• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Birds of Prey teaser (Harley Quinn)

Javthusiast

Banned
I want to hate this, but I have a thing for Margot

I do too, but every single outfit of hers in this movie shown isn't even remotely as hot as the one from Suicide Squad. It also doesn't help that she lost some of that meat on her bones it seems.

Will watch the movie in theathers if the reviews are good, otherwise on vod later and in the meantime Wolf of Wall Street again. ;)

sol_bad

That's kind of the problem. The action scenes look fine but the rest of it looks super cheap and simple. I was expecting more considering how everyone was talking up the director.

The director is Cathy Yan, her only other film is Dead Pigs which doesn't even have a wikipedia page.
I would assume the action is filmed with a 2nd unit.

That's kind of the problem. The action scenes look fine but the rest of it looks super cheap and simple. I was expecting more considering how everyone was talking up the director.

I've never heard of this woman whatsoever until I started watching trailer reactions a few days ago. Apparently they've only done one other movie, like someone else mentioned above me. If there's anyone talking up the director, it's probably Twitter types pushing the fact she's a female minority (Asian-American) director. They damn sure don't have much any a body of work.

(Unless you mean the John Wick director, who IIRC is not here. They got the fight choreographer from John Wick to help with fight sequences in this film, not the director themselves)

Anyway I'm torn on watching this. The supporting girl cast just seems like they're there for a paycheck, doing the bare minimum. The main villain seems like they're into the part though. I don't read the comics, so I don't know much about any LGBT agenda stuff or whatever. I don't have any issue with BM being gay, but I can understand why fans of the comic might if it's not in line with accuracy to his portrayal in the comic series.

I'm still trying to figure out how that Grace chick from Beyond The Trailer compared this to True Romance, though. I didn't get much of a True Romance vibe from the trailer, but I can see some trace similarities. Now they've got me picturing Patricia Arquette's character somehow driving off to Gotham and going Harley Quinn. Damn cinematic universe crap xD.

Last edited:
There's no real hook to see this movie. Didn't see anything here which says we should spend our time watching it. At this point, we're post-audience film making anyway so maybe it doesn't matter.

Who's willing to bet that the woman directed Birds of Prey will make $$$ and Banks will go "pffff its a comic book movie, of course it has appeal !!!!!"

I feel ya, but I’m not confident BoP will make a lot of money. It seems to have a flop vibe to me but I am wrong all the time

(I pulled this from the CA thread since my reply fit more here)

kunonabi

I feel ya, but I’m not confident BoP will make a lot of money. It seems to have a flop vibe to me but I am wrong all the time

(I pulled this from the CA thread since my reply fit more here)

Yeah, it's a hard movie to get a feel for. Everything about it screams disaster but it's also super difficult to imagine a Harley Quinn movie actually underperforming.

Trailer 2

just dropped

screen’d this from trailer

EBXjExO.jpg

least we see the canary cry too

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
looks like a tv show with a high budget. also they need to come up with some costumes just grabbing random clothes from a thrift store doesn't = costume design.

im feeling like one movie's worth of her Harley was enough for me. her accent isn't doing it for me anymore.

she might have peaked with the ass bend over shot from the SS trailer.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
all the side characters are v dull. this does look like a step up for her character at least. last movie had her being pimped out by the Joker and punched in the face by Batman. then them feeding her jello through the nose. there was a lot of fucked up shit in SS, kinda felt like an 80s Canon Film at times. that's what these modern blockbusters remind me of, 80s b-movie trash. just with higher budgets and worse writing.

Last edited:

sol_bad

It looked better than the last trailer, but still like it's going to be a badly written, overtly woke cringefest.

Also they've clearly gone for 'Hollywood ugly' women, and that Cassandra Cain is a travesty.

It's still not doing anything for me unfortunately. Looks terrible.
:(

I'll still see it though because I'm a slave to comic book movies.

*EDIT*
With my expectations being so low, I'll probably end up enjoying it while everyone else hates it.

Last edited:
I don’t think there’s a thread for it but I just watched the Harley Quinn animated season that came out on DC Universe recently and it’s awesome. Best Harley portrayal ever. Highly recommend

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
So apparently BoP exists in a parallel timeline from Suicide Squad

Don't know what they're talking about there. It's set after Suicide Squad. Harley mentions Captain Boomerang and being arrested by Batman in the movie.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Social media embargo just dropped because the premiere in London just took place. People are praising the action, and that's probably because the director of John Wick was brought in uncredited in reshoots to do all of the 2nd unit action.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
yesterday i was kind of surprised to learn this is rated R

then i realized that it's going to have an R for language and violence, no titties allowed

makes me miss the 90s

let me know when "blood soaked and violent" has been changed to "slutty and revealing" and maybe ill buy a ticket

Last edited:
Top Bottom