• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bird Box - Netflix Movie (No Spoilers)

bitbydeath

This looks good for a Netflix film.
It's about a creature that upon seeing it drives people to suicide which takes out most everyone in the world.

Solomeena

Banned
Who's this scary plastic surgery lady who kind of looks like Sandr....oh.

She literally has Michael Jackson's nose now and this is coming from someone who admittedly like her movies for the most part. Don't judge me to harshly y'all.

dorkimoe

I’m 49 minutes into the movie and LOVING it. I’m sure it’ll fall flat at the end. But so far this is awesome.

Sandra Bullock is the only human I know which has travelled completely through the uncanny valley. She went from human to CGI to animatronic to bad CGI and now to carved out of styrofoam.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
According to my partner it's a middling adaptation of a much better book a lá The Girl With All The Gifts. She recommends just reading it.

I watched 30 minutes of it, very enjoyable. Made me get off my phone.

I'm liking that show tidalwave or whatever it's called too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Catphish

I started watching it last night. Made it about an hour through, but I needed to get to bed. I'll probably finish it tonight.

So far so good. I like the concept. Some of the acting is tight, but what the fuck is Machine Gun Kelly doing in here? He couldn't act his way out of a wet paper sack. The less I see of his goofy ass, the better.

J-Roderton

I started watching it last night. Made it about an hour through, but I needed to get to bed. I'll probably finish it tonight.

So far so good. I like the concept. Some of the acting is tight, but what the fuck is Machine Gun Kelly doing in here? He couldn't act his way out of a wet paper sack. The less I see of his goofy ass, the better.

MGK is in this?? 😆

Catphish

Just finished it. I really liked it.

I liked the concept, I thought most of the acting was really good, especially from Bullock and Malkovich, and I liked the way it was structured. There were some moments of plot convenience, but nothing too damaging.

I appreciate it as one of the more rare films these days that act as allegory. I spent quite some time talking with a friend afterwards about the deeper meaning and symbolism; what the entities represent, what the blindfolds represent, the birds, other elements of the story... And that's a rare thing. Most movies these days are cheap, fast food for the senses and instantly digestible. It's quite uncommon to see something that warrants serious analysis of theme and depth afterwards.

Anyway, I dug it. I'd give it an 8.7.

Last edited:
It's was pretty good, but I was actually disappointed by the monster. The ending was pretty predictable, and a bit lame.

That said I like the characters, and development of.

Last edited by a moderator:

G-Bus

Banned
Watched this with the wife last night. Liked all of it except the last 10/20 minutes or so. Got kind of dumb and predictable near the end.

Really don't care for Sandra Bullock either.

After a quiet place and bird box i have an idea for a film. Creatures or a chemical that you can't smell! you have to wear noseplugs! in my idea a woman light a cue tip on fire and sticks it into one of her nostrils! Like how the chemical thioacetone is so horrifically odorous your brain can't process it.

Last edited:

cr0w

Old Member
According to my partner it's a middling adaptation of a much better book a lá The Girl With All The Gifts. She recommends just reading it.

I misread and initially thought you were saying this was an adaptation of TGWATG and I got very confused for a second.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Oh shit, going to start it. Looks intriguing.

Also I didn't know Machine Gun Kelly was an actor.

jason10mm

Gold Member
It was decent. I would have preferred more time spent analyzing the creatures and how they work (versus just a single speculative info dump by Mr. Grocery Store). It is sooooo nihilistic though. As much as I dislike the "kill one boss creature and the world is saved!!" trope at least there is some hope for humanity at the end. Here there is nothing.

So, it is a form of the rapture, correct? Good people suicide out, bad people stick around inadvertently guiding survivors to heaven, and the meek [aka the blind] inherit what's left? The woman who helped Sandra B up says that she sees her mother, which implies a benevolent vision versus the demon faces the psycho infiltrator draws. Or maybe the demons were just whispering to her via the voices of dead loved ones (are these actual ghost voices or just imitations pulled from your head?) to make her open her eyes? The sister certainly seemed shocked by what she saw.

Anyone read the book this is based on?

Just giving this a thread and a recommendation to other Gaffers.

I watched this last night. It's not scary but is interesting and very enjoyable. Definitely worth a watch imo.

Has a good cast, intriguing setting (very The Happening like) and kept my interest until the end.

Anyone else seen it? If not check it out.

Thriller

Saw it yesterday and couldn't really understand what the hype was about. Some pretty good actors not being used to their full potential whilst trying to build pressure by not showing anything at all. It screamed A quiet place and the ending was unsatisfying for me.

Sandra Bollocks/10

Mahadev

The movie is terrible imo, it has two parts completely disconnected from each other aside from some loose character development. It's pointless, with superficial characters than never have the time to develop and with the ending is so goddamn lazy and
cliche. That last scene at the forest was fucking awful btw, suspension of disbelief went down the drain for me, it was absolutely ridiculous and overacted. Not to mention they didn't even make an attempt at explaining the monsters.

Last edited:

Xenon

Saw this last night, it's definitely a better realized version of The Happening. Of course almost all the drama comes from cliches from every zombie movie there's ever been. Still I enjoyed it for what it was, better-than-average suspense flick

VAL0R

Banned
Lame ending and the
demons(?) were never properly explored.
A Quiet Place was far better.

Last edited:

VAL0R

Banned
Hey dick bag.... Use the spoiler button. :messenger_waving::messenger_winking:
Why, because I called the antagonist(s)
demons? That's not really much of a spoiler given the OP stated there is a creature such that if you look at it you are driven mad to suicide. So you already knew from the OP by implication that there was likely a supernatural, mind controlling, hostile and and evil being that drives people to terrible acts of violence and murder. Others referred to it as a "monster" before me. Maybe you would have preferred that? If you feel any better, they don't go out of the way to declare that these things are in fact biblical demons or something like that, which is why I put a question mark after "demons." Supernatural evil being, monster, evil creature, demon.

Last edited:

TrainedRage

Banned
Why, because I called the antagonist(s) demons? That's not really much of a spoiler given the OP stated there is a creature such that if you look at it you are driven mad to suicide. So you already knew from the OP by implication that there was likely a supernatural, mind controlling, hostile and and evil being that drives people to terrible acts of violence and murder. Others referred to it as a "monster" before me. Maybe you would have preferred that? If you feel any better, they don't go out of the way to declare that these things are in fact biblical demons or something like that, which is why I put a question mark after "demons." Supernatural evil being, monster, evil creature, demon.
****LALALALALALALAL IM NOT LISTENING**********

VAL0R

Banned
****LALALALALALALAL IM NOT LISTENING**********
OK, I'll spoiler tag those two posts.

If it makes you feel any better I watched this movie while eating a plate of chicken wings on the couch. I fell asleep after the movie on top of my wings and awoke in the morning to find a giant
grease stain on the couch.

Last edited:

TrainedRage

Banned
OK, I'll spoiler tag those two posts.

If it makes you feel any better I watched this movie while eating a plate of chicken wings on the couch. I fell asleep after the movie on top of my wings and awoke in the morning to find a giant
grease stain on the couch.
Lol that's much better! What kind of wings?

black_13

Banned
I liked it. I'm glad they didn't show the monsters. Less is better and not everything has to be explained in movies.

Top Bottom