• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioWare shows Dragon Age: The Veilguard "sneak-peak" ahead of tomorrow's "gameplay reveal"

El Muerto

ohhhhhhhh.0.gif

Looks amazing actually. Hopefully it's up there with Baldurs Gate 3 in terms of quality and gameplay.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Gold Member
Gotta agree with Jez on this one....

Truth.

Respect the verticality! The sky, the raining, the lighting, even the crowd gathering, they did a great job with that environment and I want to see more.

ohhhhhhhh.0.gif

Looks amazing actually. Hopefully it's up there with Baldurs Gate 3 in terms of quality and gameplay.
Hard to say now, but I like what they are showing regardless if its not up there with BG3.

This is looking like a day 1 as I loved Dragon Age 1 and 3 quite a bit.

I still need to see a bit more though.

Ristifer

Does look pretty decent from the millisecond of gameplay you can see. Then again, a video of me eating a burger of my own asshair would be better than that first trailer.

Quantum253

That actually looked real good. I don't know why the trailer failed to convey the actual look of the game. The cape moving in the wind and rainy atmosphere made me think of Superman walking out in a part of metropolis or another planet

Exentryk

Never played Dragon Age, but this could be the game that I start with depending on how the gameplay reveal trailer is. I've heard previous DA games have had Gambits from FF12, so if this also has something like that, I'll definitely be keen.

ZehDon

Current-day Bioware are guilty until proven innocent, unfortunately. That DA trailer was literally the worst piece of crap I've ever seen - but it wouldn't be the first time a publisher didn't know how to sell a game. I remember Bethesda fumbling DOOM (2016) with a multiplayer focus marketing push - only for the single player to be the best FPS in literally decades.

semiconscious

Gold Member
Current-day Bioware are guilty until proven innocent, unfortunately. That DA trailer was literally the worst piece of crap I've ever seen - but it wouldn't be the first time a publisher didn't know how to sell a game. I remember Bethesda fumbling DOOM (2016) with a multiplayer focus marketing push - only for the single player to be the best FPS in literally decades.
correct. you're basically seeing the pr department's 'impression' of the game. now, exactly how familiar are the various members of the pr department with the history of the dragon age franchise? who knows...

Red5

At least there's no funky colors in the gameplay trailer, I'll reserve judgement until the full gameplay trailer is released.

March Climber

Gold Member
correct. you're basically seeing the pr department's 'impression' of the game. now, exactly how familiar are the various members of the pr department with the history of the dragon age franchise? who knows...
Nah that’s not a good enough excuse for PR. There’s more than enough fantasy game trailers and even fantasy movie trailers to draw from or copy. They simply dropped the ball.

Croga

While I absolutely hate that reveal trailer and the direction they seemed to be taking the characters to seemingly tick all the "inclusive" boxes, looking at this clip gives me a very small bit of hope. Environment looks amazing.

Let's hope the gameplay reveal isn't dogshit and doesn't finish off this series as it deserves far better then it seems to be getting.

Dragon Age Origins is still one of my favorite games of all time, please don't fuck this up Bioware.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
She's probably gay..;-)

It's hilarious that we've now reached the point where we're unsure if there's a heterosexual love interest in a modern WRPG.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Not pictured: fuckton of UI elements and quest markers everywhere making sure you don't miss any exciting content.

kruis kruis - where's your avatar from?

STARSBarry

Gold Member
She's probably gay..;-)

It's hilarious that we've now reached the point where we're unsure if there's a heterosexual love interest in a modern WRPG.

I'm pretty sure if I remember she can be romanced with either male or female in inquisition (but it's like some unfinished route that goes nowhere) but when she mentions a prior relationship (I believe it's a quest where to find the body of her ex) it turns out it was a woman.

But it's been so long I don't know if I'm just mixing it up with something else.

Last edited:

Apparently they've gone playersexual for this game. Not that it matters when the character designs are mostly aimed at tumblrina tastes. Better hope that freckled pint is appealing to you if you happen to be a straight guy. The asian elf looks like the worst aspects of Cassandra ("romantic") and Peebee (insufferable) combined. Then there's the pegleg black woman with the square glued to her head, who's probably about as likeable as Vivienne was in Inquisition.

The graphics look fine, and were never really a problem. The game looks pretty much what you'd expect from an improved Frostbite version. It's the stylistic choices that are going to make or break it. Personally I didn't care for the style Inquisition went for, it was too garish and vibrant with the fade spell effects, and a significant stylistic shift from Origins and DA2. It seems they've just amped it up to 11 for Tevinter. Tonally, the series has gone to the complete opposite direction from what I hoped. While the trailer may have had an overblown marvel hero-style marketing angle to it, I wouldn't be surprised if it was indicative of the overall tone of the game.

It'll be interesting to see how the ME-style combat will be received. Inquisition struggled to balance between the tactical and real-time combat. I found the tactics mode enjoyable enough on a controller on the hardest difficulty, but I think most just played it pretty casually, since on PC the tactical mouse controls were atrocious. Just giving up and going with ME-style combat is probably an improvement tbh, but it's just going to destroy any tactical depth the game had.

FeralEcho

It looks pretty incredible which is surprising considering the trailer was nothing like that. The writting will make or break this game in the end.

We'll see how it goes,I will say after seeing that I'm interested in seeing the gameplay whereas yesterday I had -10 interest in it.

Stafford

I wonder what combat will look like, we had a leaked clip of combat a while ago and that was clearly real-time. I'd be in favor of that because I just can't get into TB combat.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
The magitech city looks really interesting. Looks like they're going to go more for the high fantasy route.

StereoVsn

I am still meh on this. I don’t trust BioWare further than I can throw any of those Dwarves.

I also don’t believe BioWare writers can do proper job as I suspect this is still a game very much for “modern audiences“ with accompanying dialogue choices, characters and storytelling.

But maybe I am too pessimistic and will be wrong.

I'm a simple man. I just wanna smash the Dwarf gal and occasionally laugh at Bioware failing at making their medieval Guardians of the Galaxy.

s7KTxGj.jpeg
She's probably gay..;-)
I can tell who hasnt played Inquisition. Thats scout Harding. Tho not an official romance, you can flirt with her often in Inquisition and in the DLC theres a small scene where you can unoficially be in a relationship with her if u didnt romance anyone else. At the very least shes BI like most bioware companions.

GC_DALBEN

Its a BIOWARE game, even if the gameplay looks AWESOME please wait for the release, do not preorder (same with BF, another franchise that i loved), the worst game made by BIOWARE is always the next... How could a studio sink so low, DAO, ME1, 2 and 3 are great games...

Last edited:
Top Bottom