• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Birds of Prey teaser (Harley Quinn)

TriSuit666

Banned
The movie looks unappealing. Harley and her goons dressed up as if their costume designer gave up and picked whatever was available at a thrift store.

The media hyping it as female empowering is only making things worst.

The costume choices 'at a thrift store' was deliberate on the part of the costume designer AND Margot Robbie.

Durask

EDIT: you notice that with this woke Hollywood, romantic comedy genre is practically disappeared, when in fact this used to be the favorite genre for female audience. Hollywood feminists insist to portray female as tough girls saving the world. Romantic girls are not allowed

They are obsessed with the Bechdel test which immediately eliminates any kind of heterosexual romance.

The movie already made it's production budget back, now it just needs to recoup it's advertising budget which it might do by weekend 2.

*EDIT*
Romcoms don't make much money at the cinema anymore.

BoP is far from breaking even. Studio get to keep 60% domestic number and 40% of the oversee number. Rule of thumb is 3X of production budget, so for this movie, 85M x 2.5 = 200M for it to break even

Last edited:

sol_bad

BoP is far from breaking even. Studio get to keep 60% domestic number and 40% of the oversee number. Rule of thumb is 3X of production budget, so for this movie, 85M x 2.5 = 200M for it to break even

Now you are pulling figures out of your butt in regards to domestic and overseas.

Now you are pulling figures out of your butt in regards to domestic and overseas.
Actually a quick google search looks like he's infact being really quite generous, as that's the high end take the studio would get if the movie made over $300m.

Given how badly it's performed, theres a couple of articles that indicated BOP might only be making 45% domestic and as low as 15% internationally.

Even if we're super generous and go with a straight 50% cut worldwide, it's only made just over $40m on a reported $90m budget.

If we go with the usual model of sales dropping by about half each week, and a standard 4 week run followed by another 2 in half the theatres, then it's only making another $38m.

That's well under budget, even without the usual doubling of probable expenditure to account for costs and marketing, or the reported extensive reshoots. If this behaves like a normal movie, they could be looking at a $100m loss.

And again, that's being generous.

If what I read about the lower end of the take and effect of underperforming is true, then its way, way worse than that.

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

It's absolutely baffling. Harley Quinn is probably DC's biggest character (going by Halloween costumes), yet they handle it so badly
At the same time I'm glad they took the risk and made this R rated. The movie was good. I hope Sony does the same and makes Venom 2 R rated. There were rumors that they were considering it after Joker's success.

Last edited:

TriSuit666

Banned
It was a terrible decision and now they are paying the price.

Why? It seems the film has already broken even on the production budget.

(I'm not defending the film by the way, I cancelled the tickets I'd bought for Friday, and felt quite smug doing so)

Just as an aside, are we also factoring in the massive loss that's being made on Dolittle?

Last edited:

TriSuit666

Banned
You will only get half of the money, half goes to theaters.

Yes, I realise it's still not in profit (it probably won't make the marketing budget back), but films can still technically 'be in the black' even before they're released through various means, and creative accounting.

(And again, I'm not defending the film at all, I really can't stand the tack they've taken with it, and hope it's another signal to people who commission said rubbish that the market won't stand for it)

Last edited:

Sygma

Wonder Woman will probably make bank and this will be forgotten. Horrendous marketing, locking harley to a R rating and no word of mouth sure isn't helping. Also its tied to Suicide Squad which is one of the worse comic book movies

Last edited:

-Troid-

Banned
KWC3Cf6.jpg

Dacon

Banned
Why

I have no idea who she is supposed to be aside from a thief

She's the second Batgirl, an all around badass. She's the daughter of Lady Shiva and David Cain, raised to be an assassin, was never taught anything other than how to fight, she couldnt even speak or read for a while until various things happened. She's one of my absolute fav Batman characters, she had the ability to predict people's next moves in a fight based on their body language.

They threw all that out of the window in this shit film to turn her into a fat Harley Quinn fangirl. What a fucking joke.

MMaRsu

Banned
No shit. Of course only people who read comics know what happens in them.

"Only literature nerds know shit about books that get adapted into movies"

Well yeah, but I mean just because that happened in this movie, doesn't mean shit for her character in the end.

They could still do a Cassandra Cain Batwoman V2 movie, 10 years from now or whatever.

MMaRsu

Banned
What exactly makes her a legend tho?

she's done some fun roles but nothing that would give her legendary status at all.

