• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Bish's Official GTA IV Thread of Comparisons and Ignoring the OP at One's Peril

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Jun 6, 2004
29,794
13
0
Canada
*ahem*



I know what you're gonna do before you do it, so allow me to head things off at the pass.

This is the thread where we post our comparison shots and video footage of the brand new release from Rockstar Games, Grand Theft Auto IV.

This is the thread where cool, reasoned discussion takes place regarding the benefits and drawbacks - real and imaginary - of each platform's approach to hosting Rockstar Game's new opus, Grand Theft Auto IV.

This is not the thread where you manipulate screenshots and repost them with the intent of supporting your system of choice.

This is not the thread where you post pictures of a man being milked by a machine.

This is not the thread where you post pictures of a woman with massive tits and an even larger belly, wearing sunglasses, a bikini, and a smile.

This is not the thread where you - yes, YOU - post your snarky system wars bullshit posts and expect to get away with it.

That particular thread has run its course, has been closed and moved to the Archive forum.

The behaviour exhibited there will not be exhibited here.

Andrewfee, Dot50Cal and others will be along shortly with pictures and video.

Do this the right way.

Do this the right way.

Carry on.
 

Dot50Cal

Banned
Jul 27, 2006
4,500
0
0
www.the-horror.com
Ok, so I picked up both versions despite my better judgment. I've taken video of the intro as well as street level but the only area to properly compare them is when both versions show the absolute same image with no deviations. So this rules out gameplay (I'll post impressions for both later).

PS3 has warmer colors, which might be the source of the "clinical vs warmer" quote from SAm Houser. Its also softer (thanks to the upscale from it not rendering in full 720p).

360 has a sharper look, as we know its running native 720p. Its got a more "game" look to it thanks to the 360's output.

I'll have a nice new comparison vid for gamersyde whenever Blim wakes up and can post it, the new format will be pretty nice I think, Heres a preview:

http://dot50cal.the-horror.com/gta4/example.jpg

So anyone with a monitor thats not 1080p might want to get a low res stream.

PLEASE DONT SHIT THIS THREAD UP WITH "ZOMG AM SUPERIOR" You can do that at Gamefaqs, and I don't want this thread shut down because of fanboy nonsense. This is for the multi-console owners who can't decide which version to get.

Pics:







As of right now, I can't tell which version I prefer. Framerate seems the same on both, but I'll have to play a bit more to confirm that.
 

CharminUltra

Member
Mar 26, 2006
13,594
6
1,285
Dot50Cal said:
Its got a more "game" look to it thanks to the 360's output.
I wish you would explain this a bit more.

What do you mean by "game look"? It doesn't make sense whatsoever...
 

Dot50Cal

Banned
Jul 27, 2006
4,500
0
0
www.the-horror.com
Mister Chef said:
I wish you would explain this a bit more.

What do you mean by "game look"? It doesn't make sense whatsoever...

PS3 has warmer colors, which makes it look more natural. By "game" I meant that characters faces look a bit pale compared to the PS3's output. Sorry for any confusion.
 

Gary Whitta

Member
Nov 21, 2005
19,403
0
0
San Francisco, CA
The fact that I can barely discern where one version of these screenshots ends and the other begins says everything about what a non-issue the graphics are when deciding on a version. There are plenty of interesting reasons to pick one version over another (achievements, friend lists, DLC, controller preference, free multiplayer, system noise etc etc) but how anyone can look at those split screenshots and say that graphics are a factor is beyond me.
 

professor_t

Member
May 12, 2006
3,478
0
0
Confidential
It looks like it really might boil down to personal preference. So far, there doesn't appear to be anything here that justifies a 100-page thread complete with man-boobs and doom trees.

The 360 version definitely looks a little sharper to me, but I think the advantages of the PS3 version might be more evident in shots that better capture the scale of the city.
 

h3ro

Member
Aug 15, 2007
25,996
0
935
NY
Dot50cal, I knew you'd come through with both versions :p Thanks for putting up the shots, game looks great... I'm installing now, this is part of my five minutes of doom...

Are you keeping them both?

Oh, and thanks for this thread Bish, see you online too!
 

Dot50Cal

Banned
Jul 27, 2006
4,500
0
0
www.the-horror.com
professor_t said:
The 360 version definitely looks a little sharper to me, but I think the advantages of the PS3 version might be more evident in shots that better capture the scale of the city.

