• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Birds of Prey teaser (Harley Quinn)

kunonabi

Thursday previews at a dismal 4 million

Shazam did 5.9

The movie was made on the cheap and word of mouth could pick it up but a Harley Quinn movie should still be doing better.

kunonabi

It was a PG-13 movie with more showtimes. More showings + lower ratings = more people paying to see it.
Logan, deadpool, and joker were all R-rated and did more than shazam. No reason Harley couldnt have either.

Deadline reporting a $33.5M estimate for the weekend.

Last edited:

BigAssBoy

That was a pretty mediocre film. it was boring and didn't really get to anything good till the last act.

Last edited:

zeorhymer

From what I heard, it was just a bland movie, cursing just for the sake of cursing, and not really woke as the commercials make it out to be. I think the PR for the movie destroyed it tbh.

MayauMiao

From what I heard, it was just a bland movie, cursing just for the sake of cursing, and not really woke as the commercials make it out to be. I think the PR for the movie destroyed it tbh.

The movie looks unappealing. Harley and her goons dressed up as if their costume designer gave up and picked whatever was available at a thrift store.

The media hyping it as female empowering is only making things worst.

Lupingosei

Banned
Our higher prices theatre here with the fancy reclining seats has 3 sold out shows but they are only 30-40 ish seats but that's a good sign in this area it will do well.

I checked again, still empty or almost empty. So I guess world wide it will be closer to 65 million than the projected 110.

iorek21

Watched it yesterday, it's a fun movie, but there's not much to talk about it other than photography and color palette.

Margot Robbie nails it as Harley, but I wish the supporting cast was better.

Gotham City Sirens would be much more interesting than what we got

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Hmm, budget of $85m according to Box Office Mojo. Not a good sign.

It's a perfectly OK movie as far as action films go. I'd give it 2.5/5 stars. But to cast that wider net and attract large audiences WB/DC needs to learn that if you're going to make superhero movies, then lean into it and make superhero movies based on the actual characters from the comics.

Harley is the only one that is a faithful adaptation of the character. Huntress is just some woman with a crossbow. Renee only resembles comic Renee in that she's a cop and latina. Black Canary is completely unrecognizable - if you presented me a picture of her and asked "what DC character is this" I would draw a blank, and that should not happen with a character as visually recognizable as Black Canary. Cassandra Cain is one of the coolest Batman characters of all time and in this she's just some fat kid. Etc.

WB/DC will never learn.

Mato

I think the movie's look isn't doing it any favors. I've only watched a couple of trailers, but it kinda looks like Suicide Squad (a movie that I also couldn't be bothered to watch). It tries to look colorful and "fun" in ways that I don't care much for. The main lead's acting seems interesting though.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I think the movie's look isn't doing it any favors. I've only watched a couple of trailers, but it kinda looks like Suicide Squad (a movie that I also couldn't be bothered to watch). It tries to look colorful and "fun" in ways that I don't care much for. The main lead's acting seems interesting though.
The trailers are not good. If it wasn't for A list I would of skipped it and I have seen every super hero film in theatres at this point.

It sure looked pretty woke. I didn't want to watch this since Suicide Squad almost gave me Super AIDS, I think that's a dangerous combination. Woke Suicide Squad could end humanity.

Lupingosei

Banned
I have to correct myself, 65 million seems too high. It is Sunday and theaters are still empty or have 2-6 seats booked.

I have never seen anything like this, maybe next week Sonic will be more successful.

A Sonic movie is maybe more successful than a Superhero movie. :messenger_fearful:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I have to correct myself, 65 million seems too high. It is Sunday and theaters are still empty or have 2-6 seats booked.

I have never seen anything like this, maybe next week Sonic will be more successful.

A Sonic movie is maybe more successful than a Superhero movie. :messenger_fearful:

I saw 1917 last night and word of mouth hasn't traveled here as I expected. There were more 1917 people than Birds of Prey.

ruvikx

Banned
Why would you make this R when Harley Quinn was so popular after PG13 Suicide Squad.

