• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bitboys delivers, kicks ass and takes names... Reggie over ?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Comparison chart

Physical features G30 G32 G34 G40

Maximum clock frequency (1 150 MHz 200 MHz 200 MHz 200 MHz
Interfaces AMBA, customer specific AMBA, OCP, customer specific AMBA, OCP, customer specific AMBA, OCP, customer specific
Frame buffer size Up-to 1024x1024 Up-to 2048x2048 Up-to 2048x2048 Up-to 2048x2048
Frame buffer modes 16-bit 16/32-bit 16/32-bit 16/32-bit
Z-buffer modes 16-bit 16/32-bit 16/32-bit 16/32-bit
Stencil buffer modes 1-bit 1/4/8-bit 1/4/8-bit 1/4/8-bit

General features
Architecture Fixed-function pixel pipeline Fixed-function pixel pipeline Programmable geometry processor with fixed-function pixel pipeline Progammable geometry and pixel processors
2D graphics acceleration Yes Yes Yes Yes
3D graphics acceleration Yes Yes Yes Yes
Vector graphics acceleration No No No Yes
API support OpenGL ES 1.0, Direct3D Mobile, M3G OpenGL ES 1.1, Direct3D Mobile, M3G OpenGL ES 1.1, Direct3D Mobile, M3G OpenGL ES 1.1, Direct3D Mobile, M3G
Transformation and lighting Software Software Hardware Hardware
OpenGL ES pixel pipeline Yes Yes Yes Yes
Vertex shaders No No Yes Yes
Pixel shaders No No No Yes
Anti aliasing Supersampling FLIPQUAD FLIPQUAD FLIPQUAD
Early Z-check No Yes Yes Yes
Point rendering Yes Yes Yes Yes
Line rendering Yes Yes Yes Yes
Triangle and quad rendering Yes Yes Yes Yes

Texting features
Number of textures/pixel 1 2 2 4
Maximum texture size 256x256 1024x1024 1024x1024 1024x1024
Perspective correct texturing Yes Yes Yes Yes
Texture LOD Per-triangle Per-pixel Per-pixel Per-pixel
Projected textures No Yes Yes Yes
Texture formats 4/8/16-bit 4/8/16/32-bit 4/8/16/32-bit 4/8/16/32-bit
Compressed texture formats DXT1 PACKMAN, DXT1 PACKMAN, DXT1 PACKMAN, DXT1
YUV texture formats UYVY, YUY2, YVYU UYVY, YUY2, YVYU UYVY, YUY2, YVYU UYVY, YUY2, YVYU
Bilinear filter Yes Yes Yes Yes
MIP-mapping Yes Yes Yes Yes
Trilinear filter No Yes Yes Yes

Shading
Perspective correct shading Yes Yes Yes Yes
Ambient and Gouraud shading Yes Yes Yes Yes
Specular shading No Yes Yes Yes
DOT3 blend mode No Yes Yes Yes
Alpha blending Yes Yes Yes Yes
Dithering Yes Yes Yes Yes
Fog Yes Yes Yes Yes
Internal color precision 6-6-6-6 10-10-10-10 10-10-10-10 16-16-16-16

2D graphics
BitBlt Yes Yes Yes Yes
Fill Yes Yes Yes Yes
Raster operations Yes Yes Yes Yes
Rotated copy Yes Yes Yes Yes
Color keying Yes Yes Yes Yes

1) TSMC 0.13 process

http://www.bitboys.com/comparison.php

64 Bits per pixel of internal precision (FP16 or FX16 ?) for the G40, Vertex and Pixel Shaders, 200 MHz, DOT3 blending, per-pixel tedxture LOD, anti-aliasing, texture compression, etc...

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Society said:
Nice post FLIPQUAD! Now what does it mean? :(

FLIPQUAD is their copyrighted AA method.

I do not know the specifics of it, but it should be some kind of multi-sampling AA method.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
· Programmable pixel processor with support for pixel shaders
· Support for dependant texture lookups
· Hardware vector graphics rendering (SVG Basic level)
· 64-bit internal color precision
· Programmable geometry engine with support for vertex shaders
· 2D and 3D graphics hardware acceleration
· FLIPQUAD full-screen high-quality anti-aliasing
· Scalable performance with core clock frequency
· Efficient memory architecture and accesses
· Support for screen sizes up-to 1024x1024 anti-aliased
· Texture mapping, two textures per pixel
· Bilinear, MIP-map and trilinear texture filtering
· Support for compressed textures (PACKMAN and DXT1)
· Perspective corrected rendering
· Fog effects
· Z-buffer and stencil-buffer
· 2D bitmap copy and fill operations
· Raster operations
· Sprite processing
· 32-bit color precision, 64-bit internal

Bump-mapping on cell-phones.

On paper this GPU sounds very kick-ass, I want to see how many Vertex Shaders and Pixel Shading ALUs it has (and how well they have been implemented) before I decide.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
MightyHedgehog said:
Yeah, but how much faster will this sucker drain my cell phone battery?

The G40 ? I do not know, but I would not be too worried,

Screens are usually the biggest battery-life drainers.

Cell-phones have no moving parts, small and not very bright screens.

