• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Birds of Prey teaser (Harley Quinn)

McCheese

Turns out the secret to defeating 100 armed men is just to kick them all in the nuts, then finish them with a completely random and unexplained xmen super power.

Film was fun but they needed to turn down the "men are all bad, hah" shit by at least three notches, was borderline offensive.

Ewan and huntress were great, the rest not so much. Most of the movie feels like a setup for the final 30 minutes.

Last edited:
It looks like it's not renamed in Europe... yet. European titles were not quite as retarded. The changes are up on US websites.

They still have time to print a small batch of new main posters for next weekend lol

Yep. See what I mean when I say that this film has no idea what it wants to be. Harley and the Birds only meet in the last 20 minutes. She doesn´t get along with them or joins them and the Birds don´t even form on-screen by the end. You only hear that they do in the stupid narration. I don´t even know... Fucking Arrow (S02 and enough of S05 are legit good) did Huntress and even Canary better and it fucked up Canary.

The film´s rookie writer will be fired off The Flash within a week and the director equally messed up as another one had to come in for re-shoots. RIP Flash.

Last edited:

Kreen101

He needs to stop smelling his own farts. If what he says is true, then the people involved in the movie's production need to grow the hell up before the piss away more of other people's money. Mature people don't condone or encourage actors and actresses to make a movie that strips away a large chunk of the audience's favorite part, all to make a stupid political point or to test a hypothesis that anyone with a functioning brain can tell you is incorrect, and then complain because the comic book audience is not "mature" enough. A mature person might instead say "Margot, I totally understand your point of view, but let's be real. We are only able to make this movie because people loved your previous portrayal of the character. You are a very talented actress and will have plenty of opportunities to make movies that convey the message you want to send. But this is a comic book movie, and your physical portrayal of Harley was as much a part of what made the actual audience love your performance as anything else. Save the messaging for films where the audience will be receptive."

That cuck's rant is self-contradictory anyway, because people who went to see Birds of Prey still went in large part because Margot Robbie is a beautiful actress, a beautiful face. They may not have gotten to see her T&A but they still probably enjoyed looking at her as a beautiful woman. That's why producers cast attractive people: we enjoy looking at them. So basically it's still superficial no matter how you look at it.

I don´t get Gerry´s takeaway. Who he is:

The film had meh marketing and didn´t look like "appointment cinema". That´s why people didn´t show up. We´ll see about the film´s legs but a wonder would need to occur here. The B+ CinemaScore is another problem.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

Yep. See what I mean when I say that this film has no idea what it wants to be. Harley and the Birds only meet in the last 20 minutes. She doesn´t get along with them or joins them and the Birds don´t even form on-screen by the end. You only hear that they do in the stupid narration. I don´t even know... Fucking Arrow (S02 and enough of S05 are legit good) did Huntress and even Canary better and it fucked up Canary.

The film´s rookie writer will be fired off The Flash within a week and the director equally messed up as another one had to come in for re-shoots. RIP Flash.

Correction: you SEE them as a team at the end. You didn't see them fighting those goons? Just the 3 of them. As a unit. Huntress has an almost comic accurate top and domino mask in that last scene. Even Dinah's outfit is a bit more comic accurate.

I don't remember Renee's costume.

Huntress was the worst part of the film DeafTourette DeafTourette . She gets a puke/10. Arrow S01 did her better it trashed her character so hard that she got dropped. The reshoots tried to put her family's execution into the center of the film for some reason as the diamond plot was clearly something else originally (who knows about the dick picks) and boi oh boi is all of it bewildering. Fake Batgirl at least had a personality but no thanks to her too. I actually had to see her as a fully original character to not get triggered. Zsasz got butchered and he should be un-fuck-upable. Renee is just some lady that is mostly used for cop show jokes (how is any of this supposed to translate btw?) and Dinah comes off as despicable and nearly irredeemable. Even the Canary Cry got butchered due to bad choreography and effects. Harley is... whatever but I liked her in SS. You know what. Black Mask was the closest to being entertaining and even he didn´t work. We are now 0/2 with him in life action due to Gotham, overall a good show, and he bearly worked in Arkham Origins on top. He can´t be hard to adapt as Under the Hood shows but he apparently is.

I am all for radical reinventions of source material if you got a take (Blade, Blade Runner, Joker, Scarface, The Shining, The Thing or even Burton's/Nolan´s Batman) but yeah... not like this. More rounds of shakeups at WB are cleary to follow. Fucking kill me but at least these producers need to go and take writer Christina Hodson with them.
We now live in a world where Alfred got an actually good prequel show that is renewed for S02. I would have laughed you in the face if you told me any of this a decade or even 5 years ago.

Was Renne´s sexuality even mentioned? The comics won awards for her coming out story (i didn´t fully love it but later books did wonders with her), comic Canary might be bi, Harley for sure was since TAS + it´s tie-in comic and don´t ask me what this film tries with the 2 villains. WB drummed up that it would have such elements cuz yow know, it kinda should? This is the least gay LGBT film I ever saw and is further an "agenda film" without an agenda. This film, I swear to Zodd. The movie in gif form:
giphy.gif

Edit: This is at least better than the last Harley film (4/10), so there is that:

Last edited:

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Actually hadn't considered this. What has happened to chick flicks? Neither my tomboy wife or I give a stuff about them, so we hadn't noticed.