Was she? I thought the general consensus was Suicide Squad is one of the absolute worst DC movies made in recent years. I unfortunately saw it & it's indeed complete (almost unwatchable) trash. As for Margo Robbie as Quinn, she was trying way too hard with the "wooo I'm a crazy exuberant person!" schtick, just like that idiot Jared Leto ruined his Joker.

The Arkham video game series had the "real" Harley Quinn: she's annoying, she's crazy & she's (here's the crux) a villain. No one was told to see Joker & identify with Joker as a "good guy", but from the previews, reviews & marketing I'm getting the impression they've attempted to turn Quinn into a heroine or something "good" (which girls can use as an inspiration) in Birds of Prey. It's messed up.

I see talk of film critic hypocrisy as far as labeling Joker's violence as disturbing while conversely celebrating Harley Quinn killing people, basically saying the different tone of BoP makes it okay for main character to murder people for the same people who clutched their pearls over Joker

Also

Can anyone who has seen the film comment/confirm/deny the “all men are bad” and “most of the male chatacters are ‘rapey’” criticisms of the film?

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
It turns out this is WBDC's worst opening weekend in a decade (Jonah Hex). I didn't expect this movie to do gangbusters after seeing the trailers, but I also didn't expect it to not even reach Shazam! figures.

welp, I guess audience has no appetite for female empowerment movie of any kind, the theme just had a back-to-back-to-back-to-back bombs

- Terminator
- Charlie's Angels
- SW: TROS (not a bomb, but disappointing)
- Underwater
- Birds of Prey

and don't blame men, ....male accounts for 52% compare to 48% female for BoP

All you have to do is look at instagram and see the majority girls there have completely different taste than what the Hollywood feminists are selling. Girls between 16-30, the biggest spenders, are still interested in cute, pretty, romantic things, they still want to have boyfriend/husband, wanna be pampered by their boyfriend, they still want puppies, bikinis, romantic vacation, dresses, cosmetic, presents, gifts, flowers, cooking, etc. They have no fucking interest in being the tough girls saving the world......that's the men's job as far as their concern

Eat your losses Hollywood!!

in summary, Get Woke Go Broke!!

EDIT: you notice that with this woke Hollywood, romantic comedy genre is practically disappeared, when in fact this used to be the favorite genre for female audience. Hollywood feminists insist to portray female as tough girls saving the world. Romantic girls are not allowed

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
I don't know how much marketing affected the opening weekend, but the second you start up that bullshit "female empowerment" machine, a lot of people tune out.

Compare that to the narrative leading up to the release of Wonder Woman - as in, there really wasn't one. Gal Gadot was even criticized by some loons for not pushing the feminist angle hard enough and recently just stated that these movies are for everyone, not just strong wahmenz.

It could also just be that this movie has less appeal and isn't very good. I can't say as I haven't seen it yet.

cryptoadam

Banned
Im just gonna apologize and take responsability. Its all my toxic masculinity fault. If only I stopped telling every girl I meet to make me a sandwhich and pop out a baby these movies would be making billions. Please Hollywood forgive me for my sins. I promise to cuck myself and drink a lot of soy. This way hopefully the female Willy Wonka movie will be able to make money.

welp, I guess audience has no appetite for female empowerment movie of any kind, the theme just had a back-to-back-to-back-to-back bombs

- Terminator
- Charlie's Angels
- Underwater
- Birds of Prey

All you have to do is look at instagram and see the majority girls there have completely different taste than what the Hollywood feminists are selling. Girls between 16-30, the biggest spenders, are still interested in cute, pretty, romantic things, they still want to have boyfriend/husband, wanna be pampered by their boyfriend, they still want puppies, bikinis, romantic vacation, dresses, cosmetic, presents, gifts, flowers, cooking, etc. They have no fucking interest in being the tough girls saving the world......that's the men's job as far as their concern

EDIT: you notice that with this woke Hollywood, romantic comedy genre is practically disappeared, when in fact this used to be the favorite genre for female audience. Hollywood feminists insist to portray female as tough girls saving the world. Romantic girls are not allowed
Actually hadn't considered this. What has happened to chick flicks? Neither my tomboy wife or I give a stuff about them, so we hadn't noticed.