360 is definitely sharper. Most likely due to it being run in native resolution.

h3ro said:
Dot50cal, I knew you'd come through with both versions :p Thanks for putting up the shots, game looks great... I'm installing now, this is part of my five minutes of doom...

Are you keeping them both?

Probably, I have a friend in Japan who I can sell the PS3 version to, so I can at least make some money back on it. Hope this helps multi-plat owners, Cause I just wasted 60 bucks for you :lol
 

Schrade

Member
Apr 12, 2007
7,065
117
1,405
Mister Chef said:
I wish you would explain this a bit more.

What do you mean by "game look"? It doesn't make sense whatsoever...
I would assume "more fake" and less tv video-like?
 

kbear

Member
Nov 15, 2007
4,007
1,154
1,560
Dot50Cal said:
PS3 has warmer colors, which makes it look more natural. By "game" I meant that characters faces look a bit pale compared to the PS3's output. Sorry for any confusion.
The first pic you posted with the two face makes it seem your contrast is way up. The PS3 colors don't look realistic. Imo, the 'game' look is PS3 from the first pic not 360. Are you sure your contrast is OK?
 
Mar 6, 2007
2,831
0
0
Mister Chef said:
I wish you would explain this a bit more.

What do you mean by "game look"? It doesn't make sense whatsoever...


It's not the best way of putting it exactly because both versions clearly look like a game, but the ps3 version thanks to the more subdued or softer look gives off a certain look about it that I find attractive and I'm sure some would considering more "real" as it were.

Dot50 is technically right and I believe even I once said a similar thing, but if there is a better way to say it other than saying the 360 version looks more like a game (a damn good one at that) I haven't come up with it yet.

Don't take the 360 version looking more like a game as a putdown because it isn't, but not sure how else to really describe it.

Edit :: One thing I think has to be said though is what Dot50's pictures show very clearly I think is what I was trying to say before. Both versions look good, but the deciding factor between the 2 may very well just be your personal preference. Some may prefer the look of Niko's face in that cutscene on the PS3 version and some might like his face on the 360 version.

I think if the rest of Dot50's screens look as good as the ones he has there then people should be able to REALLY see what I was trying to say about the different styles, but probably didn't do too good a job of.
 

Surfheart

Member
Oct 1, 2006
2,362
1
0
Australia
Gary Whitta said:
The fact that I can barely discern where one version of these screenshots ends and the other begins says everything about what a non-issue the graphics are when deciding on a version. There are plenty of interesting reasons to pick one version over another (achievements, friend lists, DLC, controller preference, free multiplayer, system noise etc etc) but how anyone can look at those split screenshots and say that graphics are a factor is insane.

Indeed. I would also add framerate. I felt the PS3 version was a little more "hitchy" than the 360 version, but then I was in the warm fuzzy glow of omfg this game is amazing when I played that, so I would need to look at it again to really compare.
 

CrapSandwich

former Navy SEAL
Sep 10, 2006
1,576
1,299
1,550
360 version looks cleaner... especially in the third pic where the character looks fairly messy.

BTW I'm not sure how this thread can aspire to being reasonable considering its focus on nitpicking some trivial differences.
 

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Jun 6, 2004
29,794
13
0
Canada
Considering it's going to be the most heavily-moderated thread in quite some time, I think we'll be OK.
 
May 19, 2005
25,274
6
1,300
Maryland
Ah, some actual real nice comparison shots. I kept wonder what the reviewers/impressions were talking about in terms both games have a slightly different overall looks with the PS3 "warmer" talk.

The first shot is the most contrasting telling of the visuals between the two with it's lighting differences.
 

Dot50Cal

Banned
Jul 27, 2006
4,500
0
0
www.the-horror.com
kbear said:
The first pic you posted with the two face makes it seem your contrast is way up. The PS3 colors don't look realistic. Imo, the 'game' look is PS3 from the first pic not 360. Are you sure your contrast is OK?

Yes, same equipment is used for both systems.

Another thing I should say, the color difference shown here is more than the default color difference between 360 and PS3. PS3 retains the "original image" much better for colors, while 360 jacks up the vibrancy a bit. The difference shown here is likely done via the game code itself, probably lighting.
 

