• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioware: Mass Effect 4 will reference original trilogy but remain separate

Zomba13

Best case scenario for me is that the next ME game takes place a long long time after the end of 3. Long enough that anything that happened in that ending has been forgotten and is just legend or something. Kinda like in the shitty google image search winter space picture.

I don't know how I feel about this. I kinda wish they would not reference anything from the first games. Just deal with some unexplored area's of the galaxy.

Of all the characters, why the worst one?

giphy.gif

Do we know the timeline between this and the original trilogy? It might be a case of a thousand year difference. So the reference is just "the battle of a 1000 years ago dictated this and that"

Ascenion

sounds like the entire series. Don't know why it's a big deal now

If you let the Council die in ME1, nothing changed. The ending of ME2 didn't matter, nothing in ME3 mattered.

I think the only thing that ever kept over from game to game was punching that reporter in the face, or choosing not to.
That's the problem with ME3, you never had a real choice before. Save the council? Didn't matter same ending you stop sovereign and save the citadel. Destroy the collector base? Didn't matter same ending you still stop the collectors and kill human protoreaper thing. ME3 its not oh I chose blue, but regardless the reapers die. Its the reapers may die and....I possibly completely change the galaxy forever. The funny thing was people complained their choice didn't matter in ME3 when that was the only time it ever did.

Lakitu

st5fu
what if is James Vega N7 the new mc?

Doubtful, wouldn't mesh with the whole character customisation that you have to do. He already has his own background, story, model, style etc..... plus he was easily my least favourite character in the series next to Jacob. Don't know what they were thinking.

oneils

I think I would prefer a smaller game in scope but more fleshed out so exploring something like the Citadel doesn't feel like four corridors.

Seems now we might get another "The whole galaxy will be destroyed!" scenario only now it isn't even the Mass Effect galaxy.....

:(

This is what I'm hoping for. I want actual cities to have more life in them. I'd be fine with less planets and systems. From what I'm seeing, though, it sounds like they are going to create a galaxy that is bigger in scale than the original trilogy. I think it will just end feeling more empty.

Firebrand

E-mails from the future?

I assume this is going to be a prequel. A sequel would be... kind of weird, even if they pick a canon ending.

It's probably going to be "big and epic", but I'd prefer if it was smaller in scale, like a Salarian spectre taking down a crime boss or something.

Bizzquik

Did anyone from the media ask BioWare if a remastered Mass Effect Trilogy for the XboxOne / PlayStation4 was coming?

Was hoping for an announcement at the EA show on Monday. As that didn't happen, I'm wondering if any gaming journalist got them on record with a status update.

I'm hoping it's a sequel with a hilariously hamfisted reference to what happened in the trilogy while you're in another galaxy.

Main Guy: "You know, I was thinking back, and it was kind of a bummer when the old galaxy got invaded by Reapers 250 years ago."
Sidekick: "Yeah, thankfully {destroy/control/symbiosis ending}."

it's pretty obvious only the 'everybody died' canon will actually work. The other two are bullshit and don't lead anywhere interesting.

there is also no way in hell they are going to succeed in "keeping it separate". I mean like, suddenly they would go with "In a galaxy far, far away, a long time ago..."?

literally everything in these games would be hooked up to the event of the previous ones, so it's really no feasible to think they won't be attached. But it does imply the reapers are gone for good. :(

I want to replay the trilogy, but the rumors of an HD Remaster on new consoles is holding me back.

I hate this bullshit. If I'm going to play it again, I want to play the best possible version. I don't want to get halfway through 2 and have them announce a better version. I waited until E3 and it didn't happen, so I feel more comfortable starting, but who knows. I'd have to wait until Winter before I felt for sure that it wasn't coming.

i'd bet that it's a prequel dealing with the first contact wars and the nods won't be historical in nature, but more wink-y things like pieces of dialogue.
The two things I'd most want from this new game would be either the first contact wars, or Garrus' days at c-sec. Given one of those won't happen, I'll hold out a tiny sliver of hope for the other.

Kydd BlaZe

I want to replay the trilogy, but the rumors of an HD Remaster on new consoles is holding me back.

Played the original games many many many times over, but I would do it all over again with a Remaster Trilogy Edition. Mass Effect is one of my favorite franchises of all time.

I wouldn't mind them to start on a clean new story

wanted to play Mass Effect but after hearing about the M33 ending scenario i was completely dishearted me from trying

but a clean slate and im day 1 baby

MartyStu

I'm hoping it's a sequel with a hilariously hamfisted reference to what happened in the trilogy while you're in another galaxy.

Main Guy: "You know, I was thinking back, and it was kind of a bummer when the old galaxy got invaded by Reapers 250 years ago."
Sidekick: "Yeah, thankfully {destroy/control/symbiosis ending}."

Some men just want to watch the world burn :(

DOWN

Banned
Weird as hell to me that people still want decisions of their to matter in this new story. Let go and be reasonable. They are going to have a few references and so what if it breaks your canon. I want it to be brilliant and sophisticated, not fan service N7 hoodie fest that makes no sense.

Prototype

New galaxy should equal new races, right? With the possible exception of an few well-traveled races.

New galaxy would mean all new races wouldn't it? With out tech like the mass relays none of the ships in mass effect can voyage the immense patches of dark space between galaxies.

New galaxy would mean all new races wouldn't it? With out tech like the mass relays none of the ships in mass effect can voyage the immense patches of dark space between galaxies.

Not necessarily. Depending on how long it is betweeb 3 and this game, any number of species could have replicated or created their own Mass Effect technology.

Zakalwe

Banned
Good for me. I never played the first 3 so if 4 were to continue from 3 I wouldn't buy it.

Rectify this if you can. The first 2 games and parts of 3 are absolutely worth the investment.

-

I honestly don't care where they take it as long as it's a return to form and they're honest about what we're getting.

Melchiah

The two things I'd most want from this new game would be either the first contact wars, or Garrus' days at c-sec. Given one of those won't happen, I'll hold out a tiny sliver of hope for the other.

I don't get the appeal of the first contact war, as we already know how it goes.

So none of our choices will matter!

Gosh get over it. If Mass Effect 3 taught you nothing else its that its time for a hard reset. They need to present realistic choices with a loose plan in mind for future games which they can follow through on.

AKA - Don't make a quest about killing a species only for it to survive because the plot demands it and you've got a level built that you can't afford to scrap for 50% of players.

Mass Effect is at its best when it comes to characters, you're decisions should alter perspectives they have of you and little else. You can't have huge world-building implications for two games and then expect the third one to be vastly depending on these. Its not realistic from a design point.

Squozen

It needs to not reference the original too much because
I stupidly shot at the dude asking me what to do and EVERYTHING DIED.

mechphree

So they will be referencing the trilogy? Interesting. Would like to know about that "nod" they give but I feel it'll probably be in the form of some CG history of what happened in the previous games. I loved the mass effect series but I want Bioware to really prove to me their vision from this game.

I killed Mordin and sided with the Geth to kill off the Quarians, I want to play in a universe devoid of the Krogan menace with a strong Geth presence. Bioware, make it so! :D

Top Bottom