After asking my sisters in law though, neither of them could really think of any being out for years, and commented that that was possibly why they hardly ever go to the cinema anymore.

Not that I imagine one would do that well anymore. The mainstream media would absolutely rip a traditional romance to shreds for being 'problematic'.

Netflix happened. MUCH safer bet putting them on streaming service. You’ll have the oddball every once in awhile (Crazy Rich Asians) but yeah, you want date night til you movies, you gotta go streaming.

I am all out of DC/comics or even movie making wisdom but this meme is gold:
hcukv65hnpf41.png

Wonder Woman 1984 may have had weird reshoot stuff but it has a hook, a strong trailer and a marketable premise. DC will survive and thrive in the summer but the DCEU pseudo-canon needs to die. Especially once The Batman and The Suicide Squad hit. My lord and Zaddy had a neat plan but it died even before JLA hit so move on and put a proper bullet in it. And no Crisis/Flashpoint either. Just move on and focus on making films that don´t set up anything besides a direct sequel for the protagonist and nobody else.

Edit: The Snyder Cut (I don´t even need fully finished effects) is a must though but maybe not now. Especially after Birds. Man... the number of people that this film dicked over. (Producer-)Ego runs amock - The Movie I say.

Last edited:

sol_bad

Many movies have reshoots. It's part of the film making process these days. Why is there negativity surrounding 1984's reshoots?

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

The movie is now called Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey:

Positive word of mouth couldn’t help the Birds of Prey soar over the weekend. Although it earned decent reviews from critics, the new earned a disappointing $33 million in its first three days in theaters. Now, in an effort to bolster its box office performance, it looks like Warner Bros. is orchestrating a last-minute rebranding. ComicBook.com brings word that some theater chains are now calling the film Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey.

The report indicates that AMC and Regal, the country’s two biggest theater chains, have already adopted the film’s new name. That name change is reflected on their respective sites, even though it clearly doesn’t match what appears on the poster. However, ticketing websites like Fandango still present the title as Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn).

Thye should have called the movie like that originally. People don't know Birds of Prey and Harley Quinn is the main character so it makes more sense. The movie is great so I hope people go to see it.

Last edited:

MayauMiao

Thye should have called the movie like that originally. People don't know Birds of Prey and Harley Quinn is the main character so it makes more sense. The movie is great so I hope people go to see it.

They should have also picked better costume designers because the birds looked more like a bunch of clowns.

Guardians of the Galaxy was a complete non entity even in the comics and made over a billion dollars.

A good movie with good marketing will draw in an audience and keep it regardless of what it's called.

Shit like this killed the films box office

and the author of the article saw it coming
“Birds of Prey” will be released on February 7, 2020. If the social messages that McGregor speaks of are indeed prevalent throughout the film, that may not bode well for its box office potential
I don't want to be educated by hypocrits in Hollywood like Margot Robbie who was playing a sex object in Wolf of Wall Street and was pretty much the same in Justice League. I will watch your movie someday in a few years, but it's a rent at best.

NickFire

That cuck's rant is self-contradictory anyway, because people who went to see Birds of Prey still went in large part because Margot Robbie is a beautiful actress, a beautiful face. They may not have gotten to see her T&A but they still probably enjoyed looking at her as a beautiful woman. That's why producers cast attractive people: we enjoy looking at them. So basically it's still superficial no matter how you look at it.
Totally true.

Last edited:
Bruh..... reported.
Ghostbusters 2016 is the most forgettable film of all time but its harness schlock. It´s even better written and directed that GB 2.
200.webp

I am an outspoken feminist btw. Spooky, I know.

feminism
/ˈfɛmɪnɪz(ə)m/
noun: feminism
  1. the advocacy of women's rights on the ground of the equality of the sexes.
Not that this film does anyone any good or GB 2016 for that matter. I would have watched an improved sequel to GB: Anser The Call, another semi-rename, but my interesting Ghostbuster - Stranger Things 2020 colorized is currently nonexistent.

Edit: Harley is apparently in The Suicide Squad 2021. I don´t get how the canon is supposed to work but there is no real canon anymore.

Last edited:
Guardians wasn't R rated and it was part of MCU.
So what? Birds of Prey featured Harley Quinn in all it's marketing, one of the most recognisable and well loved DC Supervillains, coming off the back of the billion selling Joker and Suicide Squad.

If you want an even more damning comparison, there's the similarly R rated but at the time complete unknown Deadpool.

A recognisable name doesn't hurt, don't get me wrong, but the DC brand isn't exactly keeping audiences away from good movies, and being R rated has been thoroughly proven to be no hindrance to success to comic book movies these days.

This movie bombed because it looked terrible, it wore it's unpopular extremist political views on its sleeves, and its marketing told its target audience and fan base they were unwelcome to see it, all while clearly having no respect for the sauce material or desire to tell a good story.

Last edited:
Glad to see these feminist projects bombed one by one, ....so what's next on the horizon??