After asking my sisters in law though, neither of them could really think of any being out for years, and commented that that was possibly why they hardly ever go to the cinema anymore.

Not that I imagine one would do that well anymore. The mainstream media would absolutely rip a traditional romance to shreds for being 'problematic'.

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

I hope Warner doesn't expect this to do as well as Joker. Most people don't know Birds of Prey. Maybe they should have called this just Harley Quinn. Also the character might have many young fans so they can't see this because of the R rating.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

- Terminator
- Charlie's Angels
- Underwater
- Birds of Prey

3jhevp.jpg

A couple of The Birds were miscast. Rosie Perez is 55 and it shows on her action scenes. Her punches are hilarious. Jurnee-Smollet was ok, but her action scenes were bad too. Since she wears super tight jeans/pants all throughout the movie, she can barely raise her legs to land a proper powerful kick. Thus making her fighting look not convincing at all. Winstead was cool, even if they tried to make her as unsexy as possible. But shes barely in the movie. Harley was great. It's like in every scene where they're together the stunts people focused on making her standout. Shes actually believable, Even with all the slow motion and shit. Oh and the fat little asian girl was told to make an ugly face throughout the whole movie, because she sure looked punchable all the time.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I just saw it. It was pretty fun! Not the best... But it was kinda like the Harley Quinn cartoon on DC Universe.

Also.... The Asian girl (the little one, not the DA) is Danté Basco's niece. You know... Prince Zuko.

ETA: the action was good and that Canary cry!

I think Batman was name dropped (no captions at my theater)

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Oh yeah. Margo Robbie has amazing thighs! But no butt. Such a conundrum!

ETA: And as far as I could tell... There wasn't a "all men are bad" message. Yeah the main jerks were men, but so were some of the women. The best parts were the whole 3rd act and the police station scene.

Last edited:

sol_bad

- Terminator
- Charlie's Angels
- Underwater
- Birds of Prey

The movie already made it's production budget back, now it just needs to recoup it's advertising budget which it might do by weekend 2.

*EDIT*
Romcoms don't make much money at the cinema anymore.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
The movie already made it's production budget back, now it just needs to recoup it's advertising budget which it might do by weekend 2.

*EDIT*
Romcoms don't make much money at the cinema anymore.

There's one coming out next month. Stars Issa Rae and the Indian guy who's starring in The Eternals in November

DiscoJer

I hope Warner doesn't expect this to do as well as Joker. Most people don't know Birds of Prey. Maybe they should have called this just Harley Quinn. Also the character might have many young fans so they can't see this because of the R rating.

It's absolutely baffling. Harley Quinn is probably DC's biggest character (going by Halloween costumes), yet they handle it so badly

sol_bad

Last edited:

- Terminator
- Charlie's Angels
- Underwater
- Birds of Prey

I agree with you.

My wife and her friends are real lefties. But we both laugh at this bizarre and frankly pernicious idea that has engulfed Hollywood which dictates women will eventually have almost exactly the same tastes as men and inside they've been waiting to watch dumb violent action movies as long as its a woman 'kicking ass'.

Well guess what, there's a fucking biological difference whereby women have much less testosterone and therefore are much less violent and by extension, like violence much less than men. And that's great, thank fuck for that otherwise there'd be much more bloodshed each day ☺

But Hollywood don't give a shit about any societal collateral caused by trying to feed violent female 'icons' to female moviegoers, including kids, they just see this still untapped demographic that they want to make $$$ from and nothing else.

Top Bottom