Gary Whitta

Member
Nov 21, 2005
19,403
0
0
San Francisco, CA
Maybe this thread will die a quick death as there really isn't much sensible discussion to be had, at least based on screenshots from what I can see. The previous thread only became epic because it quickly degenerated into a NSFW CSI Miami parody of itself.
 

WickedCobra03

Member
Oct 12, 2007
2,854
0
1,015
Gary Whitta said:
The fact that I can barely discern where one version of these screenshots ends and the other begins says everything about what a non-issue the graphics are when deciding on a version. There are plenty of interesting reasons to pick one version over another (achievements, friend lists, DLC, controller preference, free multiplayer, system noise etc etc) but how anyone can look at those split screenshots and say that graphics are a factor is beyond me.
I personally think that the PS3 looks better with its warmer color in this case. But more than anything, it was system noise. I am prolly going to be putting like 50-100 hours into this game and I dont want to hear a Jet-takeoff for 50-100 hours!
 

Dot50Cal

Banned
Jul 27, 2006
4,500
0
0
www.the-horror.com
Video is going to be quite large, I hope Gamersyde can take the bandwidth hit. Don't expect this to be up until about 4 hours from now, though. I have to go to work for 3 hours soon, so I'll be MIA for a bit.

Heading to the tree of doom now :lol
 

Dot50Cal

Banned
Jul 27, 2006
4,500
0
0
www.the-horror.com
Loudninja said:
Dot50Cal,can you some pics take some during gameplay?

Lighting will be totally different, and people would use the pics as bait in the wrong context. However, I'll try to snap one pic for you guys. Gimme a moment or two.
 
Mar 6, 2007
2,831
0
0
This is good hopefully this thread will be a lot more civilized. Anyway off to go play some GTAIV :D

Also Dot50 one thing I'm interested in seeing and you can do it yet again using the game's intro if you like.

The difference in the faces in the first shot was expected, but a bit more than I was expecting. Is it possible that you can get the entire 360 pic and the entire ps3 pic for some of those images?

Also yea I was just about to point out the likely lighting differences from shots taken through gameplay. Different lighting conditions can sometimes make all the difference in the world when trying to properly represent the game so it's good that you have that in mind.
 

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Jun 6, 2004
29,794
13
0
Canada
Gary Whitta said:
Maybe this thread will die a quick death as there really isn't much sensible discussion to be had, at least based on screenshots from what I can see. The previous thread only became epic because it quickly degenerated into a NSFW CSI Miami parody of itself.
Sadly, you're probably right. No harm in trying, however.
 

Loudninja

Member
Jul 30, 2007
53,088
3
0
32
Chicago
Dot50Cal said:
Lighting will be totally different, and people would use the pics as bait in the wrong context. However, I'll try to snap one pic for you guys. Gimme a moment or two.

I am sure people are already using your pics man :D
 

CrapSandwich

former Navy SEAL
Sep 10, 2006
1,576
1,299
1,550
The point was that no matter how reasonable people behave in the thread, the triviality of the comparisons are unreasonable. Not that there isn't a good reason for this thread to exist, because I think there is. But the absurd tone of the prior thread well suited the subject matter. This thread is like getting a bunch of physicists together to discuss pop music. The last thread was like getting a bunch of morons together to discuss their favorite candy. One is in harmony with its context, and one isn't.
 

professor_t

Member
May 12, 2006
3,478
0
0
Confidential
CowboyAstronaut said:
I think if the rest of Dot50's screens look as good as the ones he has there then people should be able to REALLY see what I was trying to say about the different styles, but probably didn't do too good a job of.

No, you did a pretty good job but the inmates were running that particular asylum. :D
 
Mar 6, 2007
2,831
0
0
CrapSandwich said:
The point was that no matter how reasonable people behave in the thread, the triviality of the comparisons are unreasonable. Not that there isn't a good reason for this thread to exist, because I think there is. But the absurd tone of the prior thread well suited the subject matter. This thread is like getting a bunch of physicists together to discuss pop music. The last thread was like getting a bunch of morons together to discuss their favorite candy. One is in harmony with its context, and one isn't.

I think this one will be a lot more civilized with the thread being so heavily modded.

haha professor that's one way of putting it :lol
 

Surfheart

Member
Oct 1, 2006
2,362
1
0
Australia
CrapSandwich said:
The point was that no matter how reasonable people behave in the thread, the triviality of the comparisons are unreasonable. Not that there isn't a good reason for this thread to exist, because I think there is. But the absurd tone of the prior thread well suited the subject matter. This thread is like getting a bunch of physicists together to discuss pop music. The last thread was like getting a bunch of morons together to discuss their favorite candy. One is in harmony with its context, and one isn't.