I also thought she was the chick from My name is earl

954962269544296449-png__700.jpg

Last edited:

Doom85

I thought the movie was fairly good. Not among the best of the DCEU, but not among the weakest either. The fight scenes were pretty fun to follow (the final fight wasn't as well-choreographed, but they made up for it with just a fun energy to it). Some of the jokes didn't land, but some did. I would have preferred if Huntress had gotten a little more focus (yeah, Harley is by far the most focused on, but even Montoya and Black Canary get significantly more focus than Huntress), and seriously why even name the character Cassandra Cain if you're going to have the character share 0% in common with the comic character. Movie should have ended with Huntress taking her under her wing instead, would have at least been putting Cassandra in the direction of the comic character, but the way she was in the movie they should have just made her a movie-original character with her own name.

Was nice to see Zsasz in a supporting role (since he was really just an Easter Egg in Batman Begins), although I must have missed hearing his name said several times as I only heard it during the final act and was like, "oh shit, that's him!" Also cool seeing Ewan McGregor play a villain (he's probably done so before, but it's the first time for me seeing him play one).

Why does Hollywood always cast these short and frumpy looking asian women?
Just compare it to anything coming out of Japan, Korea, China etc. Complete opposite,

The actress for Cassandra Cain is 13. Why does it matter to you what she looks like?

Isaak

Neo Member
The actress for Cassandra Cain is 13. Why does it matter to you what she looks like?
Because they are playing the diversity and representation game and thus it's fair to point out that whoever is doing the casting seems to have a thing against Asian people, especially women.

Doom85

Because they are playing the diversity and representation game and thus it's fair to point out that whoever is doing the casting seems to have a thing against Asian people, especially women.

They cast an Asian woman (well girl, but the script clearly calls for a teenager given her family life). I'm not sure what you're talking about.

GreyHorace

Ah... another industry'professional lamenting the poor box office of this film. This time it's legendary comic book writer Gerry Conway, co-creator of The Punisher, blaming teenage boys for wanting to see Margot Robbie's tits and ass that she showed off in Suicide Squad.

pc9krhj0l3g41.jpg

For the record, I'm neither a teenage boy and though I do want a glimspe of Margot Robbie's tits and ass it's not reason enough for me to watch this film. The trailers were enough to convince me to give this film a pass.

Also, it's nice of Mr. Conway to insult the teenage male crowd with his remarks. Nevermind the fact that teenage boys were the main audience of superhero comics and movies and they're probably are tired of being disparaged and told to being part of the problem. Like I said before in the thread on Charlie's Angels, we men are not entitled to give money to female led movies out of some misguided show of empathy. Fuck off with that virtue signaling bullshit.

Last edited:
Ah... another industry'professional lamenting the poor box office of this film. This time it's legendary comic book writer Gerry Conway, co-creator of The Punisher, blaming teenage boys for wanting to see Margot Robbie's tits and ass that she showed off in Suicide Squad.

pc9krhj0l3g41.jpg

For the record, I'm neither a teenage boy and though I do want a glimspe of Margot Robbie's tits and ass it's not reason enough for me to watch this film. The trailers were enough to convince me to give this film a pass.

Also, it's nice of Mr. Conway to insult the teenage male crowd with his remarks. Nevermind the fact that teenage boys were the main audience of superhero comics and movies and they're probably are tired of being disparaged and told to being part of the problem. Like I said before in the thread on Charlie's Angels, we men are not entitled to give money to female led movies out of some misguided show of empathy. Fuck off with that virtue signaling bullshit.

Why is he so obsessed about what young boys find attractive?

Captain Marvel" and "Wonder Woman" where hits because they provided powers, big special effects and yeah, beautiful women who looked good in tight fitting outfits.

lol what?

euTxGy0.jpg

kunonabi

So apparently John Wick's director was second-unit director and stunt coordinator on this. No wonder the action scenes looked well-shot.

Sad thing is a bunch of reviews gave Yan credit for the action scenes despite him being brought in to fix her mess.

lock2k

Banned
Why does Cassandra Cain look like a Buddha statue? lmao

I wanted to watch this because Margot Robbie + Mary Elizabeth Winstead, but I think I'll wait and watch it at home.

Mihos

Gold Member

pc9krhj0l3g41.jpg

Or maybe they marketed it as not being for men at all. I am not going to pay $20 to go to sensitivity training.

Movie may not be like that at all, but it was sold as that. When you tell a huge part of your audience that it isn't for them, then don't be surprised when they so "OK" and don't show up.

Last edited:

lock2k

Banned
Or maybe they marketed it as not being for men at all. I am not going to pay $20 to go to sensitivity training.

Movie may not be like that at all, but it was sold as that. When you tell a huge part of your audience that it isn't for them, then don't be surprised when they so "OK" and don't show up.