Of course, with normal cell-phones screens I'd think all this power would go very much wasted so for a phone that has a screen that makes the GPU justice, then yes, I'd be a bit worried (still, we have no moving parts, only ROMs and SD cards).

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
demo_hangar_xc_2.jpg

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
SpoonyBard said:
Nope, Bitboys is a vaporware company.

Except not, as they have a NEC license already and other waiting to be announced.

News and press releases

Bitboys Licenses G34 Graphics Processor to NEC Electronics

(Espoo, Finland - August 10th, 2004) Bitboys today announced that it has licensed the new Bitboys G34 graphics processor to NEC Electronics. The Bitboys G34 graphics processor is licensed as an IP (IntellectualProperty) core.

[...]

http://www.bitboys.com/news_events.php?action=read&id=10082004b

They have silicon now, they are launching chips now.

Panajev2001a said:
Except not, as they have a NCE license already and other waiting to be announced.

They have silicon now, they are launching chips now.

and the phantom was a real console too. They have silicon now, they are launching chips now

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
TheGreenGiant said:
and the phantom was a real console too. They have silicon now, they are launching chips now

Does the phantom have support from a company the size of NEC ?

Are you scared for some reason ?

Meier

I love how pana always makes these posts like this and doesn't explain them at all in the initial post leaving everyone confused as fuck.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Meier said:
I love how pana always makes these posts like this and doesn't explain them at all in the initial post leaving everyone confused as fuck.

It is called, post now so you don't become old-news ;).

Panajev2001a said:
FLIPQUAD is their copyrighted AA method.

I do not know the psecifics of it, but it should be some kind of multi-sampling AA method.

playstation brand has corrupted your pselling.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Meier said:

I did explain some stuff, plus you guys already know all the techno-voodoo as you all show in the PS2 vs PSP vs DS vs Xbox threads ;).

Basically, Bitboys finally is ready with a whole family of GPUs from the very low-end (G10) with a DX7 like GPU with software T&L (done on the host CPU) and fixed-functionality pixel-pipeline (basically the sam rendering features of the GS in the PS2 more or less).

That family supposely scales up till the G40 chip which is their biggest and baddest mofo of a GPU.

Lots of rendering features, Vertex and Pixel Shaders, etc... I do not see any support for HOS (High-Order Surfaces like NURBS, subdivision surfaces, etc... to keep the memory footprint of geoemtry data low and reduce bandwidth requirements).

Explanantion: if I can send the data I need to render 4 Million Vertices in the effective space of 1 Million vertices, I cna go by with a bus to memory which is about 4x smaller and I can save some money.

Unless the G40 has a fast memory attached to it, a lot of its performance might go to waste.

True that Bitboys talk about their "efficient" memory controller (it might be as simple as a normal cross-bar memory controller: instead of one big 128 bits bus you would break it down in say 4x32 bits busses for 4 smaller memory controllers and a switch to regulate access to them from the chip).

They also support, DXT1 (DirectX) compressed textures and Early-Z checks which allow you to reject pixels before they have to be fully rendered (you check their depth before having to pass them through the Pixel Shader) which would increase the efficiency of the GPU as you would spend less time shading unseen/occluded pixels (it depends also on how many pixels per clock this unit can reject: the more, the better).

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Well if they actually finally delivered I'm glad for them. If my memory is correct (and it usually isn't) some of the guys at bitboys are former members (psi and trug) of the PC demo group future crew. They have come a long way since 1993...

Seth C

Panajev2001a said:
Skeptical till the very end... a selective skepticism or real skepticism ?

I'd call it realism. This is coming out, and so is Duke Nukem Forever. In both situations, I'll believe it when I see it. "It" being actual product on shelves.

Sho Nuff

Banned
I WOULD LIKE TO GO ON RECORD SAYING I ACTUALLY OWN A BITBOYS CARD.

It was a prototype board that I got from Brian Hook back when he was at id. Never ever got it running; hell, the drivers weren't even available. But somewhere in my house there lies an actual authentic functioning (?) piece of Bitboys hardware. Amazing!!!

Dave Long

Banned
But you never got it working. How do you know it's functional? Maybe they just made a mock board and it never ever worked?

Frankly, this is a whole lot of hot air until I see a card sitting on the shelf at Best Buy. NEC's track record isn't much better than Bitboys. A match made in heaven?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Dave Long said:
But you never got it working. How do you know it's functional? Maybe they just made a mock board and it never ever worked?

Frankly, this is a whole lot of hot air until I see a card sitting on the shelf at Best Buy. NEC's track record isn't much better than Bitboys. A match made in heaven?

I will remember this when you guys talk about HD-DVD ;).

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
There are some that too closely associate commercial availability with technological availability, ignoring that a product makes it to market on the strength of corporate relations, politics, and pre-existing deals at least as much as its technological merit. Bitboys always had something special even if their product deals kept falling through. And now, their licensing package for this impressive mobile/embedded technology is complete and available for licensing. From the perspective of their market (licensing IP to other semiconductor designers), they've delivered.

Though it's under NDA, it'd be interesting to know the die size, power consumption, and heat dissipation specs for their new solutions.

This line is a mid-generation entry between the cycles of the already-established players in the mobile market like Imagination Technologies, so direct comparisons will be difficult. But Bitboys definitely looks to be as skilled as the top companies in the market.

Top Bottom