy with ideas, they're staying within their confines of known environments (rapture)

Oh well, still hyped as fuck though. Didn't me3 have an ending where you could just reset the cycle?

Yeah, but then the next cycle after Shepard's defeated the reapers instead.

Espi

Banned
Sounds like me3.

sounds like the entire series. Don't know why it's a big deal now

If you let the Council die in ME1, nothing changed. The ending of ME2 didn't matter, nothing in ME3 mattered.

I think the only thing that ever kept over from game to game was punching that reporter in the face, or choosing not to.

Kieli

I'm honestly not too excited for ME.

Each iteration gets more and more dudebro as Bethesda slowly chips away elements that make it a RPG and add more elements that make it a HBO space-romp.

The underlying character interactions aren't bad, but the color-coding insults my intelligence. The trinary choices (good, evil, neutral) aren't particularly interesting either.

I really liked ME1, but started losing interest in ME2 as I began to realize they were embracing the streamlined parts of AAA productions that I don't like (but which appeal to the masses).

Espi

Banned
I'm honestly not too excited for ME.

Each iteration gets more and more dudebro as Bethesda slowly chips away elements that make it a RPG and add more elements that make it a HBO space-romp.

The underlying character interactions aren't bad, but the color-coding insults my intelligence. The trinary choices (good, evil, neutral) aren't particularly interesting either.

I really liked ME1, but started losing interest in ME2 as I began to realize they were embracing the streamlined parts of AAA productions that I don't like (but which appeal to the masses).

bethesda?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
That would be amazing, but it's probably not very likely. The series is founded on having a boring, soulless, human MC.

They had a twitter survey on the most requested feature for the next Mass Effect, and the number one result was playable aliens. This was when we first started hearing about 'the next installment in the Mass Effect franchise.'

Top Bottom