Get Woke Go Broke is a powerful meme against this so-called 'progressive' woke Hollywood

Last edited:
Glad to see these feminist projects bombed one by one, ....so what's next on the horizon??

Get Woke Go Broke is a powerful meme against this so-called 'progressive' woke Hollywood
Captain Marvel 2 will be the big one.

In the meantime I'm more interested in WW1984 and Black Widow, neither of which are pushing the woke narrative, and just look like good superhero movies.

If both those succeed without any woke bollocks, it'll make this whole 'men won't watch these films because they're sexist' diatribe even more obviously a pile of rancid wank.

sol_bad

I don't think Harley Quin is really that popular to begin with. Yeah, she is with comic fandom but not to general audiences. The first time general audiences saw her was in Suicide Squad and that was shit.

Expectations should have always been low for box office results, just not this low.

Just got back from watching it. I thought it started strong but devolved into garbage as it went on. My eyes rolled to the back of my head when Rosie Perez reacted to the ACE Chemical explosion with "oh my god, this means Harley broke up with Joker"

Also, I REALLY didn't like the casting of Cassie Cain - her acting sucked and she literally looks like a blowfish.

So yeah.. both Birds of Prey and Suicide Squad are average at best movies but I think I liked SS more.

Yoda

So I don't think I've ever heard of a movie changing titles after it has officially launched, has this happened before?

Why is this movie woke exactly?

Its just bad

It's a Hollywood female empowerment project. They even advertised as such, go see the interviews about this movie.

To me female empowerment means women being good mother, being the pillar of the family, loyal wife, etc. it's more of conservative view of female empowerment. Woke Hollywood hates that point of view, Hollywood's female empowerment is all about women replacing men, women acting tough kicking men's ass, etc

So it is woke, and now it's broke

MMaRsu

Banned
Its not woke at all, none of these are positive role models or anything like that. Kicking the bad guys ass? No not at all, most of the time these women were the terrible ones.

But w/e keep thinking that everything that doesnt have a woman as a nurturing mother is instantly woke, what a fucking joke.

is Kill Bill a woke movie too? Because it features women kicking mens asses? 😂

MMaRsu

Banned
Its just a boring forgettable movie, just like Ghostbusters was a terrible movie.

Havent seen suicide squad but im sure thats garbo too

is Kill Bill a woke movie too? Because it features women kicking mens asses?

Woke culture didn't even exist pre-2015. Seinfeld, Friends, and all other good shows back in 90s and early 2000s broke every single rule in SJW handbook and yet they were the most popular shows on TV at the time

Woke culture started to arise in 2012-2015 because of these reasons
- The rise of social media
- When Soros donated most of his money, totalling 20-billions+ dollar, to social advocacy groups

Last edited:

Ballthyrm

Who knew that Kaley Cuoco can act but she actually can! Crossover with Venture Bros when? I wonder how long it will take for LGBT elements to show up (i prefer her and Ivy as friends) and there were basically none worth speaking about in the film. Y7-rated cartoon now have openly gay kids in them but an R-rated movie about a bisexual lead can´t? I don´t get it WB. I just don´t get this film...

The new cartoon is really good.
The humor is on point and the voice over is top notch from the whole cast.

I really like Alan Tudyk version of Joker.

DKehoe

Gold Member
Woke culture didn't even exist pre-2015. Seinfeld, Friends, and all other good shows back in 90s and early 2000s broke every single rule in SJW handbook and yet they were the most popular shows on TV at the time

Woke culture started to arise in 2012-2015 because of these reasons
- The rise of social media
- When Soros donated most of his money, totalling 20-billions+ dollar, to social advocacy groups

What do you define woke culture as? What's the difference between it and political correctness?

#Phonepunk#

Banned
yes! 2016: The Year Feminism Broke.
en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Bernie_Bro
Bernie Bro - Wikipedia

Definition. Robinson Meyer, a writer for The Atlantic, coined the term "Bernie bro" in an October 17, 2015 article to describe a phenomenon in which young, white, progressive men were accused of "hectoring their friends" on Facebook to support Sanders.
en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Bernie_Bro
note how it was a man who coined the term "Bernie bro" to denigrate other men. this is the pattern throughout all of this. men co-opting feminism in order to denigrate other men. the media, paradoxically, being toxic males, in order to fight male toxicity.

it is a lot like the Gamer Gate stuff. i did not follow what that was all about. everyone involved seemed very sketchy. but then mainstream magazines started writing "Gamers are dead" articles. i was like, what? um? huh? it was articles by gamers, people who play video games for a living, saying that gamers were all horrible people. again, it was this weird toxic behavior sold as a strawman. it was like i was being attacked for a hobby of mine all of a sudden. it is poor form to attack your audience. very unprofessional. you would get fired from any service job by acting like these people.

the promotional cycle for Harley, unfortunately, indulged in this kind of marketing. so i stayed away. i think a lot of people did. it's not that i hate the movie or think it is a secret plot to kill men, it's just i have limited time and attention, i don't need to go out of my way. probably see it on Redbox around thanksgiving or something.

Last edited:
Top Bottom