Hopefully once everyone has the game we will all be too busy playing it to post in here. Unless it's a slow day at work of course. :D
 

Dot50Cal

Banned
Jul 27, 2006
4,500
0
0
www.the-horror.com
Ok, I wasn't expecting this big of a difference. This is taken during the same time, exactly. 360 has a much more green palette. Also, look at the shadows. They are dithered on the edges for 360, while they are nice and clean on PS3. I think someone on B3D was saying that 360 uses FP10 for HDR, and PS3 uses FP16, which would probably explain the difference. Heres the pics:





Also, Blim has asked me to keep the vid short, so those nice dual screens on the bottom will be gone. Sorry guys.

Edit:
FFUUUUCCCCCCKKKKK!!!!!

http://dot50cal.the-horror.com/gta4/NOOOOOO.jpg

This is just a GUI fuck up, right? right?? Anyone else getting this??
 
Mar 6, 2007
2,831
0
0
Dot50 those last shots show it perfectly. Now with some brighter lighting conditions people should be able to really see the different styles and what they do for each version of the game.

I preferred the ps3 look of the game BECAUSE of that difference in style. It makes things feel a bit moodier if that makes any sense at all.
 

Lobster

Banned
Oct 22, 2006
11,988
1
0
Sydney
z11.invisionfree.com
The difference is there obviously but it looks to me that it is only in the warmer colours. The texture quality still seems the same to me.

Pop-in doesn't bother me too much and it honestly doesn't look too bad.

Thats just me though. Graphics don't bother me too much :)
 

Raistlin

Post Count: 9999
Jun 17, 2004
44,490
1
0
Dot50Cal said:
Ok, I wasn't expecting this big of a difference. This is taken during the same time, exactly. 360 has a much more green palette. Also, look at the shadows. They are dithered on the edges for 360, while they are nice and clean on PS3. I think someone on B3D was saying that 360 uses FP10 for HDR, and PS3 uses FP16, which would probably explain the difference. Heres the pics:

http://dot50cal.the-horror.com/gta4/360.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://dot50cal.the-horror.com/gta4/ps3.jpg[iMG]

Also, Blim has asked me to keep the vid short, so those nice dual screens on the bottom will be gone. Sorry guys.
[/quote]


Thanks for all the work you're doing. Definitely loving the lighting in this game.

[quote]
Edit:
[B]FFUUUUCCCCCCKKKKK!!!!![/B]

[url]http://dot50cal.the-horror.com/gta4/NOOOOOO.jpg[/url]

This is just a GUI fuck up, right? right?? Anyone else getting this??[/QUOTE]

That isn't on your new 360 is it!?!? >_<

Shit, that looks like an impending GPU fail.


GTA4 claims its first victim?
 

Dot50Cal

Banned
Jul 27, 2006
4,500
0
0
www.the-horror.com
No, its my retail that was replaced after it RROD'ed at the very end of Halo 3.

I gotta run to work now guys, video will be in Blim's hands within 4 hours from now or maybe less if I can pop in when the boss isn't looking (sorry!!!)
 

Raistlin

Post Count: 9999
Jun 17, 2004
44,490
1
0
Sorry about your 360. :(



Looking forward to seeing the video tomorrow. Okay ... I'm really going to bed now :p
 

BeeDog

Member
Aug 2, 2007
15,495
0
0
Sweden
This topic proves you definitely can't go wrong with either version this time around for a multiplat game.

I still :lol at the .gif in the first post, hopefully that kind of pop-in won't be too common in the retail versions.
 

Dot50Cal

Banned
Jul 27, 2006
4,500
0
0
www.the-horror.com
Is Arne still a community manager guy for MS? Can he help me out here? I'm afraid to turn it on now, but I'll check for Phantom Tree when I return from work. Hopefully whatever that was will not return.
 
Jun 6, 2004
68,810
0
1,570
Dot50Cal said:
Is Arne still a community manager guy for MS? Can he help me out here? I'm afraid to turn it on now, but I'll check for Phantom Tree when I return from work. Hopefully whatever that was will not return.
no, but CPaladino can probably do something...

maybe this was a sign that a new thread was a bad idea?