Liking tits is misogyny now. lol

What a stupid world we live in nowadays.

NickFire

pc9krhj0l3g41.jpg

He needs to stop smelling his own farts. If what he says is true, then the people involved in the movie's production need to grow the hell up before the piss away more of other people's money. Mature people don't condone or encourage actors and actresses to make a movie that strips away a large chunk of the audience's favorite part, all to make a stupid political point or to test a hypothesis that anyone with a functioning brain can tell you is incorrect, and then complain because the comic book audience is not "mature" enough. A mature person might instead say "Margot, I totally understand your point of view, but let's be real. We are only able to make this movie because people loved your previous portrayal of the character. You are a very talented actress and will have plenty of opportunities to make movies that convey the message you want to send. But this is a comic book movie, and your physical portrayal of Harley was as much a part of what made the actual audience love your performance as anything else. Save the messaging for films where the audience will be receptive."

I might not be a young woman but it was still part of the target audience. What I had to say on Imdb:

Better than the 2002/3 Birds of Prey show and that´s it
I have been reading DC comics since the mid-90s, actually liked Suicide Squad Extended Edition (it was weirdly comic accurate by the standards of these adaptations) and I love Harley´s new TV-Ma rated cartoon but I had to force myself to pay attention here. The film has little to do with anything, neither the performances nor the visuals stand out and both the direction and writing feel a bit amateurish as they are done by no-name newcomers. I can fully believe that this was a troubled production and I don´t get how any of this cost 85 million to film. Gotham or most of the Marvel shows on Netflix honestly "felt" more expensive.
Don´t ask me where the Golden Tomato on RT came from as I struggled to enjoy myself despite being the target audience. The middling Metascore is way more accurate. I don´t necessarily think that the film derives to flop, which it actually might after the abysmal opening weekend, but I honestly don´t care for a sequel either. WB should have done a Gotham City Sirens starring Harley and a Birds of Prey film starring Batgirl instead with seasoned directors and writers. David Ayer and Jared Leto might get the last laughs here, lol. Good luck James Gunn, you might need it.
All in all the worst DC life action film since Green Lantern and I would have given the film a full point more if it wasn´t burdened by a cringe-inducing narration that can´t stop. 5/10

An actual Birds adaptation and obviously overall better done:

sol_bad

The box office was adjusted down on Box Office Mojo. Quite interesting.

I'll admit that I was put off when there was no Harley T&A in the trailers.

Dark Phoenix opened with $32.8M domestic and $103.7M internationally for a grand total of $136.5M worlwide.

Let that sink in.

....and according to sol_bad sol_bad BoP is doing just fine...:messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

sol_bad

Dark Phoenix opened with $32.8M domestic and $103.7M internationally for a grand total of $136.5M worlwide.

Let that sink in.

....and according to sol_bad sol_bad BoP is doing just fine...:messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

OI
I said it would probably make it's marketing budget back by weekend 2. But with the numbers being adjusted down by 2 million, I'm not so sure it will happen.
:p

I still don't know where you are getting your facts about the 60% and 40% numbers though.

I agree with Obi-Wan that the film had misogyny as a theme and Black Mask arguably hates women in the comics due to how War Gamers changed him in the mid-00s BUT there is nothing smart being said about that or how society TM is treating women. The film´s leads (including the 2 male villains) are further unlikable in a bad way. I don´t even got how any of this is supposed to be empowering but audiences ain´t buying it either. On to better things like her new cartoon:

Who knew that Kaley Cuoco can act but she actually can! Crossover with Venture Bros when? I wonder how long it will take for LGBT elements to show up (i prefer her and Ivy as friends) and there were basically none worth speaking about in the film. Y7-rated cartoon now have openly gay kids in them but an R-rated movie about a bisexual lead can´t? I don´t get it WB. I just don´t get this film...

The film is in danger of breaking even as it would need to cross 211,25 mil with the usual 2,5 times the budget rule in play:
The new Terminator was a fun watch and I am "fine" with Ghostbuster 2016 and the properly successful Captain Marvel but we really need a better class of female lead action/geek films. I can name hundreds of dramatic films, tv shows, anime/cartoons or games with female leads that were good or at least printed money but modern Hollywood is doing some rather weird stuff when it comes to female lead genre films.
Save us Wonder Woman 84. You legit look good and are built on a proven foundation.

Edit: Dark Phoenix was borderline cancer and is worse than X-men 3. The fucking 90s toon had no budget yet it ran run circle around both when it comes to this historic story. Argh!

Last edited:
Top Bottom