• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bird Box - Netflix Movie (No Spoilers)

Ownage

Sincere apologies to deflect away from Bird Box, which is decent, but also check out The Crew, also on Netflix. Aim for French (original) with English subtitles.

betrayal

Banned
If somebody would ask me for some mediocre movie i would suggest Bird Box. It was nothing special and after about 20-30 minutes it's pretty obvious what the destination they're trying to reach by boat was.

Jon Neu

Banned
The movie had an interesting premise and it had some good moments, but overall it's mediocre at best.

As someone else said; A Quiet Place is a far better movie.

The cop girl was hot as fuck.

Duallusion

Eh, it was a'ight I guess. The smartest thing it did was never actually showing "the monster", given its characteristics.

Typhares

There is something that usually takes me out of the movie when there is an actual 'monster': how the fuck are these monsters everywhere? If they are physical how can they be everywhere in the world all the time just to be 'seen' in seconds of anyone looking? And they travelled to Alaska somehow? I can see why they scrapped showing them because their design was bad too.

Skyr

There is something that usually takes me out of the movie when there is an actual 'monster': how the fuck are these monsters everywhere? If they are physical how can they be everywhere in the world all the time just to be 'seen' in seconds of anyone looking? And they travelled to Alaska somehow? I can see why they scrapped showing them because their design was bad too.

This. This movie has no rules established that make sense.
So the monsters can't enter buildings or cars hm? Ye fuck off.

Just finished watching it and honestly think it's a steaming pile of garbage.
The scene where they cover up the car windows and drive only by GPS made me cringe so hard. Go ahead and try that in real life and see how far you get lol.
The acting was pretty bad too. It was like Malkovich just didn't care at all and wanted it to be over.

Last edited:

gundalf

I actually didn't understood the need for the monsters in the first place but I suppose they where needed in the original book to make the reading more interesting?

Btw, I don't have netflix and saw it because my brother has a netflix sub and came for xmas and just magically streamed it from his Galaxy Note the the television - tech is becoming wild.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
I'm seriously vexed by the fact that
Tom's beard, after 5 years of living in a post-apocalyptic world is exactly the same as it was the day everything went to hell. I can overlook how jacked he still is, there's no way he'd be able to keep that body weight living off scraps but you can't make a guy lose weight for about 10mins of a Netflix film. The beard though? They didn't have a fake one lying around? They couldn't film that part like a month later? 2 weeks later? Fuck, 1 week?
Where's the attention to detail?

Anyway, movie was alright, I guess.

I can see why they scrapped showing them because their design was bad too.
For anyone wondering this is what they were meant to look like:
bird-box-monster-2.jpg

It really is no wonder they cut them. Seeing that would have instantly made the movie a comedy.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It's was pretty good, but I was actually disappointed by the monster. The ending was pretty predictable, and a bit lame.

That said I like the characters, and development of.

I feel the same way. The premise and characters were good. The ending was kinda bad. And the monster was HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
flood gate of eldritch abominations entered the world, though how the mad people could cope is an interesting question.

And this is where the lack of background and lore hurt the movie.

TrainedRage

Banned
It was ok. Great looking film. I love the effectiveness of John Malcovitch. I thought the "love" interest was forced and unnecessary.

The end was laughable. Overall a tense movie with a bad story and some cringe inducing moments. I don't get the hype.

And this is where the lack of background and lore hurt the movie.
Kinda ruin my constant message through the ages
the idea that the barrier between the realm of the divine and the physical would break soon. That all nations would be overpowered by the light of the living truth, mathematical perfection of a general intelligence solution, healing all nations and all people seeing the light, overwhelming power above that of the atom and all military might.

Though that one's supposed to work with its ability to control self-replicating self-modifying molecular machines that would encompass the earth, neutralizing all threats, everything from a petty criminal to a dictator with nukes simply overpowered. People have trouble with roaches and rabbits, let alone a living breathing self-replicating god like perfect lifeform capable of withstanding direct assault with all military including nuclear weaponry and not only remaining unscathed but unhindered in its expansion.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
flood gate of eldritch abominations entered the world, though how the mad people could cope is an interesting question.
I assume they could cope for the same reason people are safe in-doors:
Plot convenience. It's to offer up a threat for when the characters are blindfolded and/or sitting safe in a house. I honestly don't think anyone involved in this movie actually thought of a more detailed reason beyond what made for an interesting movie. Same for being safe in-doors; it makes no sense why the beings can't enter buildings or cars, but if they could there'd be no movie.

You could say all movies do this, but most will generally explain the rules of their universe at one point with at least some reasoning. When a movie doesn't even try -like this one- it's often because there is no reasoning behind it.

The Half in the Bag on this was pretty much spot on with my take.

Also, we should be handing out a few Darwin awards for this bird box challenge.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
It's a good popcorn flick. I was not blown away, but I was annoyed by a few things.
I guess the ending was left open for maybe a sequel?

Sorry for the bump. I just finished reading Malorie, the sequel novel yesterday. I hope it gets a movie. It was better than the first one! Here are some spoilers from the novel i liked;

The creatures have more than tripled since bird box. They probably spilled in from another dimension but have made no efforts to get back where they came from. Olympia (girl) is one of the people that can see the creatures without committing suicide. She confesses that she looked and could see them from the beginning. They travel through a city that is littered with skeletons of people who have killed themselves. Tom and Olympia work together to come up with a way for normal people to see the creatures. (it's some kind of goggles Tom invents. People have tried to come up with ways to look at the creatures, but it all ends in suicide. Tom finally cracks it.)

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
We're the creatures ever really corporal? I. E. Could you shoot one? They seemed kinda ethereal and insubstantial in the film (though I guess they rocked the car, right?). Anyway, the ability to suicide folks through cameras seems like a pretty insurmountable capability for revealing them via other technological means but maybe the book was more grounded versus the film.

Top Bottom